They were a clever top class team

I was really impressed with them. I thought we played as well as we could against them. They were just much better than us. We’re competing for second in this group.

I thought Lyon were very good tonight, without actually trying.
I don’t think we done much wrong, they are just a very good team.
They will be well qualified by match day 6, thankfully.

They definitely are. Quality wise one of the best we've played under Gerrard.

But is that really what beat us tonight? Lyon weren't exactly at their best either and gave the ball away enough times. It's not as if they sliced us open with non-stop scintillating football.

For me I've not come away from that thinking Lyon were just the better team and we have to hold our hands up. We had so much more we could have put into that game and a lot of what we did just looked flat and off pace.

Let’s not kid ourselves on. We were total shite. Not one player I’d give pass marks to, not even Lundstrum. What will it take for these guys to wake the fk up!

A good team, but can't help but feeling a goal and we would have had them on the ropes.

Really frustrated tonight, too many of our guys still looking like they are not able to reach last seasons levels. We still don't look like we know our best team.

There was something in that game for us tonight.

How many really good chances did they have 4? How many did we have? about 3? There really wasn't much between the teams considering the gulf in wages and transfer fee's in my opinion.

I thought we were poor middle to front, we offered Morelos little service, Kent was poor, Aribo needs to learn to take a shot first time. I think Benfica were better than them.

6 of their starting 11 started against Man City last summer in the QF of the champions league where they put them out so we've played a very good team tonight. Defensively I thought they were ropey but they get away with it cause how good they were middle to front. Sometimes you just have to hold your hands up and say we were beat by a better side.

They are technically very good, well drilled and completely comfortable in possession.

Let’s not get too carried away though they aren’t elite level. Currently 7th in Ligue 1 and finished 4th last season.

They are a good team - we lost one goal through giving possession away cheaply and Lyon scoring a cracker from it. Second goal a bit more unfortunate in the end.

4 games to play now and chance to get the points in the board to progress.

A very good team, I agree.

Can we compete with them more closely than we did tonight? Absolutely

So let's not kid ourselves on we were beaten before a ball was kicked by this "Champions League level team"

A World cup winner, 2 Euros winners, guys like Shaqiri waltzing off the bench, 2 Brazilian internationals in the middle. Maybe not as good as Bayer but better than anything else we've faced. Hopefully they've already won the group by the time we play them again.

Good side, though this season not as good as being made out by some. They scored a peach and got an og…they know how to take their chances and manage a game.
For the first goal they deserve their win. Let’s get the 2nd place in to a group and take it from
their. Onwards and upwards Rangers.

Even with Dembele and Shaqiri missing they are levels above. Boateng has two Champions League and a World Cup winners medal. Emmerson won the CL with Chelsea last season. Our signings don’t really have the same pedigree. Sometimes you just lose to a better team.

More street-wise as well.

We need to get better at the ‘dark arts’ as well, sick of teams coming and diving about and getting away with it.

We need to be that little bit cleverer.

Compared to other teams we have faced over the years they were rather mediocre. Don`t talk that lot more up, no matter what they cost. They had a couple of moments when they scored, then fell back to methods like Slavia and Malmö, conning the ref like there was no tomorrow.

You could clearly see a few of our players were still in Premiership mode, but we have players out there that could cope with that lot ... and SG should finally stop playing Aribo and Kent alongside a single striker when we have better attacking options in Wright, Roofe and Sakala.

Lyon is a CL side, but they hardly rolled us over like Leverkusen. What they both showed us is that we probably would be food and drink to the better sides at CL level. For different reasons though.

We could have been at our very very best and still got beat by them tonight, they are what we should aspire to be after a number of season champions league money and smart player trading. I feel we could have gave them a bit of a closer run tonight but good teams make it hard to play.

Back