Jack Simpson

I definitely thought “not for me” early doors and I’m usually calling for people to give new signings more time.

He doesn’t look up to the rigours of a Rangers defender. He looks weak and passive. His judgment is poor.

I didn’t catch the team news discussion but I’m unclear as to why Balogun doesn’t start today. “Using the squad” doesn’t mean you have to change critical positions every game. Goldson seems to manage playing them all - why did Balogun get a rest? Did he have a knock?

I just don't see anything good with him at all . He looks a bombscare anytime he's near the ball , and looks as if he could give away a penalty everytime a player runs at him in the box.

Let's get down to it. Yes he wasn't the only one, but the thread is directly about him so here goes.

He cruises about in games looking like he has everything under control, while all around him is indecision and a lack of desire.

Barisic looks a worse player any time he is near him. At least once or twice a game he has a passage of play where he looks cowardly, tentative and hugely out of his depths.

That he wasn't first choice in the championship (which in my opinion has a terrible standard of defending) says everything.

Keirnan, Cardoso and Worrall. That's the players he reminds me of.

A poor signing and doesn't look like he has levels in him at all.

With the goal can see he's trying not to foul the boy but he doesn't even make any sort of challenge

I’ve tried to give him the benefit of doubt so far but I just don’t think he’s good enough.

It wasn’t his fault we lost today but he doesn’t inspire confidence in the fans or the players IMO.
Just in from the beach,had to double check the BBC for the score,gave me a fright CL

Another thing, and maybe this is being REALLY nitpicky :)) , but he came forward with 1 minute left to go for a corner.

His face was tripping him, like a wee boy that's been told he can't go to his mates and play. No desire, no hand in the air asking for the delivery ready to take a knock to get there 1st.

Just looked as if he wanted it over with.

No sign of a winning mentality with him.

Last edited:
Not sure why he’s getting it today, we need to be putting more than 1 away at home against anyone in the league or we risk this happening, today isn’t on him

Think those who were defending him (pardon the pun) from day 1 were those who used to tell me Keirnan, Senderos, Wilson were all decent

He is an absolute bombscare to be honest, woeful

One of a number of poor signings in the last couple of seasons. On a par with Edmundson.

Hopefully Katic comes back in January.

Between Helander, (injured) Goldson (totally out of form) .....you would prefer Simpson to Katic?
Also thank God for big Leon as he is the only one that gives me confidence going forward in that back line.Right now.

I'd prefer Katic, but we don't know how his body is going to react, how his form would be.

I'd have preferred him on loan and keep Katic but I'll trust Gerrard on him for now.

Helander being out is a massive blow as we look so disorganised without him
Normally I’d be echoing what you said but he’s been here since January and sorry but I cannot think of a single appearance where he surpassed the level of “meh no bad”

he’s not good enough.

I hope this is one of these threads that gets bumped in years to laugh at how wrong people were. I have to agree, it's hard to see what Gerrard sees in him.

The guys rank rotten whatever we seen in him to give him 4 years contract is anyone's guess

He plays exactly the same way Rob kiernan did

Nothing against the boy, but he is so far out of his depth it's unreal
Reminds me more of Danny Wilson. Kiernan wasn't scared of physical contact he just didn't have a football brain or awareness.

It makes perfect sense.

Simpson wasn’t expected to play, and Katic isn’t better than the other three so loaning him out to build his fitness up - makes perfect sense.
Katic be one of my 4 all day long before Simpson in the event of what happened to Big Hellander in Perth

Katic be one of my 4 all day long before Simpson in the event of what happened to Big Hellander in Perth
I think everyone would agree with you on that but the problem is Katic needs minutes to get fully after his huge injury lay-off, we couldn’t offer him that as 4th choice for us.

As it turns out big Fil gets an injury and Katic could’ve had minutes but nobody really could’ve predicted that

The only reason I can see that we went for him was that he his left footed.

Unfortunately he is going to have to play if Balogun can't do 2 games a week. If that is the case, Simpson will need to play the home games. I would not like to go to Easter Road or the like with him starting.

Genuinely woeful. You see why he's played less games in his career at 24 years old than Goldson did in his first season for us. He's weak, not good in the air and doesn't know when to commit to a challenge. He's a defender that seems to lack any of the abilities you want at his position. He was a long term target for Gerrard as well, absolutely zero idea what he sees in him.

We let Danny Wilson leave 44 months ago knowing we needed better than him if we wanted to get back to challenging for trophies. We signed the English version of him in the January window for some reason. Signed until 2025.
Have you checked Goldson’s appearance statistics before he joined us?

Said it before on here but you can just tell he is never a Rangers centre back in a million years.

I think everyone would agree with you on that but the problem is Katic needs minutes to get fully after his huge injury lay-off, we couldn’t offer him that as 4th choice for us.

As it turns out big Fil gets an injury and Katic could’ve had minutes but nobody really could’ve predicted that
Exactly mate so I’d make sure we’d be covered with the best players possible

I'd prefer Katic, but we don't know how his body is going to react, how his form would be.
Very true,
But I would rather have Big Niko with the potential he has, than keep persisting with a guy who is not even up to playing in the SPFL.

When you get embarrassed against Motherwell, than how can you possibly expect to play in Europe?
I think this is Gerrard's worst nightmare right now.

Helander our best defender arguably, getting injured.Long term. Again!
Goldson looking back to his best. Of the seasons before last.
And now Gerrard already has realized Simpson is not good enough for Europa league.

As I say thank god for Leon.
Our most consistent defender right now.

Is this going to be like Worrall again? Where the gaffer has a pet project and is determined to be stubborn about it rather than just acknowledging that said player has too many shortcomings to do the business for us?

Say what you want but that was utterly embarrassing from him today. Jumping out of the way of a challenge, reminds me of Danny Wilson and Lustig.

Exactly mate so I’d make sure we’d be covered with the best players possible
Ideally mate aye, but if Helander doesn’t get injured then we have Niko hardly playing and just stagnating.

He’s lost a year of his development, and needs the game time to get back to his best - which would he wouldn’t get here.

Back