Patterson for Scotland

Might get some games in Europe up until may but I’d be very surprised ( pleasantly so) if he’s not banned for the rest of the season by the SFA.

Also think it’s maybe to early for Scotland.

Given we have zero quality right backs if Nathan can get a decent run in the team now should he be considered for the Euros?

If he gets a good run up until then it would make sense although very very slim chance of it happening with a bitter backwards thinking manager Clarke.
Hope not. Rangers is enough. Don't want the SFA to get any finance through our players endeavours.

One thing I will say, don't understand why it's taking them so long to ban him - the longer it takes, the more games he actually misses, as I can't see the club playing him domestically

Will they backdate the ban? Will they %^*&

If he doesn't get an SFA ban then he could have a very good chance. Scotland literally only have O'Donnell and Palmer as RB's.

O'Donnell isn't great but he's probably the best RB, we have who's playing week in and week out. Palmer though is worse and is going on 30.

Long term it would be better for Scotland to take Patterson over Palmer to the EURO's. Palmer is very unlikely to play any minutes and if Patterson continues to develop. Palmer will probably be out the squad in September. Scotland have a very bad habit of waiting far too long to introduce players to squads and it hampers us. You need to bed these players in early and let them get to know the players and staff. It done the world of good for the one player, Scotland have bedded in early, John McGinn.

Patterson and Gilmour should go to the EURO's but I suspect we'll get Palmer and McLean (no disrespect but he doesn't have the future Gilmour does). The same will happen at CB. Gallagher and Considine will go over Jack Hendry. Hendry is flying in Belgium and is considered one of the best CBs in the league. Don't worry the poets are losing him, they have an agreed fee and the Belgians are taking it up.

I actually forgot O’Donnell was the Scotland right I have reconsidered it’s not to early.

I thought O’Donnell was a pish player then I seen him as a pundit on sportscene and he found a way to be a worse pundit than player.

If it wasn’t for his daft behaviour, I reckon he’d have played a lot of league games regardless of Tav’s injury and would have an excellent chance of going.

Given we have zero quality right backs if Nathan can get a decent run in the team now should he be considered for the Euros?

If he gets a good run up until then it would make sense although very very slim chance of it happening with a bitter backwards thinking manager Clarke.
Gerrard has already intimated that bans are incoming for the Covid 5. They will provide cover in Europe but still leave us light in the League.

Hope so. If he could become first choice right back it boost his confidence and reputation.

Reactions: wpj

Only if he doesn’t get a ban
If he does..%^*& them.

Still a young lad. I’d wait til he had built out a bit. But having players play in these tournaments improves him as a player and adds zeros to his value so all for Rangers players playing. If the TA don’t like it they can go and watch Aberdeen v Hibs.

One thing I will say, don't understand why it's taking them so long to ban him - the longer it takes, the more games he actually misses, as I can't see the club playing him domestically

Will they backdate the ban? Will they %^*&
That logic is absolutely nonsense. He will not miss any more than his ban and if the club can play him then they will.

Him and Gilmour need game time to force the alky into selecting them and we might actually get some buzz into seeing some fantastic youths mixing it against England's best rather than places in the squad for long throws from O'Donnell and Turnbull running around like a blue arsed fly and tiring after 21 minutes

Has he been cited yet mate?
Not as far as I'm aware. New Compliance Officer takes up post on Monday. Stevie Gs comments post-match last night suggested very strongly that the Covid 5 have further punishments to come, so I'm assuming he was alluding to the SFA taking action. You'd imagine if they'd already been cited then that would have been stated.

Not as far as I'm aware. New Compliance Officer takes up post on Monday. Stevie Gs comments post-match last night suggested very strongly that the Covid 5 have further punishments to come, so I'm assuming he was alluding to the SFA taking action. You'd imagine if they'd already been cited then that would have been stated.
So they should be ok for Livi and St mMirren ?

So they should be ok for Livi and St mMirren ?
That's what I've said in post #24 mate. If it works as 'normal' any hearing should be two weeks after being served the Notice of Complaint.

My - slight - concern was an earlier comment from Rangers about being 'in discussions with the SFA and the ScoGov'. I think it highly unlikely that we've done any deal whereby we agree not to play them domestically but I did find the comment odd.

I think the guys will be fine for those two games though in all honesty. Thereafter, hopefully, Tav and Jack back.

It’s coming unfortunately but I reckon he could’ve easily made the squad for the euros . Oddonell is utter muck.
Yep, easily the most talented Scottish right back.

The timing of the run and composure of the finish last night, is something O'Donnell could only dream about.

Lukaku was causing Balogun problems in the 1st half last night, yet Patterson came on and never gave him a kick.
It was no suprise when the Antwerp manager hooked him.

I thought this last night.
He has all the qualities to play for Scotland, he just lacks the experience.
However, there is no one else Scottish that comes close.

However, Clarke likes journeymen.

The timing of the run and composure of the finish last night, is something O'Donnell could only dream about.

Lukaku was causing Balogun problems in the 1st half last night, yet Patterson came on and never gave him a kick.
Went from being probably our weakest to one of the strongest , quite clear they targeted Balogun even before the booking .

Patterson simply being there seemed to force Lukaku to adopt a much deeper position and he dropped right out the match, having given Balogun a bit of a torrid time. Credit Stevie G for that as it wasn't how I was contemplating the subs might go, that's for sure.

I'd like him to come out and retire in advance from international football, fck Scotland and the SFA

Not yet, but he will get a call up next season. If he played elsewhere the media would be going tonto trying to get him capped.

As much as I'd like him to get a chance to play for his country at the Euros, I think it is too soon for him. He is the understudy to Tavernier and will continue to be that until Tav moves on at some point. He is also facing a ban sadly.

Random shout but get Tavernier in the squad. He's been up here long enough.

As much as I'd like him to get a chance to play for his country at the Euros, I think it is too soon for him. He is the understudy to Tavernier and will continue to be that until Tav moves on at some point. He is also facing a ban sadly.

Random shout but get Tavernier in the squad. He's been up here long enough.
Ah don’t want him playing for Scotland but can you name a better RB in this country?

Worth bearing in mind Patterson has a total of just 24 minutes playing time in the top flight. He's a great prospect but has a way to go yet. Any thoughts of representing Scotland should be way down his - and Rangers - list of priorities.

Last edited:
I think before the covid stuff he was on track to play a lot of minutes towards the end of the season, if he continued to play like he does, he would have had a chance IMO, Scotland are not blessed with right backs so the question would have been there.
Unfortunately he will more than likely be banned now which blows his chance, and probably his chance of getting a league medal!

Back