BBC - Relieve Pundit Of Duties Over 'Handbags' Comment

Jan Žižka

A disgraceful decision.

If I was on the receiving end of those call/calls, I'd have been telling the complainers to f... off. It's the correct reply to the clowns.

FOOTBALL pundit has been suspended by the BBC — for describing a scuffle between two players as “handbags”.

Steve “Tommo” Thompson was relieved of his duties for using the familiar matchday phrase after listeners complained.

Steve 'Tommo' Thompson was relieved of his duties after describing a scuffle between players as 'handbags'

Steve 'Tommo' Thompson was relieved of his duties after describing a scuffle between players as 'handbags'

He made the comment on BBC Radio Lincolnshire during Lincoln City’s 0-0 draw away at Accrington Stanley in the Sky Bet League One last Saturday.

It is so common it appears in the Collins Dictionary as “an incident in which people, especially sportsmen, fight or threaten to fight, but without real intent to inflict harm”.

Freelancer Steve, 65, who played for and managed Lincoln, was said to be “devastated” by the BBC’s decision.

Steve made the comment on BBC Radio Lincolnshire during Lincoln City’s 1-0 win at Swindon Town in the Sky Bet League One on Tuesday night

Lincoln fan Bernard O’Mahoney is campaigning for his reinstatement. He said: “As any football fan knows, ‘handbags’ is an incredibly well-known saying.

“I can’t begin to think who’d be offended by it. The BBC has lost touch with the public.”

'Handbags' appears in the Collins Dictionary as 'an incident in which people, especially sportsmen, fight or threaten to fight, but without real intent to inflict harm'

Fan Marcus Greatorex added: “It’s just an old term. The BBC should pay more attention to songs on their stations promoting knife crime and drug use.”

The BBC said: “After listeners raised concerns, Steve acknowledged some of his comments on air didn’t meet the standards we expect. He is taking a break but will be back in the New Year.”

THE SUN SAYS​

THE BBC has been in the grip of “woke” madness longer than almost anyone.

But dropping a footy pundit for calling an ineffectual on-pitch scuffle “handbags” is a new level of foolishness.

Who exactly is offended by this term, so common it’s in the dictionary?

No one outside the imagination of hyper-sensitive producers.

The BBC is growing more distant by the day from the public whose licence fees it needs.

It’s one own-goal after another.

The BBC are running scared. When Craig Brown was on Radio Scotland discussing how to beat Serbia, and said, ‘If you want to beat the Indians you have to kill the chief.’ The flustered presenter felt the need to point out that of course he was talking about Serbia’s playmakers.

We are 'woke' to the point of the Grauniad publishing articles stating that child labour in the Third World is OK & ignorant westerners are in no position to judge. It's character building. And with those suicide nets in the clothes factories it's safe now. Also the article had the seal of approval from Bill Gates. And not because he wants 9yo kids mining for metals to stick into high street PCs where Windows ain't optional.

1606533706365.png

You can use protected group privilege to justify anything these days.

That guy will have been ear-marked for replacement by a BAME/Wimminz type.

Look at BBC fixtures/scores most weekends. You'll see Women's Friendly International above the Championship, FA Cup or SPFL. Similarly some wxmn from the wxmns national team will be on TV/radio during real football & presenter will ask really vague questions because he's looked up the score. He's sure as f*** not watched it.

Way of the world. Men, everything you have belongs to us. And if you come near us we'll scream "misogyny".

Recommended Book at Bedtime:

Douglas Murray - The Madness of Crowds

Terrible decision but even worse patter, to be fair.

Straight form the Billy Dodds, Andy Walker School of commentary.

People who use the word "woke" don't normally have opinions worth listening to.

That being said, even I find this ridiculous.

Easy move for the BBC to look caring.
He's freelance with probably few employment rights.
Would it have been the same with a full time employee?
I'd love it, just love it (Keegan mode here) for someone on tonight's Match of the Day (not Lineker obviously) to use "handbags" if the opportunity arises.

This stupidity needs to be be challenged and called out for the arrant nonsense it is. Let's see the overpaid BBC woke commissar apologise to the British public for a change.

Would it have been ok if he has said “man bags” ?
might be worth tuning in to BBC sport sound so I can get offended

I posted this on another thread recently, exercising my newly found video posting skills. One for bears of a certain vintage, when woke meant “not sleeping”.

I mean, the BBC statement literally says he’ll be back in a few weeks in the new year and had agreed some of his language was inappropriate? I don’t think there’s anything wrong with the handbags phrase, but I think this is just the sun trying to stir controversy

My goodness. Just look at this Hitlerian hate-filled scum-f*ck.

Not only was she running a black supremacist page, SHE WAS RACIALLY APPROPRIATING BLACK EMOTICONS!

Did Keith Floyd die of a drug overdose for this?

(I love the subject of 'woke' because I can always find something more mental than yesterday within 5 minutes)
Keith Floyd, the alcoholicTV cook? :)

We are 'woke' to the point of the Grauniad publishing articles stating that child labour in the Third World is OK & ignorant westerners are in no position to judge. It's character building. And with those suicide nets in the clothes factories it's safe now. Also the article had the seal of approval from Bill Gates. And not because he wants 9yo kids mining for metals to stick into high street PCs where Windows ain't optional.

View attachment 1404

You can use protected group privilege to justify anything these days.

That guy will have been ear-marked for replacement by a BAME/Wimminz type.

Look at BBC fixtures/scores most weekends. You'll see Women's Friendly International above the Championship, FA Cup or SPFL. Similarly some wxmn from the wxmns national team will be on TV/radio during real football & presenter will ask really vague questions because he's looked up the score. He's sure as f*** not watched it.

Way of the world. Men, everything you have belongs to us. And if you come near us we'll scream "misogyny".

Recommended Book at Bedtime:

Douglas Murray - The Madness of Crowds

When talking internationals they also now use the suffix “men’s” instead of just saying Scotland or England, etc. Noticed it after the recent qualifiers - “ Scotland’s men’s team qualified for the euros”

Sky are as bad. Headlines on SSN banner about the Spurs manager getting binned - it was their women’s team. Nowhere near the profile of a story they would have used that for even a few months ago.

All this nonsense is taking away the real issues that many feel exist. If you look at footballers taking the knee before kick off it has lost any relevance now as the majority of people don't even take any notice now. It's just a fashion now and isn't having any effect.

It seems only certain groups or genders or lack thereof or religions or backgrounds can be offended using BBC logic.

Im offended by the BBC pandering and pussyfooting around all sorts of utter nonsense whilst pissing off run of the mill ordinary people who have no prejudices but are treated like racist, sexist homophobes

The BBC are a joke

Last edited:
The BBC can %^*& right off with their PC crap and how they thrust it down our throats as if we must concur with it. Savile was a beast and they protected him. Who are the fuckin BBC anyway?
100% mate.

The have neck lecturing us when it is as clear as day that their organisatio is/was and will continue to harbour known child molesters.

Makes me sick.

Back