Scotland XI for the euros

With the first game approaching what is your ideal starting 11 for scotland?

mine would be in a fantasy world:

Marshall - GK
Cooper Hanley Tierney - CB
Patterson Robertson - Full Backs
Gilmour McTominay Mcginn - Midfielders
Dykes Ché Adams -Strikers
I'd have Gordon in for Marshall and Fraser in for Dykes, otherwise the same

Basing it on Clarkes formation I'd go for this:

McGinn playing in front of a midfield three getting up and around Adams.

Alternatively if going for two up top I'd drop McGinn back and take out Armstrong.

scotland-euros_xi-501d06670f3dd685c8411aeacb5114b7.jpg

With the players available, the strongest 11 is probably:

Marshall in goals.

Back 3 of Tierney, McTominey playing as an aggressive sweeper and Hanley
Patterson and Robertson as wingbacks

McGinn, Gilmour and Armstrong as the central midfielders.

Adams and Dykes up front.

---------------------Marshall-------------------------
------Hanley--------McTominey------Tierney-------
Patterson----------------------------------Robertson
------Armstrong----Gilmour----McGinn-------------
---------------Adams--------Dykes-------------------

Gives Scotland some width without having proper quality wide midfielders or attackers. Robertson isnt great defensively and Tierney behind him as the left sided defender of a back 3 gives him a bit of protection and uses Tierney in whats now his best position. McTominey can be flexible and that formation can change to a 4-4-2 or even a 4-4-1-1 with the 2 wingbacks dropping back, McTominey pushing into a defensive midfield role Adams can play off Dykes as a target man. Could even go 4-2-3-1 with Armstrong and Adams either side of Gilmour played as a central attacking midfielder.

Sad thing is there is no way that bawbag Steve Clarke will start Patterson or Gilmour. There will be another 2 papes in their places.
The biggest mistake an international manager can make is not to keep progressing his team as form dips and new talent emerges.
Loyalty to players has no place if a manager is to be successful at this or any level and it is the manager with the big cojones to be ruthless that will get the best out of what is available to him.

Alex Ferguson wrote the script and it kept him at the top for longer than almost anyone else.

The Scotland team is beginning to pick itself, sadly I don't think this manager will be up to being ruthless enough.

I just can't see wtf Dykes brings to the party - personally
He's not even worth the 'nuisance factor' imo & is like playing with a man down

Watch him become our top scorer now
( always assuming we do actually score at some stage )

Alternatively if going for two up top I'd drop McGinn back and take out Armstrong.

I would swap out Marshall for Gordon or McLaughlin but I think that is pretty much the team that I would play.

With the players available, the strongest 11 is probably:

Marshall in goals.

Back 3 of Tierney, McTominey playing as an aggressive sweeper and Hanley
Patterson and Robertson as wingbacks

McGinn, Gilmour and Armstrong as the central midfielders.

Adams and Dykes up front.

---------------------Marshall-------------------------
------Hanley--------McTominey------Tierney-------
Patterson----------------------------------Robertson
------Armstrong----Gilmour----McGinn-------------
---------------Adams--------Dykes-------------------

Gives Scotland some width without having proper quality wide midfielders or attackers. Robertson isnt great defensively and Tierney behind him as the left sided defender of a back 3 gives him a bit of protection and uses Tierney in whats now his best position. McTominey can be flexible and that formation can change to a 4-4-2 or even a 4-4-1-1 with the 2 wingbacks dropping back, McTominey pushing into a defensive midfield role Adams can play off Dykes as a target man. Could even go 4-2-3-1 with Armstrong and Adams either side of Gilmour played as a central attacking midfielder.

Cooper is the best CB in the squad, IMO.

Cooper is the best CB in the squad, IMO.

He's left footed. I'd play Tierney as the left sided defender of a back 3 before Cooper. If you don't mind having him on his weaker side then Cooper could replace Hanley on the right of the 3.

If I was picking the team I’d go:

Gordon
Patterson Hendry Cooper Tierney Robertson
Gilmour McTominay
McGinn Adams
Dykes

I think he'll go with 1 up front and play either Fraser or Armstrong off him.
Would be pleasantly surprised if Patterson and Gilmour start the first game.

The biggest mistake an international manager can make is not to keep progressing his team as form dips and new talent emerges.
Loyalty to players has no place if a manager is to be successful at this or any level and it is the manager with the big cojones to be ruthless that will get the best out of what is available to him.

Alex Ferguson wrote the script and it kept him at the top for longer than almost anyone else.

The Scotland team is beginning to pick itself, sadly I don't think this manager will be up to being ruthless enough.
Argentina 78 proved that beyond doubt.
I expect Clarke to make the same mistake.

My team would be:

GK McLaughlin (obviously biased but don’t think there’s much between the 3 to be honest)

FBR Patterson
DC Cooper
DC Hendry
DC Tierney
FBL Robertson

MR Forrest
MC McGinn
MC Gilmour
ML Armstrong

FC Dykes

I think Clark will opt for McTominey over Patterson with Forrest playing right full back and a narrow 4 maybe a diamond in midfield.

McLaughlin

Cooper Gallagher Tierney

Patterson McTominay Gilmour McGinn Robertson

Fraser
Adams

Cooper has said he's happy to play on the right. I know I'll get grief for picking Gallagher but as keech as he is at Motherwell he's barely put a foot wrong playing for Scotland. Hanley is the more inconsistent of the two. Plus the Czechs are a big physical side and that's Gallagher's bread and butter - just getting his head on balls into the box and making blocks.

Slight question mark over Fraser's match fitness but his pace on the break could be useful.

I think Dykes will be a stick on to start as we're probably going to have to rely on lumping it forward and playing off 2nd balls, he seems the best candidate for that role although we saw his technical limitations a bit last night.

I would ditch McGregor for Gilmour or Armstrong, McGregor spends most of the match running into space 10 yards from the centre backs so he can pass it back to them. Clarke seems to want to deploy him as a deep lying playmaker but McGregor looks afraid to even attempt a risky pass. Midfield should be either McTominay and Gilmour as a 2 with McGinn playing in front of them or McTominay as the sitter with Armstrong and McGinn more advanced on either side

I'm also concerned Christie will be starting, on the basis that he scored 2 decent goals in the last 3 years and Clarke seems to rate him

Callum Mcgregor is a fraud at international level. Same for the tims in Europe but I don't care too much about that.

He is so far out of his depth it's unreal he hides in plain sight.

He only ever looks anywhere like a player up against dross, or when he has bags of time.

There is a reason he still plays for them.

Few posters have said it - and totally agree - mcgregor offers so little and is the midfielder that needs dropped for gilmour.

Similarly o'donnell offers so little but for loyalty will get the start over Patterson.

Nisbet has already shown more than dykes has in his last 10 games, but again - that'll be a tough decision for Clarke to show some bottle and make.

My team would be:

Marshall (better than Gordon)

Patterson
Cooper
Gallagher
Tierney
Robertson

Mctominay
Gilmour
Mcginn

Adams
Fraser

Having said nisbet is better than dykes, think he'd have benefit from more time on the park in recent friendlies. There as an option if fraser is struggling or we need a more lively option.

Callum Mcgregor is a fraud at international level.
That’s because he’s a winger playing at centre mid. That’s ok when you are playing against St Mirren but he has utterly failed against Rangers and European/International opposition for years. He is still riding on the “9 in a row” reputation with our press though.

McLaughlin
Patterson Cooper Tierney Robertson
McTominay Gilmour
Fraser McGinn Armstrong
Adams

I'm stunned others think we're anywhere near good enough to play two up front.
We'd get overrun by most teams.

Hanley was a pivitol player for Norwich’s promotion this season

I must be really unlucky when watching Hanley, as I must have watched him a dozen times last season for Norwich and he was a bombscare every time.

Ive not seen much of him this season but as soon as I turned on the game yesterday he got turned on the wrong side & I thought, yep, he's still pish.

Reactions: cav
I must be really unlucky when watching Hanley, as I must have watched him a dozen times last season for Norwich and he was a bombscare every time.

Ive not seen much of him this season but as soon as I turned on the game yesterday he got turned on the wrong side & I thought, yep, he's still pish.

The Championship is vastly vastly overrated for me.

People forgetting we have already seen how Hanley coped with premier league class forwards.

I would have Cooper in ahead of him alongside Tierney and Hendry based on our performance against Holland.

If he starts Gilmour and Patterson it will make the games a lot more interesting for me.

Two young, gallous and talented youngsters or O'Donnell and McGregor who lets be honest are average at best.

A midfield 3 of McTominay, Gilmour and McGinn is actually very good.

—————————Marshall

McTominay. ——Hanley/Cooper ————Tierney

Patterson———-Gilmour———-McGregor———Robertson

—————McGinn—————————Armstrong/Christie/Fraser

———————————Adams

1978 being a prime example of your point.

With the first game approaching what is your ideal starting 11 for scotland?

mine would be in a fantasy world:

Marshall - GK
Cooper Hanley Tierney - CB
Patterson Robertson - Full Backs
Gilmour McTominay Mcginn - Midfielders
Dykes Ché Adams -Strikers
............................Gordon ........................

............Cooper ......Hendry ..... Robertson....

Patterson ....Gilmour...McTominay.....Tierney

....................Armstrong ..........McGinn..............

..................................Adams ..................................

3-4-2-1

Whilst I think that is not a bad shout their is little chance in hell of that side being chosen, there is not one Scum player involved, unacceptable to have all 5 players from " the best side in Scotland on their day" sitting idle.

Back