Benfica manager’s quote about us

Ataturk

Não jogámos contra uma equipa qualquer, não queiram fazer do Rangers uma equipazinha. Não é uma grande equipa da Europa, como é óbvio, mas temos de perceber que os outros também jogam e têm valor No ano passado ganhou a duas das melhores equipas do nosso campeonato. Sabíamos que seria um jogo difícil, fizeram-nos dois golos nos dois remates à baliza. Voltámos a ter aquilo que é muito importante, para além da técnica e tática.

We didn't play against any team, don't want to make Rangers a little team. It is not a great team from Europe, of course, but we must realize that the others also play and have value Last year they won two of the best teams in our league. We knew it would be a difficult game, they scored two goals in both shots on goal. We returned to having what is very important, in addition to technique and tactics.

‘It is not a great team from Europe.’ Prick!

Is he saying those were our only 2 shots at goal?

According to the BBC, we had 8 shots with 6 on target.

No wonder Gerrard looked like he thought the guy was a dick.

He might be referring to them? The next sense would make more sense if that’s the case.

Gerrard didnt look happy with Rui Costa in his face at full time, wonder what they were saying. possibly Rui Costa building bridges?

On paper, they should be hammering us. Truth is though, we actually deserved more than 2 points over the 2 games. I honestly think we can beat any team in the Europa now.

We're a good European side, and we've achieved that status in 2 years. Incredible.

Im not sure a google translate is necessarily the definitive version of what he said including all context and nuance.

He may have been very respectful towards us in what he was saying.

Gerrard didn't seem to be amused by him at full time after the fist bump, he clearly was indicating to the bench he had a problem with him for some reason.

Clearly the reason being he's a lady's front bottom :))

Based on the stats I’m looking at we scored with 33% of our shots on target (6), they scored with 100% of their shots on target (2).

Reads a bit like sour grapes but perhaps lost in translation.

It's not a great translation to be honest. Lifted straight from Google which just provides a generic interpretation without considering context.

It is actually quite complimentary

We hit the bar and would have had a penalty if VAR had been in operation last night ,being disappointed with a 2-2 draw with Benfica says it all about us.

George Jesus.

Or Doddie Christ as he's known by me and the dog.

Reactions: Del
Words from a man who were hot favourites going these games but relied on two late goals to salvage a draw. Spoke to some Benfica who initially echoed what this tadger said but after pointing out they’re spending power compared to ours they actually backed down & complimented us on playing to our strengths.

Ah, if only we were bigger than them. Benfica are easily one of the most supported teams on the planet due to their influence in Brazil.

And not on the same scale but possibly the biggest supported club here in Luxembourg due to Portuguese immigration.

I saw at least several separate construction lorries with Benfica flags while walking the dog yesterday.

As Gerrard said they had the 4th biggest spend in the WORLD. They should be hammering us, I want these pricks in the knockouts. Get them at a bouncing Ibrox and he'll see how 'not great' we are again
All he's said is we are not classed as one of the current euro elite clubs, but we are a very good side who best 2 of their better domestic rivals last season.

I don't see how we can be angry about that.
It's hardly negative in its context.

It was a compliment. I watched a bit of his press conference and, in extremely limited, Portuguese (in that I only know a few words due to knowing a Portuguese family :) ) made out that he was saying we have had good results against two of the biggest Portuguese teams in recent seasons and that we are not easy to play against.

It did seem like he was suggesting we scored hugely against the run of play though but he absolutely was not putting us down.

I should add that I only watched it expecting some English questions and hoping to hear what happened with him and the gaffer.

He’s talking like he fancies the job at the Knew Camp
Bitter
Scruffy tramp
Delusions of grandeur

I see a pattern here

We didn't play against any team, don't want to make Rangers a little team. It is not a great team from Europe, of course, but we must realize that the others also play and have value Last year they won two of the best teams in our league.

I don't speak Portuguese but this seems to be like:

"We didn't play against just any team, they are not a little team. They are not a European great but we have to realise that other teams can play and have value. Last year they beat two of the best teams in our league"

He was being complimentary.

... but he still pinched Gerrard's cheeks (wtf) so he is a prick of the highest order.

Ah, if only we were bigger than them. Benfica are easily one of the most supported teams on the planet due to their influence in Brazil.
I'm sure up to recently they were the club with the biggest membership in the world.

230k paying members.

Benfica are huge worldwide with massive spending power and the fact that we’ve scored 5 goals against them in two keenly contested ties is testament to how far we’ve come.

Back