Question - Getting to the Airport after a game.

OhmyGers

I am thinking about flying up for the Hibs Sunday game instead of the usual long drive.

I can get a flight leaving Glasgow at 7:50pm, but I've never tried to get to the airport after a game. Anyone know any 'best routes' or escape plans?

From experience is 5pm'ish to 7:50pm, a big enough gap to make the flight comfortably?

Thanks in advance for any tips.

Absolutely plenty of time mate. You'll get there no bother at all.

Edit: if I was you I'd walk up to Helen St after the game, get some food from one of the places there (KFC/McDonald's/Starbucks), kill an hour then order an Uber at around 6pm. Traffic will have died down and you'll be at the airport by about 6.20pm.

You'll be fine. I left work at 9:45pm last night (at the braehead area) and drove past Ibrox on my way home. Traffic wasn't much busier than normal.

Can be very busy and difficult to get a taxi even an hour after a game. I've had a few close shaves with flights. Used to sometimes get a bus to paisley and taxi from there. Bit of hassle but was quicker.

My son made a 4 o'clock flight after the 1_0 win against them a few weeks ago
Was about say f*ck me, he got to the airport in an hour....... Totally forgot the early KO!

Thanks all for the suggestions, good to know the options....... Of course my mate just raised a further complication, I haven't had confirmation yet about my 'English' covid passport being accepted come October!

Yes, goes through Clyde tunnel. X77, I think.
Could walk to Linthouse after the game and catch it. Timetable will be available online.
It's usually the 500 I catch if I ever use Glasgow Airport from either Buchanan Street or just along from Central Station. The X77 sounds more like Prestwick Airport

I read a lot of posts of bears flying in and out of airport on match days why don' t you all get together meet up after the game assemble outside the Louden perhaps and share a taxi between you all.

Pre book a taxi for 6.15 from the Louden. Have a few pints while you wait. You'll be at the airport by 6.30.

Or walk into town and get the airport bus from Waterloo Street. Bus is every half hour and takes about 20 minutes.

This thread :)

"I once had a flight at 9:30pm after an 8pm kick off. Watched the entire game including ET and pens, had 8 pints afterwards, took a horse and cart from Govan cross to Paisely before walking the rest of the way, and arrived so early I couldn't even check in my bags."

Pre book a taxi for 6.15 from the Louden. Have a few pints while you wait. You'll be at the airport by 6.30.

Or walk into town and get the airport bus from Waterloo Street. Bus is every half hour and takes about 20 minutes.
Easily the most convenient option

Really needs to be a rail link to the airport how easy would it be for bears .rail link from town stopping at Ibrox train station to airport and would relieve a lot of the traffic on the roads as folk would jump the train to game ,as delboy says you know it makes sense

Subway to town, train to Gilmour street - 15 min walk.

It’s about a half hour walk from Gilmour Street and St James Street Station.

In the old days when they had a bridge at the racecourse to the pitches over the other side of the M8 it would’ve been a 15 minute walk From St James Street station.

Easiest is taxi or a lift, I pass by airport on way home so could give you a lift straight after game, otherwise kill an hour till traffic dies down and get an Uber or taxi and will be there in 15 minutes.

I've found it can be quite challenging to get a taxi after a game. You'll have to wait about 30 mins or so. Glasgow taxi drivers are very picky about their fares!

I am thinking about flying up for the Hibs Sunday game instead of the usual long drive.

I can get a flight leaving Glasgow at 7:50pm, but I've never tried to get to the airport after a game. Anyone know any 'best routes' or escape plans?

From experience is 5pm'ish to 7:50pm, a big enough gap to make the flight comfortably?

Is it just you?
Where do you sit?

Currently working at the airport. I’m guessing the flight departs at 7:50pm so it will get called to gate around 7:20pm. Sunday evenings are one of the busiest times at GLA and with security being short staffed,as is everywhere, the time to clear security is very unpredictable. So I would get there with time to spare.

3 public transport options are: as people suggested the 500 from the city centre to the airport or subway to Partick and then the 77 to Glasgow airport.
Or easiest option is 38 or 9 from PRW to paisley and then walk from Gilmour street which is 15mins

Don’t rely on taxis is my advice, real shortage of them on the road just now.

Currently working at the airport. I’m guessing the flight departs at 7:50pm so it will get called to gate around 7:20pm. Sunday evenings are one of the busiest times at GLA and with security being short staffed,as is everywhere, the time to clear security is very unpredictable. So I would get there with time to spare.

3 public transport options are: as people suggested the 500 from the city centre to the airport or subway to Partick and then the 77 to Glasgow airport.
Or easiest option is 38 or 9 from PRW to paisley and then walk from Gilmour street which is 15mins

Its about a 30 minute walk from Gilmour Street station to the Airport it’s further than you think.

You cold jump on aa 23/26 to Renfrew from the corner of Govan Road and Summertown road which would take about an hour then get a taxi which you can phone when you are close or get off at Braehead and try to connect from there

This thread :)

"I once had a flight at 9:30pm after an 8pm kick off. Watched the entire game including ET and pens, had 8 pints afterwards, took a horse and cart from Govan cross to Paisely before walking the rest of the way, and arrived so early I couldn't even check in my bags."
He won't want to be hanging around the airport that long. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Several options as I do it regularly

cheapest way is mcgills to Paisley and then airport bus. Downside is that the Sunday service is hourly so would struggle to catch the 6pm bus but it is about a half hour walk from Paisley to the airport

quickest and most expensive ( apart from taxi) is airport bus. You can either walk to cessnock and get underground to Buchanan st or walk from Ibrox into town as bus stops near hilton

If you order a cab to pick you up near the Bellahouston Sports Club entrance, you should be at the airport in 10 mins.

Sent you a pm

It's usually the 500 I catch if I ever use Glasgow Airport from either Buchanan Street or just along from Central Station. The X77 sounds more like Prestwick Airport
It's actually the 77. Via Partick, Queen Elizabeth Hospital and Braehead.

Back