Jack Simpson

Simpson’s stats today say differently to what Gerrard thinks. Involved in the Motherwell goal, was involved in a moment of sheer brutal defending that almost allowed Motherwell to go 1-0 up, barely won a header, barely won a challenge all game. Panicked and gave away possession in dangerous areas on a few occasions. Stepped out of defence, got his bairings all wrong and committed fouls in areas that gave Motherwell opportunities to get a ball into the box.

Learned before not to judge too early but thats now a good few games that hes failed to show anything at all that hes strong at.

Weak and positionnally all over place. Had no issue letting Edmundson go as i assumed we were bringing in better but on showings so far its clear Simspon isnt a better player than Edmundson.

The fridge put in a couple of very solid performances for us. Simpson hasn't shown a single positive attribute.

Our success last season was built on a solid defence. Can get away with the odd dodgy striker or winger but when your CB is shite then your in trouble haha

I know he is young and to be developed, but is it just me or does he seem to stand about a lot. A good few times the day, we had the ball and he basically was standing side by side of the player with the ball.... I mean move and give yourself as an option. He was actually getting in the way at times

I genuinely don’t think he would get a game the likes of Hearts or Aberdeen. No aggression, poor in the air and weak in the tackle.

Someone has watch him play in a youth league down south and thought he would get away with it up here.
Unfortunately true, no idea why we handed out such a long contract

I know he is young and to be developed, but is it just me or does he seem to stand about a lot. A good few times the day, we had the ball and he basically was standing side by side of the player with the ball.... I mean move and give yourself as an option. He was actually getting in the way at times
Hes not young ffs

Simpson is just fundamentally not good enough for us, based on everything I’ve seen from him. Hope everyone is wrong but I just don’t see it. Bassey at left centre back would be better.

Surely the manager and recruitment team must regret signing him? There must've been better players available in the pre-contract/free agent market that could've been signed on similar terms.

Get on the phone to klop and get one of the 3 defenders they bought to cover Van Dykes injury last season on loan in january

A signing three years in the making too, I’m sure the gaffer tried to get him in 2018.
Yup, tried to sign him on loan in 2018 but ended up with Worrall instead and seemed to have constant interest in him since.

A transfer that might have made a bit of sense when he was 21 tbf but not 24

Surely the manager and recruitment team must regret signing him? There must've been better players available in the pre-contract/free agent market that could've been signed on similar terms.
There’s better talent in Scotland that would probably have accepted lower wages and be a better option imo.

Not to mention the championship down south, premiership or abroad

Simpson’s stats today say differently to what Gerrard thinks. Involved in the Motherwell goal, was involved in a moment of sheer brutal defending that almost allowed Motherwell to go 1-0 up, barely won a header, barely won a challenge all game. Panicked and gave away possession in dangerous areas on a few occasions. Stepped out of defence, got his bairings all wrong and committed fouls in areas that gave Motherwell opportunities to get a ball into the box.
Are there stats available for individual players and him CC ?

tbh I agree I thought he was , well , extremely weak but I’d be interested in seeing numbers

Seems a bit similar to the Barker situation where the manager sees something nobody else does. He’s going to cost us a lot of goals if he persists with him.

As has been said there are multiple defenders in the league that while being nothing spectacular they would do the basics a lot better than him.

Even as 4th choice, he's nowhere near the required level
That’s how I see it id have been happy to allow him to be a fifth or sixth choice and be around to learn and possibly play some minor games but im alarmed about his levels right now as fourth option . My other point would be he has been here 8 months now and I’m not seeing advancement , that is unlike the other players we have signed .
we are exposed here and now must explore Other avenues imo

So far he just doesn't look up to it at all

He is nowhere good enough on the ball, to be worth his shaky defensive ability

He isn't actually young either mate, he turns 25 this season.

The lad is a 4th choice cb . He should never play regularly

Sadly he has to .

Might as well support him through it

cant see him being here next season

When #2 and #3 have previous for injuries and are having to be managed carefully for fitness, then there's a more than decent chance that #4 is going to have to be relied upon. It doesn't take amazing foresight to see that.

Goldson had one of his better games of this season. His long passing brought about a few of our more promising attacks and he combined with McGregor to stop a potential goal scoring attack. On occasion he even.offered more of a goal scoring threat than Roofe or Wright.
All true but his defending was, at times, chronic.
That back pass to McGregor and I’m not sure he was faultless at their goal.
(I haven’t seen it on television yet)

Looks like a scared wee boy, camera on him at our corner he looked like a rabbit in the headlights, positionally always caught out and doesnt even bring a threat from set plays at our corners. I would take a 70% Katic over this dumpling any day of the week.

Worryingly, I can't think of anything he looks to be any good at? Just a strange signing all round.

So we'll just wrap Balogun in cotton wool and not play him in case he gets injured and we have to rely on Simpson. But by wrapping him in cotton wool we need to rely on Jack Simpson!
Yeah, that's the dilemma. Not saying Balogun should be rested for every domestic game. But Helander's injury was only a week ago. A bit of rotation makes sense now.

We seem to have a hardon for free signings from England. If we signedplayers who were released from a team relegated from Serie A we would be asking questions, but we sign someone who is released from a relegated EPL side and all of a sudden they’re a hidden gem and worth either big wages or a long term contract.

We deserve better. We’re competing for a Champions League spot and we’re shopping in Oxfam.

Gerrard said something about the fans being wrong about Simpson before the game.

He also said after it that he thought Simpson done a lot of good things in the game today.

I'm sorry but that's just blatant lies.

He can't defend, has no positional sense and my 10 year old can header a ball further than him and with more accuracy.

Time for Leon King to get a few games under his belt so we can see what he can do. If he struggles then fair enough, he can go back to the b team.
Simpson is not an SPFL level CH, never mind Rangers level.
When interviewed before the game, I think SG said that the "outside" were wrong about Lundstram (not Simpson).

But Simpson is terrible. Like other posters, every time I watch him, he gives me "the fear". His turning away from the ball at today's goal was the last straw. I know Katic needs playing time but, while he may have taken a few games to get back up to speed, and even at the cost of a goal or two, I'd far rather have him beside Goldson, than Simpson.

I am not going to write the lad off yet. Wearing our jersey is not easy for some players to handle. He may not make it but he deserves a bit more time to try.

Back