Goldson Contract ?

It’s not ideal seeing players running down contracts, but if we keep him and win the league and lose out on a fee for goldson I’m ok with that.

Rather that than sell him in jan for 3-5m and be without our most consistent player for last 3 seasons.
Id sell him and sign doeki but saying that we aint getting much in January maybe we could come to a agreement with him sign a new deal and if a offer comes in he can leave next season

It’s not ideal seeing players running down contracts, but if we keep him and win the league and lose out on a fee for goldson I’m ok with that.

Rather that than sell him in jan for 3-5m and be without our most consistent player for last 3 seasons.
It's as if we're the only team in the world to potentially lose a player in this way and we should be throwing the kitchen sink at our players to prevent it. Sometimes players want more money than a club can pay and sometimes another club wants them and has told them (legally or not) that they're willing to pay an amount that we simply can't match. We know we've been running at a loss for a few years and we've had investors keeping us afloat. We know Covid fucked up the entire world's financial situation to some degree or another and it seems perfectly reasonable to me that we can't meet the amounts Kamara or Goldson might have been told by their agents they could potentially get elsewhere - but it's still a perfectly good offer for a football club at our level. Messi just left Barcelona on a free transfer. It's hardly unparalleled.

Could be mate but surely the players understand he was a bosman and his wages will be higher
Puts us on the back foot though surely. If you’re Goldson’s agent you’d say well if you can afford to pay Lundstrum x and Goldson’s not missed a game during a record breaking title winning season and good Europa run, it’s very much in his favour.

maybe we could come to a agreement with him sign a new deal and if a offer comes in he can leave next season
Problem is that doesn’t benefit the player or his agent as bosman deals with no transfer fee leads to more money for both of them

We need Goldson to help us win the title more than we need the 5m max that he would get us.

Right decision.

That was the right attitude last season when it made financial sense, assuming a player in poor form will win you a title and that there's no better out there, turning down any offers is just very, very bad business.

Every way. Bigger stadiums, bigger crowds, higher profile, better standard of player.

Outwith us and the bheasts the rest of our league is League One in England - at very best.

And there comes a point when playing teams 4 or 5 times a season becomes pretty monotonous.
Totally agree with this, I mean look at Barry mckay and Jason Cummings they couldn't make it in the championship and had to drop into league one. Along with kris boyd and Kevin Thomson (although Kevin was unlucky with injuries). The standard is a lot higher than people give it credit for.

That was the right attitude last season when it made financial sense, assuming a player in poor form will win you a title and that there's no better out there, turning down any offers is just very, very bad business.

Not really when winning the league, of which we are currently top, brings with it £30m.

That's very, very good business.

Remember we would have to spend money on Goldsons replacement as well so, quite probably,would actually have been down money.

Puts us on the back foot though surely. If you’re Goldson’s agent you’d say well if you can afford to pay Lundstrum x and Goldson’s not missed a game during a record breaking title winning season and good Europa run, it’s very much in his favour.
We paid 3.4million thought for goldson if i remember lundsturm was free id also imagine goldson is on a gd wage too
Hes not good enough to hold the club to ransom

Allowing Goldson to run down his deal because of his importance has now set the precedence for others.

What's to stop Kamara, Alfie or Kent saying to the club they're just as important at Goldson and if it's all the same to the club, they'll run down their contract, continue to play and leave on a free as well thanks very much.

I don't blame Goldson. But talking about the need for a player trading model and allowing a multi million pound asset to walk out the door for nothing simply isn't good enough on our part. Especially if you're relying on money in the door to refresh the squad.

Kamara still has another season after this one. He will be sold next summer if he does not sign.. We f&cked up with Goldosn though. I do not care how good he has been our club should not be letting prize assets run down their contracts.
I agree on both.

I feel like next summer regardless if we win the league or not will be alot of in and outs

Allowing Goldson to run down his deal because of his importance has now set the precedence for others.

What's to stop Kamara, Alfie or Kent saying to the club they're just as important at Goldson and if it's all the same to the club, they'll run down their contract, continue to play and leave on a free as well.

I don't blame Goldson. But talking about the need for a player trading model and allowing a multi million pound asset to walk out the door for nothing simply isn't good enough on our part. Especially if you're relying on money in the door to refresh the squad.

What if we had a look and decided that there was no adequate replacement in our price range?

What if we've decided he will be far easier to replace if we get the CL money?

It's not black and white.

What's to stop Kamara, Alfie or Kent saying to the club they're just as important at Goldson and if it's all the same to the club, they'll run down their contract, continue to play and leave on a free as well thanks very much.

Exactly this, should never be allowed to happen

Why January? Contract doesn’t expire until May 2023

(Kamara)
Longer you leave the more chance the player will just hold tight and leave on a free like Goldson is doing. Before you know it we will be in May 2022 and he will only have a year left.

The pair of them have both said publicly they want to stay yet they both haven’t signed extensions.

Speaks volumes.
That's obviously PR from both sides. I would be surprised if either signed a new contract. They will be able to earn far more down south than we can pay them. Our business model is such that we need to sell them. I think Kamara will be sold at the end of the season unless we get a really high offer in January and he will go then . Goldson will go on a free at the end of the season.

Longer you leave the more chance the player will just hold tight and leave on a free like Goldson is doing. Before you know it we will be in May 2022 and he will only have a year left.
I do agree mate but would probably be better to sell in the summer than mid season imo, agree though we’re going to have to get players tied up on longer deals and start cashing in on some.

If he was going to sign he would have by now. I wouldn't say his commitment to the club and team have dropped so at the moment I don't think it's affecting the team but that's not to say it won't do as it gets closer to Jan and next summer.

This is like a partner cheating and you telling them you’re ok with them carrying on sleeping with other people, so long as they stay until the kids leave home.

It’s really sad and desperate to allow him to stay and leave for nothing.

Yip if he decides to leave ill not be very happy with him.

Gerrard&Fans have shown immense loyalty to him by sticking by him when he was woeful during 2019-2020 season after winter break.

Him and Kamara should sign contracts prior to Jan. Loyalty means so much to the fans.

I mean why would you want to move from Rangers when you are a regular starter. The only reason would be to go and play for the team you support.

Or for an extra £30k per week.

We aren't in a financial state to allow players to go for free
That's the issue. Spent 3.5m on him would hope for 10m atleast

Also anyone on this thread bashing our league and Goldson

Shane Duffy has played every minute for Brighton who are flying right now. Ffs don't listen to the hype.. Goldson would be a good signing for alot of PL teams especially bottom 10

I agree on both.

I feel like next summer regardless if we win the league or not will be alot of in and outs
I think management should be planning for this every two or three years now, because there’s not really such a thing as loyalty in football anymore, money’s opened everyone’s eyes.

Yip if he decides to leave ill not be very happy with him.

Gerrard&Fans have shown immense loyalty to him by sticking by him when he was woeful during 2019-2020 season after winter break.

Him and Kamara should sign contracts prior to Jan. Loyalty means so much to the fans.

I mean why would you want to move from Rangers when you are a regular starter. The only reason would be to go and play for the team you support.
Say to him mate u won't be happy see how u get on

We are a side in need of a desperate lift

Is there any news on Goldsons contract?

Why has no one asked the manager in his press stuff?

Pretty critical for us he signs January 1 he can sign for who he wants and then there's no point playing him.
Why has nobody asked is a good question.

It’s literally us asking the questions these days, so are the people fronting the questions afraid to ask a difficult one?

Maybe a bit controversial but goldson has done well in the spl but look how many goals we concede in europe thats the calibre of teams in the epl week in week out
I’ve always thought he’s been shown up against the better teams like benfica, etc in Europe,specially against anyone with decent pace. Probably not champs league quality but then neither are we as a team yet

I think management should be planning for this every two or three years now, because there’s not really such a thing as loyalty in football anymore, money’s opened everyone’s eyes.
I think we have probably shown too much loyalty to players, thinking the modern day player has the same loyalty towards the club, as those of 10-15 years ago had. The fact of the matter is that 9 out of 10 players are nothing more than mercenaries.

Maybe a bit controversial but goldson has done well in the spl but look how many goals we concede in europe thats the calibre of teams in the epl week in week out
The teams we’ve played in Europe would give the majority of EPL sides a game though.

Goldson would be absolutely fine in England
(especially in a lower half team) and there are inferior players getting a game each week down there.

The hype of the EPL gets a bit too much at times tbh

Can’t sell a players of no one wants to buy him, haven’t heard of any club bidding for a Goldson.

We may have wanted to sell in the summer, but unless a club wants a player, and it’s a club the player wants to go to, you are stuck with them

If he was going to sign he would have by now. I wouldn't say his commitment to the club and team have dropped so at the moment I don't think it's affecting the team but that's not to say it won't do as it gets closer to Jan and next summer.
I honestly think it is…….not massively, but just enough to account for why they’re still not at it. The reason I think this is because I believe team squad and unity played a massive part in our success in Europe and winning the league, so I expect any disruption to that would have a reaction. A bit like an Elastoplast I wonder if it would’ve been more painless just to sell once it was known he wasn’t committed (if that’s the case) rather than draw it out over a season, perhaps causing other players to begin to question their own commitment too. Just a theory.

Last edited:
I think we have probably shown too much loyalty to players, thinking the modern day player has the same loyalty towards the club, as those of 10-15 years ago had. The fact of the matter is that 9 out of 10 players are nothing more than mercenaries.
That’s exactly what I was getting at, it’s changed days now and I wonder if rangers as an institution have been slow to realise this

It's now very probably he's leaving at the end of the season. Hopefully we can find a better replacement.

That's the issue. Spent 3.5m on him would hope for 10m atleast

Also anyone on this thread bashing our league and Goldson

Shane Duffy has played every minute for Brighton who are flying right now. Ffs don't listen to the hype.. Goldson would be a good signing for alot of PL teams especially bottom 10
If thats the case why we conceded as many goals in europe

People have short memories last year he was superb before that he was error prone

That’s exactly what I was getting at, it’s changed days now and I wonder if rangers as an institution have been slow to realise this
I think we have, but I also think someone like Ross Wilson should be aware of how the modern market works.

For me, if a player is in the last 2 years of their contract and don’t renew by the time they are into the last 18 months, then that player should be move on regardless of who they are.

I honestly think it is…….not massively, but just enough to account for why they’re still not at it. The reason I think this is because I believe team squad and unity played a massive part in our success in Europe and winning the league, so I expect any disruption to that would have a reaction.
It way well do mate but we'll never know what happens behind closed doors. However, what I see on the pitch from Goldson is the same compared to last albeit at a slightly lower level.

I do agree with the squad unity part, it was a massive factor in our success last season. It's hard to put a finger on where exactly it's going wrong at the moment but it needs to improve and quick.

It way well do mate but we'll never know what happens behind closed doors. However, what I see on the pitch from Goldson is the same compared to last albeit at a slightly lower level.

I do agree with the squad unity part, it was a massive factor in our success last season. It's hard to put a finger on where exactly it's going wrong at the moment but it needs to improve and quick.
Yeah something just isn’t right, even gerrard this season never seems to be happy. Would love to be an insider to find out what’s going on!

Not really when winning the league, of which we are currently top, brings with it £30m.

That's very, very good business.

Remember we would have to spend money on Goldsons replacement as well so, quite probably,would actually have been down money.

I am a bit lost on how we would have been down money, we don't need to spend 6-8m to get a player like Goldson, especially given an entire years notice on the situation.

He's now out of form, is likely leaving for nothing and we have far less to go and bring in someone committed who can replace him or even hopefully bring us up a level.

The attitude of assuming it will gift us the title or there's no better out there simply means we won't be able to sell our assets and find new ones for less than we sell, that's supposed to be our business model.

It's an awful business approach.

Back