Jack Simpson

The number of times he played a shite pass into our midfield was remarkable. Either that or playing it to the wrong player and putting us under major pressure, utter guff
This is the thing that annoys me most about him. He has good technique with the ball but absolutely abysmal judgement when it comes to making the correct choice in pass.

The amount of times he plays Borna into trouble is ridiculous.

No where near Rangers level

I have no idea why we signed him... hes easily bullied and Scottish football thats got to be the bread and butter

Said it before and il say it again sign Bournemouth reserve players thats what you get
What about Brighton or Wigan reserves?.

I get where you’re coming from, but I’m not sure it’s as simplistic as that.

Knowning Gerrard he will persist with him.
Once again Katic is the fall guy, and to say that this guy is better than big Niko, and he is a natural left footed player ...so he should be well ahead of Katic....is embarrassing.
Simpson shouldn’t be here but neither should Katic.

He needs a season to get over his injury, he wouldn’t get that here.

But I would look into the recall option come January.

I'm not saying he can't play football and there may be a style that suits him.

However, he is simply nowhere near aggressive enough for our game. He GENERALLY gets in position to make the header or tackle but headers always seem weak and flop into dangerous areas and he never seems to win a ball on the ground strongly or cleanly. Always bumbling about his feet, breaking awkwardly etc.

He's not for me. No harm to him, but seems too weak for us.
Definitely.

If you’re a hammer throwing forward you’re targeting him some physical battles

He's left footed...that's his only redeeming quality. He's not good enough and will cost us. He had a bad start and it's incredibly hard to get over that at Rangers. I get why Katic is on loan and needs games but would he cost us the same way that potentially Simpson would? Id bet the answer to that is no.

That applies to our captain, our vice captain and a guy who recently got MOTM against Celtic whilst playing out of position.
Tavernier was signed at a time we were in the championship.

Goldson was not a reserve. Before hes heart scare he was playing. We also paid 3.5m for him

Balogun played more or less every minute for Wigan aswell. They was gutted to lose him

Completely different to Jack Simpson who Bournemouth fans were saying hes won the lottery getting a move to us.

Said it before and il say it again sign Bournemouth reserve players thats what you get
Not sure that’s necessarily the case but signing a 24 year old who’d played little over 20 games was definitely a red flag.

Seems like the management got it wrong with him and a 4 year deal was just stupid tbh

Trying hard not to be negative about the boy but what has Gerrard seen in him? he doesn't seem to be anywhere near good enough.
Pre Rangers 24 games and he is 24? Reason for that is maybe he simply isn’t good enough? Another academy player can’t we scout elsewhere?

Simpson looks like a Warburton player.

Don’t want to be overly critical but he’s an absolute wimp that gets bullied far too easy. Call me old fashioned but I expect my CBs to bully strikers and at the very least, win the physical battle

Simpson is the 5th best CB we have at the club - there’s a reason he’s played 40 odd first team games at the age of 24. He’s honestly useless

The two free transfers from Bournemouth are puzzling. I know the midfielder no has a heart problem but before he came was struggling in England.

Ive never seen someone look so unassured in everything he does. What concerns me most though, is, he doesnt even look good with the ball at his feet. Which was supposedly why we signed him. Worrying

Tavernier was signed at a time we were in the championship.

Goldson was not a reserve. Before hes heart scare he was playing. We also paid 3.5m for him

Balogun played more or less every minute for Wigan aswell. They was gutted to lose him

Completely different to Jack Simpson who Bournemouth fans were saying hes won the lottery getting a move to us.
When we signed him isn’t really my point, he’s currently our captain and one of my best players.

Goldson was regularly on the bench for Brighton after his heart scare, so still a reserve in my opinion - I will concede your point about the price, and will add he had a stormer on occasion in the EPL.

Balogun was getting relegated from the Championship with Wigan after being loaned out by Brighton, so I’d say it’s fair to call him a reserve for them.

Simpson hasn’t shown that he’ll be a good signing, so I’m not arguing that - just in case you thought I was being contrary :))

What about Brighton or Wigan reserves?.

I get where you’re coming from, but I’m not sure it’s as simplistic as that.

Please tell me you’re not trying to build a case for his defence?

From time to time, it’s ok just to call it out. He’s poor. He’s weak - weak in the tackle, weak in the air, poor positional sense. Just a poor defender.

He has been schooled by Eddie Howe and it’s very apparent and obvious.

Please tell me you’re not trying to build a case for his defence?

From time to time, it’s ok just to call it out. He’s poor. He’s weak - weak in the tackle, weak in the air, poor positional sense. Just a poor defender.

He has been schooled by Eddie Howe and it’s very apparent and obvious.
Not at all, merely arguing with the line of thinking that players not tearing it up at smaller clubs can’t do us a job.

On top of that let Edmundson go. Who to be fair I wasn't the biggest fan of but hes better than Simpson

Completely strange
Said the same further up the thread mate, Edmundson is the better player and had the desire to be a Rangers player imo although obviously not as a first pick.

Just an odd situation all round, hopefully big Niko will be back in January recovered from his injury or we’ll have to be in the market for another centre half

Simpson shouldn’t be here but neither should Katic.

He needs a season to get over his injury, he wouldn’t get that here.

But I would look into the recall option come January.
Between Helander, (injured) Goldson (totally out of form) .....you would prefer Simpson to Katic?
Also thank God for big Leon as he is the only one that gives me confidence going forward in that back line.Right now.

I would much rather have Katic playing than him. We should send him on loan to another SPL team to see if he can improve, as it stands he's nowhere near good enough for us.

On a number of occasions during my 50 years of following Rangers I've seen a player making their debut and thinking this guy isn’t anywhere near Rangers class. Simpson is one of these players for me. Shouldn’t be anywhere near this team. Honestly don’t know what the management team see in him.

When we signed him isn’t really my point, he’s currently our captain and one of my best players.

Goldson was regularly on the bench for Brighton after his heart scare, so still a reserve in my opinion - I will concede your point about the price, and will add he had a stormer on occasion in the EPL.

Balogun was getting relegated from the Championship with Wigan after being loaned out by Brighton, so I’d say it’s fair to call him a reserve for them.
I think Tavernier, Goldson and Balgoun comparisons are completely different.

Jack Simpson at 24 hardly kicked a ball for Bournemouth. And just from looking at the guy doesn't look the type of CB we should be signing... with Helander out for so long i fear with him at the back

This lad one of the 4 central defenders and Katic on loan absolute madness, Gerrard just doesn’t like Katic simple as that

I think Tavernier, Goldson and Balgoun comparisons are completely different.

Jack Simpson at 24 hardly kicked a ball for Bournemouth. And just from looking at the guy doesn't look the type of CB we should be signing... with Helander out for so long i fear with him at the back
That’s fair enough mate, I agree for what it’s worth.

Badly caught out by a simple long ball in the first half and would have been as well not being on the park at their goal for all he did to prevent it.

Other than that I thought he was ok but for us when teams like Motherwell only go forward a handful of times, being ok is nowhere near good enough.

Simpson to me looks like a midfielder who's playing centre half just because he's tall but he doesn't seem to have the presence needed to be a Rangers centre half.

Without being to hard on the boy again. I just don’t get why he started. Gerrard has complained about not having a settled team with Covid etc. Play ur strongest defence and get that settled.
Out of the 3 decent defenders we have, 2 of them can’t play multiple times per week. Thats why Simpson played.

He's not good enough.

He's had a few chances and not good enough. Can't understand why Balogun wasn't playing today.
The only reason Balagoun wasn’t playing today that I can think off is that as we have the run of games that we have coming up and with Helander out giving him a rest and bringing in that useless c*nt Simpson must seem like the only option as we know how much opportunity the youth players get.
Since he has arrived I’ve seen absolutely nothing from him to say he’s anywhere near rangers standard he’s a sunday league player at best and it’s not like he’s a young prospect player either. 100% should be gone as soon as possible do not see how he can improve quite frankly.

This lad one of the 4 central defenders and Katic on loan absolute madness, Gerrard just doesn’t like Katic simple as that
It makes perfect sense.

Simpson wasn’t expected to play, and Katic isn’t better than the other three so loaning him out to build his fitness up - makes perfect sense.

Thought he was a strange signing at the time. However one mistake at the back can be very unforgiving. We had enough chances to put it to bed in the 1st half.. maybe the attackers to take some of the blame also

Back