Euro 2020 Scotland Vs Czech Republic

Imagine this scenario. We beat St Mirren in a league cup semi final Greg Stewart came off the bench and scored the winner. 6 month later we play the league cup final against Celtic.

"Steven can you explain your team selection today?".

Em, Greg played well against St Mirren so he deserved the chance to play today. Alfredo gives us a great option from the bench.
Baffling, Adam’s did more in the 1st 5 minutes of the 2nd half than dykes did for full game. You could see the lad knew how to play football. I genuinely think if he played his strongest 11 and had biscuit hips available we wouldn’t have lost that today

Belief doesn't make O'Donnell, Marshall, Dykes, Christie decent footballers. Belief had bugger all to do with today.
I disagree.

Look at Wales, or Northern Ireland in the last Euros, Iceland too. And that’s just to name a few. These are teams that have punched above their weight without (Bale aside) any genuine world class talents to elevate them onto a different level.

You could say the same of the Irish under Jack Charlton.

Groups of relatively ordinary players who achieved more than expected because of hard work and, in my opinion, a collective belief that Scotland just don’t seem to have.

Of course it doesn’t help you have a dour, miserable looking bloke stinking out the dugout.

O'Donnell was terrible, they were actively not passing it to him even when he was in loads of space

Said that in a group chat, Hendry decided to shoot from 35 yards rather than making a simple pass to O’Donnell out wide

That itself spoke volumes but there was numerous examples of players being reluctant to pass to him

Suggest you move elsewhere
Tbh I also said Scotland wouldn't get a point from this group, they are a poor group vod players overall and the management is an embarrassment to Scotland. Also the hatred to our fanbase is despicable on all levels so why would anyone expect support of them by many Rangers fans

Team selection was all wrong but even apart from that the lack of composure on the ball from experienced players was typical Scotland at major tournaments. I'm old enough to have seen far better Scotland teams than this make a cúnt of it.

I think folk on here are probably over egging the pudding with Gilmour and Patterson because of the Rangers connection, if I’m being honest.

I think they could have improved us, but there’s still too many ordinary players throughout that squad, not least hopeless cloggers like Dykes and Hendry at either ends of the team, while the guy in the dugout doesn’t look like he’s inspiring anything to better things.
In both cases they're playing at a higher level and in better form than the people in front of them.

O'Donnell is never a wing back. He can play rb in a flat back 4. In that scenario, you play Forrest or Armstrong ahead of him. Christie is so off form, he should not be even in the squad.
England will make about 7 changes and win 3 0.

Team selection was all wrong but even apart from that the lack of composure on the ball from experienced players was typical Scotland at major tournaments. I'm old enough to have seen far better Scotland teams than this make a cúnt of it.
Same mate, been watching Scotland for over 40 years now. This is nothing we're not used to, it doesn't excuse it, but I don't think 0-2 was unexpected tbh.

I have never known any goalkeeper to “have no chance” with quite so many goals as Marshall. He is a complete and utter dud.
A fanny of a guy.

And one wee thing that many probably won't know about.

He doesn't shower after games.

I knew a player who played for Cardiff and I went to a number of games. Marshall was always first back up into the players/family area post match tucking into the food etc. I used to ask him why Marshall was always up so early after the match. My mate said Marshall never showers - just a bit of deodorant and gets dressed.........Which is nice.

Long ball from the back and straight down the middle from the keeper, kick and rush stuff all afternoon, selecting his pet players who last performed well enough to be in the first 11 about 6 months.

Slade still at number 1 are they Stevie?

Utter shambles.

I think folk on here are probably over egging the pudding with Gilmour and Patterson because of the Rangers connection, if I’m being honest.

I think they could have improved us, but there’s still too many ordinary players throughout that squad, not least hopeless cloggers like Dykes and Hendry at either ends of the team, while the guy in the dugout doesn’t look like he’s inspiring anything to better things.

Patterson is genuinely better than O’Donnell but I don’t think having him on would have changed much and obviously people seemed desperate for those two to be on probably partly because of the Rangers connection.

But I just can’t grasp why he’d pick O’Donnell though, he’s really bad.

Of that starting 11 only 2 are International class players, Robertson and the boy that plays for man u, the rest are so lacking in technical ability its frightening.

Scotland are the 3rd lowest ranked team of all qualifiers in the Tournament, and it shows. I understand people want to get optimistic but there has got to be a realisation that we are just not that good. I think it is a technical capability, we just cannot control and pass the ball at pace the way other countries can. I predicted 0 points and 0 goals across all 3 games and nothing today convinces me otherwise.
I get what you're saying, however we have players who play regularly in then English Premier league , and other players who play regularly in Europe, the problem is we have an ex Kilmarnock manger who sets his side out like.....Kilmarnock. The shape was all wrong today, far too cautious, first tournament in nearly quarter of a century and he shat it.

Last edited:
Listening to bbc on the drive home from work and they actually think we played well. Richard Gordon, Willie Millar and Billy Dodds - absolute muppets honestly

turd polishing ramped up to 11

Agreed.

I have absolutely no feelings on that today. Only watched bits of it as i had it on in the background working from home. So there is no sense of sadness whatsoever from me. No emotional attachment at all.

Just haven't been able to support Scotland for a good number of years now. And I used to go to games as a teenager in the 80's and went to Italia 90. No more. The whole environment and vibe around the Scottish National team is not something i can be part of.

Rangers only.
Feel exactly the same m8! They mean nothing to me now!

England are favourites to win the group, they beat the second favourites, and Scotland have just lost to the team most likely to join them at an early exit. Was anyone surprised at the outcome, regardless of the chosen tactics and team?

We were playing one of the weakest times in the tournament, this was the game to go for it.

I disagree.

Look at Wales, or Northern Ireland in the last Euros, Iceland too. And that’s just to name a few. These are teams that have punched above their weight without (Bale aside) any genuine world class talents to elevate them onto a different level.

You could say the same of the Irish under Jack Charlton.

Groups of relatively ordinary players who achieved more than expected because of hard work and, in my opinion, a collective belief that Scotland just don’t seem to have.

Of course it doesn’t help you have a dour, miserable looking bloke stinking out the dugout.

There is a real mentality issue in Scottish football and has been for decades. It's why nations such as Northern Ireland can go to major tournaments and qualify from the groups... and yet we never have!

It's never going to change when the media and the support shrug their shoulders and attempt to justify repeated failure.

It's pitiful.

The team selection was as predictable as it was awful, his substitutions were baffling, guys like McTominay, McGinn and Armstrong who have excelled all season looked like they had never played the game, there have been teams with worse players than that in team who have done well because of good tactics and team formation, Clarke is a dinosaur, but is looked upon as a tactical genius in Scotland,

Clarke absolutely shit the bed.

Mistakes.

3 at the back against 1 striker, get it if Tierney is in the team as he will always shoe horn him in.

Marshall ahead of McLaughlin
O'Donnell ahead of Patterson
Hendry ahead of Gilmour
Christie ahead of Adam
Dykes ahead of Fraser

Said it before the game he took out our most technically best players in each position and went full hammer thrower mentality.

This is not hindsight talking this is obvious to anyone who is not watching football with green tinted specs on.

This was the game to play that team and bed them in and now he has England next and you can bet he will stick with the same pish team apart from one.

I don't feel anything. I can't be surprised or angry because I've seen this episode of the Scotland shit show too many times. Players should be embarrassed with themselves.

But hey, it's not over yet. More laughs to come.

Disgusting team selection from a disgusting manager, cost me £164 the c*nt.

One of my mates backed Scotland single cashed out when the teams were announced and backed the Czechs, everybody I know was questioning the team and optimism tore away when seeing it.

A coward of a manager I hope he sticks with his hero’s who were loyal to him in the next two games rather than throw Patterson and Gilmore in and be applauded for being brave.
You put money on that lot?

I was confident until i saw the line-up today. I thought when this was our game most likely to win out of the 3 that we should have gone 2 up top because if you don't score first then you end up chasing the game, which is exactly what happened.
Clarke went with sentiment, which there is no place for. On another day, yes, we could have taken something from the game but the players that let him down at crucial times today were O'Donnell, Dykes & to a degree Marshall.
People may say its harsh on Marshall as the boy has scored a wonder goal, but there is no reason he should be that far out. I don't think that goal get scored against the 2 goalies in our squad. He was almost in the centre circle ffs! I've never seen him as a Scotland number 1 - I think Gordon is superior.
O'Donnell is out of his depth and has always looked it, not just in this game. If he starts another game in this tournament then Clarke is not the man for the job medium to long term. That is how bad a decision i think that is.
Dykes, you know what you get, but starting up top by himself in a major tournament - no. I understand he wanted him to work the defence which Adams is less likely to do, but Adams on a bad day is as good as Dykes on a good day.

He says we need to learn from today in terms of decision making & take our chances, but will he learn from his own mistakes? Let's see.

You’ve taken the words right out of my mouth.

Agree with every word of that.

O’Donnell is an absolute car crash and playing him ahead of Patterson, and Dykes up front alone, told me before a ball was kicked that it was the usual Clarke display in the offing. No idea how to set out to attack and win a game.

There was a post on here the other night about the Humza Post Turtle, but it could easily be the Clarke Post Turtle. Elevated way beyond his capabilities

How about the manager throws a curve ball to the opposition by playing two of Britains finest talents, instead of putting us all on a downer at 1 o clock.

In both cases they're playing at a higher level and in better form than the people in front of them.
For the avoidance of doubt I’d probably have started both, certainly Patterson in favour of O’Donnell, but the point I’m making is that expecting these two kids to have made the difference today between a defeat and a win is to ignore the mediocrity elsewhere on the pitch and the lack of belief an uninspiring jakey like Clarke is able to infuse his players with.

That narrow penalty shoot out victory in Serbia really puffed up our opinion of ourselves.

The key problem stems from a poor defence and a goalkeeper who cost Scotland the game. The back 3 lack skill and team cohesion. As for Marshall, he should have been better positioned for the first goal, and sleeping for the second. He should be sacked along with Clarke. This team is going nowhere with its tärrier-infested mentality.

Another point to note is that had Patterson been chosen ahead of O Donnell, he would've been put clear through on goal by Armstrong.

Armstrong looked to the right but the clown was that slow he ended up shooting himself and the ball deflected over the bar.
Seen that situation a few times. A big space appearing where a decent attacking fullback would be making himself available - however that cart horse was just getting out of second gear somewhere out of the picture.

Another point to note is that had Patterson been chosen ahead of O Donnell, he would've been put clear through on goal by Armstrong.

Armstrong looked to the right but the clown was that slow he ended up shooting himself and the ball deflected over the bar.

I thought this too, also Hendry would arguably have had an option to lay it off to the right as well.

I’ll never understand why we can’t bed in Gilmour, Turnbull, Patterson & Nisbet all the way through this tournament.

That’s how you develop a national side that next tournament might actually become something more than laughing stock diddy dross

For the avoidance of doubt I’d probably have started both, certainly Patterson in favour of O’Donnell, but the point I’m making is that expecting these two kids to have made the difference today between a defeat and a win is to ignore the mediocrity elsewhere on the pitch and the lack of belief an uninspiring jakey like Clarke is able to infuse his players with.

That narrow penalty shoot out victory in Serbia really puffed up our opinion of ourselves.
That's true but if your manager is coming out and saying that people deserve to play based on something that happened 6 months ago, you're probably right to be criticizing his input. For what it's worth I thought we would have to play well and be lucky to beat a team that qualifies as a consistently as the Czech Republic do. I don't think it's a massively surprising result.

Back