"Has it ever been home?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don’t want to come across as an England hater because I’ve got no problem with them winning it, they have a really likeable squad of players this tournament and Southgate seems a nice guy. But %^*& me the media can be unbearable at times. What a stupid question, England is not the centre of the universe. The Danish or Italian players are not trying to stop England, they’re trying to win it for their own country.
Reminds me a bit of when some outlets would just focus on the whole “stopping the 10” thing rather than us winning 55.
You're spot on. I don't mind any of the players or the manager but the way the media are going on as if they already have it won just makes me want them to lose.

Rio Ferdinand was a joke last night saying he didn't care who won between Spain and Italy because England will beat either of them. He seemed to completely disregard Denmark which is so disrespectful to to them after all they have been through in this tournament.

Think some people need to dry their eyes on here. I don't want England to win but would people be questioning the Scottish media if it was us asking a foreigner about things to do with the Scotland team? Or Rangers TV if we were playing Real Madrid in the CL semi-final? Of course not - so leave them to it - we'd do exactly the same.

They would, but I’d criticise in just the same way.

Stupid question to ask a professional sportsperson.

They are mate. And I hope it sticks in every xenophobic Scots throats.

It wouldn't bother me one bit if England won it -but they won't.
Italy are gonna win it.
In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if Denmark win tonight, although I'd love it to be an England Italy final.

It’s a catchy song the fans sing, the press asking questions in that context are asking as fans. The answer is spot on, they should be asking about Denmark’s preparations not about their thoughts on everything England.
Its my favourite song from international football, as you say really catchy.

Pretty sure the lyric was a reference to England hosting Euro 96. Don't know why it's used now for them potentially winning a tournament, doesn't really make sense.

Silly.
It 100% about football coming back to home of its creation the 96 version.

they changed the 98 version and it opens with “we still believe ….. it’s coming home” it’s been somewhere along that it the coming home part changed to winning something.

Fair play to Kasper, it was an awful question, Denmark have actually won the European Championship unlike England, it just sums up how the English media have covered the tournament as if the whole world revolves around them.
Since Englands very first win against Croatia the press have had Englands name on the trophy...Going by last nights match if England do go through, i think Italy will tear them apart.

Someone's let someone in off the street to ask that. Schmeichel says it perfectly at the end in that he hasn't given any thought to how it would feel to stop England more than what it would mean to bring success to Denmark - it's such a weird way that these English journalists think.

Don’t want to come across as an England hater because I’ve got no problem with them winning it, they have a really likeable squad of players this tournament and Southgate seems a nice guy. But %^*& me the media can be unbearable at times. What a stupid question, England is not the centre of the universe. The Danish or Italian players are not trying to stop England, they’re trying to win it for their own country.
Reminds me a bit of when some outlets would just focus on the whole “stopping the 10” thing rather than us winning 55.
Reporter shouldve asked Schmeichel about his team, not the reporter's own team.
Re the likely outcome, never underestimate the power of the 'underdog', especially a team on a bit of a mission following the circumstances surrounding their first game.
Remember too, Denmark were ranked underdogs before, and won it !

Too many people getting hung up on song lyrics, thats all they are. The usual garbage about liking the team but hating their arrogant media.

Regardless of anything, you are either for England or you're not. They are a British team so I'll be cheering them on and I hope England win the tournament.

The parochial, xenophobic, ABE mhob and the racist SNP wanks can all go %^*& themselves!

Reporter shouldve asked Schmeichel about his team, not the reporter's own team.
Re the likely outcome, never underestimate the power of the 'underdog', especially a team on a bit of a mission following the circumstances surrounding their first game.
Remember too, Denmark were ranked underdogs before, and won it !
Yeah but to be fair, Kasper can't hold onto the ball for 25 mins of a match like his Dad did when Denmark won it. Single handedly changed the backpass laws forever

The SNPs tartan army really are a bunch of green eyed monsters who would suck the fun out of anything. How dare the English unite and get excited about their team going far in a tournament with a possibility of winning it. Can you imagine the overkill if Scotland were in the semi final playing at hampden against Latvia and Austria were awaiting the winners in the final at hampden?
Arrogance, I think that’s nae Scotland nae party what’s like us arrogant smugness wins hands down.
Don’t even go there with it’s their media, more than half their media isn’t even English!

It’s jealously from Hamish the haggis, nothing else

While the Laws of the Game were standardised in England in 1863, early versions of a game involving two teams, a ball and a net were played in China about 200BC as well as in ancient Greece.

The song is 'Footballs coming home' - not 'The World Cup's coming home' so as much as it is an extremely stupid question, he's not wrong.

CS response was good though!

It just doesn't.

Much as I can't stand the England football team and want them to lose nearly every time they play, this song (Three Lions) is an absolute cracker. I love the song and am happy to sing it any time. World in Motion was a decent song but I bet hardly anyone could remember most of the lyrics. That's what differentiates them.
Three Lions is the greatest football song of all time and, in it's own right, is a great pop song as a stand alone. It's beloved by England fans and if you're in a pub, the team's winning and it gets played loud a couple of minutes before the final whistle it can be spine tingling. Like it was at the weekend in the pub I was in.

I quite like 3 Lions, it's a guilty pleasure of mine. Even a cursory glance at the lyrics shows you that it is anything but a triumphalist, arrogant song.

However, that's not to say that it hasn't now been hijacked. I've heard countless interviews on the radio where someone has been asked 'do you think it's coming home?' when talking about England's prospects. 100% about winning a trophy, nothing to do with the original song from 1996.

Even Ian Wright said what a stupid question, on ITV’s highlights last night.
Players and Southgate are coming across better than some of the media.
Having said that, England are winning this tournament. So everyone get prepared for the overkill :D
Ian Wright must be a “bigot” :rolleyes:o_O

Irelands fault that the Germany game was at Wembley, I think.

Sure it was meant to be in Dublin.

At least they weren’t hypocrites like our SNP
Government Gazza.

Cases much higher than mid May when games took place at Hampden mate, yet they ignored one & went ballistic on the other.

Think some people need to dry their eyes on here. I don't want England to win but would people be questioning the Scottish media if it was us asking a foreigner about things to do with the Scotland team? Or Rangers TV if we were playing Real Madrid in the CL semi-final? Of course not - so leave them to it - we'd do exactly the same.
Ridiculous

The SNPs tartan army really are a bunch of green eyed monsters who would suck the fun out of anything. How dare the English unite and get excited about their team going far in a tournament with a possibility of winning it. Can you imagine the overkill if Scotland were in the semi final playing at hampden against Latvia and Austria were awaiting the winners in the final at hampden?
Arrogance, I think that’s nae Scotland nae party what’s like us arrogant smugness wins hands down.
Don’t even go there with it’s their media, more than half their media isn’t even English!

It’s jealously from Hamish the haggis, nothing else

Lorraine Kelly has wished them awrabest at the close of her show.

It's the media overload that pisses most folk off.

I'm on holiday in Paignton at the moment and booked into our park's entertainment to watch the screening of the game tonight, did the same for the last few England games and to be fair it's been a great atmosphere although to be fair they've won those games!!

The best thing about the holiday is that in a week and a half we've not seen one green and grey top, its usually hoaching with them, plenty of blue though :))

Im thinkin of Haggis Neeps and Totties for ma dinner the night.
Izzit a good idea. Whit d'yeez reckon.

The song is 'Footballs coming home' - not 'The World Cup's coming home' so as much as it is an extremely stupid question, he's not wrong.

CS response was good though!
He is wrong. But not for the reason you are debating. It is wrong of a journo to ask such a fcuking ridiculous question.

Outside of England, all the other countries and players do not focus explicitly on beating England.

Would any journo have asked the Italian players how much it would mean to beat Spain before last nights game?

Its a fcuking moronic question that makes them highly unlikable.

Many of the bigoted, anti Scottish posts on this thread make me hope even more Denmark show them up.

I guarantee you someone in stone age times kicked a sheep's bladder out of the cave and got a high five from his neanderthal mate, but that doesn't make it football as we know it. You have to start somewhere and it's generally accepted it started in England. That's where the first recognised teams were founded.
The foundation of the oldest clubs in the UK happened so close together in a time of little media save newspapers and little travel that it is inconceivable that football was a nation wide sport rather than merely an English one.

There's nothing arrogant about the lyrics to Three Lions. It's about love and hope is all. It's basically saying, "we're pretty shit, everyone knows we are, we were good once though, maybe we can be again"?
An excellent point indeed. Talk about '66 was never to gloat in fact it was a measuring stick to see how England had underperformed since then, or at least perceived to have done.

Saying England will lose because you dont want them to win is as daft as saying 'its in the bag'. Clearly they have to get past a very sturdy Denmark then beat an exceptionally good Italy so its very much sitting next to the bag and waiting to see whatll happen.

The things you can defo count on are England being in form, Denmark being tailor made for them in terms of style and the home advantage theyll enjoy. They also have a vast experience edge over both Denmark and Italy as far as tournament high end games go.

So all things considered, logically, it does look far more likely England will win and Football will finally come home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back