Ross McCrorie

scratcher_77

I know hindsight is a wonderful thing but would we have been better keeping hold of McCrorie instead of signing Jack Simpson? I have tried to defend Simpson on here and I know Gerrard see's him as a project player but I just don't see anything to suggest that he is a standard above what we've had in recent years.
They are of similar age but I just think as a product of our academy and also being Scottish, McCrorie may have been a better option to have around. Thoughts?

EDIT:
I'm not suggesting that we SHOULD have kept McCrorie, apologies if that's how my OP comes across. My thoughts were based on the fact that Simpson is of similar age and he's been no better than what McCrorie was.

Last edited:
I know hindsight is a wonderful thing but would we have been better keeping hold of McCrorie instead of signing Jack Simpson? I have tried to defend Simpson on here and I know Gerrard see's him as a project player but I just don't see anything to suggest that he is a standard above what we've had in recent years.
They are of similar age but I just think as a product of our academy and also being Scottish, McCrorie may have been a better option to have around. Thoughts?
2 wrongs don’t make a right

both nowhere good enough

A lot of people would say both Niko and Edmundson are better than Jack Simpson, which may well be true - i certainly hasnt inspired confidence in his game time so far.

McCrorie was a better defensive minded midfielder - his downside was his passing ability wasn't good enough for our level.

McCrorie is garbage. Least he's physical, something Simpson isn't. Wouldn't and don't want either playing for Rangers ever again.

Has McCrorie done anything since leaving to suggest we were wrong to let him go? If he has then I’ve missed it
I don't think so no, sorry if the post reads that way. It was just a thought, that in hindsight, would we have been better to keep him as a backup rather than signing Simpson.
That being said, he may not have wanted to stay if it was made clear he would only be a backup.

Wasn’t popular at the time but McCrorie done nothing since leaving to suggest we made a mistake letting him go, definitely don’t want him back any time soon and especially not to play centre half.

He's come in for a lot of criticism in an absolutely hopeless Aberdeen side.

He's definitely not the answer for us.

He wasn't a CB as long as he had a hole in his arse.

He was/is a competent stopper of a midfielder who can stop others playing but ultimately his use of the ball was a miles away from where it needs to be to play for us.
Correct RM put out fires, never a CB

I don't think so no, sorry if the post reads that way. It was just a thought, that in hindsight, would we have been better to keep him as a backup rather than signing Simpson.
That being said, he may not have wanted to stay if it was made clear he would only be a backup.

Fair enough. I’d still say no though, he had some big gaffs playing CB. The reality is we should have just went out and found a more competent player than Simpson, which really shouldn’t have been hard

Marge Simpson would be a better option to have around at the moment , but I wouldn't sign her based on that.
Mcrorie wasn't good enough and doesn't look any better in that Aberdeen side currently.
Added to that He barely cut it at Portsmouth when he went out on loan there in league one.
It was the correct decision to let him go in my opinion.

Why would you want to play a guy that plays midfield in defence?

EDIT: Sorry did not realise he has played the last few games at the back. Not won any in the last 7 games.

McCrorie looked mediocre at best at CB when he was competing against guys like Bates and Martin for a spot.

I get the reason for all the negativity as the team have been miles off it, but lets take a few deep breaths.

McCrorie hasn't looked great since his move

Are we allowed to say Simpson is mince now, quite a few of us got slated for it not too long ago. I keep seeing that hes a project player, hes 24, come on now. Im not saying he was the long term solution but Edmunson is a much better defender.

A lot of people would say both Niko and Edmundson are better than Jack Simpson, which may well be true - i certainly hasnt inspired confidence in his game time so far.

McCrorie was a better defensive minded midfielder - his downside was his passing ability wasn't good enough for our level.
Edmundson was far more assured than Jack Simpson on the evidence we have had so far.
McCrorie was not chased out as some seem to suggest on here, it was McCrorie who wanted first-team football and felt he had to move on to get it.

Last edited:
I understand folk wanting Katic back but there's every chance he could break down after being out for so long if we ended up, as it appears we now would have to, play him twice a week. Simpson doesn't seem to be the answer and it is concerning.

Neither are good enough, Niko needs to get gradual game time, and Edmundson was better than both of them.
Edmundson also looked very shaky in the opening league games after a very composed and assured preseason where he looked great. He's playing League 1 for a reason, not saying Simpson is ever the answer but the drop off from our first pick 3 is huge to anyone past and present

Was never convinced by McRorie in defence, though did think he had some potential as a defensive midfielder.

Not really convinced by Simpson in defence, but I've never been convinced Katic is the answer either. Happy with Balogun and Goldson, but we really do need some better cover with Helander being out long term.

This thread made me wonder what happened to that lad Bates who I thought looked good before he refused to sign a new contract and went to Germany. Going by his wikipedia page he's been a bit unlucky with injuries and signed for Aberdeen in the summer to try to revive his career.

If he was as good as some seem to think he’d be a stand out in that Aberdeen team. He’s not and we’re only talking about having him around to cover injury. Let him go!

No we should have kept Katic and put Simpson out on loan.
Loaning Katic out was the best thing for everyone. He was never going to be able to come straight back into a league winning side after more than a year out even more so when he had been dropped prior to his injury.

Simpson should have been loaned out as well to go and play a full season somewhere and another centre half should have been signed.

Are we allowed to say Simpson is mince now, quite a few of us got slated for it not too long ago. I keep seeing that hes a project player, hes 24, come on now. Im not saying he was the long term solution but Edmunson is a much better defender.
I don't think Edmunson was any better, but we are now all agreeing that Simpson is not up the mark, and has been given a fair few chances now.

Katic before injury was unarguably a better player.

But.. the crazy thing at the weekend was Balogun was sitting in the bench.. why? If he needed rested the was mid week cup game to do that

Put it this way, the fact he gets a first team start of Paterson is an absolute disgrace

Last edited:
Well, he’s certainly proving you right with his performances at Aberdeen.

Back