Stephen Thompson SFA should throw the book at the rangers players

STEVEN THOMPSON insists the SFA should 'throw the book' at the five Rangers players who breached Covid-19 protocols.

Steven Gerrard confirmed today that Bongani Zungu, Nathan Patterson, Calvin Bassey, Dapo Mebude and Brian Kinnear had been fined by the club

And he revealed that the Light Blues were also in talks with the SFA and Scottish Government about the breach.

All five players were involved in an alleged Covid party which was busted in Glasgow in the early hours of Sunday morning.

Police Scotland handed out fines to all those in attendance.

Now, ex-Rangers ace Thompson insists the SFA should throw the book at the players in question.

While he also admitted their actions had let everyone down and were "beyond comprehension".

Speaking on the BBC's Sportsound show, he said: "I think with what happened previously with the two Rangers players who did something earlier in the season, you'd have thought that Steven Gerrard and his backroom staff will have been over the course with the players and telling them - not that you need told - that they're high profile.

"Having played with Rangers, you can't really escape from the spotlight no matter where you are.

"Even if you think you're in somebody's house hiding, in the modern day with mobile phones and whatever else it's very difficult to try and pull something like that off.

"It's no surprise that they've been caught and I think they should throw the book at them.

"For me, I think it's completely unacceptable what they've done.

"I mean, is a fine enough? Is an internal fine enough for these players? I'm pretty sure the SFA will give them a ban of some sort.

"For me it's unthinkable that the players - given the privilege they have at this minute in time to be able to go out and do their job when everybody else isn't really able to do that - to go and throw it in the face of their club, of their supporters, of their manager and be caught out at a house party, it really defies logic.

"It's beyond comprehension."
I understand the SFA will make this their number one priority once they finish their investigations into the numerous breaches of the Covid rules by another sporting team in Dubai.

This is due to be released on February 29th.

The players were stupid doing what they done, especially after Jones and Edmundson but it’ll be interesting to see what happens after nobody getting done for the Dubai jolly.
The fact there was no rules set out at the start allow them wriggle room to treat different clubs players differently by pointing out insignificant differences.

It’s funny how many people who were absolute rockets during their playing days by all accounts are the moral arbiters of our game now.

There’s 9 games left to play, how many games does he want them banned for? Maybe carry over into next season?

Forgetting the lack of action against other players, Thompson’s lack of comment about other players etc etc etc

he’s right.

Have anyone noticed that straight after Gerrard was quoted about 'keeping the noise down' around Rangers everything has exploded and its like a media feeding frenzy on every story to try do everything to try and distract from our title number 55. Yes these players were stupid and got caught, but the story is being blown out of all proportion.

STEVEN THOMPSON insists the SFA should 'throw the book' at the five Rangers players who breached Covid-19 protocols.

Steven Gerrard confirmed today that Bongani Zungu, Nathan Patterson, Calvin Bassey, Dapo Mebude and Brian Kinnear had been fined by the club

And he revealed that the Light Blues were also in talks with the SFA and Scottish Government about the breach.

All five players were involved in an alleged Covid party which was busted in Glasgow in the early hours of Sunday morning.

Now, ex-Rangers ace Thompson insists the SFA should throw the book at the players in question.

While he also admitted their actions had let everyone down and were "beyond comprehension".

Speaking on the BBC's Sportsound show, he said: "I think with what happened previously with the two Rangers players who did something earlier in the season, you'd have thought that Steven Gerrard and his backroom staff will have been over the course with the players and telling them - not that you need told - that they're high profile.

"Having played with Rangers, you can't really escape from the spotlight no matter where you are.

"Even if you think you're in somebody's house hiding, in the modern day with mobile phones and whatever else it's very difficult to try and pull something like that off.

"It's no surprise that they've been caught and I think they should throw the book at them.

"I mean, is a fine enough? Is an internal fine enough for these players? I'm pretty sure the SFA will give them a ban of some sort.

"For me it's unthinkable that the players - given the privilege they have at this minute in time to be able to go out and do their job when everybody else isn't really able to do that - to go and throw it in the face of their club, of their supporters, of their manager and be caught out at a house party, it really defies logic.

Without wanting to in anyway condone the actions of the five Rangers players compare it to what goes on elsewhere Arsenal’s Aubameyang who had been accused of breaking Covid rules getting a tattoo what’s Arsenal’s response?” they are going to have a word with him and remind him of his responsibilities “

It will certainly be interesting if the sfa issue bans for our players similar to JJ and GE. They've allowed the Dubai lot off scot free even though they were pictured breaking rules and actually brought Covid back with them. It'll be yet more double standards that the club and clubs like Aberdeen should be highlighting.

I saw a clip of him on a podcast recently talking about trashing an apartment with 2 fellow teammates whilst away on a mid season break the manager had organised to try and boost team morale to avoid the drop (Burnley I think) he finishes the story by saying in the aftermath of that the manager & team just knew they were doomed to be relegated.

And he's got the cheek to sit and laugh about it.

The players concerned will receive lengthy suspensions - deservedly - and they've probably also been fined by the cops. Zungu will go back to France but the young players will have to face Gerrard. That to my mind will be more than adequate and we don't need Steven Thompson's advice.

He did well for us and his comments are correct, most on here would agree it’s inevitable the SFA suspend them
It is inevitable but you've also got to remember that there was pictures of celtic players sitting drinking in a bar with the general public around them in Dubai and no punishments were brought. Our players were allegedly in a flat with their girlfriends and you can bet your bottom dollar they will be punished by the sfa. Once again more double standards to suit the tims. Also remember they brought Covid back into the country and admitted there may have been some slip ups.

Did he say the same thing about the Dubai trip? If not then its just another example of the media having double standards for us.

So he is saying the SFA should ban the players? - I think 100% of us on here fully expect this.

A non story really.

agree but what’s the thoughts on Dubai, their guy who flew a bird over etc?

You can’t slate one set of players/individuals and not others just because who they play for.

if I’m right no other club has yet had a player banned - they’ve been suspended, so Jones got a ban (which I agree with) but all the others didn’t for similar - that's not transparent, fair or equal

Who asked you ? Oh BBC Shortbread, no agenda there then ?

Disagree with that.
Sean Maloney is the most lifeless prick I have seen as a pundit.
If Carol Kirkwood and Judith Ralston both sat on his face he would still proceed to speak in the same monotone voice
Ironically more lifeless than the ventriloquist dummies he resembles

Talks about being a Rangers player and not being able to avoid the spotlight, or to be able to hide in someone's house.

I remember the big streak of piss managing to hide quite often wearing a Rangers shirt in front of 50,000 people.

Grade A fud.

Why don’t you do us a wee tune about them on your guitar ya big queerhawk
BrilliantCloudyGraysquirrel-max-1mb.gif

The Rangers players and the Celtic players who were not conforming to social distancing whilst enjoying a pint in Dubai should all get 7 game bans if consistency is the model.

Back