Cedric Itten

Status
Not open for further replies.
For a big guy, some of his turns when receiving the ball were some of the best I've seen this season, kust needs a wee bit luck in front of goal

Just needs a run in the team, was desperate to score last night and that hindered some of his decision making. He put in a shift, didn’t stop working and trying to be involved- the commitment is there.

Roofe and Morelos in current form are untouchable, even Defoe has been sensational every time he’s on the pitch.

A very good problem to have imo.

I'll crack the jokes.

Cedric Itten, a full international for a team ranked 16th in the world, won't be going on loan to some jobber mob.

The guy is learning his trade but showed against Kilmarnock and Motherwell that he still has plenty to offer Rangers this season.

"The guy is learning his trade"

I agree with that, but he is 4th choice at the minute and will not be getting enough game time to learn his trade, this season at least.

What is the point in him sitting on the bench for the season when he can be out actively playing games and hopefully scoring goals.

He isn't on the same level at the minute as Morelos or Roofe, Defoe is a completely different player but he will be picked ahead of him.

I agree completely that he needs time.
The only issue is, when is he going to get the game time to do that?
Morelos and Roofe are our two main men, and rightly so.
Then Defoe is totally reliable when called upon as well, it’s hard for him.

He must suck in every piece of advice he can on finishing, from the absolute master that is Defoe. Composure is the key and the wee man has me uttering the words "fu*k me" with every class finish he ads to his catalogue.
Watching his goal yesterday you knew he was finding the bottom corner as soon as he shaped to hit it.

Itten on the other hand snatching at his chances a bit recently. I think that’s down to a combination of him being desperate to make an impact and having limited game time (tough to play your way into form)

We signed a very promising striker who was in the form of his career upon joining, barely used him and are now playing him out of position once every month if he's lucky.

I'd be fairly annoyed if I was him.
There’s still a solid belief that Itten and Roofe were bought to offset the loss of Morelos and had that happened he would probably have seen more game time.

There’s also the simple factor of his moving to a new country to join a much bigger club who have a very specific way of playing and training and that can all just take time to adapt to.

I think he’ll come good. He just needs fine tuning to our frequencies, although I do agree that playing out wide doesn’t really seem to be his forte.

There’s still a solid belief that Itten and Roofe were bought to offset the loss of Morelos and had that happened he would probably have seen more game time.

There’s also the simple factor of his moving to a new country to join a much bigger club who have a very specific way of playing and training and that can all just take time to adapt to.

I think he’ll come good. He just needs fine tuning to our frequencies, although I do agree that playing out wide doesn’t really seem to be his forte.
That belief is incredibly silly, we don't operate like that anymore and we can't afford to anyway.

Defoe looked finished towards the end of last season, Morelos had lost his form for the third season running after Christmas, we badly needed more options.

Fast forward to now and neither of them play as a central striker, we are giving a 38 year old minutes ahead of a 23 year old that hasn't had a chance.

I respect and like Defoe a lot but in my view there is no scenario where it's preferable to play him over Itten.

Struggled to cope with that pitch yesterday. A real mixed bag of reasonable touches and poor finishing. Like to see him bully defenders a bit more, he’s a big lad after all. Could go either way for big Cedric.

He was shoe horned in yesterday on the rhs....not ideal, very good header for the second goal but still as many indifferent moments as there are good ones.

It's going to be hard for him to make the impact he wants the way we are playing.

He had some good moments, he’s definitely lacking in confidence in front of goal as evidenced by the way he snatched at a couple of efforts. He looks like a guy who’s feeling the pressure to make his limited minutes count which is perfectly normal, he’s a young player in a new environment and so you don’t necessarily expect him to have the cool head and the composure that Defoe has.

That being said I cringe more when Itten misses than when other players do because I know there’s already a few throbbers absolutely gunning for him on here.

I don't think Itten's doing so badly.

Getting an odd start here or 20 min there won't be helping his game. But I still see a contribution from him.

Eventually he'll get a bit of a run and get among the goals and that's when we can make a judgement.

If he played in defoes role then I’d be quick to judge but given he was asked to play on the right of a front 3 then yes he done ok

Not been impressed with what I’ve seen , don’t think he suits our style or looks like he has many goals in him. Would love to be proven wrong.

"The guy is learning his trade"

I agree with that, but he is 4th choice at the minute and will not be getting enough game time to learn his trade, this season at least.

What is the point in him sitting on the bench for the season when he can be out actively playing games and hopefully scoring goals.

He isn't on the same level at the minute as Morelos or Roofe, Defoe is a completely different player but he will be picked ahead of him.

I see where you're coming from, but I would think the fact he can do a turn out wide was a big incentive on Gerrard signing off on the deal. We supposedly have a database of about 50 targets or more for each position, so it seems right he would value that kind of versatility highly.

If Morelos left and we only had Roofe and Defoe, then sure, I'd be saying that he needs to hit the ground running. Instead, for the first time in years — perhaps since someone like Naismith arriving — we have the luxury of easing him in. He's younger than Morelos, mind. It's actually a blessing that he doesn't need to score every game as Rangers strikers are traditionally judged, and instead, can get to grips playing out wide where there is less pressure.

As an aside, I don't think his finishing is bad at all. He missed a chance similar to last night on his debut; it's clear he's a big lad who loves to absolutely leather it in, which looks great when it comes off. 19 goals in 34 outings in the Swiss top-flight last season suggest he knows what he's doing - I'm pretty sure his XG stats were consistent with his scoring as well.

Itten is a really interesting signing in terms of strategy. He's probably the first time we've spent decent money on a "project" under the new regime.

Not been impressed with what I’ve seen , don’t think he suits our style or looks like he has many goals in him. Would love to be proven wrong.
He's been getting played out of position, he's adapting to a new team and country. He will come good once he's fully settled and can get a run at no9 but it's difficult right now with the options we have.

Were lucky to be in the position we are in.

We dont need to throw him straight in as we have strength just now.

He can settle till new year but then I expect him to show his worth.

I have saw some things that suggest there is a player for us but he really needs to get on the front foot now and kick on like the Motherwell game.

If not he will be chopped.

Seems like the fella has a good attitude about him tho.

He's been getting played out of position, he's adapting to a new team and country. He will come good once he's fully settled and can get a run at no9 but it's difficult right now with the options we have.
Don’t see it with him , but hopefully you’re right.

I think it's great we're currently in the form that we are in, that Itten has next to no pressure on him to perform beyond his current output. I'm not sure where I see a consistent run of games coming from, for him, but being able to integrate into life here without the need for him to be producing is a luxury that not many are afforded.

I totally give up with our support at times lest face it is rank not every signing works out and for whatever reason the lad won’t come good here sorry to be brutal but it’s a fact let’s just move on

Definitely shagged your Mrs.

I totally give up with our support at times lest face it is rank not every signing works out and for whatever reason the lad won’t come good here sorry to be brutal but it’s a fact let’s just move on
Yes, not every signing works and this one may or may not work but given the fact you have had it in for him since he pretty much made his debut and made it clear you would have much preferred Lawerence Shankland then it’s hard to take what you say too seriously.
Loads have struggled initially, not just him

It can’t be a fact if it hasn’t happened yet.

Our current left back is as good an example as any that players can come good after being given a bit of time to settle and adjust to playing for Rangers.

Wouldn’t surprise me if you were telling everyone it was a “fact” that Barisic was “rank” two seasons ago either.

Lol the only certainty is he is useless

You filled the last Itten thread with nonsense, telling us that his first goal at Fir Park was scored from a mis-controlled poor first touch, basically a fluke. That's garbage, as is your comment he's useless.
He's shown enough in his career to date and in his limited opportunities at Rangers that he has the quality to lead the line for Rangers. In due course, you will be proved to be the one that is useless :)

Like the way he's been managed. He'll get minutes and goals throughout the season, eased in rather than flung in.

It can’t be a fact if it hasn’t happened yet.

Our current left back is as good an example as any that players can come good after being given a bit of time to settle and adjust to playing for Rangers.

Wouldn’t surprise me if you were telling everyone it was a “fact” that Barisic was “rank” two seasons ago either.
Don’t think it was this poster, but there was genuinely a poster on here 2 months ago who wanted Halliday or Flanagan ahead of Borna.

Can’t remember what one but either way it was mental.

Think he's a clever player, he will do well.

I'm surprised at the level of criticism he's taken, because I completely agree - his link up play is very clever.

He's got a good touch and is able to see the pass quickly. Some stuff has come off, some hasn't, which is the nature of being an attacking player. There's no rush or need for him to be excellent right now as the team is flying. I don't understand the impatience or quick judgements at all.

I don't see him ever being a top class striker but that doesn't concern me at all - he is here to do a job and play his part in the squad and I think he will do that. He offers something different up front, is a handful for defences at domestic level and will probably chip in with double figures each season.

Sometimes you need players like that. It would be great to have 4 Morelos level strikers but that's not realistic with our budget. We should be happy we have a guy who looks happy to play his part and not make a fuss about not starting. He'll be fine for us.

Yes, not every signing works and this one may or may not work but given the fact you have had it in for him since he pretty much made his debut and made it clear you would have much preferred Lawerence Shankland then it’s hard to take what you say too seriously.
Loads have struggled initially, not just him
Listen let’s get one thing straight I didn’t want Shankland I merely used him as a comparison I knew within 3 times of seeing Itten in action he wasn’t going to cut it that was my opinion I haven’t seen anything to make me rethink Some on here are clutching at straws he holds ball up well he links play well at the end of the day he cost £2.5m to score goals is he any better than Sadiq who was heavily criticised but was given 1 start and judged yet Itten somehow is being given an easy time of it by our support

He's not a first choice at the moment but he's shown that he's a good option to have.

Listen let’s get one thing straight I didn’t want Shankland I merely used him as a comparison I knew within 3 times of seeing Itten in action he wasn’t going to cut it that was my opinion I haven’t seen anything to make me rethink Some on here are clutching at straws he holds ball up well he links play well at the end of the day he cost £2.5m to score goals is he any better than Sadiq who was heavily criticised but was given 1 start and judged yet Itten somehow is being given an easy time of it by our support

He's miles better than Sadiq was for us.

And he wasn't signed for 3 months. We can't judge him until his time with us is done.

He's miles better than Sadiq was for us.

And he wasn't signed for 3 months. We can't judge him until his time with us is done.
I don’t understand that logic ? He has a 4 yr contract are you saying we wait until the 4 years are up before judging? That’s absurd. Maybe I am a bit premature in judging him and we should give him until end of season but mark my words he won’t see out his deal and will be gone sooner rather than later

I don’t understand that logic ? He has a 4 yr contract are you saying we wait until the 4 years are up before judging? That’s absurd. Maybe I am a bit premature in judging him and we should give him until end of season but mark my words he won’t see out his deal and will be gone sooner rather than later

Why is it absurd? Every player should be judged after their time, not during it. We've had numerous examples of people starting well and fading away, or vice versa.

We've also seen players leave for good money which has boosted their judgements on their time with us, or some see out contracts which has hurt said opinions.

There's an absolute ton of things that will determine the utility of a player to Rangers, so judging in the moment is a flawed way to go.

Looks a decent player who i would like to see more of through the middle. Will be more of a long term player and I'm looking forward to seeing him. His work rate, application and attitude are there to see so should just be the final touches and polishing that's needed.

Looks a decent player who i would like to see more of through the middle. Will be more of a long term player and I'm looking forward to seeing him. His work rate, application and attitude are there to see so should just be the final touches and polishing that's needed.
At 23 soon to be 24 years old and costing around £2.5m I expect a lot more than a work in progress!!!

That surface didn't suit him in any way.Should have scored but hopefully he'll do well as I hope all our players do well.

Thought he had quite a good game yesterday outside the box. Link up play and work rate were excellent I though, problem he has is he is desperate to score.

Really would like to see him get a shot through the middle, I certainly think he will be morelos' replacement
I really like the look of the guy. Gives 110% good with the ball at his feet and work rate is good. I was desperate for him to score yesterday.

For a big guy he’s good with the ball at his feet. His link up play is good as well. He’s been played out of position since he came here which is unfortunate for him. It would be good to see him in his natural position. Can tell he’s trying to hard when he does play because he’s not had much opportunities recently, same with hagi.

What the %^*& are you on about, man? Sadiq?

"I knew within 3 times of seeing in action he wasn't cut it." Bwahaha. The arrogance of that.

He was a mixed bag yesterday but it was his header that led to Bassey's goal and he won the free kick for Borna's gem so he did contribute, which pleased the gaffer going by his post match interview. Like many 'foreigners' especially younger ones, i don't expect fireworks straight away but I like what I've seen so far, I think his game will benefit from our excellent coaching and working with players like Defoe and Roofe.

You do realize that you are in a very small minority with your opinion here, in what is a generally impatient support at the best of times. Our management team, who scouted the guy and currently have a great record on that front, also state that they are very happy with the way he's settled in and the progress he's making. He also had a couple of injury setbacks.
But you continue to spout garbage as 'facts' and we should all 'mark your words' that he'll be gone sooner than later. You'd probably have said the same about Mark Hateley 3 months into his Rangers career. You're just embarrassing yourself!

Thought he had quite a good game yesterday outside the box. Link up play and work rate were excellent I though, problem he has is he is desperate to score.

Really would like to see him get a shot through the middle, I certainly think he will be morelos' replacement
Nowhere near being our starting #9 but I'm sure the coaches have a plan, and so we need to be patient.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back