Co-efficient Update

mkgers

Rangers' win in Belgium was much needed after both Shakhtar Donestk and Dynamo Kiev avoided defeat

• BY ROSS PILCHER
  • 08:08, 19 FEB 2021
Rangers' players celebrate Ryan Kent's goal  during the UEFA Europa League Round of 32 match
Rangers' players celebrate Ryan Kent's goal during the UEFA Europa League Round of 32

Rangers' dramatic win over Antwerp has kept Scotland ahead in the race with Ukraine for Champions League coefficient points.
Steven Gerrard’s men narrowly won a topsy turvy game in Belgium as both teams took then retook the lead in a 4-3 Thursday night thriller.

And Borna Barisic’s late penalty could prove crucial in more ways than one.
Not only did it give them leaders a lead to take back to Ibrox next week, but it also had big implications in terms of securing an automatic Champions League place for next season’s title winners.

32 teams will enter the group stages of the 2022/23 Champions League with 26 qualifying automatically.
Those are the league winners from the top 10 countries by coefficient, the runners-up from the nations ranked one to six, and the third and fourth teams from Europe's top four leagues.

Two more places go to the Champions League and Europa League winners.

However, if whoever lifts those trophies have already qualified, the place would go to which ever league is ranked 11th - as things stand, that’s the Scottish Premiership.

Celtic and Rangers on alert as Champions League shake-up sparks Premier League anger

However, the Ukranian top flight is breathing down Scotland’s neck and started last night just 0.425 points adrift.
Coefficient points are divided by the number of teams to enter European competition at the start of the season.

Get the latest Rangers news​

0_JS209868237.jpg

Stay up to date with all the latest Rangers news from the Glasgow Live team across our social media channels.
Twitter: You can follow our Glasgow Live Sport account and our Rangers writer Mark McDougall.
Facebook: You can follow our dedicated Rangers page and join our official Rangers group - the place to be for every Light Blues fan.
Whatsapp: Text RANGERS to 07899068921 then add the number to your contacts as 'Glasgow Live Sport' to receive daily updates and breaking news on Rangers.

A win is worth two points and Ukraine entered five teams so each win is worth 0.400 points - remember that the gap before Thursday's games was just 0.425.
With Dynamo Kiev and Shakhtar Donestsk both still in the Europa League, that gives Ukraine an extra bite at the cherry when it comes to accumulating points.
1x1.png

That’s offset somewhat by Rangers ' wins counting for more (0.500 points) with Scotland only entering four clubs into European competition at the start of the season.
Shakhtar defeated Maccabi Tel Aviv 2-0 away from home while Dynamo drew 1-1 with Club Brugge.

Think it will be difficult to stay ahead of the Ukrainians now with both still in with a good chance of progressing.

Shahktar are through you'd think, 2-0 up going into a home leg with Tel Aviv.

Brugge are favourites to qualify at 1/2 at home against Kiev.

Suppose we need to hope one go out this round with the least amount of coefficient points earned and then the draw is favourable to us and not to I Shahktar. (I reckon they are through and we'd need Kiev to go out)

Shakhtar are a very good team. Ideally we want Kiev to get knocked out next week and Shakhtar to get one of the favourites for the tournament.

Ideal draw for us would be Zagreb.

Be sickening if our good work in Europe turns out to get them any other side than us an automatic CL spot. Obviously we will win 2 in a row next year, but just in case

Brugge will take Kiev out I think. Shaktar could go deep in the uefa though so we really need them to get a stinking draw next round.

F.uck the champions league

32 teams will enter the group stages of the 2022/23 Champions League with 26 qualifying automatically.
Those are the league winners from the top 10 countries by coefficient, the runners-up from the nations ranked one to six, and the third and fourth teams from Europe's top four leagues.

Shakhtar are a good team, even looking at the teams left in it, I’d make them one of the favourites to win the tournament

Big points dropping off for Netherlands and Belgium next year!
and Russia! If we can have a similar EL run next season as this season we will be laughing. Cant see us winning as many games in CL if we qualify even though the dosh is sensational!

Scotland would be sixth this season going by that chart. No thanks to the also rans from our domestic league. We did this virtually single handedly

The ideal scenario is for Brugge to beat Kiev and draw us in the next round.
Then we knock Brugge out.
Shakhtar hopefully get a Man United/Tottenham type draw and get papped.
Then we’re guaranteed the spot and chasing the Belgians down!

That drops off at the start of next season so Scotland will be above the Belgians from the start next year
No they’re something like 4 points ahead of us
Yeah that’s what I meant, so 21/22 is already set in stone but for 22/23 we are currently set for 10th spot. Ukraine 11th.

If they take us then we would be 11th which is still good enough for CL spot assuming a “big” team wins it/already.

This is on the basis that Belgium don’t get enough points this season to overcome the deficit they are losing, which as is stands they will lose 12.5 points whereas we are only losing 4.375 for 16/17 season when it disappears.

The table has us, Ukraine then Belgium in order under “Next”

That’s my understanding anyway. Happy to be corrected if I’m wrong.

Russia, Belgium, Austria and Holland all have significant points dropping off next season.

Another good European campaign from us (with even just a little bit of help) would go a long way to securing an automatic champions league spot.

Am I right in thinking that Scotland's co-efficient would actually be better if we didn't bother having Hibs/Aberdeen/Motherwell/whoever in the tournament in the first place? If so, it's pretty hilarious that they actually cost us more points than they generate.

Yeah that’s what I meant, so 21/22 is already set in stone but for 22/23 we are currently set for 10th spot. Ukraine 11th.

If they take us then we would be 11th which is still good enough for CL spot assuming a “big” team wins it/already.

This is on the basis that Belgium don’t get enough points this season to overcome the deficit they are losing, which as is stands they will lose 12.5 points whereas we are only losing 4.375 for 16/17 season when it disappears.

The table has us, Ukraine then Belgium in order under “Next”

That’s my understanding anyway. Happy to be corrected if I’m wrong.
Oh I thought you meant we could catch them THIS season.

Am I right in thinking that Scotland's co-efficient would actually be better if we didn't bother having Hibs/Aberdeen/Motherwell/whoever in the tournament in the first place? If so, it's pretty hilarious that they actually cost us more points than they generate.
Absolutely, this year a win gets 0.5 points but next year with us plus 4 dumplings entering the coefficient points for a win goes down to 0.4

Absolutely, this year a win gets 0.5 points but next year with us plus 4 dumplings entering the coefficient points for a win goes down to 0.4

One bonus this way next season, and I wouldn't be surprised if this goes the season beyond, is that the team deemed cup winners (most likely 3rd place) will have 8 games to try and make up some points as they're guaranteed at least group football in the Conference League.

If we could qualify for the CL, the bonus points would go some way to making up for the almost-certain drop in results (if we took 14 points in a CL group I'd probably die of the speed the blood would flow to my erection).

It they hadn’t been so pish we would be on the heels of Austria never mind having Ukrainian teams on our back.

If they hadn't been so pish we wouldn't have had the enjoyment of seeing them humiliated by crap teams.

I can just about live with Aberdeen getting results if it helps the coefficient. However the more part-time electricians getting hat-tricks and humiliating that mob the better.

Young Boys beat Leverkusen 4-3 which surprises me. Both they and Red Star, 2 all home to Milan, could go out in this round of Europe, hopefully giving us a chance of going above them in the coefficient. The higher the better so we'd be seeded in the CL playoff.

Why are Bronby mentioned as in the PO round with Denmark below is in the rankings?
Denmark are above us for next season in terms of places

Brondby currently top the Danish League 1 point from Midtjylland

Scotland’s coefficient?? What Coefficient? Theres Rangers. Been amazing since SG took charge and racked up points. The other clubs and mainly the filth have been an embarrassment to European football.

We will need some help next season from one of the Diddy teams to keep us going. At the minute it’s .500 and .250 for a win and a draw. Due to the extra team that drops to .400 and .200 next year.

A small positive I suppose is that 3rd/Scottish cup are guaranteed Group stage football so have 6 games to get points. There really should be 3 teams in the group stages of some competition next season (Celtic have to win 1 tie)

A lot of nations above us (Russia in particular) are dropping a large amount of points soon. Scotland get into the top 6 and never mind automatic qualification we would also be seeded Pot 1 if we win the league. (7/8th might do depending winners of UCL/EL)

Rough calculation.

If Salzburg & Wolfsberger get knocked out this round (high chance), and we make it to the semis ... then we will overtake Austria in 10th place.

Rough calculation.

If Salzburg & Wolfsberger get knocked out this round (high chance), and we make it to the semis ... then we will overtake Austria in 10th place.
We only have 10th place unless below happens

Austria have 35.825

Win v Antwerp 33.125
2 wins Last 16 34.125
2 wins QF 35.125
1 win +1 draw 35.875

Last edited:
Back