Jack Simpson

He makes Duffy look like Baresi, no point persevering with this guy, he's never going to cut it.

I'd play either of Patterson or Bassey alongside Goldson before Simpson.

Katic back at NY, Simpson to anywhere but Ibrox.
I wouldn't play Patterson or Bassey in central defence don't think it's a wise decision.

With regards to our options we should have signed a quality defender to complement Goldson/Helander/Balogun this summer.

Edmundson is permanently gone.

Katic I can't see a way back for him even if his loan is successful think his career with us was effectively on the line just before his knee injury.

Simpson shouldn't have been signed to be given a 4 year plus deal is absolutely criminal by Ross Wilson.

I think he has potential, but that he would benefit from a very intensive and sustained dose of "barbell medicine". Time for him to get to work if he wants to make it at Rangers.

I have watched Rangers for 30 years.

I like to think I have a good eye for a player, especially a CB.

A Rangers CB can come in many shapes and forms. The non negotiable however is Strong, Determined, Dominant made of real steel.

Gough, Amoruso, Moore, Andrews, Weir, Cuellar, Bougherra, Goldson. All very different but they were/are a real Rangers centre half.

Jack Simpson looks a boy in a man's world any time I see him. He loses duals on the ground and in the air. He is caught out positionally at least once each time he has been on the pitch. Unless there is a Drastic change, he just simply is not good enough to play as a CB for Rangers FC
Exactly. He’s at the Karl Svensson level. When he makes Rob Kiernan look good that’s surely a bad sign.

Please tell me you’re not trying to build a case for his defence?

From time to time, it’s ok just to call it out. He’s poor. He’s weak - weak in the tackle, weak in the air, poor positional sense. Just a poor defender.

He has been schooled by Eddie Howe and it’s very apparent and obvious.
I don’t like to criticise our players, with very few exceptions I have always backed and respected every player to wear our shirt.
I defended Jack the other day saying he had yet to play in a losing Rangers side, which to be fair he still hasn’t.
However that is down to the players alongside him as opposed to his own talent.
I think it’s fair to say that had he signed for the other mhob, we as a support wouldn’t have batted an eyelid. I’d loan him out in January, bring back Nico

Simpson gets caught in two minds. Makes a mistake. Considering he is playing his second game of the season not unexpected he will not be totally match sharp. That goal was Tav didn’t deal with a simple ball. Simpson did some other things pretty well. He needs some time. Getting in his back won’t help. I have doubts as well but am not seeing him train every day. Gerrard is and knew that Hellander and Balogan had injury issues. He still thought Simpson a better option than Edmundson or Katic

Roofe made a number of bad decisions in the Motherwell box as did Aribo, Davis, Sakala and Kamara. No threads on them. If they had converted one of the chances they created we wouldn’t be having the conversation.

I’d take your point if this was a one off mistake NHG, but, firstly, he’s made a lot in other games and, secondly, his overall performance in this match was very poor.

He was bullied by Watt, yes Tony Watt, throughout the match, he almost caused the early goal for them, he made a number of rash fouls around our box that gave them free kicks in dangerous areas too, that brought pressure on us.

You can pretty much get an idea of a player by the comments from fans of his former team when they leave.

Charlton fans were gutted to lose Aribo for example.
Oldham fans were gutted to lose Edmundson as a comparison.

Bournemouth fans were at best bemused when we signed Simpson, at worst simply laughing.
20 games in 6 years tells a story.

To me lacks the physicality a centre back should have. Not bad on the ball when he has time but defensively poor. His positioning needs worked on as shown with the Motherwell goal, not aware at all.

A poor Start to his Rangers career, up to him to improve.

That is not a fact and really far from the facts. His game against them last season he did alright.

You need to give the lad a chance. You probably wanted DelBoy as our manager as well...

His performance against the filth is becoming another ricky foster against valencia performance that gets better every time its mentioned.

He lost the initial header from the corner for the goal we conceded then they walked by him twice in the second half for right good chances, if that's doing alright your expectations are far lower than mine.

He looked frightened at times on Sunday.
For what it's worth, tonight is first time I've saw the goal back and the whole back four were absolutely pathetic in that sequence of events leading up to the goal, Simpson being the worst.

Check the various clips of the goal online. He basically moved out of the way as the Motherwell player was bursting forward towards the box. See the link at post 514 above.

Ridiculous, that is our captain too, firstly shouldn’t have let him chest it down, but to not even put in a challenge, it should have had the Benny Hill music, meaning both our central defenders are having to leave their man and out of position to cover for a right back who generally isn’t in his position when we concede.

To be fair Davis could have bailed him out too if only he tracked his man.

I've said on here previously that we should have signed a CB on loan until the end of the season last January for cover.

Instead, we gave Simpson a four and a half year contact and now we're stuck with him.

In the summer, we should have been looking to sign another quality CB to challenge Goldson and Helander and have Balogun as a fourth choice.

Players can get off to a slow start so I'll try to remain positive.

However, I find giving the likes of Simpson and Wright 4-year contracts slightly bemusing. Our problem has often been bloated squads and being unable to move players on due to contracts/salaries.

Are we really thinking that neither player would have come without such lengthy contracts?

We'll end up paying them off.

From what I've seen so far he doesn't look good enough for us.
However SG must see something in him so I reckon he will get many appearances this season. If he isn't doing it by the end of the season I think he will be punted. Good luck to him.

I wouldn’t want him in the centre of our defence in an old firm game. Not on his showings so far, but there’s time to improve, that’s for sure.

The chances of Balogun staying injury free from now until December are slim to none so he's going to have to play.

Play Balogun every week and he'll break down and then it'll be Simpson permanently.

It was no coincidence Helander brown down playing his 3rd game in 7 days. He just can't manage that and Balogun is the same.

Only other option is Bassey or one of the youths and I get the feeling Gerrard will be reluctant to do that.

He played in the 4-1 game last season probably his only decent showing in a Rangers jersey.
I’m not sure how pressed he was in that game but he got beat to a header for their goal I’m sure. Having said that, I’m definitely not writing him off but he does have a lot to prove. Hopefully he does that

He’s physically weak kept being nudged off the ball and doesn’t move quickly enough or have that desire to defend its all really half hearted.

Folk will have their say and say he’s not had much time but trust your eyes he is not Rangers standard and has been a real backwards step in terms of quality.

Players can get off to a slow start so I'll try to remain positive.

However, I find giving the likes of Simpson and Wright 4-year contracts slightly bemusing. Our problem has often been bloated squads and being unable to move players on due to contracts/salaries.

Are we really thinking that neither player would have come without such lengthy contracts?

We'll end up paying them off.
We are taking short cuts in our recruitment that's been blatantly obvious over the course of the January/Summer transfer windows.

Ross Wilson certainly isn't justifying his position imo.

Other than Roofe there hasn't been one player signed who has walked straight into our team that says a lot for me.

Not convinced (at this time)with Simpson.

We have plenty of options that don't need us gambling with a project player every second week. Develop him by all means via sub appearances or protected appearances but don't pin our league season hopes on him in a back 4.

1:
Tav, Goldson, Balogun, Barasic

2:
Tav, Goldson, Bassey, Barasic

3:
Tav, Goldson, Barasic, Bassey

4:
____Paterson, Goldson, Barasic____
Tav_______________________Bassey

5:
____Paterson, Goldson, Balogun____
Tav_______________________Bassey

6:
____Paterson, Goldson, Balogun____
Tav_______________________Barasic

7:
_________Tav, Goldson, Balogun____
Paterson_______________________Bassey

8:
_________Tav, Goldson, Balogun____
Paterson_______________________Barasic

We have options. Plenty of them.
Simpson might even work in a back 3 with sufficient experienced support round about him.

8:
_________Balogun, Goldson, Simpson____
Tav________________________________Barasic

You can pretty much get an idea of a player by the comments from fans of his former team when they leave.

Charlton fans were gutted to lose Aribo for example.
Oldham fans were gutted to lose Edmundson as a comparison.

Bournemouth fans were at best bemused when we signed Simpson, at worst simply laughing.
I can vouch for that. I thought it was a bit strange at the time. The problem he has is confidence ( in my opinion). At Bournemouth he got better with a run of games. I don't think he will get that or whether he would be good enough anyway.

I was was for giving Simpson a chance, but I'm not as convinced of that now. He has got to do better.

Hes not good enough and our games are too important to let him try and learn on the job.

Is mcclelland or King a better option? Id be worried for them both if they are not deemed capable conpared with simpsons showings since he joined club

Given Balogun’s apparent fitness concerns with not being able to play 2 games a week, we’re not far off Simpson being our second choice centre back (rotated with Balogun) until Helander’s back.

It’s a massive concern. He looks exactly like a centre back whose been coached by Eddie Howe for the majority of his career.

He looked frightened at times on Sunday.
For what it's worth, tonight is first time I've saw the goal back and the whole back four were absolutely pathetic in that sequence of events leading up to the goal, Simpson being the worst.

Good summary, all were varying degrees of abysmal. Barisic looks like he was running through glue. Tavernier skinned way too easy.

I wonder how much he’s on?
I get that many will immediately say stuff like “Too much whatever it is” so no need.
But as a fourth-choice CB with no pedigree when signed, I expect its relative buttons. My point is he looks like he was signed as cover, I doubt he was actually expected to play much or often, but was signed at a time when the club were furious with Edmundson and Katic was going to be out long term so we either had to promote a youth or sign a cheapo cover. So whilst I’m not at all impressed by his performances, I’ll view it in that light.

Cannot believe the football department thought getting rid of Katic & Edmundson (two players who I don’t rate highly) and keeping Simpson was a good idea.

Crazy.

I wonder how much he’s on?
I get that many will immediately say stuff like “Too much whatever it is” so no need.
But as a fourth-choice CB with no pedigree when signed, I expect its relative buttons. My point is he looks like he was signed as cover, I doubt he was actually expected to play much or often, but was signed at a time when the club were furious with Edmundson and Katic was going to be out long term so we either had to promote a youth or sign a cheapo cover. So whilst I’m not at all impressed by his performances, I’ll view it in that light.
When you have 4 CB's, two of which seemingly have long standing injuries then I can't agree with this point. What we have now is one of our CB's out for god knows and Balogun unable to play as often as we need, the fourth choice was always going to see serious game time this year.

I think we have made a massive error.

Good summary, all were varying degrees of abysmal. Barisic looks like he was running through glue. Tavernier skinned way too easy.
Aye mate, Was shocked when I saw it back on the tv. Every one of the back four had an opportunity to do something they ranged from half hearted to nothing, absolutely no attempt. I hope they feel the same when watching it back as I do !

It's obvious that 99.9% of posters on here think that Simpson is simply nowhere near good enough. None of us know more than Stevie G about football but that doesn't mean we're not right about this. What is the process for the fans letting the manager know what we think?

Even if he ignores it he should be aware that when 50,000 people at a game all disagree with you then you just may have got it wrong. There must be some way of getting that message across.
Or maybe he sees him in training every day whereas the fans don’t

Watched the game back this morning, and he was worse than I thought at the game live.. Bullied the entire game by Watt and the goalscorer for Motherwell. On the ball, he looked terrified and tried a few cross field passes which never came off.... struggling to see exactly what he brings to the squad never mind the 1st 11.

He is Dom Ball / Rob Kiernan level.

The goal conceded summed up our back 4 IMO.... 4 defenders and not one of them is aggressive enough. Tav should have been on top of the full back as soon as he brings it down but he just stands off.... Barasic looks like he was in another world.... so far off the pace it’s unreal.

One other observation from watching it back, Tav pumped in 14 crosses during the game, each one of them was overhit or never got past the 1st man. We really need to change tactics.... this going wide is causing so many of our issues.

It's really not difficult to understand why Katic left on loan
I’d rather be playing Katic in friendlys/B games to get him fit than have to rely on Simpson.

McClelland should now be in for a shout ahead of Simpson as he has shown us absolutely nothing.

You cant always find a gem in the bargain bin we should only be strengthening our team with quality I would rather have two quality players than four gambles every season.

I can actually remember watching Edmundson bud, that might have worked on someone who had forgot watching him.
He had an excellent game away at Braga but some less than excellent performances in other games.

His physique probably got him more patience than his actual ability.

I’d still have him before Simpson every day of the week but there is certainly some re-writing of history going on.

Back