Chris Sutton and Neil Lennon in Rangers rethink as security concerns force BT Sport change with former Celtic duo off punditry

Rangers have told BT Sport pundits Chris Sutton and Neil Lennon they won’t be allowed access to Ibrox on Thursday evening to cover the Old Firm’s Europa League clashes.

Record Sport understands Gers chiefs have informed BT of the decision this afternoon to refuse entry due to security concerns.

The former Celtic manager and striker have now been taken off punditry duty having been expected to make Ibrox the base for media duties for the Hoops' clash against Real Betis in Spain and then Rangers ' encounter against Lyon in Glasgow.

But the broadcasters were told it would not be possible to accommodate the duo and it is understood BT Sport have been forced to make alternate plans and host both games from their studios in London with a new punditry team.

Both matches are live on BT Sport 3, with Real Betis vs Celtic first up with a 17.45 kick-off.

That's followed immediately by Rangers hosting Lyon, which kicks off at 8pm, and the programmes will run together.

However, the whole thing will not be broadcast from Ibrox as planned following the decision made on Sutton and Lennon.
Quite right. We should be doing everything we can to prevent nasty viruses from entering Ibrox

What a stupid move from BT Sports in the first place and just a stupid, pointless, petty wide up at best. Why would they actually want to go out their way to cause problems. That does BT absolutely no favours what so ever, absolutely nothing.

Why even consider two bitter, rabid, horrific Celtic fans to cover a Rangers game. The person responsible for even inviting them should have their arse handed to them.
How many times ! They were not covering our game.

Good. About time we stand up and refuse these scumbags entry.

Sutton making it out like he did sums him, you look at other ex foreign players from them that have done our games in recent times and have no bother because they aren’t better scum.

I'm sure Nacho Novo and Andy Halliday would have been welcomed warmly at Parkhead if they were doing TV punditry there in full view of the Celtic fans...

Seriously, who came up with such a crazy idea to begin with!
I don't see the equivalence?
When has Nacho or Andy ever came out in public and attacked Filth FC with real malevolent intent?
Lennon especially has been viscerally vindictive in the words he has thrown towards Rangers.
He was a major voice in condemning us, often without justification during our problems.

Why should he now walk into Ibrox as if nothing has happened?

Sutton should never be allowed near Ibrox again, I’m fairly certain he won’t be either.

As for Lennon, tin hat on, but he is actually a decent pundit, when he is not foaming at the mouth and wearing the green tinted specs.

He would be fairly balanced, he won’t get the chance to be though thankfully.:))

After last season’s shark throwing antics from our delightful neighbours, I’d say Lennon setting foot inside the Knew Camp is a security risk.
I’d also say BT Sports knew this so thought they plank him in Ibrox.
Nae luck TLB.

The real reason BT picked the two to cover the games is that they knew there was a fair chance of them getting abuse. The certainty that FARE would to be in attendance and TV coverage recording this then we would be getting a stand shut. I would not be surprised if BT had been speaking to FARE.

“Security risk”.

Who are they at risk from ?

As welcome as it is for them to not be there, are we really saying “security risk” regarding our own fans ?

They didn't. BT were told not to bring Sutton to Ibrox again in March 2020. Only time he was back was for the Premier coverage of the Celtic cup tie. Lennon is the most divisive figure in Scottish society over the last 20 years and his behaviour on a number of accounts has been reprehensible and the club would not want such a person on the premises.
Are the club going to come out and actually state this or will they just let the media run with security concerns?

All I’ll say is that I wished for the club to be stronger with so called media and pundits who talk shite about us without reproach and now they are so well done Rangers it’s the correct approach imo. Also for those saying it’s a step too far remember these two were laughing away at the expense of our manager once upon a time on Bt sport at Dundee. Not laughing now I see!

The real reason BT picked the two to cover the games is that they knew there was a fair chance of them getting abuse. The certainty that FARE would to be in attendance and TV coverage recording this then we would be getting a stand shut. I would not be surprised if BT had been speaking to FARE.
That’s some heavy paranoia then if you think BT planned this all to see us getting a stand shut.

I actually think Lennon would have been cheered tonight if he had been there, would have been great, honestly couldn't care less if Sutton had been there or not.

They didn't. BT were told not to bring Sutton to Ibrox again in March 2020. Only time he was back was for the Premier coverage of the Celtic cup tie. Lennon is the most divisive figure in Scottish society over the last 20 years and his behaviour on a number of accounts has been reprehensible and the club would not want such a person on the premises.
I agree with the clubs stance on this mark but not sure why he was allowed back in with premier sports but not with BT?

Good. Why should we allow them to use Ibrox as a background for their game as early kick off. Its piss poor from BT in my opinion.

Still find it infuriating when it's our away game being broadcast from inside Parkhead as it's the early kick off.

Correct me if I’m wrong. Was Hartson not in the studio for the OF game? Should stop any talk of security risks

How many times ! They were not covering our game.
Fair enough, didn't think about the Celtic game being on as well. However, considering the bullshit both Lennon and Sutton have said about Rangers and their constant attacks and abuse on our club over the years quite right to tell them not to attend.

I agree with the clubs stance on this mark but not sure why he was allowed back in with premier sports but not with BT?
Technically he was working for Premier Sports not BT Sport

But BT Sport and Sunset & Vince produce Premier's coverage and use pundits/staff from BT Sport

That is some mental paranoia. BT have covered our Europa games like this for the last 12 months. I remember some delightful footage of Hartson at Ibrox close to tears after they got spanked in Prague last season. I’m sure Live It Up could be heard on Ibrox speakers in the background B-)

Back