Rangers urged to seek Brendan Rodgers favour as legend tells Steven Gerrard to 'forget he's a former Celtic boss'

Salamanca

The Leicester City boss insists Gerrard won't need any counsel from him but Barry Ferguson reckons it's the smart thing to do ahead of a Europa League clash with Foxes conquerors Slavia Prague.

Barry Ferguson reckons Steven Gerrard should ask Brendan Rodgers to help him plot the downfall of Slavia Prague after Rangers were drawn against them in the Europa League last 16.

But the Leicester boss insists Gerrard won’t need any help from him.
The champions-elect were paired with the Czech league leaders in yesterday’s draw in Nyon after they sent Rodgers’ high-flying Foxes crashing out of the competition.

Ferguson believes Rodgers could be a vital source of information for Gerrard on next month’s opponents as they look to move a step closer to the final in Gdansk.

The Record Sport columnist – who led the Light Blues to their last Euro final in the 2008 UEFA Cup – said: “I’m sure Steven Gerrard would pick up the phone to Brendan Rodgers to get his opinion on Slavia Prague.

It would certainly cross my mind if I knew someone who could maybe help me.

Rangers would have had a dossier on Slavia Prague within 10 minutes of the draw being made and they’ll gather more information in the coming days. But I don’t think Steven would think twice about asking Brendan.

“Forget the fact he’s an ex-Celtic manager, the pair of them worked together at Liverpool and these things happen all the time in football.

“It’s not as if he is the Celtic manager just now. And British bosses would all try to help each other, so there will be a bit of communication I’m sure.

Slavia Prague knocked Leicester out and they’re flying high in the Premier League, so they clearly won’t be last-16 pushovers.

“However, when I was looking at the teams in the hat, Slavia Prague and Molde were probably the two that jumped out as being a favourable draw.

“But that’s not to dismiss them. In a sense, these games can be more dangerous because if you draw one of the big guns, then there’s no chance of complacency. Yes, it’s a good draw but you can’t be overconfident.

“We’re in the last 16 of the Europa League, so Rangers will have to show them the same respect as if they’d come out the hat with Manchester United.

“The win over Leicester is all they need to warn them of their quality but let’s not forget a lot of teams would have wanted to avoid Rangers.”

Rodgers, though, reckons that Gerrard will be able to mastermind a victory all by himself.

The Northern Irishman said: “Steven and Rangers won’t need my help on it.

They will have seen the game and have enough analysts who will see how Slavia Prague have done over the season and Thursday night’s game.

“I wouldn’t be expecting a call from him.

“They won’t need my help, that’s for sure.”

Rodgers was kicking himself at what might have been as he missed out on a return to Ibrox, Jindrich Trpisovsky’s side beating his City outfit 2-0.

He said: “I would have loved to have gone back
to Glasgow. It’s a great city and I’m sure it would have been a great game.”

Ferguson is confident Rangers will be able to put the finishing touches to their title bid as well as progress in Europe.

The former skipper and his team-mates had to contend with a fixture pile-up when they went all the way to the showpiece.

He said: “When we got to the Final in 2008 we had fixtures coming thick and fast as we were going for four competitions.

“When you’re playing Thursday-Sunday-Thursday it’s tough – physically and mentally – and a lot of people probably don’t realise that.

“But Rangers don’t have that problem just now.

“We still don’t know what’s happening with the Scottish Cup and they won’t take their eye off the ball in the league. But if that’s sealed in the coming weeks, it will allow them to put everything into the Europa League.

“If they get through against Slavia Prague, the quarter-finals are in April.

“If the title is in the bag by then, they can put everything into that.

“The attitude might change slightly and they can maybe rest players.”

The Leicester City boss insists Gerrard won't need any counsel from him but Barry Ferguson reckons it's the smart thing to do ahead of a Europa League clash with Foxes conquerors Slavia Prague.

Barry Ferguson reckons Steven Gerrard should ask Brendan Rodgers to help him plot the downfall of Slavia Prague after Rangers were drawn against them in the Europa League last 16.

But the Leicester boss insists Gerrard won’t need any help from him.
The champions-elect were paired with the Czech league leaders in yesterday’s draw in Nyon after they sent Rodgers’ high-flying Foxes crashing out of the competition.

Ferguson believes Rodgers could be a vital source of information for Gerrard on next month’s opponents as they look to move a step closer to the final in Gdansk.

The Record Sport columnist – who led the Light Blues to their last Euro final in the 2008 UEFA Cup – said: “I’m sure Steven Gerrard would pick up the phone to Brendan Rodgers to get his opinion on Slavia Prague.

It would certainly cross my mind if I knew someone who could maybe help me.

Rangers would have had a dossier on Slavia Prague within 10 minutes of the draw being made and they’ll gather more information in the coming days. But I don’t think Steven would think twice about asking Brendan.

“Forget the fact he’s an ex-Celtic manager, the pair of them worked together at Liverpool and these things happen all the time in football.

“It’s not as if he is the Celtic manager just now. And British bosses would all try to help each other, so there will be a bit of communication I’m sure.

Slavia Prague knocked Leicester out and they’re flying high in the Premier League, so they clearly won’t be last-16 pushovers.

“However, when I was looking at the teams in the hat, Slavia Prague and Molde were probably the two that jumped out as being a favourable draw.

“But that’s not to dismiss them. In a sense, these games can be more dangerous because if you draw one of the big guns, then there’s no chance of complacency. Yes, it’s a good draw but you can’t be overconfident.

“We’re in the last 16 of the Europa League, so Rangers will have to show them the same respect as if they’d come out the hat with Manchester United.

“The win over Leicester is all they need to warn them of their quality but let’s not forget a lot of teams would have wanted to avoid Rangers.”

Rodgers, though, reckons that Gerrard will be able to mastermind a victory all by himself.

The Northern Irishman said: “Steven and Rangers won’t need my help on it.

They will have seen the game and have enough analysts who will see how Slavia Prague have done over the season and Thursday night’s game.

“I wouldn’t be expecting a call from him.

“They won’t need my help, that’s for sure.”

Rodgers was kicking himself at what might have been as he missed out on a return to Ibrox, Jindrich Trpisovsky’s side beating his City outfit 2-0.

He said: “I would have loved to have gone back
to Glasgow. It’s a great city and I’m sure it would have been a great game.”

Ferguson is confident Rangers will be able to put the finishing touches to their title bid as well as progress in Europe.

The former skipper and his team-mates had to contend with a fixture pile-up when they went all the way to the showpiece.

He said: “When we got to the Final in 2008 we had fixtures coming thick and fast as we were going for four competitions.

“When you’re playing Thursday-Sunday-Thursday it’s tough – physically and mentally – and a lot of people probably don’t realise that.

“But Rangers don’t have that problem just now.

“We still don’t know what’s happening with the Scottish Cup and they won’t take their eye off the ball in the league. But if that’s sealed in the coming weeks, it will allow them to put everything into the Europa League.

“If they get through against Slavia Prague, the quarter-finals are in April.

“If the title is in the bag by then, they can put everything into that.

“The attitude might change slightly and they can maybe rest players.”
Thats why you're managing part timers Barry. Scouting and analysis isn't just asking your pal what he thinks. There's a professional process in place.

Dear Barry

They now have this technology called video. It’s amazing you can watch back any game at any time, fast forward, rewind and even pause the playback to get opinions of your staff as you watch it

Or you can phone the guy who just got pumped out of Europe, AGAIN because his opinion will be worth the fucking phone call

This thread will be another shining example of a Rangers legend taking a tanking rightly or wrongly whilst the likes of Brian Rice, “Yogi”, and Dalglish get their cocks sucked on similar threads relating to their opinions

Well, since you brought them into the thread....

Could listen to Ricey (his mates get to call him that ;)) all day. And Big Yogi is always quality -- great to have him back in the game. B-D

"The Northern Irishman said: “Steven and Rangers won’t need my help on it." This reply tells me that he doesn't wish to help us and I for one don't wish his help so I'm sorry Barry. It's a no for me!
Or he's basically telling the truth our analysts and management team are good enough to highlight the strengths and weaknesses of Prague without seeking any outside help

Honestly don’t see the issue with this

Ferguson has spoken some shite in the past but this is no where near that.

Not that I think SG needs Rodgers help, or will ask for it, but it’s fairly standard practice.

I am pretty confident out backroom staff will have enough intelligence to do their home work without the help of tranny shagger ! After how Gerrard was treated by said tranny lover I doubt for one minute he will be asking his advice.
we have done pretty well on our own let’s keep going.
And does Barry think tranny shagger asked Gerrard about braga ? I think not.

Barry Barry barry

stop licking mentally challenged arses they fucking gate you

stop being a little bitch and get up off your knees ffs

why does continually look to appease them

it’s embrassing

It's a bit daft to think that just cause Leicester got beaten then Rodgers would have no insight into Slavia Prague. Given that Granny Shagger is lauded as a top manager, even if an arrogant prick, it may be that Gerrard sees the value in picking his brains for 30mins.

Plus this is a Barry Ferguson article so means very little.

This thread will be another shining example of a Rangers legend taking a tanking rightly or wrongly whilst the likes of Brian Rice, “Yogi”, and Dalglish get their cocks sucked on similar threads relating to their opinions
There is a reason why Ferguson is managing at the level he is.

Or do you think we should all worship Barry comments because he was a good player for us?

Of course it would. Even the wee things like asking who the talkers in their team are, who's the organisers, who's temper could be got that, .....all the wee things that you can't pick up on video. Every little bit of info can help and should be sought out.

But some posters know better than an ex pro eh :rolleyes:
Any info would be useful.Just saying.

I get what Barry is trying to say, and to be honest any help for us to win the tie would be welcome from anyone.

But, I'm sure SG will rewatch many slavia games and be will prepped. Hopefully he uses it as motivation to get one over Brenda

Back