Morelos Tonight

I’ll post what I posted in the match thread.

All time top scorer in Europe, fired us into the groups as he’s done in the previous few seasons, where he’s also wracked up the goals against far better opposition. The idea teams will be put off by one off night (albeit a really bad one) like last night is absolutely ridiculous.
You're mounting the same kind of defence of Alfie you discount for Tav. At least be consistent in your analyses.
Alfie was a rotten last night.

That was the worst of Alfredo,hopefully he doesn't dwell on it and is back firing on Sunday because chances will come his way at the weekend.

Watch back the first old firm game. I'm sure it was last season he flicks his foot into someone after the balls away .hibs away for the stamp?.

I'm not going to watch the entire 90 minutes again looking for the kick out. Not denying it happened. Be surprised if he wasn't cited as he usually is. Not mentioned in the BBC match report.

Forgot the stamp in the Hibs game. That's two reds he got away with last season. How many was it the season before that? or Gerrard's first season? Felt like it was a lot more.

I love Morelos. And his performances in Europe have, in the main, been out of this world. You don't become our top European scorer if they haven't.

Last night might have been an off night, the heat etc etc and I can excuse just having an off night. What I can't excuse is a lack of effort and in both Alashkert games (regardless of his goal in the first leg) I thought he looked like he couldn't be arsed.
Might be wrong here but is this not his usual transfer window form? Then window closes and he puts his work clothes back on. Incidentaly what about the old adage we made chances and he was in a position to miss them.

we'll never get any more than £15m for him
giphy.webp

He is what he is, sometimes he has a nightmare, but more often than not he's the matchwinner.
Appreciate what we have, no player is perfect.

An absolute stand out for us since he's pulled on a blue jersey but tonight showed why other clubs will low ball us with offers to take him away. Should have killed the tie at least twice but can miss the big chances at important times. Not denying he's been and still will be our first choice front man but we'll never get any more than £15m for him therefore I'd tie him down long term and appreciate what we've got.
You sound worried but I can’t understand why .

I'm not going to watch the entire 90 minutes again looking for the kick out. Not denying it happened. Be surprised if he wasn't cited as he usually is. Not mentioned in the BBC match report.

Forgot the stamp in the Hibs game. That's two reds he got away with last season. How many was it the season before that? or Gerrard's first season? Felt like it was a lot more.

I'm not sure tbh but I think if it wasn't for clubs being put off with his cards he'd be in the epl now playing.

He got two retrospective reds last season. Those two.

Meanwhile Celtic’s striker had two equally bad & wasnt cited once.

A big improvement on previous years’ discipline.

And despite last night, he has once again fired us into the EL Group stage.

An absolute stand out for us since he's pulled on a blue jersey but tonight showed why other clubs will low ball us with offers to take him away. Should have killed the tie at least twice but can miss the big chances at important times. Not denying he's been and still will be our first choice front man but we'll never get any more than £15m for him therefore I'd tie him down long term and appreciate what we've got.
He had a poor game. He missed a few gilt-edged chances and tbh his passing has been poor the last couple of games but he will come good again and has been a total asset for us in the past.

The alternative way of looking at it is that he's been absolutely central to us qualifying for the group stages in the last 4 years. Key goals against Osijek, Maribor, Legia and even last week again when we were down to 10.

Wouldn't worry too much, his performance last night was very poor, but it happens. Sometimes its just not your night, that's why its a team game.
Bet against him on Sunday at your peril, he will be desperate to make amends, as it will be annoying him as much as it did us last night.

We all know the reason why teams will be put off with him and its nothing to do with ability. How many red cards would he have received looking at all his games last season if var was in use with an unbiased view ?. I don't have the number but I bet the clubs who scouted him do and itl put them of.

What are you suggesting? His discipline has been good for some time

He was really poor last night but in the context of a poor team & poor start to the season for most of them he has one bad game (and no pre season).

What are you suggesting? His discipline has been good for some time

He was really poor last night but in the context of a poor team & poor start to the season for most of them he has one bad game (and no pre season).

If you involve var he's sent off atleast twice every season. That isn't good discipline.

Never get more than £15 million yet we knocked back £16 million last year?!?!
Yep, makes perfect sense!

Sure there probably are goals that show this theory to be total bollocks, but...

When one on one I can hardly ever recall Morelos trying a finish like that of McCann when we won the title at Celtic Park, or and I appreciate this is an incredibly difficult skill on the run, a little dinked Messi finish.

Morelos variety of shot choice at times, is more often than not just to leather the fck out the ball, and I mean it works a lot just always wonder why there isn't a bit more variety in his shot selection.

As an aside, who scored the goal who got us through, when we only scored 1 and our forward passed up 4 or 5 incredible chances, is a bit of a dull argument for me.

Clubs/Scouts will watch these games and think he's not worth the money asked his attitude and movement were non-existent last night.
The chances he missed as well were really poor. I have never seen so many excuses made for a player as you see for Morelos when he doesn't try or misses glaring opporutunities.

I think we’d all accept he’s been harshly treated over the years and while his discipline, at times, isn’t perfect it has certainly improved

It's still isn't good enough for a league with var to spend 20 million on a player who could miss 6 games. We should be glad about his red cards because I think that's a big reason he's still here. Even with that I still hope he's here all season.

He was shit last night, we get it

It does surprise me though how many seem to be willing to jump on his back as soon as he has a poor game, for the amount of holes hes dragged us out of I would have thought he deserved better from some

Hey ho, seems the medias demonising of him has had the required effect on many on here

Who needs enemies eh....

Last edited:
He was honking last night end of story! Three glorious chances to bury the game.He is a real asset to the team when he’s on his game but last night not at the races. We will never get really big money for him because he has far to many games like last night and that’s simply why clubs are not lining up to sign him.

He misses the same kind of chances over and over. The one last night was a good example. Doesn’t show urgency to create separation from the defender, had too many options and just bangs It straight off the keeper in what looks like a half arsed finish.

Bizarrely he often scores these very chances in bigger games. Young Boys twice for example.

Right now though Morelos is the least of our worries. We need Roofe and Kent or Wright back for sunday imo.

It is crazy how blinkered people make themselves. He was absolutely sh*te last night. That's not even up for debate. Just how sensitive do you have to be to see someone say that and demand they qualify it with "ah but he isn't always sh*te/he scored last week". They are honestly not mutually exclusive.

I’ll post what I posted in the match thread.

All time top scorer in Europe, fired us into the groups as he’s done in the previous few seasons, where he’s also wracked up the goals against far better opposition. The idea teams will be put off by one off night (albeit a really bad one) like last night is absolutely ridiculous.
And on the plus side, he rarely has two stinkers in a row…:)

But who still bid £16m. So they thought he was good enough for that price. Saying 'other clubs have looked and thought he wasn't good enough' is a weird take when a club has literally bid £16m for him.
It seems fairly obvious to me Morelos is a very decent player but there must be a reason why he's in his FIFTH season at Ibrox when he's made it clear he wants to go to a higher level and Rangers are willing sellers. 20M is not a lot of cash for most big clubs but so far they think he's not value for money.

It was all down to the choice of shorts.
Fix that and all's fine.

I couldn't take my eyes off them.‍❤️

Wasn’t his best night for us in Europe but he’s been outstanding for us more often than not on our travels.

He’s scored a lot of important goals for us.

If he performed to the level we want him to ever week/game he would of been away for >20m long before now.

His inconsistency has kept him with us. Same with Kent, Tav etc.

What because he had an off night and missed chances? He still got himself into those positions it just wasn't his night

He was strolling about like he couldn't be f*cked. He played to the standard of the opposition rather than giving his all and playing at his best. He's still working his way back to full fitness but it was only two weeks ago he battered a far better Malmo defence for 45 mins and was almost unplayable.

If you think he was putting in the same effort last night as he was in that game then you're blind.

It is crazy how blinkered people make themselves. He was absolutely sh*te last night. That's not even up for debate. Just how sensitive do you have to be to see someone say that and demand they qualify it with "ah but he isn't always sh*te/he scored last week". They are honestly not mutually exclusive.

Ha, is a bit weird aye.

I love Morelos think he is absolute class, the notion you have to simply only ever say positive things about him on a completely anonymous forum that he will likely never read is a bit odd.

If you are of that thought you have likely never spoke about football with a group of people in a pub, at a game or on a supporters bus.

He had a terrible night but lets be honest, he’s first on the sheet with Goldson on Sunday.

Also - his goal put us through!!

Yeah but you said clubs have looked and decided he’s not good enough. Clearly Lille felt he was good enough for them or they wouldn’t have bid.
They were only buying him as cover and had already bought their first choice, and didn't think he was worth 20M.

I'm willing to bet that had we played this team in Oct/Nov, he would have buried at least 2 of his chances from last night. For one of them, all he needed to do was take it around the keeper and he would have had an open goal. Putting it down to a less than ideal pre season. Coming back from the Copa America and having to jog in the car park isn't the ideal start to pre season. He'll be up and running in a couple of weeks. He's got 2 weeks after Sunday to rest, recover and get back to where he was last season. Putting it down to pre season rust but certainly not panicking...yet!

He misses the same kind of chances over and over. The one last night was a good example. Doesn’t show urgency to create separation from the defender, had too many options and just bangs It straight off the keeper in what looks like a half arsed finish.

Bizarrely he often scores these very chances in bigger games. Young Boys twice for example.

Right now though Morelos is the least of our worries. We need Roofe and Kent or Wright back for sunday imo.
Could be a day for Sakala to become a hero, what with his speed and directness.

A £1m signing that has developed into one of the most important players in our team. He has worked hard over the years to shape his all round game. His finishing has always been erratic - that’s never going to change.

What do people suggest because given the option, I would sell and re-invest (would rather be in the position to keep Morelos and add genuine quality to support him but that’s not happening). No team is willing to entertain our valuation no matter what we think of Morelos or how we compare him to Edouard, who will likely go for more even with a year on his contract.

Have one bad game and it’s, his attitude was stinking,we wont get anymore than 15 for him, that’s why clubs wont bid.

F.uck me I hope he buries that mob on Sunday.

A £1m signing that has developed into one of the most important players in our team. He has worked hard over the years to shape his all round game. His finishing has always been erratic - that’s never going to change.

What do people suggest because given the option, I would sell and re-invest (would rather be in the position to keep Morelos and add genuine quality to support him but that’s not happening). No team is willing to entertain our valuation no matter what we think of Morelos or how we compare him to Edouard, who will likely go for more even with a year on his contract.

Why? It is a coachable skill, on the premise of that logic his link up play should never have improved either, doesn't make a great deal of sense.

Closing in on 100 goals, our record scorer in Europe.
He'll do for me, he's a goal scorer, not the best technical finisher, but neither was Super Ally.
Someone's paying 20M+ to take him from Rangers.
Hopefully your correct but by fu*k they're taking their time.

As Coisty always said, "you've got to be there to miss them".

He'll be there again in the right place on Sunday moving towards the 100 - I'd prepare yourself for it OP.

he had an off night

McCoist used to miss many a sitter and still score a barrell load each season
even the likes of Messi, Ronaldo and Kane miss sitters

edit

oh and had it not been for his finishing in the first leg, we'd have been going for ET/Pens

Why? It is a coachable skill, on the premise of that logic his link up play should never have improved either, doesn't make a great deal of sense.

His finishing has improved since he first joined - would you agree, I’m of that opinion.

Maybe he’s reached his ceiling? Name a striker that’s not erratic or misses chances; Mbappe can be wild and he’s a superstar.

Back