Jack Simpson

Here is another thing...

We as a club talk at length of following a "buy low/promote youth and sell high" model but why do we need to bring in Simpson on a hefty deal from the largest cash-rich leagues in the world? At that point we had Goldson, Helander, Katic and Balogun on the books.

Did we need a 5th centre back?

That instantly blocks a path for a youth player.

You are not telling me the likes of Ajax buy players as their 5th choice or indeed 4th choice centre back?

Leon King or Kyle McClelland should have had that spot.

If King or McClelland make that error yesterday, the fans probably stick with them and the young player will learn from it, thus developing. Simpson at 25 isn't going to developing at any rate quite frankly.

it was at least a foot outside it

That clip is incredible, it is the first I've seen it since being at the game, I can't believe how bad he is. He actually gets out the way of the guy, it is unreal.
Christ that’s the first I’ve seen it since the game yesterday and that’s horrific. That’s Russell Martin/Rob Kiernan level of defending.

If Balogun or Goldson end up injured and we’re forced to play Simpson for a prolonged spell then we’re in trouble.

He doesn't really inspire much confidence but, as poor as he was for the goal, the entire back 4 are culpable for conceding it. We're just going to have to get on with it. Injuries, suspensions and poor form are a part of football.

Having just watched that back you wonder what he was thinking about (Simpson that is) at the game I thought the boy must have jinked / fainted / done a movement to put Simpson off balance - but he doesn't he runs straight as an arrow and Simpson instead of sticking a foot (could potentially have gave a way a free kick on the edge of the box had he got it wrong - or checking his run and holding the man up - he does neither and makes it easy for the Motherwell player to keep driving forward.

Here is another thing...

We as a club talk at length of following a "buy low/promote youth and sell high" model but why do we need to bring in Simpson on a hefty deal from the largest cash-rich leagues in the world? At that point we had Goldson, Helander, Katic and Balogun on the books.

Did we need a 5th centre back?

That instantly blocks a path for a youth player.

You are not telling me the likes of Ajax buy players as their 5th choice or indeed 4th choice centre back?

Leon King or Kyle McClelland should have had that spot.

If King or McClelland make that error yesterday, the fans probably stick with them and the young player will learn from it, thus developing. Simpson at 25 isn't going to developing at any rate quite frankly.
I suspect Simpson was bought in large part because he is a natural left sided centre half and Gerrard, Wilson, Beale, etc believe he’s better playing out from the back than the likes of Katic or Edmundson.

So far it looks extreme folly to have offloaded that pair though as both have proven more effective in the role than Simpson has to date.

Some signings just don’t work out.

This is increasingly looking like one of them.

He wasn't great, but if we take our chances there wouldn't be a thread on him today.
Saying that, we should probably be going with Goldson-Balogun 90% of the time until FH is back. Surely if Goldson can play every match, others can too?

Check the various clips of the goal online. He basically moved out of the way as the Motherwell player was bursting forward towards the box. See the link at post 514 above.
So how does he shite it? Was he supposed to just body check the defender, give away a penalty(?)

So how does he shite it? Was he supposed to just body check the defender, give away a penalty(?)
Seriously, are you just trolling now? He could have tackled the boy. He was a yard outside the box. Even giving away a free kick would have been better than just letting him waltz by him

You can't say the warning signs weren't there when we signed Simpson when you buy a 5th choice Bournemouth defender with barely any game time in his career what do you expect ?

Another bizarre punt which hasn't worked out.

Shocking signing by Gerrard and Ross Wilson and generally sums up our transfer business of late.

Last edited:
One of a fair few English players we've signed that were signed just because they were at an EPL club and no matter what English players are just better and it'll be a walk in the park for them. It's the whole thinking just because they've been at a club in England they'll automatically be good enough for us because the SPL is shite. But really the SPL requires a whole different skillset on a whole, especially for us, and playing for a team expected to win every game is much different to a lower level EPL club.

The entire defence were at fault fir that goal, but Simpson was by far the worst, it tells you all about him when you see he was 6 years as a first team squad member at Bournemouth, and played 20 times.

Simpson gets caught in two minds. Makes a mistake. Considering he is playing his second game of the season not unexpected he will not be totally match sharp. That goal was Tav didn’t deal with a simple ball. Simpson did some other things pretty well. He needs some time. Getting in his back won’t help. I have doubts as well but am not seeing him train every day. Gerrard is and knew that Hellander and Balogan had injury issues. He still thought Simpson a better option than Edmundson or Katic

Roofe made a number of bad decisions in the Motherwell box as did Aribo, Davis, Sakala and Kamara. No threads on them. If they had converted one of the chances they created we wouldn’t be having the conversation.

Simpson gets caught in two minds. Makes a mistake. Considering he is playing his second game of the season not unexpected he will not be totally match sharp. That goal was Tav didn’t deal with a simple ball. Simpson did some other things pretty well. He needs some time. Getting in his back won’t help. I have doubts as well but am not seeing him train every day. Gerrard is and knew that Hellander and Balogan had injury issues. He still thought Simpson a better option than Edmundson or Katic

Roofe made a number of bad decisions in the Motherwell box as did Aribo, Davis, Sakala and Kamara. No threads on them. If they had converted one of the chances they created we wouldn’t be having the conversation.
Roofe went for power when all he had to do was place the shot inside the near post. Not suggesting it was an easy finish but it was the wrong shot choice. Not like him as he's usually pretty clinical when he gets a chance.

I can’t judge him on yesterday’s game as I never seen it but for me I don’t see it with him. Won’t skate him or bash him but I just don’t think he’s good enough in the games he’s featured previously. Genuinely think Edmundson is a better defender IMO

It's obvious that 99.9% of posters on here think that Simpson is simply nowhere near good enough. None of us know more than Stevie G about football but that doesn't mean we're not right about this. What is the process for the fans letting the manager know what we think?

Even if he ignores it he should be aware that when 50,000 people at a game all disagree with you then you just may have got it wrong. There must be some way of getting that message across.

That’s the first I’ve seen it.
I had always thought he was the player who’d made the tackle.
(Although, at the game, I’d actually seen the player get through unchallenged.)
Yes, absolutely, a very poor error.
I need to add here that I don’t think Goldson did enough either and this DOES NOT excuse Simpson’s garbage play.
you should be working for Sportscene

Doesn't matter if he's Franz Beckenbauer in training. You win no points in training. Every single game he's played he's been garbage. That's a fact.

Would love to hear Gerrard's thoughts on punters from FF picking the team for him. Would be a good laugh.

First time I have seen the goal since yesterday. Like many of the goals we have lost, it was amateur defending. Not one of the back 4 got a tackle in, nor was there any midfielder covering the defence.
Simpson is raw, but how many goals come from the right side of our defence?
That was a collective failure yesterday, symptomatic of where the whole team is at the moment.
We need to get back to keeping clean sheets at all costs. Too soft.

W
it was at least a foot outside it

That clip is incredible, it is the first I've seen it since being at the game, I can't believe how bad he is. He actually gets out the way of the guy, it is unreal.
re Jack S there what occurs to me is were that on his left side he would like;y have seen his challenge through with his left foot , I’m thinking he stalled because it was his weaker side

i doubt he has the mindset of a defender

W

re Jack S there what occurs to me is were that on his left side he would like;y have seen his challenge through with his left foot , I’m thinking he stalled because it was his weaker side

i doubt he has the mindset of a defender
He's a ball playing defender that's his problem it doesn't work in our league you have to be solid and physically strong especially in the air and in the tackle he doesn't possess those qualities his anticipation of danger and general awareness is awful.

Honestly he looks so out of his comfort zone and it shows seen plenty of mediocre English defenders like him who have been told to be ball players instead of actually defenders especially over the last 10 years.

It has to be Goldson/Balogun until Helander returns no excuses and no more rotation I'm sick of it.

Last edited:
He makes Duffy look like Baresi, no point persevering with this guy, he's never going to cut it.

I'd play either of Patterson or Bassey alongside Goldson before Simpson.

Katic back at NY, Simpson to anywhere but Ibrox.

Seriously, are you just trolling now? He could have tackled the boy. He was a yard outside the box. Even giving away a free kick would have been better than just letting him waltz by him
I'm trolling because you are talking nonsense saying he 'shat it'? Aye, ok :D

He made the wrong decision, hardly means he shat it to tackle him.

Doesn't matter if he's Franz Beckenbauer in training. You win no points in training. Every single game he's played he's been garbage. That's a fact.
That is not a fact and really far from the facts. His game against them last season he did alright.

You need to give the lad a chance. You probably wanted DelBoy as our manager as well...

New whipping boy

We never drew yesterday because of Simpson.

We drew because the team selection was wrong, the team was dug meat inside their penalty box. The changes were too late and wrong.

Changes should have been made before they scored their goal,

None of the back 4, or even Davis, covered themselves in glory for that goal, but if we are looking to blame anyone it’s Tav, he should never be giving the guy time to bring down a 40 yard floated pass on his chest, get turned inside out, what kind of challenge even was that ? It wrongfooted the rest of the defence as a result no one was in position, Simpson could’ve done better Goldson just like Malmö away knocks it in to danger, Barisic is sleeping.

Watch it again Simpson initially has a man, the goal scorer, but then has to step across to the midfield runner as Tav has sold himself and Davis chucked it, not matching the run.
Stepped across and then stepped out of the way. Tavernier should have bundled the guy over the touchline rather than watch him take it down on his chest. Terrible defending all round.

I'm trolling because you are talking nonsense saying he 'shat it'? Aye, ok :D

He made the wrong decision, hardly means he shat it to tackle him.
What a great thread, it’s so original to start a player bashing thread. So far in 24 hours we’ve slaughtered Borna, Tav, Goldson Wright and others
We’re the most Loyal support when it comes to cash and truly pig ignorant when it comes to rationality

What a great thread, it’s so original to start a player bashing thread. So far in 24 hours we’ve slaughtered Borna, Tav, Goldson Wright and others
We’re the most Loyal support when it comes to cash and truly pig ignorant when it comes to rationality
You must be a troll if you aren't on board with it. :D

You can pretty much get an idea of a player by the comments from fans of his former team when they leave.

Charlton fans were gutted to lose Aribo for example.
Oldham fans were gutted to lose Edmundson as a comparison.

Bournemouth fans were at best bemused when we signed Simpson, at worst simply laughing.

I have watched Rangers for 30 years.

I like to think I have a good eye for a player, especially a CB.

A Rangers CB can come in many shapes and forms. The non negotiable however is Strong, Determined, Dominant made of real steel.

Gough, Amoruso, Moore, Andrews, Weir, Cuellar, Bougherra, Goldson. All very different but they were/are a real Rangers centre half.

Jack Simpson looks a boy in a man's world any time I see him. He loses duals on the ground and in the air. He is caught out positionally at least once each time he has been on the pitch. Unless there is a Drastic change, he just simply is not good enough to play as a CB for Rangers FC

Just rewatched Motherwell goal for the first time. I genuinely believe Simpson should never play for us again. Horrible positioning and a total shitebag challenge. Embarrassing for a professional footballer. Stick a youth player in instead.

If we don’t have a youth player that can come in and do better than that we might as well not bother with a youth team

Even when the team has won Simpson has always looked levels below what is needed

Back