Jack Simpson

When he signed gerrard said he was a player we had been “aware of for some time”.

I wonder what they saw during that time….
Gerrard and Scoulding have been huge fans of Simpson for a while prior to him coming. It was a deal we were always going to be desperate to get done.

I personally have never, ever, seen it with him.

I’d guess it’s because Simpson isn’t in the European squad.

We play Livingston in midweek in the cup.

Balogun should have started today with Simpson in midweek, if we were planning on using him.

I’d rather not play Simpson at all. He’s not very good. There’s a reason why at near on 25 he’s barely played any football - 45 appearances in his entire career. He’s not even comfort in possession of the football.

Today really isn't about Simpson exclusively. I've certainly got doubts about him - he looks soft and hesitant too often when defending. (Though he also threw himself into at least one excellent block and cleaned up a mess Goldson made at a long throw today.)

But I don't think it's any mystery that bringing a new centre half into the first team is often a painful process. And during that process, the rest of the team has to step up and do its job to provide extra protection and to create space for the boy to make the inevitable mistake.

What does that mean today? It means that you take your fucking chances and you make damn sure you pile pressure on that Motherwell defence, just in case the new defensive partnership including one extremely raw centre half slips up and gives a goal away. And when the goal is conceded, you get right on the front foot and throttle this inferior team in the last 25 minutes, making sure you at least get some decent shots on target.

Throwing him in v the most physical team in Motherwell was an awful managerial decision in my opinion
If you can't cope with teams like Motherwell, you're not suitable to be a Rangers player.

There's a need for a certain level of physicality in the SPFL.

Today really isn't about Simpson exclusively. I've certainly got doubts about him - he looks soft and hesitant too often when defending. (Though he also threw himself into at least one excellent block and cleaned up a mess Goldson made at a long throw today.)

But I don't think it's any mystery that bringing a new centre half into the first team is often a painful process. And during that process, the rest of the team has to step up and do its job to provide extra protection and to create space for the boy to make the inevitable mistake.

What does that mean today? It means that you take your fucking chances and you make damn sure you pile pressure on that Motherwell defence, just in case the new defensive partnership including one extremely raw centre half slips up and gives a goal away. And when the goal is conceded, you get right on the front foot and throttle this inferior team in the last 25 minutes, making sure you at least get some decent shots on target.
With us shipping so many soft goals surely you pick your strongest pairing and stick with it

I’ve tried to give him the benefit of doubt so far but I just don’t think he’s good enough.

It wasn’t his fault we lost today but he doesn’t inspire confidence in the fans or the players IMO.
Good job we didn't lose today or Jack would be getting more pleters.
For the record I'm not convinced.
But as the gaffer says it is what it is.

We play Livingston in midweek in the cup.

Balogun should have started today with Simpson in midweek, if we were planning on using him.

I’d rather not play Simpson at all. He’s not very good. There’s a reason why at near on 25 he’s barely played any football - 45 appearances in his entire career. He’s not even comfort in possession of the football.

45 career appearances at nealy 25 says it all really.

If you can't cope with teams like Motherwell, you're not suitable to be a Rangers player.

There's a need for a certain level of physicality in the SPFL.
It’s the fact he was dropped in from nowhere though

It’s his first league start since May ffs

Why wasn't Balogun playing ahead of him then if he's the set-in-stone 4th choice?

For a so-called 4th choice CB he get's way more game time than he should.

I don't get Gerrard constantly doing this with the CB's.

Today it cost us.
I agree, it's bizarre. Balogun should be starting ahead of Simpson every single time.

He’s a bag of nerves, can’t defend basic long balls or track basic attacking runs.

A major step backwards from both Katic and Edmondson

As was Borna in his first season.

We need to back the guy ffs, ripping him to bits isn’t going to make him feel anymore secure, improving his performances.

With us shipping so many soft goals surely you pick your strongest pairing and stick with it
And risk Balogun getting an injury, which would leave us with one recognized centre half for the Europa League and force us into playing Simpson week in week out until who knows when? No thanks. Starting Simpson was understandable given those circumstances. Again, Simpson made one mistake that cost us. His mistake wouldn't have cost us if the midfield and forward players hadn't made countless other mistakes and failed to kill the game.

And risk Balogun getting an injury, which would leave us with one recognized centre half for the Europa League and force us into playing Simpson week in week out until who knows when? No thanks. Starting Simpson was understandable given those circumstances. Again, Simpson made one mistake that cost us. His mistake wouldn't have cost us if the midfield and forward players hadn't made countless other mistakes and failed to kill the game.
The league is more important than the europa league this season and if he didn't want to risk balagun bassey would have been a better option

It’s the fact he was dropped in from nowhere though

It’s his first league start since May ffs
Yeah I agree to a certain extent. The constant chopping and changing isn't helpful, albeit it's often forced.

We look vulnerable at the back this season and it's a worry.

first things first the scouting and purchase and last eight months have shown JS is not ready , for a whole host of reasons , to be one of our four CD this season . that he is alarms me

I now think we shoud,be scouting the available players market in case there is someone available because if we really need another guy he is simply not able . furthermore we should be getting our B team guys attuned as best as possible in our squad to cover CD . Or if they prefer then Bassey and whoever playing there . this is a critical situation .

also re the goal today haven’t seen it back but imo CG was outside of the lhs attacker when he shou;d have been inside and JS played it like we knew he probably would . Like an Amateur player imo .

Last edited:
He's not a physical defender, but he's also very limited on the ball too. I know hes down the pecking order, but can't see him making it here

you do realise he's nearly 25?

Better get used to him.
He'll be rotating with Balogun for the foreseeable.

And it’s going to cost us.

Goldson and Balogun were not the problem in midweek against Lyon. That partnership should have continued today. Simpson doesn’t even look comfortable at Scottish Premiership level.

1 successful header won, 1 successful tackle won and 5/8 duals lost. His reading of a long ball is atrocious and he panics under pressure. McGregor was roaring at him both halves today for putting us under pressure or not showing for a ball.

I really don't like getting torn into Rangers players...

But...

He is up there with the worst Rangers centre backs I've seen in my lifetime. Maybe even players. He might have a nice leftfoot, but he is generally utterly clueless in terms of actual defending. There are only so many times you can watch a Rangers defender get skint by a jobber, or look nervous against them.

I remember watching him come on at Anfield for Bournemouth and he basically threw the game because he was a bag of nerves. Nothing has changed in terms of his mentality.

There is absolutely no chance we will make a player out of Jack Simpson.
Gerrard obviously disagrees

Not convinced Simpson is actually good enough for Scottish Championship level, tbh. He has remarkable lack of attributes as a player. Can't read the game at all, no physical presence, doesn't give us any kind of threat at set pieces. Needs moved on asap.

You reckon you can trust Goldson after today?
Goldson had one of his better games of this season. His long passing brought about a few of our more promising attacks and he combined with McGregor to stop a potential goal scoring attack. On occasion he even.offered more of a goal scoring threat than Roofe or Wright.

Don't like being negative about any Rangers player, but he rarely wins a header. For a Central defender that's no good.

Yeah I’m trying to give him as much of benefit of the doubt as possible … however he just doesn’t have it , yet to remember a single game where I’ve watched and thought he did well

At points today he struggled badly and from where I was sitting was at fault for the goal

See when people say things like this trying to make a valid comparison, it comes down to actual ability.

For me, you could see Barisic had actual ability. Came with a good pedigree etc.

Jack Simpson hasn't.

You can stick and persevere with someone who has the talent, but needs the time and support.

There's no point doing likewise with someone who's got little talent and lacking in character.
Valid enough argument, but I disagree if you think JS doesn’t have talent.

The guy is a ball on the ground defender, who tries to play out from defence. He has shown more than a few instances where he robbed his opponent and turned them and played the ball out of danger, in his first appearances I saw his potential.

What I think has him rattled, is the physicality of the Scottish game, it has caught quite a few defenders out tbh, who have joined us.

One now at Porto, was branded a shitebag and garbage and nowhere near our level. Yet he has signed for a side that is likely worth three times what ours is.

I don’t doubt that you disagree many opposition players want us taken down, With their managers instructing them to do so.

It takes balls to be a Rangers defender, big balls. If you don’t have them, then you are going to struggle. I would say being a Central defender at our club is the most demanding position to play in the country. Given time to adjust is necessary.

Personally I would like Jack to be given time and support to try and make it. Many thought don't and won't.

I seen Davis written off, first time around. Kent, Barasic, Aribo, to name three who were also written off, before they found their feet.

I guess we two choices, I know which one I will choose.

Having just seen the highlights maybe Simpson should stay home the rest of the season.
That boy is devoid of any courage or determination whatsoever.

Can someone tell me why we dropped Balogun for Simpson today? The time to rest Balogun was in midweek, not today, as mentioned pre-match.

Simpson’s positional sense, reading of the game, aerial presence and ability to sense and deal with danger is appalling. A rabbit in headlights charging out of position and selling himself.

Balogun took a couple of dunts midweek, we have a big Euro game in ten days.

Helander is out for some time.

It was Motherwell at home to be honest you or I should have been able to partner Goldson to a clean sheet,

however given Simpson isn’t in the Euro squad I would have been giving Bassey a run out at centre half.

People were laughing at posters who suggested we had to dip into the market for a short term fix after Helander’s injury.

It still absolutely must be an option for us. An injury to Balogun and we’re fucked.

Would’ve been better with me in at centre-half today, and I never got past playing in goal for the school football team in my footballing career.

I think Davis is the same principle mate.

People, myself included, thought he was passed it and was a mistake re-signing him but he settled in and came good again.

But again, he was proven talent. He's done it all and played at the levels needed including for us.

Simpson played about 20 first team games in his life age of 23 before coming to us. That's just why I think these comparisons don't really work well bud.

I was thinking Davis first time around, he took a lot of flack back then.

But yeah, he has had his fair share of it both times.

Time will tell with Jack, I hope he can get a grip of it though.

On a different note, hopefully Niko comes back and can command some involvement, as he has the mental attitude and seems to love the club.

Not really no, he had moments. Goldson was never remotely near this level.
Shame that most of those moments were failing to mark his man at a set piece in the last ten minutes of an away game (Aberdeen, Motherwell, Kilmarnock, Hearts, St Johnstone etc.) and then they'd score and then the support would blame someone else.

Other "moment's" include the Spartak Moscow collapse, passing the ball straight to Edouard under no pressure whatsoever so he can stroll through and score against us and the absolute fucking aberration of Hamilton at home in 2020.

He's had a fair few poor performances, but a lot of them were back when there was far less expectation on us due to Warburton and Pedro's type of "defending".

The poor kid shouldn't even start for the B team. Not the first time the shirt has been too heavy to be fair, but can't seem him cutting it for us. I sincerely hope I'm wrong.

Back