Scottish Sun Article. Colt Teams In The SPFL Pyramid

FIRM OFFER

Celtic and Rangers willing to pay £3million to BUY spaces in SPFL pyramid for Colt teams​

THE Old Firm are willing to pay £3million to buy spaces in the SPFL for Colts teams.
SunSport can reveal Celtic and Rangers have offered to give £1.5m each to League One and Two clubs.
Rangers' James Maxwell and Celtic ace Karamoko Dembele
Rangers' James Maxwell and Celtic ace Karamoko DembeleCredit: PA:press Association

The money would be spread over five years and would secure access for the Colts to an extended bottom tier.
That financial injection could be tempting for cash-strapped clubs hit hard by the Covid-19 pandemic. But it’s understood there is also fierce opposition to the plan and it remains to be seen if it goes to a vote.
The introduction of Old Firm Colts teams has been a thorny issue in Scottish football for years.
Promotion would be capped at a certain level — meaning there is no chance of reaching the top tier.

Lower league clubs would enjoy bigger crowds, due to interest from Old Firm fans.
The Old Firm believe it would be ideal for developing their kids and would bring cash to the SPFL.
But certain clubs are sure to be dead against it.
Speaking on Colts proposals earlier this year, Peterhead boss Jim McInally said: “I’ve always been against it and I always will be, so it doesn’t matter to me what they say about it.

“Scottish football doesn’t owe it to Celtic and Rangers to develop their players.”
Meanwhile, John Kennedy hailed Kristoffer Ajer for playing a major role in securing his first win as Celtic manager.

And the stand-in gaffer desperately hopes the Norwegian defender can be persuaded to stay for the immediate future.
Stopper Ajer’s in the final 18-months of his deal and there’s a growing feeling he’ll be sold in the summer as the Hoops prepare for a huge squad rebuild.
The 22-year-old – five years at Parkhead – has been watched all season by AC Milan and other Euro outfits.
Ajer’s regarded as one of the club’s most valuable assets – but doubts persist over his desire to sign an extended deal.
Kennedy, however, believes it’s important he’s kept and was delighted with his defending in the second half as Aberdeen pressured for an equaliser following Odsonne’s Edouard’s eighth minute strike.

Save giving them the hits

FIRM OFFER

Celtic and Rangers willing to pay £3million to BUY spaces in SPFL pyramid for Colt teams​

THE Old Firm are willing to pay £3million to buy spaces in the SPFL for Colts teams.
SunSport can reveal Celtic and Rangers have offered to give £1.5m each to League One and Two clubs.
Rangers' James Maxwell and Celtic ace Karamoko Dembele' James Maxwell and Celtic ace Karamoko Dembele
Rangers' James Maxwell and Celtic ace Karamoko DembeleCredit: PA:press Association

The money would be spread over five years and would secure access for the Colts to an extended bottom tier.
That financial injection could be tempting for cash-strapped clubs hit hard by the Covid-19 pandemic. But it’s understood there is also fierce opposition to the plan and it remains to be seen if it goes to a vote.
The introduction of Old Firm Colts teams has been a thorny issue in Scottish football for years.
Promotion would be capped at a certain level — meaning there is no chance of reaching the top tier.

Lower league clubs would enjoy bigger crowds, due to interest from Old Firm fans.
The Old Firm believe it would be ideal for developing their kids and would bring cash to the SPFL.
But certain clubs are sure to be dead against it.
Speaking on Colts proposals earlier this year, Peterhead boss Jim McInally said: “I’ve always been against it and I always will be, so it doesn’t matter to me what they say about it.

“Scottish football doesn’t owe it to Celtic and Rangers to develop their players.”
Meanwhile, John Kennedy hailed Kristoffer Ajer for playing a major role in securing his first win as Celtic manager.

And the stand-in gaffer desperately hopes the Norwegian defender can be persuaded to stay for the immediate future.
Stopper Ajer’s in the final 18-months of his deal and there’s a growing feeling he’ll be sold in the summer as the Hoops prepare for a huge squad rebuild.
The 22-year-old – five years at Parkhead – has been watched all season by AC Milan and other Euro outfits.
Ajer’s regarded as one of the club’s most valuable assets – but doubts persist over his desire to sign an extended deal.
Kennedy, however, believes it’s important he’s kept and was delighted with his defending in the second half as Aberdeen pressured for an equaliser following Odsonne’s Edouard’s eighth minute strike.

Save giving them the hits
Jim McInally with the backward insular thinking that's held football back in this country going on 30 years. Plenty of bigger leagues with successful national teams do exactly this model.

Jim McInally with the backward insular thinking that's held football back in this country going in 30 years. Plenty of bigger leagues with successful national teams do exactly this model.
It is utterly pathetic isn't it. Most of these teams scratch along playing in front of a few hundred people and with virtually no interest in them. And then you have the colts idea, which would bring revenue and interest, but no, McInally objects, just because he wants to. It's as weird as it is pathetic.

What am I missing here!
Why should we pay £3m to let our colts play in the bottom league?

Because for 1.5M over 5 years we get to play our youth side in proper league competition without the need to loan them out to any pishy wee team which let's be honest also comes at our expense.

Over time that 1.5 million could be he best 1.5 we've ever spent imo.

I agree that the colts are a very good idea in the long term.

My point about grass parks is that purely from a business point of view a payment to protect investment would be the best course of action if viable.

What other business risks tens of millions of pounds worth of assets every month due to other parties decisions without challenging that and trying to change it , even with financial incentives where necessary, when they have a collective opportunity(SPFL voting) to do so?

It is utterly pathetic isn't it. Most of these teams scratch along playing in front of a few hundred people and with virtually no interest in them. And then you have the colts idea, which would bring revenue and interest, but no, McInally objects, just because he wants to. It's as weird as it is pathetic.
What you expect from Scotland in general not just football tbh.

I agree that the colts are a very good idea in the long term.

My point about grass parks is that purely from a business point of view a payment to protect investment would be the best course of action if viable.

What other business risks tens of millions of pounds worth of assets every month due to other parties decisions without challenging that and trying to change it , even with financial incentives where necessary, when they have a collective opportunity(SPFL voting) to do so?
Unfortunately UEFA and FIFA sanction them. Clubs ain't changing them unless they change the rules.

Last edited:
Happy to be corrected but wasn‘t there a thing when Souness was in charge where reserve teams were scrapped. Could be wrong as scrapping the memory bank here.

They could try and get the colts playing in the North West Counties Football League, it is the 10th tier of English football, then they can work their way up through the English football tiers.

When F.C. United of Manchester were founded in 2005 they had to start in the 10th tier.

The quality of football in the 10th tier of English football would probably be the same if not better than the quality of the Scottish 4th tier.

Jim McInally with the backward insular thinking that's held football back in this country going on 30 years. Plenty of bigger leagues with successful national teams do exactly this model.

Hes an absolute muppet.

Yes it will be developing players for us and them but.....

A small % will make the grade and the rest will filter thro scottish football ultimately making it stronger as a whole.

And the % that do make it through in theory could go on and strengthen the national team which in turn helps to make scottish football stronger.

If Rangers have no game and colts are playing i will defo go and watch and am sure loads others would as well which means £s into the banks of smaller clubs helping to make them stronger which again benefits Scottish football.

It's a threat to his team though. Why should little teams bend over to make it easier for us to improve our players?

Unfortunately this wont happen.
Bitter lower league scottish teams would rather their team went under than possibly help develop old firm youth players

Unfortunately this wont happen.
Bitter lower league scottish teams would rather their team went under than possibly help develop old firm youth players
I think it will happen because of the money it will bring in for said teams

im positive that the colts will get a healthy following of supporters at away games if the games are scheduled properly so they dont clash with the first team

im positive that the colts will get a healthy following of supporters at away games if the games are scheduled properly so they dont clash with the first team
There are pros and cons of this but i think it will increase attendances at some clubs

It WILL happen, it's just a matter of when now. Within 5 years there will be Colts in the league. Depending on how long the effects of Covid last financially, it'll speed up the process.

Yeah I think it would benefit them in the long run. Bigger crowds, more interest.
My fear is that they don't see past the fact its also helping us develop our young players as sad as that sounds.

It WILL happen, it's just a matter of when now. Within 5 years there will be Colts in the league. Depending on how long the effects of Covid last financially, it'll speed up the process.

I would like to see it. I imagine Aberdeen Hibs etc wouldn't be pleased?

It's a threat to his team though. Why should little teams bend over to make it easier for us to improve our players?
Maybe it's because we have funded all those small teams for so long. I can also see his point as well as if we are successful we will dominate at that level.

Yeah I think it would benefit them in the long run. Bigger crowds, more interest.
My fear is that they don't see past the fact its also helping us develop our young players as sad as that sounds.
Money will always be the main factor in any decision

I would like to see it. I imagine Aberdeen Hibs etc wouldn't be pleased?
They had the chance to put teams forward and have opted against in the short-term. Both sides have an interest in Colts but aren't willing to do it just now for (mainly) financial reasons.

They could try and get the colts playing in the North West Counties Football League, it is the 10th tier of English football, then they can work their way up through the English football tiers.

When F.C. United of Manchester were founded in 2005 they had to start in the 10th tier.

The quality of football in the 10th tier of English football would probably be the same if not better than the quality of the Scottish 4th tier.
Sounds good but would we be allowed to enter?

Some of these teams have a cheek to call themselves professional clubs, give absolutely zero to Scottish football, produce no players and yet reap the benefits of professional status and have a say in the game. They should take the money and shut up.

In fact - I would allow more SPL clubs to have b teams.

Not sure if I am for or against it. Something needs to change in Scotland. We can't go on as a 2 team country. I've always felt there should be a cull of teams though rather than adding more!

These teams reaped the benefits when Rangers made their way through the leagues full houses twice a season, now they would have full houses 4 times a season as both colts sides would take a bigger following also they would probably get a tv deal in the lower leagues just the same as before. it would be well watched also for a season at least

These teams reaped the benefits when Rangers made their way through the leagues full houses twice a season, now they would have full houses 4 times a season as both colts sides would take a bigger following also they would probably get a tv deal in the lower leagues just the same as before. it would be well watched also for a season at least
It's not sustainable though and its difficult to see any teams who have long term improved their club from the cash injection they got from us from one season. I can't imagine our colt teams going up and down the divisions spreading the wealth either. They will go up as far as they can go and probably stay there.

Why are scottish football so scared of change ? Anything that improves the game they try to block , is it old stuck in there ways managers ,too many old c**ts that cant see progress ,scottish football needs to evolve or be left behind

You would think they would welcome Rangers, even think about paying us, to play in these leagues, though I dare say additional sponsorship would more than cover our costs. After all there will be significant attendances at wee grounds unseen since we were last down there ourselves, maybe not sell out but if times dont clash with the big team's games at Ibrox or on RTV plenty Bears from local areas will go along to cheer the Famous. Spreading cash once again throughout the footballing wilderness.

Seems always a reason for some bugger to say to no to a good idea in Scottish football. Also shows how skint the football authorities are.

That's probably more than Doncaster has brought in from league sponsors during his tenure.

Look forward to the "SPFL in association with The Old Firm"

B-D

Jim McInally is a fud, Rangers are not asking Peterhead or anyone else to develop their players, they just want good competitive teams to play against. All this talk of devaluing the league etc, it's all bollocks, these unambitious part-time teams will throw their moral principles out the window when they see enough pound signs.

Happy to be corrected but wasn‘t there a thing when Souness was in charge where reserve teams were scrapped. Could be wrong as scrapping the memory bank here.
The reserve leagues carried on in some sort of form up until 2012 I think. I was at a game at K-Park in EK when we played Partick. Thistle were using it for their home reserve games.

Probably the worst thing that could have happened in terms of development but when you have senior clubs struggiling to support a first team never mind a second team then colts are the next best thing.

Why should Scottish football be held back because Peterhead and Elgins' fans might be unhappy

I doubt very much that Elgin would object. The chairman Graham Tatters has often commented on how good it was for the wee clubs when Rangers were in the lower leagues and also how much of a travesty it was that Rangers were thrown out of the top league in the first place.

I am not even sure what it is a threat to however. To Peterhead’s prospects of getting from Division 1 to the Championship? I suppose, maybe. A threat to Peterhead getting into the SPL - well it can’t be that if the colts teams can’t be promoted to that level. So a minor threat v improved finances / much more interest in the league. I know that I would be going for the latter of those two if I was Peterhead and it wouldn’t even be close.

The only thing for me about this would be is it financially viable for the club? There would be clashes with first team matches and how many people would actually go to watch the games? I guess the games might get a decent crowd if the first team were playing on a Sunday for example. That would be the only negative for me otherwise its a good environment for the younger players to go and play matches against proper men's teams.

It will be interesting to see if a number of clubs think about creating a new league structure with colt teams added and leaving the clubs against it behind.

Back