MOTM Poll Malmö v Rangers - 18:00 Tuesday - Premier Sports

Your Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Once again a reality check regards the defence. The collective brain fart for that second goal just shows yet again the margins between in and out at this level. One lapse, or in this case, two and it can rip you to shreds. Truly sixty seconds of madness.

That Davis goal is so massive.

FWIW, I don't rate this mob but tonight shows we need to be on our guard at all times.

Itten didn't do it for me, but in his defence, no centre forward would have made a go of it, with such an inept and out of tune midfield as back up.

If Alfie is available for next week,we need him and then some.

Have to disagree with Kent mate, he never gave up but almost nothing came off for him - agree with the other two.

Would love Wright to assume more responsibility though, have more confidence.
Kent looked like he'd been necking tonic wine before kick off. Barisic sarted poorly but came onto a game, wright was good as was Itten and Tav. No one else gets passmarks except maybe Davo for the goal

The negativity here is unbelievable
What are some folk gona be like when it's a full house at Ibrox?

Malmo 16 Games I'm middle of their Season & we weren't up to the level required yet to play our normal game. Morelos a big miss as Itten is pulling a lorry.
Lundstram bedding into our team.
We had players Banned who would have played before him no doubt.
The Goal is a let off but we will be ready for them as that was their best, we have a much better level to hit for next week

I think tonight was an example of how these qualifiers come far too early for us

I know we were missing players & we didn't play anything like as good as we can

But the fact Malmo are 10 plus games into their season & we've only played one - showed IMO

You say that but they were blowing out their arse after 70-odd minutes, in a game where we weren’t actually stretching them all that much.

They certainly looked the sharper no doubt but it was surprising how shattered they looked towards the end given how far into their season they are.

Our system of throwing our right/left backs up the park and leaving Goldson and Helander works okay in Scotland

In Europe, against better technical teams with pace, it is exposed more often

Similarly, throwing them up the wing to whip in crosses doesn’t seem to work well in Europe either.

We need to be able to play through the middle more when it is clear the wide stuff is not working

I think tonight was an example of how these qualifiers come far too early for us

But the fact Malmo are 10 plus games into their season & we've only played one - showed IMO

Remember back in the Advocaat days the first qualifier was essentially a pre-season work out it was that easy before moving on to the likes of Parma!

The last three seasons we have been battled hardened by the third qualifying round.

Carthorse much like your spelling
You can't see that he slows everything down constantly has his back turned when receiving the ball ..does he not know how to turn round and go forward, first time I've seen him for a full game and he looks overweight and sluggish Steven Davis looked like the young guy in midfield tonight

Tav & Goldson thinking they were back at Tynecastle tonight.
Ridiculous being 2 down, we’re given ourselves a fighting chance now.

Stephen Kelly must be worth a shot instead of Lundstram/Arfield

When the midfield are playing as they did tonight and he cant get on speaks volumes of SG's opinion of him. I dont understand how he thinks he could have been worse.

They aren't brilliant, put it that way. A fully firing rangers vs a fully firing malmo, we wind 9 out of 10.

Complete lack of creation and flair tonight, replace that midfield wise and even 1 hour of Alfredo and we take this,not comfortably seeing as we're still 2-1 down but we take this.
Like most Scandinavian teams they’re functional but that in itself can be dangerous if the opposition malfunction as we did.

The goal gives us a lot of momentum and if we charge them and score at home I’d expect us to go on and take them out clean.

Probably all a bit more complicated than it really should’ve been though.

We lost 2-1 to a side playing out their skin in what was our worst European performance under Gerrard to date. We're still finding our match sharpness, and were still much fitter than them.

4-0 at Ibrox

If Morelos is any kind of playable condition next week he has to play.
If Aribo and Hagi can make the side they should both be in.

Not going to jump on Lundstram. He had a poor game but he's new to the side, every player needs time and he's 5 minutes in the door.

The back 4 need a shake after that though.

I sincerely hope Stevie had learnt a lot tonight.
Lundstram and Wright definitely not ready for this level at the moment.

We need all guns blazing next week, with our strongest team that we can have, and can not have any passengers.

Wayy too many tonight.
Say what?

I know it's not goin to go down well but I would not have Tav in our team next week his position as a defender is woeful, more than him to blame certainly but a lot of our goal losses in euro games have come from his side, his positioning as a defender is embarresing, yes he can give a lot going forward but can someone tell me apart from a great first half of last season when I admit he was our top player what has he done since.
Tav also cost us goals in Europe last season. However, if you suggest on this Forum that as a full back he might not be the greatest, it will bring down the wrath of thousands upon your head.

Haven’t seen a replay of the incident where Kent was brought down at the edge/inside of the box. Was it a pen, free kick or nothing?
Was either a free kick or pen - a foul, certainly, but not sure if inside the box.

Thought Wright should have had one near the end, but then Helander was maybe lucky not to concede one earlier in the second half.

I've given Davis the MOTM tonight but we're clearly no where near this level fit or match sharp yet. Malmo were not a great side their 2 upfront and the 10 Christensen paper over the cracks in their side. Goldson as good as he was for us last season went to sleep in at times. Tav and Goldson had one of their forget about it games. Borna on the other side looked absolutely spent for most of the game. Davis anchored the midfield although you can see he needs minutes in his legs. Arfield and Lundstram were nowhere near it in the second half and blowing out their arses. We'll need to be better going forward and in the final third at home next week. They are there for the taking as they looked like that was their best game and were pretty dejected when Davis scored in the last minute.

Yes, Wright was probably our best player, but DAAAAAVIS!
Wright was good. But his inability to time runs well onto balls knocked into or around the box is frustrating. he has to work on that.

Agree regarding Tav and Lundstrum having poor games. Add Barasic to that. One of his main attributes is crossing, and his were poor all night, as were Tavs. Lack of match sharpness, I'd imagine. But crossing looking for a header seemed a poor tactic against a tall Malmo team - we didn't attempt to play it to feet enough for my liking.

Was disappointed with Lundstrum's decision-making all night. Gave the ball away too many times, and thought him (with Tav) were at fault for the second goal - two men free and neither of them marking either.

Positives: Wright. Itten good hold-up play. We looked fitter than them towards the end of the game, despite them being well into their season. And we'll have a few more players available for the return.
See tbh, no matter how early in the season it is, the delivery of Tav and Borna needs looked at. Surely, the gaffer fillets both of them. Set pieces etc, good chances of goals. The delivery is actually frighteningly bad. Strikers are on to plums with that service.

Literally the only Rangers player out there with any spark…
Eh?...what about Scott Wright? Ryan gave the ball away once too many and a few times he beat himself, yeah he had a spark but that's the type of player he is...Maybe I looked at a different way.

Anyone got the clip of Stevie G’s initial training sessions when he said “we can’t be half jogging in, pressing like that” etc

I think a certain scouser in the team will be hearing that on the plane on the way home

We started that second half as if we were asleep or still in pre season mode besides those 3 minutes they were shite. Hopefully a decent referee next week early goal and bye , bye you Skane wankers.

I’m pleased that after our 60 seconds of madness they barely fashioned another attempt at goal. Could easily have folded and lose 3-0 at that point so fair play to the team

Once again a reality check regards the defence. The collective brain fart for that second goal just shows yet again the margins between in and out at this level. One lapse, or in this case, two and it can rip you to shreds. Truly sixty seconds of madness.

That Davis goal is so massive.

FWIW, I don't rate this mob but tonight shows we need to be on our guard at all times.

Itten didn't do it for me, but in his defence, no centre forward would have made a go of it, with such an inept and out of tune midfield as back up.

If Alfie is available for next week,we need him and then some.

If truth be told that midfield three should never play together again. Davis tonight was a decent 6 out of 10, the other two were a waste of jerseys.

Turned his back on the first goal scorer. That's enough for me!
Pretty poor. He passed the buck all night as well when we needed something else. I'm giving him time though. Whole team was off it but midfield was a worry. I've touched on using Bassey in midfield for games like that and got pelters on here for it. I think he'd have been perfect in there tonight.

Back