British Super League being Planned in Secret with Celtic and Rangers Invited

What happens to Ajax's history when the Dutch/Belgian leagues merge?
Oh, let me guess.

That'll somehow be 'different'.

You see, it's fine for other clubs in other countries to be ambitious and to embrace change.

It's just little old Rangers in little old Scotland which needs to know its place.

Never show ambition, never get out of your comfort zone, never try.

We're 33 points ahead of 3rd placed hibs, who are one of our bigger clubs.

That's not competition, yet they'll think they've had a decent season. If scottish clubs could become more competitive, I'd be happy to stay, but it's not, it's getting worse by the season.

As I've said in other posts, we're playing against clubs with the mindset of getting a higher goal difference than celtic.

I cant think of any other country with a population as small as ours with 2 clubs that can fill 50/60, 000 stadiums. Belgium has a bigger population than us, but they don't have any clubs near the size of the old firm. Our stadiums at one end of a small league to others with a 5/6,000 capacity. Too much of an imbalance now.

Liverpool finished last season 33 points ahead of third placed Man United.

Yes, Manchester United, possibly the biggest club in the world.

Yet you’re calling our league uncompetitive and theirs competitive.

It's more complex than that. We played in this league and were box office not that long ago. I'm aware of what has gone on to diminish that, but we were box office in this league though.
Football was very different then. Other Scottish clubs had good crowds and could pay decent wages. The shrinking we’ve seen over the past 30+ years would just accelerate if other leagues rejig and attract more money but we stand still.

Ah so that's it. You're happy with us hammering dross every week and don't want a real challenge.
No, I want Rangers to stay true to it's identity.

Scottish football can improve, if Rangers and Celtic focused as much energy into that as they would into a British super league you would see it happen relatively quickly.

Liverpool finished last season 33 points ahead of third placed Man United.

Yes, Manchester United, possibly the biggest club in the world.

Yet you’re calling our league uncompetitive and theirs competitive.
Not really convincing mate. That's a snapshot of one season. The point the poster was making was that forevermore the team in third will finishiles behind in out league. That will not be the case in England or other competitive leagues.

Or Bolton, Crystal Palace, Norwich, Reading, Stoke City, Bournemouth, Barnsley, Blackpool, Coventry, Swindon Town, Wigan.
All names to 'conjure with and savour'. All (and there will be more) diddy teams. All have been in the EPL.

Not for me. We're Scottish and should play in a Scottish league.
In which we're hated, these Scottish teams lined up to kick us not so long ago.

They wanted us dead, so you'd rather have us put up with referees like last night, you'd still rather the SPFL had their 19th Century Terrorist mitts all over us.

You'd rather watch teams stick 9 behind the ball, mate Scottish football is drowning and if we're not careful we'll sink to mediocre depths.

I don't think this will happen but the negativity or willingness to remain in the current cesspit worries me.

Not really convincing mate. That's a snapshot of one season. The point the poster was making was that forevermore the team in third will finishiles behind in out league. That will not be the case in England or other competitive leagues.

Can you point me in the direction of these competitive leagues?

This has been done to death over the last 25 years and it never changes, it won't happen it's as simple as that, because the English "Diddy clubs" will never agree to it. They had a vote on it about 10 years ago and it was a unanimous 20-0 against.

But FWIW I regard myself as British and Rangers are the quintessential British club.

I have nothing in common with and intensely dislike the small minded jacobite supporting hate filled losers up here who live off us like parasitical dangleberries.

So hypothetically, would I like us to join a British League?

Yes in a heartbeat, but it's not going to happen.

However having said all that if given the choice personally I would much prefer a European Super League of maybe 2 or 3 tiers with proper promotion and relegation based on form.

There's much more chance of some sort of a resurrected ESL happening than a BL no matter what anyone on here or in the Sun says.

In which we're hated, these Scottish teams lined up to kick us not so long ago.

They wanted us dead, so you'd rather have us put up with referees like last night, you'd still rather the SPFL had their 19th Century Terrorist mitts all over us.

You'd rather watch teams stick 9 behind the ball, mate Scottish football is drowning and if we're not careful we'll sink to mediocre depths.

I don't think this will happen but the negativity or willingness to remain in the current cesspit worries me.
The unwillingness to commit to improving Scottish football out of bitterness is what's truly worrying.

Notwithstanding any on-field debates, we’d have to be extremely careful about off-field matters.

Despite the finances on offer, English clubs carry huge debts with questionable ownership.

Are we prepared for that?
100% agree with what you are saying, hopefully the government are serious about fan involvement and the governance of the game that will see owners having less control for things like this in the future and protect clubs. If it had been in place we wouldnt have went through what we did, Bury wouldnt be where they are, Man Utd wouldnt be saddled with hundreds of millions of debt etc etc. However we are where we are and can only hope any change is to the benefit of the fans and the clubs and not the owners

Made up nonsense, but I do expect Scottish football to pursue cross border competition in light on the forthcoming Dutch-Belgian league.

You modern fans deserve everything you get in the future.

You earned it.
At least the fans from the 6 English rat teams were against the ESC reading this thread I think some of our fans would have jumped at the chance.

%^*& me, totally missing the point.
Christ when did Carstairs give residents access to the internet? Yourself & @Mezzala must be a great laugh to sit next to at Ibrox

wanting to see us beat cannon fodder year after year in the league then only hope for maybe a semi final run in the Europa league now and again v playing against teams of a far better standard and possibly playing in the latter stages of the champions league every season.

being able to attract a better standard of player due to investment in the club an the opportunity to expand the stadium to 80-90000 to allow more bears in.

but naw you would rather see us play on shite plastic pitches every second week

We've had huge debts and questionable ownership playing in Scotland!

It's not unique to the EPL.

Craig Whyte and Charles Green made the Glazers look like choirboys ffs.

The Glazers are in a different league to shysters such as Whyte & Green.

The point is that given our experiences, we would be putting ourselves potentially in harm’s way again - if we want to be competitive in the EPL.

Christ when did Carstairs give residents access to the internet? Yourself & @Mezzala must be a great laugh to sit next to at Ibrox

wanting to see us beat cannon fodder year after year in the league then only hope for maybe a semi final run in the Europa league now and again v playing against teams of a far better standard and possibly playing in the latter stages of the champions league every season.

being able to attract a better standard of player due to investment in the club an the opportunity to expand the stadium to 80-90000 to allow more bears in.

But what if this doesn’t happen? What happens then?

You thinking a 90k Ibrox is even a remote possibility sums you and everyone else in favour of this up.

And there I stopped reading.

Have you any idea how 'our' team performed?
We got papped out in the last 16 of a tournament that we had no chance of winning. We are also rans without a realistic chance of winning the 2nd tier European tournament due to our domestic situation

You worry me. You simply do not want what is best for our club long term. You are happy with eternal mediocrity. Broaden you're horizons and don't be afraid of change for the better.
How do we define what's best for the club? Is it purely financial? Do the support and the current board not have a duty of care to preserve the identity of Rangers football club?

Is our integrity worth becoming another debt riddled club that considers a 4th place finish a success?

I'm genuinely curious as to what your thoughts are on this as every hypothetical positive is equally achievable in the mid to long term where we currently are.

At least the fans from the 6 English rat teams were against the ESC reading this thread I think some of our fans would have jumped at the chance.

Completely different to the ESL.

This isn’t a closed shop for starters and matches won’t be taking place halfway around the world. Pretty confident after the PPV debacle in the PL that fans won’t be asked to stump up cash for every individual game too. (Trust me. I’ve no doubt Perez and co seen El Classico going for £19.99 etc)

We will not just walk into the Premier League imo. A proper British Pyramid league system would be a fantastic and intriguing idea though and achievable.

Potential Government involvement makes this much different from previous attempts too.

It’s romantic to think that 700 souls outside Elland Road and Stamford Bridge made these 6 clubs fold so quickly. I’d hazard a guess at potential Work Permit trouble and Super taxes on transfers/earnings works better.

Not sure about that mate.

You genuinely think low-level opportunists such as Green are comparable to the billionaire interests of the Glazers?

It’s a different world.

Regardless, being in the Premiership brings different financial pressures and interest from investors.

Who’s a good model of EPL ownership?

The point is that the Club will change dramatically in order to chase the EPL dream. Fans should be prepared for that.

But what if this doesn’t happen? What happens then?
Then we're no worse off than we are now.

What's your preference? Never try it? Stay in the SPFL forever?

I'm not having a go. I'm genuinely interested.

We all bemoan the fact that we don't have the pulling power in the transfer market like we did in the 1990s. Yet whenever the prospect of us joining the richest league in the world is mooted, there's people all too eager to shoot the idea down in flames.

I just don't get that mentality. It's like they're frightened of excitement, frightened of success. If they never want us to leave the SPFL then how exactly do they see us fulfilling our potential? How do we once again become a realistic contender for European silverware? How do we once again bid against top English sides for talent?

Our continued participation in Scottish football has no answers to these questions.

You genuinely think low-level opportunists such as Green are comparable to the billionaire interests of the Glazers?

It’s a different world.

Regardless, being in the Premiership brings different financial pressures and interest from investors.

Who’s a good model of EPL ownership?

The point is that the Club will change dramatically in order to chase the EPL dream. Fans should be prepared for that.

Not comparable in scale but the Glazers are far better owners than the charlatans we had. The charlatans we had tried to rob us of every penny they could then put us out of business. The glazer model is built on the financial success of the club.

Im not sure there is a good model of EPL ownership (Brighton maybe?) but that just further emphasises the point of how difficult it is to be successful in the EPL.

Seriously?
Yes I don’t see why it would reset to zero. There would obviously be more than a single list in the history books that would explain the history of the competitions we played in and break down how many we’ve won of each, but in the top honours section there would be 56.
Regardless, that isn’t even a point of debate. There’s no proposal and no details to consider so really it’s only a simple question of “would you like Rangers to play in a better league” so my answer to that simple question would be yes until there was anything else to consider.

Back