Al Ettifaq 1 Al Feiha 2

His new teams strip is a belter. Looked at buying one, thought it would be cheap, but the top with his name on it was close to 100 euro

Good on him though, glad the move worked out for him.

Too many sponsors but yes let's promote that as an away top for us.

The meltdown (again) will be sweet.

His new teams strip is a belter. Looked at buying one, thought it would be cheap, but the top with his name on it was close to 100 euro

Good on him though, glad the move worked out for him.
Interested to know how that works - would that be through the club site or a reseller?

Interested to know how that works - would that be through the club site or a reseller?
I had a brief look, didn't really research it, but if I remember correctly that price was via the club website. I think Mark...

I remember I could have got the year before's strip from a third party cheaper, but it wasn't that much cheaper and I didn't see the point as I wanted Sakala's name on it.

his stats for us prove he was worth keeping.

when you think what Wright, Silva and Matondo have gave us in return.

he was also more durable than the 1st two that are named.
Yep. He wasn’t always pretty to watch and immensely frustrating at times but he contributed goals from wide positions. I can only think of him and Sima of the dozens of wingers we’ve had since coming back up that have actually been able to do that regularly.

Al Ettifaq could really do with a couple of guys like Tavernier and Goldson to strengthen their defence for next season.

;)
Goldson injury means no lady's front bottom takes him he will see out his contract with us.

His sitters were infuriating, but would've definitely kept him for this season. Would probably be up there competing for top scorer.

The guy we replaced him with has 20 goals and 8 assists, he’s pish tae
Dessers doesn't play on the left for us. Not much in it by goals scored

This season
Sakala 19 goals in 38 games
Dessers 20 goals in 49 games

Last season
Sakala 12 goals in 41 games
Dessers 10 goals in 32 games

Last edited:
The problem with Sakala is he was playing all the time. He should be what Scott Wright is. Good sqaud player. We were a mess because Sakala was starting with likes of Wright as backup which is miles off what we need.

We’ve always got fans telling us it’s the forward area that’s been responsible for our lack of success, yet some of the same fans big up Dessers, Colak and now Sakala on the strength of their ‘numbers’. Make your minds up, you can’t have it both ways. I’d have thought players like that were the perfect example of why it’s naive and short sighted just to gage a player on statistics.

Surely it’s not being able to do it in the really big moments that’s the issue. I mean Sakala more or less cost us a great shot at a trophy because he couldn’t compose himself enough to put the ball into an empty net.

He was garbage. The current incumbent is garbage. The season before we ended up with a midfielder playing in a European final up front.

Is it too much to ask for a decent centre forward to play as centre forward all season?!!

Al Ettifaq could really do with a couple of guys like Tavernier and Goldson to strengthen their defence for next season.

;)
Definitely. Seems like they're struggling for goals as well, we should sell them Scott Wright and Rabbi Matondo, with the eredivisie player of the month, Sam Lammers.

I'm still absolutely astonished we have Scott Wright on our books. A true Motherwell level player
It's even more astonishing that he started a European final for us. Our most important game since coming back up through the league's and a player of his standard started that game.

I'm still absolutely astonished we have Scott Wright on our books. A true Motherwell level player
Every squad we've ever had has that weird imbalance. I think that nearly every side we've had since I started following us all that closely had the same sort of imbalances within a starting eleven at times as well. Ronald De Boer in one position, Stevie Thompson in another. Jelavic in one, Wylde who's now at Camelon in another. I think the teams that win things at the highest level are the ones who manage to accumulate 15-20 players that are in the former level of ability and very few of the relative latter.

Last edited:
The problem with Sakala is he was playing all the time. He should be what Scott Wright is. Good sqaud player. We were a mess because Sakala was starting with likes of Wright as backup which is miles off what we need.
He was playing because he was in form either scoring or creating, from when Beale came in to season end.

Why are people comparing Dessers and Sakala, Sakala was a wide man?
We should be expecting those numbers from all our front 3, Sima and Dessers have contributed, it's the other wide position that has been a massive let down.

He was garbage. The current incumbent is garbage. The season before we ended up with a midfielder playing in a European final up front.

Is it too much to ask for a decent centre forward to play as centre forward all season?!!
Our transfer dealings have been abysmal since we won the league. We had the chance to cash in on players after 55, we didn't. We had the chance to cash in after the run to Seville, we didn't. It must have cost us an absolute fortune.

Like most people I liked Sakala, and he probably wasn’t much worse than what we currently have, but i feel there is a bit of revisionism going on in this thread IMO.

He was not of the standard required and we were right to let him go at the time, as I’m sure most on here agreed back then. The only problem is we didn’t get much better quality in. So now, with the benefit of hindsight, we can say he might’ve had a role to play for us this season.

Regarding his current stats. Is it fair comparing his stats in the Saudi League to Dessers stats here this season? I haven’t watched any Saudi football, nor do I intend to follow that trend, but what is the quality of football like over there?

Sakala actually came onto a game under Beale scoring some vital goals, getting rid of him was madness.
I thought it was madness at the time too, but we got £4m in a transfer fee for him. Hard to turn that money down.

Back