Euro 2020 Scotland Vs Czech Republic

I’ll be honest.

Theres two impact players in the current Yaboo squad I I fear as impact players.

Griffiths and Forrest.

One made the impact l, one was wearing his uncles jacket in the main stand.

Thats on Clarke.

That game was crying out for a 60-70 minute impact players.

Che Adams was brilliant.

Wait what? Are you saying the junkie should be there?

Scotland lack quality and Clarke has been shown up to be an ass in terms of team selection and shape. I expected a win for the Czechs before the match. Man for man they were superior in most departments. Sadly, it is going to get worse. I expect a drubbing at Wembley and a little bit less of a loss against Croatia.

Here’s a theory about why Tierney is missing.

Clarke and Tierney have fallen out.

I think the team have all been told to sing the ‘national anthem’ with gusto.

Tierney refused and hence he is out.

Before the kick off today every player sang every word.

However, in the past, Tierney has stood stoney faced and tight lipped at the ‘national anthem’. Also some other players didn’t sing.

The new enthusiasm the team sing the national anthem is marked.

Clarke was very vague about Tierney’s injury and moved his interview on very quickly.

Fanciful or crackpot?

:cool:
I believe it.

100% right.

As said previously, I was actually a little astonished at how many genuinely felt we’d beat the Czechs. I had no real idea where that was confidence was coming from other than the couple of wins we recorded against them in the Nations League when they were ravaged by Covid.

You look at the squad and it’s all very meh, then you look at the trembling jakey on the sidelines and really the idea we’re getting anything from these games against countries with players that can actually do the basics quite competently is just fanciful in the extreme.
The second victory their team was mostly the same as today, Scotland have the players to beat the Czech’s and on another day the would have.

Better manager would be needed for that.

It’s not if he played his best players
I think folk on here are probably over egging the pudding with Gilmour and Patterson because of the Rangers connection, if I’m being honest.

I think they could have improved us, but there’s still too many ordinary players throughout that squad, not least hopeless cloggers like Dykes and Hendry at either ends of the team, while the guy in the dugout doesn’t look like he’s inspiring anything to better things.

An even game, 2 average teams, both teams had decent chances, they took 2 and we took 0. I think Dykes is out of his depth at this level, Adams should definitely have started. I think Clarke's subs in the 2nd half were a bit panicky and not needed because we were actually attacking well and creating situations. O'Donnell looked nervous from the start. None of our centre halves look convincing. Nisbet and Adams up front for me, Patterson at right back and Gilmour in midfield. Overall we have too many average players. Realistically we will finish bottom of the group now with probably zero points.
There's 2 reasons O'Donnell looked nervous.

1. He isn't good enough for this level and he knows it.

2. It was his first competitive game with serious competition for his place in the team

Disgusting team selection from a disgusting manager, cost me £164 the c*nt.

One of my mates backed Scotland single cashed out when the teams were announced and backed the Czechs, everybody I know was questioning the team and optimism tore away when seeing it.

A coward of a manager I hope he sticks with his hero’s who were loyal to him in the next two games rather than throw Patterson and Gilmore in and be applauded for being brave.

An even game, 2 average teams, both teams had decent chances, they took 2 and we took 0. I think Dykes is out of his depth at this level, Adams should definitely have started. I think Clarke's subs in the 2nd half were a bit panicky and not needed because we were actually attacking well and creating situations. O'Donnell looked nervous from the start. None of our centre halves look convincing. Nisbet and Adams up front for me, Patterson at right back and Gilmour in midfield. Overall we have too many average players. Realistically we will finish bottom of the group now with probably zero points.
I'd go further and get rid of this stupid formation and system. Doesnt suit many of the players there, just away of getting Robertson and Tierney to play.

Scotland lost today because Steve Clarke couldn't put his footballing allegiances aside. That's what it all boils down to.
No wonder many Rangers fans can't bring themselves to support the national team.

Even an ex Ger (Gilmour) can’t get on the park before Christie, Forrest, Fraser etc etc.

We can slag England all we like about over confidence but at the end of the day they’re fans and pundits wouldn’t put up for that level of performance and haven’t done in the past.

Scottish Football as a whole is a joke, the majority of fans on here predicted that type of performance as soon as the team sheets were out.

Technically we are so far behind other nations, I’m happy to be a bear knowing the youngsters we’ve got are being moulded into footballers and not your standard Scottish international. I hope in 5-10 years time we’re looking at an international side full of skilful Gers representing at major tournaments.

On the plus side, based in that performance we don't have to worry about stage managed photos of Sturgeon celebrating anything.

Utter fucking dung, but what do yiue xpect when you employ Clarke and he stays loyal to his mentally challenged roots.

The second victory their team was mostly the same as today, Scotland have the players to beat the Czech’s and on another day the would have.

Better manager would be needed for that.
Clarke was in the dugout for that game too, so why was today different?

For me it’s a mentality thing, one that’s held us back for decades.

We don’t really believe we can win big games like this.

Scotland lost today because Steve Clarke couldn't put his footballing allegiances aside. That's what it all boils down to.
No wonder many Rangers fans can't bring themselves to support the national team.
Agreed.

I have absolutely no feelings on that today. Only watched bits of it as i had it on in the background working from home. So there is no sense of sadness whatsoever from me. No emotional attachment at all.

Just haven't been able to support Scotland for a good number of years now. And I used to go to games as a teenager in the 80's and went to Italia 90. No more. The whole environment and vibe around the Scottish National team is not something i can be part of.

Rangers only.

Would rather see Patterson sit this tournament out,The whole shit show could affect his confidence because I can see us getting destroyed by England and Croatia,
Let the heroes that kicked it off finish it.
There is that.
My own reflection on today was that Clarke is just a pysh manager.
However, he has been lucky in getting us into a tournament that only the likes of Malta and Luxembourg have missed out on.
Even then he almost cocked it up.

That said, recently there has been a few players emerge who could lift this Scotland team up a level.
Players that can play at a higher technical level than O'Donnell, Christie or Dykes.
Clarke simply won't play them because he is a Kilmarnock 'backs to the wall' type manager who cannot grasp that possession of the ball is the secret to playing in European tournament football.

However, he is not alone, it has always been a blind spot in Scotland.
Even more enlightened journalists would only abandon the Craig Brown defensive hide behind the sofa strategy, for the old highland charge up the field that gets the blood racing and gives you glorious failure but a failure nonetheless.

Young Gilmour needs to be given the sitting midfield role with McGinn allowed to sit behind the strikers.
Patterson may be raw but he is just a better football player than the extremely limited O'Donnell.
Dykes isn't a starter in a team hoping to get a foothold in a game.
As for Armstrong and McTominay, both of them failed totally to enhance their reputations today.
Although the Manchester United lad at least has youth on the side of any blame.

The goalkeeper and the Filth lad that does his best work unseen by anyone in Scotland both sold the second goal, and quite honestly in doing so sold the game and probably the section.

I would sack Clark tonight and give Graeme Souness the call, but I doubt that would make me popular in SNP-run Scotland.

But there you go.

I think folk on here are probably over egging the pudding with Gilmour and Patterson because of the Rangers connection, if I’m being honest.

I think they could have improved us, but there’s still too many ordinary players throughout that squad, not least hopeless cloggers like Dykes and Hendry at either ends of the team, while the guy in the dugout doesn’t look like he’s inspiring anything to better things.

Nope Patterson will always be a better option than O’Donnell who is a pub level player

Because he bottled the team this time, a better manager doesn’t make that mistake and sticks to team/system that was successful against the same opposition.

Perhaps it is a mentality thing, but that starts with the manager who has to instil belief via his selections and tactics.

I agree with you on Patterson and Gilmour by the way.

He justified Ryan Christie and Dykes starting because "they played well against Serbia and deserved the chance today".

That game was about 6 months ago.

Just let that sink in.
I had lots of people tell me them plus Marshall and O’Donnell deserved to play because of loyalty for winning the Serbia game. So nothing to do with playing better players in better form

Belief doesn't make O'Donnell, Marshall, Dykes, Christie decent footballers. Belief had bugger all to do with today.

He justified Ryan Christie and Dykes starting because "they played well against Serbia and deserved the chance today".

That game was about 6 months ago.

Just let that sink in.
Exactly, staying loyal to the lads on the pitch that night rather than actually playing his best team Available . Criminal team selection

You think O'Donnell is better than Patterson?

I can atleast give him a pass on Forrest. Forrest is a winger and atleast offered a threat. O'Donnell should've been off at halftime, he offered absolutely nothing. I'd have had Patterson but that's Clarke for you

2 nil down and bringing on McGregor is absolutely mind boggling. It was proved when he came on and offered absolutely nothing. Gilmour should have been on. He is far more creative and positive. Worst of it is we know McGregor will now probably start on Friday.

My team on Friday.
McLaughlin
Patterson Hanley Cooper Tierney Robertson
McTominay Gilmour
McGinn
Dykes Adams

What Clarke will go with
Marshall
O'Donnell Hendry Cooper Tierney Robertson
McTominay McGregor
McGinn
Dykes Adams
You really think he’s going to go two up top against England?

One thing I noticed today was how often the keeper booted the ball for the striker rather than throw out to a defender and build from the back. Its soemthing you see rarely these days and points to Clarke being a dinosaur
McLauglin was pretty good at distribution wasn't he? at the start of the season, there was plenty of remarks that he made us a quicker team

Marshall only there because he saved some penalties

Put aside the poor selections for a moment , the mentality of the team was dreadful. The game was there to be attacked but there was almost zero build, just long balls and passes backwards when they rarely ventured forward.

Christie’s dribble through 3 defenders was excellent and he may have played someone in or had a pop but SOD ballsed it up. Probably the best chance moment and it went pear shaped in typical comedy fashion summing up the game nicely.

In fairness, I think virtually anyone would be an improvement to O’Donnell

Exactly, staying loyal to the lads on the pitch that night rather than actually playing his best team Available . Criminal team selection

Imagine this scenario. We beat St Mirren in a league cup semi final Greg Stewart came off the bench and scored the winner. 6 month later we play the league cup final against Celtic.

"Steven can you explain your team selection today?".

Em, Greg played well against St Mirren so he deserved the chance to play today. Alfredo gives us a great option from the bench.

I was confident until i saw the line-up today. I thought when this was our game most likely to win out of the 3 that we should have gone 2 up top because if you don't score first then you end up chasing the game, which is exactly what happened.
Clarke went with sentiment, which there is no place for. On another day, yes, we could have taken something from the game but the players that let him down at crucial times today were O'Donnell, Dykes & to a degree Marshall.
People may say its harsh on Marshall as the boy has scored a wonder goal, but there is no reason he should be that far out. I don't think that goal get scored against the 2 goalies in our squad. He was almost in the centre circle ffs! I've never seen him as a Scotland number 1 - I think Gordon is superior.
O'Donnell is out of his depth and has always looked it, not just in this game. If he starts another game in this tournament then Clarke is not the man for the job medium to long term. That is how bad a decision i think that is.
Dykes, you know what you get, but starting up top by himself in a major tournament - no. I understand he wanted him to work the defence which Adams is less likely to do, but Adams on a bad day is as good as Dykes on a good day.

He says we need to learn from today in terms of decision making & take our chances, but will he learn from his own mistakes? Let's see.

Here’s a theory about why Tierney is missing.

Clarke and Tierney have fallen out.

I think the team have all been told to sing the ‘national anthem’ with gusto.

Tierney refused and hence he is out.

Before the kick off today every player sang every word.

However, in the past, Tierney has stood stoney faced and tight lipped at the ‘national anthem’. Also some other players didn’t sing.

The new enthusiasm the team sing the national anthem is marked.

Clarke was very vague about Tierney’s injury and moved his interview on very quickly.

Fanciful or crackpot?

:cool:
I'll go with crackpot

Back