BBC - Relieve Pundit Of Duties Over 'Handbags' Comment

absolute pish and not a sacking offence, surely they could have spoke to him instead and explained there are hunks out there who constantly look to be offended

The same rotten organisation that have effectively banned themselves from Ibrox.

See how things add up!!

When talking internationals they also now use the suffix “men’s” instead of just saying Scotland or England, etc. Noticed it after the recent qualifiers - “ Scotland’s men’s team qualified for the euros”

Sky are as bad. Headlines on SSN banner about the Spurs manager getting binned - it was their women’s team. Nowhere near the profile of a story they would have used that for even a few months ago.
Rangers tag news stories on the club website mens and womens to differentiate.

I mean, the BBC statement literally says he’ll be back in a few weeks in the new year and had agreed some of his language was inappropriate? I don’t think there’s anything wrong with the handbags phrase, but I think this is just the sun trying to stir controversy
"handbags" is the one that will generate news but by the sounds of it there's been a few other things he's said too.

They'll have a list of phrases not to use. If hes used phrases on it, then it's a complete nothing story. %^*&, I worked for a retailer (Comet) where we'd get bollocked for approaching customers and using the word "help" in our approach.

Last edited:
I thought the new Director General was to sort this BS out.
I'd love to know UK figures but I heard that 20% of Americans have a Twitter account but only 8% are active users. Could we guess and massively over estimate that 6% of that are the perma-offended sort and it's that fraction of the population that are being bowed to. Need to stop

The predictable comments on here. However if you want to be annoyed (copied from Lincoln)
Annoying cliches
1 It was a game of two halves
2 It's a six pointer
3 Goals wins games
4 They scored too early
5 He certainly knows where the goal is
6 If that was on target, it would have been a goal
7 Schoolboy defending
8 Good squad on paper
9 Yard of pace
10 Your Rooneys/Lampards/whoevers
11 Cultured left foot
12 He gave 110%
13 He's lost the dressing room
14 He fell into the offside trap
15 He's got genuine pace
16 Away goals count double
17 It could be a cricket score
18 A good time to score
19 A team that likes to play football
20 In his locker
21 This game needs a goal
22 You can't win the title in August but you can lose it
23 He was in acres of space
24 A no-nonsense player
25 He'll have nightmares about that for years
26 That was a great cross but there was no one there
28 Some tired legs out there
29 A bit of 'handbags' going on there
30 Beckham territory

We are 'woke' to the point of the Grauniad publishing articles stating that child labour in the Third World is OK & ignorant westerners are in no position to judge. It's character building. And with those suicide nets in the clothes factories it's safe now. Also the article had the seal of approval from Bill Gates. And not because he wants 9yo kids mining for metals to stick into high street PCs where Windows ain't optional.

View attachment 1404

You can use protected group privilege to justify anything these days.

That guy will have been ear-marked for replacement by a BAME/Wimminz type.

Look at BBC fixtures/scores most weekends. You'll see Women's Friendly International above the Championship, FA Cup or SPFL. Similarly some wxmn from the wxmns national team will be on TV/radio during real football & presenter will ask really vague questions because he's looked up the score. He's sure as f*** not watched it.

Way of the world. Men, everything you have belongs to us. And if you come near us we'll scream "misogyny".

Recommended Book at Bedtime:

Douglas Murray - The Madness of Crowds
Had that article been written by a white man for the Daily Mail, you know the Guardian and it's readers would have the complete opposite view to it

Absolutely ridiculous. The BBC credibility as a broadcaster is fast disappearing these days.
The bbc have no credibility it’s a national service which we the public pay for and is run like an old boys private school club where liberal f@cking apologists have found a permanent home and platform from which to take offence

A disgraceful decision.

If I was on the receiving end of those call/calls, I'd have been telling the complainers to f... off. It's the correct reply to the clowns.

FOOTBALL pundit has been suspended by the BBC — for describing a scuffle between two players as “handbags”.

Steve “Tommo” Thompson was relieved of his duties for using the familiar matchday phrase after listeners complained.

Steve 'Tommo' Thompson was relieved of his duties after describing a scuffle between players as 'handbags''Tommo' Thompson was relieved of his duties after describing a scuffle between players as 'handbags'

Steve 'Tommo' Thompson was relieved of his duties after describing a scuffle between players as 'handbags'

He made the comment on BBC Radio Lincolnshire during Lincoln City’s 0-0 draw away at Accrington Stanley in the Sky Bet League One last Saturday.

It is so common it appears in the Collins Dictionary as “an incident in which people, especially sportsmen, fight or threaten to fight, but without real intent to inflict harm”.

Freelancer Steve, 65, who played for and managed Lincoln, was said to be “devastated” by the BBC’s decision.

Steve made the comment on BBC Radio Lincolnshire during Lincoln City’s 1-0 win at Swindon Town in the Sky Bet League One on Tuesday night

Lincoln fan Bernard O’Mahoney is campaigning for his reinstatement. He said: “As any football fan knows, ‘handbags’ is an incredibly well-known saying.

“I can’t begin to think who’d be offended by it. The BBC has lost touch with the public.”

'Handbags' appears in the Collins Dictionary as 'an incident in which people, especially sportsmen, fight or threaten to fight, but without real intent to inflict harm'

Fan Marcus Greatorex added: “It’s just an old term. The BBC should pay more attention to songs on their stations promoting knife crime and drug use.”

The BBC said: “After listeners raised concerns, Steve acknowledged some of his comments on air didn’t meet the standards we expect. He is taking a break but will be back in the New Year.”

THE SUN SAYS​

THE BBC has been in the grip of “woke” madness longer than almost anyone.

But dropping a footy pundit for calling an ineffectual on-pitch scuffle “handbags” is a new level of foolishness.

Who exactly is offended by this term, so common it’s in the dictionary?

No one outside the imagination of hyper-sensitive producers.

The BBC is growing more distant by the day from the public whose licence fees it needs.

It’s one own-goal after another.
Great statement by the Sun.

I am going to hazard a guess and say that those who complained don't attend football matches. If they do their heads would explode.

Also, why can't blokes have something they can enjoy without the interference of women.

Go woke go broke. BBC will be gone within 5 years.
Tbf, people were saying just that 5 years ago. I hope you're wrong however. BBC provides lost of excellent programmes, documentaries, dramas, music programmes, nature programmes etc etc. Also, the radio, World Service or 5Live, can be a bit of a godsend for the insomniacs amongst us.

The predictable comments on here. However if you want to be annoyed (copied from Lincoln)
Annoying cliches
2 It's a six pointer
3 Goals wins games
4 They scored too early
7 Schoolboy defending
8 Good squad on paper
9 Yard of pace
11 Cultured left foot
12 He gave 110%
15 He's got genuine pace
18 A good time to score
20 In his locker
24 A no-nonsense player
30 Beckham territory

All part of the traditional football commentators book of clichés and none the worse for the that. They might be termed lazy and unimaginative and annoying from time to time, but all part of the tapestry of the the game.

I'd guess most of us are happy to hear them getting used.... while they're still allowed.

The BBC and the pc crap is beyond a joke now . I know that a View from the terrace has had mixed views on here but the two main articles on it last night were BLM and women’s football.

Annoying cliches
2 It's a six pointer
3 Goals wins games
4 They scored too early
7 Schoolboy defending
8 Good squad on paper
9 Yard of pace
11 Cultured left foot
12 He gave 110%
15 He's got genuine pace
18 A good time to score
20 In his locker
24 A no-nonsense player
30 Beckham territory
The resident FF woke spokesman rears their head.

Last edited:
BBC have become a shower of bed wetting namby pampy apologists. The sooner this stealth taxing pariah on the country are shelved the better. How many people actually believe the political and social agenda driven by this draconian organisation. The BBC are a laughing stock

All this nonsense is taking away the real issues that many feel exist. If you look at footballers taking the knee before kick off it has lost any relevance now as the majority of people don't even take any notice now. It's just a fashion now and isn't having any effect.
Well Jermain Defoe doesn't. I think it was the Hamilton game where the ref blew the whistle & he took off across the centre circle before realising everyone had taken a knee and dropped onto one knee half way across the centre circle. :))

Back