Oldco tax bill cut by a further £3.1 million

uneasydaz

THE tax bill owed by the company which formerly owned Rangers has been cut by a further £3.1million

The tax authorities initially claimed £94.4million but that sum now stands at £64.5 million

The previous estimated figure was around £67million, following a write off of around £5.2m last December.

And the figure could still drop further with liquidators BDO claiming they have had a "number of positive discussions with HMRC in the last few months" with both parties agreeing "the next steps in seeking to resolve the remaining elements of the claim".

In a creditors' report yesterday, BDO, the accountancy firm handling the liquidation of RFC 2012, said that a legal case against the former administrators of the business is moving forward with a hearing set for May.

About £51 million of the tax authorities' claim is being disputed by liquidators - with the bulk of that relating to the use of employee benefit trusts (EBTs)

That issue, known as the "Big Tax Case", was seen as a significant hurdle to Sir David Murray, the club's former chairman, finding a buyer.

He eventually sold it for a token £1 to Craig Whyte in May 2011, who put the business into administration in February 2012

Attempts by administrators Duff & Phelps to negotiate a CVA, which would have offered creditors some form of return on their debts, failed with largest creditor HMRC voting against.

The business went into liquidation with the assets bought by a consortium led by Charles Green.

The latest reduction was from a claim concerning National Insurance contributions and PAYE which were not paid during Mr Whyte's ownership.

The bill was originally almost £13.4 million but has been trimmed to less than £10.3 million.

The liquidators agree that this sum and close to £3.1 million for the separate small tax case, relating to payment arrangements for the players Craig Moore, Tore Andre Flo and Ronald de Boer, is due.

Still in dispute is £48.9 million relating to EBTs, £1 million for the small tax case and £1.3 million of inheritance tax.

The update from BDO also shows a further £1.7 million was paid to HMRC in the 12 months to the end of October. So far the revenue has received close to £4.5 million from the liquidators.

A spokesman for HMRC told The Times: "The Supreme Court ruled in HMRC's favour in the case against Rangers' tax avoidance scheme.

"We continue to have a long-standing claim with the liquidators to recover the money due to taxpayers as a result of the [Supreme Court] judgment."

The BDO report adds: "The joint liquidators had sought detailed explanations regarding certain aspects of the strategy implemented by the joint administrators during the administration.

"Given the highly sensitive nature of the proceedings at this stage, we are unable to provide any more detail in respect of the claim."

I wonder how many £million BDO have made out of this as Liquidators and how many £million Duff & Phelps made out of this as Administrators.

When you take that off of the reduced HMRC bill, Oldco could easily have survived.
I think BDOs fees are currently circa £6m. However, lets remember they took on Collyer Bristow and won circa £25m for Creditors and they could potentially win a further circa £25m if they win their case against Duff & Phelps. And, they continue to dispute a further circa £51m of the tax bill from HMRC.

As a Creditor myself, I'm satisfied they are doing at good job - at the going (very high) rate for such undertakings.

Last edited:
I reckon the club could have made it through administration if the debt was 40/50 million rather than 90 absolutely infuriating

But it wasn’t a witch-hunt oh no sir.

John Reid I mean a long standing politician with contacts everywhere insisted they take Rangers all the way as they were guilty
His closeness with Lin Homer, who ran HMRC from 2012 to 2016, would suggest the relentlessness towards us was more than coincidental, in my opinion of course.

Last edited:
I wonder how many £million BDO have made out of this as Liquidators and how many £million Duff & Phelps made out of this as Administrators.

When you take that off of the reduced HMRC bill, Oldco could easily have survived.

It's sickening mate. Too many talked of £100m+ bills etc. We are at half of that, we were reducing debt, if Whyte had never came along we could have won the league in 2012 and been in CL.

How much did all the appeals cost? How much did D & P make etc?

THe shit we went through was not necessary at all, and could have been avoided if HMRC had been half as receptive as they are now.

But it wasn’t a witch-hunt oh no sir.

John Reid I mean a long standing politician with contacts everywhere insisted they take Rangers all the way as they were guilty
I hate that wee scumbag with a vengeance,he enlisted friends in HMRC to go after us.
A test case my a**e,they were out to kill us but thankfully they didn't succeed, look at us now.
I wish only harm to that vindictive little piece of sh**e!!.

How many years is that now? Regardless of what the final tax bill comes to, BDOs fees will probably wipe out the vast majority of the money raised by liquidation.

It's sickening mate. Too many talked of £100m+ bills etc. We are at half of that, we were reducing debt, if Whyte had never came along we could have won the league in 2012 and been in CL.

How much did all the appeals cost? How much did D & P make etc?

THe shit we went through was not necessary at all, and could have been avoided if HMRC had been half as receptive as they are now.
Nothing but 19th Century Terrorist bast@rds abusing their positions to punish us.

The oldco is still in liquidation but has not been liquidated yet.Is that correct?
If so is it theoretically possible that if the sum owed became manageable that it could be paid and the oldco taken out of liquidation?
I will say that I am not the sharpest when it comes to financial matters like this

13.5m when you remove the disputed 51m.

A stitch up of epic proportions that goes to the highest levels of villainary.

Much easier to carry out and cover up such an elaborate crime when you have friends in the right influencial places at the highest levels.

So many scumbags profited from this and the only victims are the Rangers fans, and shareholders of the old company.

And still we have our nose's rubbed in it with supposed epic and unprecedented incompetence by then crown and prosecution. I can't believe they are so incompetent, so I can only conclude they are covering up the crime or their part in the crime.

Who was there to make our case? Nobody.

I wonder if the truth will ever out re the dark forces who pursued us with such vigour and at whose say so.

Also how many conflicts of interest, collusion and corruption?

Probably some involved will be dead if and when that happens.

The oldco is still in liquidation but has not been liquidated yet.Is that correct?
If so is it theoretically possible that if the sum owed became manageable that it could be paid and the oldco taken out of liquidation?
I will say that I am not the sharpest when it comes to financial matters like this
Yes, that was Dave King's end game but not sure how it works now.

I wonder if the truth will ever out re the dark forces who pursued us with such vigour and at whose say so.

Also how many conflicts of interest, collusion and corruption?

Probably some involved will be dead if and when that happens.

Yeah I was just wondering if it's possible that BDO might get to the bottom of some things that the police and courts have failed to.

The BDO report adds: "The joint liquidators had sought detailed explanations regarding certain aspects of the strategy implemented by the joint administrators during the administration.

Have they ever been asked to explain the benefit of pissing, millions and millions of pounds, of the taxpayers money away for this pyrrhic victory?

"A trial case" they claimed? I've not heard of any other company be so vigorously pursued, infact larger tax bills were ignored.

They forced a scenario where a company with a multimillion pound turnover, became unsellable to any genuine business man - in essence a death sentence. A business which paid untold millions of pounds in tax money. Tax money that essentially theyve been unable to replace since then (due to the series of losses we've incurred getting back to the pinnacle of the game in this country).

Shambolic, there should be a full inquiry into the motivations and circumstances of the whole debacle.

His closeness with Lin Homer, who ran HMRC from 2012 to 2016, would suggest the relentlessness towards us was more than coincidental, in my opinion of course.
Lin Homer? Made a lady's front bottom of the hmrc,made a lady's front bottom of her Birmingham council role,and made a lady's front bottom of the UK border agency role ( just another 100,000 asylum seekers creeping in) And gets rewarded with being a Dame.

Its pointless the damage was done, we are now in a good place.

Has the old company actually been liquidated yet or is the process only complete once all these accounts have been clisef/completed?

A liquidation can be "sisted" (basically, put on hold) and the company can recommence trading, though it is rare for this to happen. I don't know all the details.

I reckon the club could have made it through administration if the debt was 40/50 million rather than 90 absolutely infuriating
Easily.
McLelland had already driven the club debt down from over £80m to less than £20m and we’d still won three leagues.
Murray had been told to get rid of the club and nobody would buy it with a possible £100m tax bill to be picked up.
I’m sure there might have been takers if the bill was a bit less.

I’ve been in dispute with HMRC for several weeks now regarding money I am supposedly due them. On Wednesday citizens advice sent me details of solicitors that deal with this type of thing and I was planning to call them on Monday to start proceedings. The total bill was £829 but they did admit that they were due me just over £200 that they sent through as a check because they couldn’t take it off my bill (weird I know).

Anyway, today I received a cheque for £1,329 from HMRC.

They are a total shit show, like seriously they don’t have a fucking clue. But because they are a public service and have the weight of the government behind them, there is no recourse for their shambolic professionalism and record keeping.

This shower have ruined lives with how they go about their business and I would fully support an independent review of how that department is run.

Cunts

Whatever happened to Hmrc using this as a test case to go after other teams? Seems like there was only one club they were interested in
HMRC's duty is to maximise tax take for the treasury.

They supposedly failed to agree to a settlement offer by Murray of some £11m before tribunal.

Their inflated and disputed claim then caused us to be forced into the hands of Whyte who then failed to pay £10m PAYE and £3m small tax case that he had agreed to cover in the Share Purcnase Agreement.

Then by being kicked into the lowest tiers of football and by having a lower wage payroll between 2012-2017 they have missed out on a further take of around £40m compared to the wages/tax we were paying previously.

So altogether £60+m they didn't collect due to their witch hunt and that's before their costs of fighting through the courts for 5 years.

And in the end it was said we were never a test case anyway, made no difference to other companies situation with regard to similar schemes.

From 2010, and since, it does make you question their motive, an answer we'll never receive. As shown above , it was never to maximise tax collection.

Latest posts

Back