Rangers to sign Charlie McCann (Daily Record)

SC81

Charlie McCann to sign for Rangers from Manchester United as exciting Irish prospect prepares to head north.

The 19-year-old Irishman has yet to make his senior debut for the Old Trafford giants but has been impressive for the club’s under 23s.

Hes going to face the same problems our home grown midfielders do, whos he going to replace in the XI? Never going to play this season, difficult to see him playing next as any of our starters will be replaced by an appropriate signing.

Hes going to face the same problems our home grown midfielders do, whos he going to replace in the XI? Never going to play this season, difficult to see him playing next as any of our starters will be replaced by an appropriate signing.
Right enough.

Just scrap the youth system and the notion of signing promising youngsters.

Davis, Arfield and Jack are not going to be around for ever, very little financial value in that 3 players, if he's good enough then he will get games, Aribo, Kamara etc won't be around for ever either, I think taking in a 19 year old prospect from Man Utd is a decent piece of business.

I know nothing about the player but I have confidence that our management team can spot a talented midfielder. The posters who have complained that our club has been poor at providing a pathway for emerging talent into our first team are right. We have not been very good at this, it is one of the few missing pieces in our operation. But again I have confidence that our wider management team are aware of this issue and are working hard to improve us.

I wonder if we'll send him straight out on loan to get some game time and experience. It's certainly an interesting one does anyone know what type of midfielder he is?

Imagine being a 19 year old midfielder of great potential and coming to Rangers and having midfield mentors like Steven Davis and Stevie Gerrard to learn from. 'I hope young Chas lives the dream with us'.

By the way a signing born in England with an international allegience to ROI must be a real GIRUY to The Tims and those who postulate a sectarian signing myth. If he emulates the skill and dedication of his namesake, Neil McCann when he played for us then 'the future looks bright' ('the future looks orange!').

Last edited:
Right enough.

Just scrap the youth system and the notion of signing promising youngsters.
I take your point, but to be fair I think he is referring more to the midfield, which like most midfields in any top side is difficult to break into. We will need good depth there though, because of the possibility of a heavy committment of games, so this signing makes sense, and hopefully he becomes a good player for us.

A 19 year old who is playing well for Man United’s U23 squad which is the step just before the first team squad is not coming here to play against plumbers and admin assistants in the lower leagues of Scottish football.
That's a cheap way of looking at the B side, and even of being involved at Rangers in any capacity. Also, you do realise many of those "plumbers" etc will be good players who never made it, some by very fine margins? If he did come here and play for the B side, it might even make sense, because the pathway to the Rangers first team may be a lot easier than at his present club.

Sure but we have and have had a few of those, ultimately they never get XI game time at Rangers which is crucial.
This season will be different, we will have the league wrapped up even earlier this season. Celtic will be scrambling for third place with Christie and Edouard still desperately seeking moves away which I do think will happen for sure now they are out the CL.
This will allow us to bleed more youngsters into the team this season at the back end if not before.

We got rid of our best midfield prospect seemingly because of off the field stuff. Sometimes youth players need to move on to make an impact. don’t think we have much around that age for midfield

That's a cheap way of looking at the B side, and even of being involved at Rangers in any capacity. Also, you do realise many of those "plumbers" etc will be good players who never made it, some by very fine margins? If he did come here and play for the B side, it might even make sense, because the pathway to the Rangers first team may be a lot easier than at his present club.

Good young players will back their own ability and believe they can make it at the top level. Man Utd have had far more youth players make the step up than we have in recent years so if anything they have got a clearer path there.

If he signs he will be Ofoborh’s replacement and will be a first team player. If the gaffer rates him highly what’s to say he won’t quickly become a regular or at the very least contribute a fair bit.

Edit - I’ve read some comments that he’s too good for Man Utd u23s and a very good player.

I think it’s pretty clear the better youths (Kennedy, Williamson, Maxwell) will be loaned out rather than play for the B team in the lowland league.

Yeah there’s no chance this lad is a signing for the Lowland League after playing in EPL2 ffs. Some of the stuff you read man :))

Imagine being a 19 year old midfielder of great potential and coming to Rangers and having midfield mentors like Steven Davis and Stevie Gerrard to learn from. 'I hope young Chas lives the dream with us'.

By the way a signing born in England with an international allegience to ROI must be a real GIRUY to The Tims and those who postulate a sectarian signing myth. If he emulates the skill and dedication of his namesake, Neil McCann when he played for us then 'the future looks bright' ('the future looks orange!').
Only one set of supporters hate Neil McCann, funnily enough it’s the same set of bigots that hate Maurice Johnston

Looks to have a bit of everything, technically good with a goal threat but also likes a tackle.

If he does sign we will probably put him on the Scott Wright diet and gradually involve him with the first team

Aye ok mate hahah.

Charlie McCann to sign for Rangers from Manchester United as exciting Irish prospect prepares to head north.

The 19-year-old Irishman has yet to make his senior debut for the Old Trafford giants but has been impressive for the club’s under 23s.

The fact he's at Man Utd means he's already used to high standards which gives him a better than average chance of succeeding assuming we get him.

Can be hit or miss, this type of signing.

If he signs, hopefully he is in the former rather than the latter bracket.

Back