I’ve Stopped My Club 1872 Contributions In Light Of The Proposed King Shares Puchase

Lord Summerisle

Administrator
Staff member
After much deliberation, I’ve decided to no longer contribute to Club 1872.

I don’t think that it’s too much of a stretch to say that recent announcements are a bit of a kick in the teeth to our current wealthy investors, who are all loyal supporters like you and I.

If I’d invested the sums of money these shareholders had, I’d be concerned that a fans’ group could soon have a majority say in the club I’ve heavily invested in.

For me, the not inconsiderable sum of £13 million would do a lot more good going to the club than any individual.
And I say that as a big Dave King fan.

That the Club 1872 fans’ group seems to be extremely poorly run would only add to my concerns.

As someone who has contributed each month to Club 1872 for a long time, the King news just doesn’t sit right with me.

Club 1872 members were polled recently to ascertain interest in a much smaller shares purchase, yet there is no such similar poll for a potentially much larger purchase.
How can this be?

Our club desperately needs money – and, as a Club 1872 member, I’d far rather our money went towards new shares, so the £13 million that has been suggested goes to the club.

And I’m quite sure the current board would be very receptive to such a move.

King has every right to sell his shares – and I’ll be eternally grateful for all his efforts – but I think this is a terrible move.

I trust King enough to be able to sell his shares to other investors who would have RFC’s best interests at heart.

Apologies if this seems overly dramatic, but I can no longer support Club 1872 on this new path they’ve chosen without even consulting members.

Any money I’ll be spending from now on will exclusively be going direct to the club.

I appreciate some may think this is a ‘look at me’ post – it’s not... and I also appreciate that some may question the need for a new thread – but I think that people deciding to walk away from Club 1872 in light of recent events is reason enough for a thread in its own right.

Anyone else feel similar?

Been thinking along very similar lines. Been waiting to see if anyone says anything that will make me change my mind but nobody has yet because there's probably little else to be say.

The key to me is we contribute expecting the money to go to the club in time. That won't be the case following this announcement.

Said before Club 1872 will split into factions and when one faction doesnt get their way they will walk away and cash flow becomes an issue.
Not implying this is what OP is doing btw.
Club 1872 are already suffering from infighting and I cant see this wotking as a majority shareholder. Fans having a seat on the board and a substantial shareholding is good but not to the level of a potential veto.

You know your own mind and that's not for debate.
Can I ask though, is the prime concern C1872 and the monies secondary?

Personally, I think it's sensible to strengthen your position (not a 'power grab' as some have named it), especially at the terms DK has offered.

Not fully knowing the motivations of DK (and I doubt we ever will) I feel this is probably the best course of action but with that brings the uncertanty of the current C1872 administration

Looking through all of these threads the common concern is C1872, perhaps that's where the clarity of purpose should be made crystal.

I'm sure there's shedloads to say on it but we'll see how it plays out

C1872 (based upon the feedback here) need some 'brand refresh'

Agree with op. I have never signed up to Club1872 so some will say i have no say in this. The whole timing of the annoncement for me is very poor. I agree with op that the other investors must be very unhappy with this. Its makes sense now why in the accounts, the £24m from this season and next season is being funded by Douglas Park and John Bennett and no mention of Dave King. I think there is more to come out about all this.

I’ve just managed to sign up to the additional funding amount required on top of my normal subscription.

you trust King to sell to other investors? How’s that worked out in the past? Who do you think has £13m to spend on dead money?

other Than those involved now how many of our super wealthy fans have stood up, I’ll tell you a secret. None, fuckall.

its time we all took responsibility. Hearts a fraction of our support have ragdolled us supporting their ownership ambitions. It’s because of this type of narrative.

I very much doubt King has made this move without letting the other major shareholders know the plan. When the other investors came on board I’m sure then would have known of King’s end game for his shares.

If not, then this is a worry and unnecessary off the field distraction.

Feels like a buzzard move, my main concerns are the £13m not going to the club and the ability of Rangers fans to come together under one banner. History tells us a lot of bears can fall out over the colour blue.

Been considering the same if I am honest. Have been a big supporter of Club1872 for years and invited them down to our functions to generate members but can’t help but feel the same as OP.

This money will be much better served going directly to the club.

Im not opposed to the idea, and was pretty much on the fence at the time of the announcement, but the infighting ive seen since makes me feel this would be a bad idea.

The first time we need to see action from c1872 as major shareholder will almost inevitably see a major split develop between those who like what c1872 are trying to do, and those who don't.

In all honesty I love the direction the club is heading in under the current board and ownership. So id prefer them to get a chance to execute their medium and long term vision.

I’ve personally never before been in a position to be a share holder , however I may now have a wee bit more disposable income . I’d be very open to purchasing shares if they money went directly to the club to utilise on eg playing / coaching staff or development of Ibrox for example .
But I feel what C1872 is proposing is this potential new money being lost to the club .
Therefore on those lines I’d keep my money in my pocket and support the club by other means

I don’t think that it’s too much of a stretch to say that recent announcements are a bit of a kick in the teeth to our current wealthy investors, who are all loyal supporters like you and I.

If I’d invested the sums of money these shareholders had, I’d be concerned that a fans’ group could soon have a majority say in the club I’ve heavily invested in.

For me, the not inconsiderable sum of £13 million would do a lot more good going to the club than any individual.

That the Club 1872 fans’ group seems to be extremely poorly run would only add to my concerns.

As someone who has contributed each month to Club 1872 for a long time, the King news just doesn’t sit right with me.

Club 1872 members were polled recently to ascertain interest in a much smaller shares purchase, yet there is no such similar poll for a potentially much larger purchase.
How can this be?

Our club desperately needs money – and, as a Club 1872 member, I’d far rather our money went towards new shares, so the £13 million that has been suggested goes to the club.

King has every right to sell his shares – and I’ll be eternally grateful for all his efforts – but I think this is a terrible move.

I trust King enough to be able to sell his shares to other investors who would have RFC’s best interests at heart.

Apologies if this seems overly dramatic, but I can no longer support Club 1872 on this new path they’ve chosen without even consulting members.

Any money I’ll be spending from now on will exclusively be going direct to the club.

I appreciate some may think this is a ‘look at me’ post – it’s not... and I also appreciate that some may question the need for a new thread – but I think that people deciding to walk away from Club 1872 in light of recent events is reason enough for a thread in its own right.

Im another C1872 contributor, and your thoughts are understandable.

I haven’t had enough time in the last few days to properly read everything, but a lot of your points resonate with me SL.

I think what is becoming clear is the board need to say something now.

That might be a bit of a departure from what I usually say, I am vocal against the 'we need a statement' crowd everytime someone says something we don't like.

But there needs to be clarity. If the board of directors wish for fans to back Club 1872 and buy the shares then say so. If they would rather we put money to the club, through a share issue or other means, then say so.

Silence will just result in fans being unsure what to do and nothing getting done most probably.

C1872 was set up to buy shares to protect the club from hostile people in the boardroom getting control and forcing through resolutions to strip the club. Where the shares come from make little difference to that. The important thing for the future of the club is having the correct level to prevent that.

Of course any pound spent we’d rather go directly the club, but hasn’t this £13m already done exactly that we are noW looking to ‘pay Dave King back’

In return we have a club in a healthy position (we may not have had a club at all) and we have a very large % of fan ownership

If club 1872 can raise 13 million they should invest that money into Rangers not Dave Kings Bank account.
Would it be preferable if King sells his shares on the open market to anyone with the cash? It would benefit King financially - Not so sure it would benefit the club, In the meantime C1872 can continue hoovering up multiples in any forthcoming share issues.

So if for talking sake Club 1872 raise the funds and we then own 25% what is their stance in future share issues and the knock on effect that has in reducing our holding if we don't have the funds to maintain the 25% holding. Basically we buy these shares and the club still needs 23m further investment, we could buy them and then vote to dilute them in the same year!

If club 1872 can raise 13 million they should invest that money into Rangers not Dave Kings Bank account.
The 13m to be fair is what King fronted up in the first place....

He done the job asked of him and now feels the club is stable enough to move on and prosper on its own two feet which may include a supporters having over a 25% holding in their club.

The money has already gone into the club. DK wants to take his money back out
You and I know he means on top of the money he's trying to take out. Gibson already said he would increase his holding if the chance came up... There's a chance to get some of your money back right away.

In house fighting has been going on at c1872 since the day it was started, they might all be passionate about the same thing but there's no way you can have a majority holding in a club if you aren't all on the same page.

How can this be?

No, and remember it was Dave King that saved our club.

He is giving the fans the chance to own part of the club.

If we don't take it up the so be it, but we will never have another chance.

...I trust King enough to be able to sell his shares to other investors who would have RFC’s best interests at heart"

If you don't trust him selling them to Rangers fans (whatever anyone thinks that's what C1872 are) then where is your confidence coming from that another investor has our interests at heart? Is there another rich Rangers supporting investor that we haven't heard from yet, to me it seems like we've got just about all of them already on board as investors

Last edited:
Im another C1872 contributor, and your thoughts are understandable.

I haven’t had enough time in the last few days to properly read everything, but a lot of your points resonate with me SL.
Same here,I'm paying my monthly for the near future but 'Im not sure where its going to lead us.
To be honest I don't think i will be setting up a legacy. Not had enough information to commit straight away.

Would it be preferable if King sells his shares on the open market to anyone with the cash? It would benefit King financially - Not so sure it would benefit the club, In the meantime C1872 can continue hoovering up multiples in any forthcoming share issues.

The club could get lucky and the buyer could be a Saudi royal.

It could be the next David Murray.

Best case scenario is that it's another lifelong fan who wants to own a controlling interest in the club but who isn't going to repeat David Murray's mismanagement. Worst case scenario? Chuck Glazer? Stan Kroenke? Charles Green?

As a supporter of the German 50% +1 model I'd be very concerned about the next David Murray appearing in the distance.

Club 1872 may have bitten off more than they can chew here.

The idea is fine but its too big and not great for the people who regularly invest for reasons laid out above.

The people I've spoken to re this are a bit lukewarm to it and in this climate will folk fork out?

Some will. But 20000 when they never had that amount of members including rst life members etc is a tall order

Will I be putting in? I doubt it. My job is not secure and I've paid plenty this season for season ticket, mygers and rtv. Probably more than I can justify.

Do I buy into this and not go on holiday next year? Hmmm

I wish them luck and by heck, they will need it

Last edited:
I can see where Sherbrook Loyal is coming from regarding this but my own opinion is that I don't think Club 1872 will be able to raise anywhere near the amount of money that will be needed to buy Dave King's shares. I completely agree with the opinion that any money raised by Club 1872 should go directly to the club through the purchase of new shares.

I've never been a Club1872 contributer, so take this as you will with that in mind - I think they've approached this the wrong way around.

It's all a bit like the SNP independence argument.

"Being owned by fans is better because it works at other clubs, so we should be owned by fans. Don't worry about the dysfunction of the fans group, being fan owned is the most important thing"

I think they have to prove that this is the best way to go before asking people to buy in. Maybe they have time for that, but it's a huge ask in three years, I reckon.

Of course any pound spent we’d rather go directly the club, but hasn’t this £13m already done exactly that we are noW looking to ‘pay Dave King back’

In return we have a club in a healthy position (we may not have had a club at all) and we have a very large % of fan ownership
I think the fact the club is in a healthy position is a stumbling block. When we were hours from the stadium being sold for a loan we’d all have given both our nuts to get these shares. Short memories.

Back