Away kit officially launches

It’s a decent kit. Not particularly what I was expecting for this year but as others have said the 4th top is going to be special.

I often wonder how they come to decide the design of our kits. Do they do any market research or any consultation with fans?
Mostly I think it's left to the suppliers in house designers who have little empathy or knowledge of tradition and supporters hopes and wishes. They then take it to Robertson et al, they all nod sagely and then go off for a long liquid lunch.
Voila! The proletariat should lap this up at £**.99 a pop.

I'm not a fan as you can surmise but being in my mid 60's I'm not their target customer base. I would though like to see Rangers take the field in something that is aesthetically pleasing with a big nod to tradition.

Memo to future suppliers* Rangers primary colour is Blue. White and Red are secondary colours although Black socks with a Red top are sacrosanct. If you cannot come up with traditional yet desirable to modern tastes designs then you are not up to the job.

* Given the problems of design, quality and supply that Castore have so far shown, then I can only imagine that they are not up to partnership with our Club in the future.

I’m a bit lost with this tradition chat. The strip relates to our roots in Govan. I’d say that’s relating pretty closely to tradition. We’ve had some hugely popular black and red kits in the past Have the kits to be pretty much the same every year?

What is not part of our club’s tradition in any way shape or form is orange however folk go absolutely wild for an orange kit. Interested to hear what you think of orange kits?

The strips fly off the shelf every season, that’s all the market research they’ll be interested in.

Yes, that's what i said - he is doing his job. He's a marketing guy. I/we know how they work. Still doesn't mean we can't question some of his decisions from a fan perspective.

Personally, the club will lose out on a few hundred quid from me alone this season due to some of the stuff Castore and Rangers are signing off on. If I am in a minority it won't make much difference, but i do feel there is a % of people out there who are now looking at this stuff and not being particularly impressed.
I spent a fortune last year, I won’t be this year.

We will absolutely have the big boys back at the table in 5 years time.

Outside the global brands, we’ll be a leading seller within the UK shores.

You can see why Ross Wilson came across as quite awkward and uncomfortable when discussing the kit designs with Bisgrove in the webinar a few months ago. Wilson was trying to be diplomatic but was clearly not a big fan, with Bisgrove teasing him about the designs. Bisgrove signing off on our kits is a problem.
Not sure why Bisgrove was so jovial having seen the bang average stuff they had designed.

Folk moaning about the shorts, what do they want? Genuinely? Look at our shorts from all different manufacturers over the year, plenty are almost identical, home, away, third. I don’t remember anyone complaining that their shorts are too similar? Absolute children.

Not sure why Bisgrove was so jovial having seen the bang average stuff they had designed.

Agreed. I do worry about him when it comes to stuff like this.

Based on this 150 stuff, he needs to be taken out of the loop when it comes to deciding what is acceptable for Rangers kits and colour schemes. He's got this badly wrong.

Would be amazing to get Nike or Adidas but the reality is we’ve not had a deal like that in 20 years. No doubt once Castore ends we’ll end up with Joma or someone like that!
Joma did some cracking Valencia tops a wee while back....

Gold would have worked well providing it was a metallic shiny version which most teams who have incorporated Gold into their kits recently have used. Chelsea, Leeds, Swansea and even Celtic have used the right version/shade. The one Castore have used is utterly pish and have no doubt went with the one they have because it’s cheaper to make.
See new Porto home top for what could have been....

Might grow on me, but it's a bit dull, especially for 150. I could go for red and black, but we could have had something more bold than a black top with a couple of flashes of red. An AC Milan-style black and red stripe, or the whole kit mirroring our classic sock design with black all the way up then red at the top, I don't know, just something more.
Should have been white with map / drawing of original Flesher's Haugh layout....like the crazy yet wonderful Atletico Miniero top.

I’m a bit lost with this tradition chat. The strip relates to our roots in Govan. I’d say that’s relating pretty closely to tradition. We’ve had some hugely popular black and red kits in the past Have the kits to be pretty much the same every year?

What is not part of our club’s tradition in any way shape or form is orange however folk go absolutely wild for an orange kit. Interested to hear what you think of orange kits?

The strips fly off the shelf every season, that’s all the market research they’ll be interested in.
We didn't move to Govan until 1887...

I doubt this one will

Not my favourite, but I generally am not a fan of away tops.

I'd rather stick to the traditional colour template - red and white.

Not that pleased about the Castore top designs in general.

We didn't move to Govan until 1887...

Yes but Govan was the borough where we put our roots down. The place we’ve called home for 135 years. I’d think that’s worth a nod if you want to be a traditionalist.

I couldn’t care less if folk love or hate the strips, it’s such a petty moan. If the team are doing well and bringing home championships they can wear a bin bag for all I care. I’m long past the stage of fussing about football tops.

Castore got a free pass last season from a lot of people due to a quick turnaround in them being appointed to make our kits and COVID rampaging the world. The team performing well probably helped the goodwill towards them also.

I think more people will be disappointed with them due to what’s being served up for our 150th anniversary kits. This away kit is just laughable.

I'm very much in that camp. I felt they deserved some slack last year, all things considered.

This year, they've been a PR disaster, combined with a pretty disappointing offering the first time they've had to think outside the box.

Untitled-2.png

What’s with the white collar? If you’d of kept that black and not added the white it would’ve been decent. They need to come through with the next two kits

Yes but Govan was the borough where we put our roots down. The place we’ve called home for 135 years. I’d think that’s worth a nod if you want to be a traditionalist.
I couldn’t care less if folk love or hate the strips, it’s such a petty moan. If the team are doing well and bringing home championships they can wear a bin bag for all I care. I’m long past the stage of fussing about football tops.
Why are red and black colours of Govan? Serious question

I think I would have ok with out white training kit being the away kit, and the red staff training kit being the 3rd top. It’s more in line with the colour scheme we’ve come to expect.

That being said, none of it is befitting of a 150th anniversary year. The shade and lack of metallic in the gold is unbelievably tacky, and the designs have absolutely no cohesion. It’s like they’ve used a random feature generator for the designs. Jaggy lines, pin stripes, faded lines. They’ve just flung shit at a wall and used whatever stuck.

I wouldn’t expect everything to be directly retro related, but I fully expected every strip this year to be a classic that would be remembered for years to come.

Why are red and black colours of Govan? Serious question
That was the colours selected. Each burgh had its own volour. Visit police museum and see all different coloured police batons

We will absolutely have the big boys back at the table in 5 years time.

Outside the global brands, we’ll be a leading seller within the UK shores.

The thought of another 3 seasons with Castore is a sobering thought. I just can’t see them ever becoming reliable enough.

Genuinely hope it’s not as long as that and there is some way we can exit the deal earlier.

Back