Beaten by a wonder strike and an unlucky own goal

Lyon have spent multi millions on their team and have far more experience at the highest level but aside from the goals we competed well. They are the top seed in the group and we will qualify along with them.

Don’t know what people expected but the negativity on here is well over the top.

I think it depends on how you view how to play a game. I think the coaching staff would be relatively happy with the performance as the plan was clearly to sit off Lyon and limit their chances which we did and on another night we maybe don’t concede. My problem is that tonight was a free hit for the club. Expectations were low and to get a result I think we needed to be in their faces and press high while accepting that there would be a risk of getting picked off. Put another way if we were going to get beat I would rather it was 2-4 than 0-2 but having a go

Lyon have spent multi millions on their team and have far more experience at the highest level but aside from the goals we competed well. They are the top seed in the group and we will qualify along with them.

Don’t know what people expected but the negativity on here is well over the top.
They were a class above, but we competed well with them and we created a couple of good chances. Had it been either of the other teams in the group we played I think we’d have got the 3 points. Lyon won’t be far away from winning the tournament.

Although the first goal was a good strike, both Kent and Lundstram didn’t cover themselves in glory. Kent losing possession and Lundstram allowing him inside easily.

Second goal, Kent again, after doing the hard work, tries to drop the shoulder on the edge of our box and from then, despite the actual goal being slightly unlucky, they had three attempts to score.

We did ok in the game but didn’t cause them enough problems for being at home and both goals were avoidable from our point of view.

I think the negativity isn't regarding the result.

It's the fact that Lyon beat us 2 nil without getting out of first gear. They could of easily went up a few levels last night if we truly challenged them.

The concern from last night is that is the standard of performance we have had so far this season. We don't seem to have the ability to move up a gear or change the plan, which is a complete contrast to last year.

Correct . And no shock in the OTT reactions .

Lyon are a class above us.

We actually played better than I thought we might have given how average we have been this season.

Performance actually gave me huge confidence for the domestic season ahead where every league fixture is a CL qualifier.

Last edited:
I had a feeling of doom before the game an was worried we would get an absolute spanking from them but we didn't and I didn't think we played as badly as the reaction on here suggests.

I agree with the wonder strike. I don't really have an issue with that, it was a great finish.

The 'own goal' though wasn't unlucky or flukey. Defending up to it was dreadful. It hitting off Goldson and Tav when the guy was 5 yards from goal doesn't really mask the bombscare 15 seconds before it for me.

I wasn't expecting a win last night as they have quality throughout their team. I wouldn't agree that their was nothing between the teams, got the feeling Lyon could have injected more pace to the game if they had to. Lyon are capable of winning all 3 away from home so its not a devastating blow for our chances in the group

It's the fact that Lyon beat us 2 nil without getting out of first gear. They could of easily went up a few levels last night if we truly challenged them.

The concern from last night is that is the standard of performance we have had so far this season. We don't seem to have the ability to move up a gear or change the plan, which is a complete contrast to last year.
How do you measure and evidence that mate ? Serious question .

How do you measure and evidence that mate ? Serious question .
What do mean by measure and evidence? It's an opinion like 99% of posts on this forum.

I think we'd all agree that Lyon were dominant in every area last night and didn't look flustered at all.

As for our performances, do they not speak for themselves this year? We are conceding goals that we didn't last year and struggling to score and create which again is the opposite from last year.

People shouldn't forget that Lyon were in the CL semis 13 months ago.
Exactly this

We didn’t do that bad last night, we’re lacking that spark and struggling a bit for form but playing a team who we’re CLOSE semi finalists and not being totally outclassed isn’t really all that bad and certainly doesn’t merit the negativity on here

Lyon are not a bad side but they lost a lot of key players from last season. Depay, De Sciglio, Andersson, Lucas & Cornet left this summer. They're not a 'Champions League team' hence why they're playing in the Europa League.

We are clearly underperforming. Our team 8 months ago would have beaten them. We should have higher standards than just accepting a meek defeat to the 4th best team in France as an 'oh well they're just better than us'. There are very few teams in Europe we should accept being outclassed by at Ibrox. Lyon aren't one of them.

People shouldn't forget that Lyon were in the CL semis 13 months ago.
And 6 of their starting lineup started in those games so that's what we were up against last night.

Mcgregor only had 1 save to make last night compared to Lopes who pulled off an excellent save from Kent. We had chances ourselves but at the end of the day you can't make mistakes like we did against a team of that quality. I do think they may have stepped it up if they had to but find it hard to be raging losing to a team of that quality.

Correct. That was nearly as comfortable for them last night as our win at the piggery was last October.

I actually think we started the game quite well, but fell right out it and their midfield began to boss it. We really could and probably should have been more than 1 down at break.

We ground the game into a 50/50 with a couple of half chances for either side.

They were incredibly efficient with the striker scoring a worldie and we panicked under pressure and cleared the ball into our own net.

Kent forced a brilliant save from Lopes and Tav hit the post.

It was a close game. On another night we sneak a win or get a draw.

Lyon are not a bad side but they lost a lot of key players from last season. Depay, De Sciglio, Andersson, Lucas & Cornet left this summer. They're not a 'Champions League team' hence why they're playing in the Europa League.

We are clearly underperforming. Our team 8 months ago would have beaten them. We should have higher standards than just accepting a meek defeat to the 4th best team in France as an 'oh well they're just better than us'. There are very few teams in Europe we should accept being outclassed by at Ibrox. Lyon aren't one of them.
The players from last season you've mentioned there are the reason they're playing in the Europa though, as they failed to get one of the top 3 league places.

The players they have this season will likely get them top 3 in the French league

Yes true.

We also didn't play well again.

This is the bit that bugs me a little. Over all this season we haven’t really played very well which is what is bothering a lot of people. But any time we play poorly there’s always someone wanting to put a positive spin on it.

Beaten by a better side, absolutely. But wonder goal? Well yeah the strike was great, but Kent and Lundstram’s part in it was really poor and overall we made that game quite easy for Lyon so it doesn’t comfort me to simply say that it was a great strike. And to be honest we were all over the shop at the second goal too.

They were better than us though and are the best pot 1 team we've faced in 4 years in the Europa league under Gerrard. They beat Man City last summer in the quarters and lost to the eventual winners so if you're expecting us to beat a team of that quality then fair enough but to me it's an unrealistic view.

People need to realise that sometimes we will get beat. I didn’t think there was much in the game as you say, I also think that Lyon midfield wouldn’t look out of place in a top 6 epl side

They were more streetwise with a wee bit extra quality, but still the chance of a draw was there.

Second goal wasn’t unlucky. It was a calamity. Ryan Kent to blame for not getting rid and trying to be fancy fannying about.

It was a free hit. The other games will decide the group. We move on

Lyon are top seeds in the group.
To lose last night was not unexpected.
We have to start gathering points from the next five games in the group.

Our main objective is still winning the league

Most would have expected Lyon to beat us others like myself were hoping we could at least pull off the draw at home.
I think the way we are playing at the moment is what is annoying us.
We don't seem to be playing at the level we were at last season.

What do mean by measure and evidence? It's an opinion like 99% of posts on this forum.

I think we'd all agree that Lyon were dominant in every area last night and didn't look flustered at all.

As for our performances, do they not speak for themselves this year? We are conceding goals that we didn't last year and struggling to score and create which again is the opposite from last year.
So it’s an opinion on a team you have almost never seen . Ok cool .

People need a heavy dose of reality. We competed well last night against a far superior team and but for a couple of errors we could well have managed to get a point out of it. We created more than Lyon and possession was almost 50/50. They just have better quality, able to take advantage of errors.
See if we are a couple goals up then our defence collapses and we lose 4 goals sharp, then maybe some of the threads in here would be justified.

They were more streetwise with a wee bit extra quality, but still the chance of a draw was there.

Second goal wasn’t unlucky. It was a calamity. Ryan Kent to blame for not getting rid and trying to be fancy fannying about.

It was a free hit. The other games will decide the group. We move on
I would prefer if its a free hit that we, well, we hit them.

We didnt put them under pressure or test a back-line that often but when we did they looked a little nervous. Some movement in attack, more balls in the box with crowd behind the team, could be slightly different result.

I know very little about French football but i wouldnt be shocked if someone that does said that side are losing goals to smaller clubs all the time and that defence is pretty poor.

Also the respect now being given to Lyon on other threads is starting to sound a bit like the tartan army and media after Scotland defeats. If they were CL giants they would be in the CL.

Well, no actually. The stats are pretty even.

https://www.skysports.com/football/rangers-vs-lyon/stats/457423

Most would have expected Lyon to beat us others like myself were hoping we could at least pull off the draw at home.
I think the way we are playing at the moment is what is annoying us.
We don't seem to be playing at the level we were at last season.
That’s valid i Think the fan base would agree GB50 .

however I think we should leave certain games as outliers and lastnight v Lyon is one of those bEva use playing well against that grade of team looks nothing like playing well against a league team.

its not news its not unsaid its been widely discussed before and now that the rhythm and the click isn’t happenign right . So let’s just keep winning as many games as possible until we re-tune and re-find our flow .

that would be my take on this , don’t get down when we are just trying to get our season shaped up and sitting top of the league

They were a class above, but we competed well with them and we created a couple of good chances. Had it been either of the other teams in the group we played I think we’d have got the 3 points. Lyon won’t be far away from winning the tournament.
People tend to forget that they aren't just any old pot 1 team, they are the highest ranked team in the tournament pre champions league dropouts and were recently in the CL semis. Getting them last game after the other 2 sides drew may just see us through in the group as I don't see them dropping any points until then.

I thought we had a few individual below par performances from normally consistent performers. Small margins all over the field made the difference. They stopped Borna and Tav and pressed Davis. They have better players and tactically were better on the night. We needed 9 out of 10 from our big players and got 7s.

Although the first goal was a good strike, both Kent and Lundstram didn’t cover themselves in glory. Kent losing possession and Lundstram allowing him inside easily.

Second goal, Kent again, after doing the hard work, tries to drop the shoulder on the edge of our box and from then, despite the actual goal being slightly unlucky, they had three attempts to score.

We did ok in the game but didn’t cause them enough problems for being at home and both goals were avoidable from our point of view.

Lundstram could have got tighter but watching it back again, Ekambi saw Tav making up the ground and decided to take it that split second early. Otherwise he might have taken an extra touch. The power he generated on it was incredible.

Common sense at last.

Back