Auld Firm Wages

True Bear 54

I heard a tim saying no wonder Christie wants away as he's on £8000 a week and Laxalt is on £22500 a week , I didn't believe him so I googled it and was blow away in the difference in wages of all players in both teams like Hagi on £20000 a week compared to Kamara on £6000

I heard a tim saying no wonder Christie wants away as he's on £8000 a week and Laxalt is on £22500 a week , I didn't believe him so I googled it and was blow away in the difference in wages of all players in both teams like Hagi on £20000 a week compared to Kamara on £6000
The figures in that report are nonsense, they had our wage bill being higher than Celtic’s.

If you're talking about the wages quoted from that thread the other day, they tie in almost perfectly with the figures in football manager so that's where someone's got them from. How much truth is in them is another matter.

I have no idea about current wages but from 1945 for about 20 years we always paid more than them.

As the press were lauding Johnny Haynes as being the first £100 a week footballer we had players earning up to twice as much.

I would be surprised if that had ever changed

Hagi was signed for £3.5 million and Kamara for £50k from Dundee, so there is a high chance they will have a big difference in wages.

I have no idea about current wages but from 1945 for about 20 years we always paid more than them.

As the press were lauding Johnny Haynes as being the first £100 a week footballer we had players earning up to twice as much.

Our wage bill is only 65%ish of theirs.

The figures you see published are works of fiction. Our overall wage bill for the first team is out there but very few people will know individual salaries.

If you're talking about the wages quoted from that thread the other day, they tie in almost perfectly with the figures in football manager so that's where someone's got them from. How much truth is in them is another matter.

Let me think about this, eh...none, total fiction.

Given Laxalt signed for €18M with Milan he will be on substantially more than £22k a week. Just that the mhockkts wont be paying it all

I must admit the figers are quite unbelievable so like most I will not take them at face value and think there not true, the site i was on had the Buff on £32500 and Aribo on £7500 , Jordan Jones on £9000

Our wage bill is only 65%ish of theirs.
I am talking about individual first team wages.

So far as the 65% differential is concerned. they state they have 923 employees while we only have 223. That probably accounts for the difference. (2018/19 accounts)

Incidentally I wonder how many of those employees are ghosts

Had to double read that name there :oops:

I know a mentally challenged who buys a load of corporate tickets at the piggery. He was telling me Christie’s’ old man tells anyone who will stand still long enough that his boy is on £4K basic and how much of an outrage it is.

I must admit the figers are quite unbelievable so like most I will not take them at face value and think there not true, the site i was on had the Buff on £32500 and Aribo on £7500 , Jordan Jones on £9000
I'd be very surprised if that's all Aribo is on. He was wanted by a host of teams and free transfers always end up with a higher wage than normal transfers. When he signed I heard he was on 20k a week.

Celtic's wages can't be accurate given the huge difference in wage bill. Unless they are paying insane amounts in performance bonuses.

Hagi was signed for 3.5 million and had been involved in other good sized transfers. Kamara was a 50k signing from Dundee. Just the way things work.

Dont think the figures reported will be accurate although wouldnt be surprised if Hagi is on more than Kamara at the moment. Morelos has signed 2 new contracts in the last couple of years, him, Kent, Hagi and Roofe will probably be our highest earners is my guess.

Really? Who?

When Haynes became the first £100 a week player Rangers players were on £35 a week. Even with bonuses our players back then were not hitting £100 a week. This was the argument that caused Baxter to leave the club

Last edited:
When Haynes became the first £100 a week player Rangers players were on £35 a week. Even with bonuses our players back then we're hitting £100 a week. This was the argument that caused Baxter to leave the club
There was somebodys first contract recently published on this site from that era. The basic pay was about £3,500 plus bonuses which would accord with a £5k gross pay

I know a mentally challenged who buys a load of corporate tickets at the piggery. He was telling me Christie’s’ old man tells anyone who will stand still long enough that his boy is on £4K basic and how much of an outrage it is.

I doubt Charlie Christie goes to many Celtic games as he will be in and around Inverness , he signed for Celtic himself and couldn’t wait to leave

There was somebodys first contract recently published on this site from that era. The basic pay was about £3,500 plus bonuses which would accord with a £5k gross pay
If you can find that contract put it up but Haynes became the first £100 a week player in 1961 after the £20 maximum wage was abolished. If Baxter had been earning £100 in the first half of the 1960s he would have stayed. There is no way the club were paying approx. £70 basic per week in the period 1960 to1966. Eric Caldow was wanted by Man Utd circa 1962/63, he almost left for the higher wage but he struck a deal with a newspaper that supplemented his wage with Rangers.

Players signing from Scottish clubs won't be on much money. Clubs outwith Aberdeen, Hibs and Hearts will be on £2k max. Even Aberdeen etc will be on £5k max, so coming to us or them will be on less than 10k a week.
I read that Hagi was on €20k a week and he was our 2nd highest paid player (that was before Roofe signed).

That has to be confidential but he still can be seen at Ibrox. John Lawrence's favourite player.
You must be privvy to a lot of yon confidential stuff then.
Johnny Haynes was the first player on £100 a week in 1961.
Jim Baxter was on £22 a week then.
By 63-64 season he was on £35 week.
That's not confidential, that's from the man himself.
I believe when Baxter left Rangers he was on £90 a week, some 4 years AFTER Johnny's £100 a week.

Yet here you are telling us all, that back in 1961 "we had players earning up to twice as much.".
and when questioned on it,
You now say it was only One player, and it's a wee secret, but here is a wee hint, ha ha haaaa.

Go on then Mr Privvy, kindly put us all out of our misery, and do tell us all who are these Players that you speak of, that were earning £200 a week at Rangers back in 1961?

Players signing from Scottish clubs won't be on much money. Clubs outwith Aberdeen, Hibs and Hearts will be on £2k max. Even Aberdeen etc will be on £5k max, so coming to us or them will be on less than 10k a week.
I read that Hagi was on €20k a week and he was our 2nd highest paid player (that was before Roofe signed).
Morelos is on more than £20k

Alfie was our highest paid player on 30k P/W, prior to Roofe signing.

The figures will be nonsense, but I completely believe Laxalt will be on miles more than Christie. A guy who came from AC Milan and played at a World Cup versus a guy that has done nothing.

As for Hagi and Kamara, I believe there will be a huge discrepancy as well. Hagi was one of the best young talents in the world, a Nike ambassador with skill set that matches the famous name. Glen Kamara came from Dundee for 50k, you wouldn’t sign him I’m on a £15kpw contract when he was on probably 10% of that at Dundee.

To put this argument to bed, in 1980 Gordon Smith signed for Brighton, his weekly wage trebled from £150 per week at Rangers to £450 per week at Brighton, that is stated by Smith himself in his book "And Smith did Score". As a club up until Souness took over we were not great payers of wages, Souness turned all that around along with David Holmes. Sorry but someone is talking nonsense when they're stating players were on £100 plus bonus in the 1960s.

Back