Trophies or wages?

What would be most important to you as a footballer?

• Decent wage with chance of trophies

• No chance of trophies but double the wage

Results are only viewable after voting.

GreenockRanger

With some players thinking of not signing a contract these days, what would be your thinking in the situation. Doesn't need to be Rangers you sign for as we all know the answer. Must be a hard decision for some players, secure there familys future or stay somewhere that they can win trophies and become a legend.

Not all trophies are equal. Win the league in Qatar 10 times for $1000 a week or come 6th in Scotland for $5000?
Most players have no real love for the clubs they play for.
Why would Goldson and Kamara care about Rangers as much as we do? Not a dig at them just looking at it from their perspective. 10th in the EPL for them is probably a bigger achievement than winning the SPFL again.

There’s a time for both. Look at Steven Davis for instance, went south made his money but played for Rangers twice and won everything available (other than uefa cup final).

I would love to think that if I had been graced with the talent to play for Rangers I would never waiver from moving. I think in reality, if I was truly at the level where I could play top level, I would want to test myself during my peak years. The fact that this option would also come with riches beyond what I would get at Rangers would be a bonus.

I think the English boys especially will be getting bored of playing the teams up here and is probably why goldson hasn’t signed on I would think.

Money. The answer is always money.
Yup, in virtually every case that is the answer. I don't get the regular posts on here about players (from outwith Scotland) coming to us for the chance to win trophies or to play in Europe. They are coming because of the financial rewards on offer and to play at a huge club in terms of prestige and fan attendance.

There is though the odd, notable, exception. Defoe could have earned just as much down South but at that stage - in an illustrious career without trophies - he came to pick up a winners medal. There's not many examples like that though.

It's always much easier to turn down theoretical money than when it is dangling in front of you for real.
If you are a pro say 27 years old with maybe 4 or 5 years left to earn. Rangers offer you 25k a week on a three year contract, Everton offer you 75k. There are no pros that would pick Rangers. A few on here will say they would. I have no doubt they believe it. I have even less doubt they wouldn't if the offer was genuinely in front of them

If you had the chance of winning trophies with the team you supported as a kid then trophies every time.

Otherwise unless it was a trophy with prestige, it's wages for 99.9% of footballers.

Cynically I think 99% of players will move for money. Short career etc. Maybe the odd outlier, or someone who likes to stay at home won’t move.

Depends who I would be playing for really.

I would sacrifice the money to become a Rangers legend and probably still a millionaire anyway but if I was playing in England and Everton offered me double what Liverpool were I would be at Goodison.

2 million a year to play for Chelsea

Or 4 million a year to play in qatar

Chelsea every time
An Arsenal fan playing for Rangers and getting £1m a year gets offered £3m a year to play for West Ham. You think he stays? That's entirely hypothetical before anyone starts trying to guess its one of our players.

2 million a year to play for Chelsea

Or 4 million a year to play in qatar

Chelsea every time
I would take the higher pay if it’s somewhere Western Europe or even the MLS.

If it’s Chelsea for 2 million a year or Sassuolo for 4 million a year then I’m going to Sassuolo.

Birthday cerd pish to those who say trophies.

It's a short career, 10-15 years tops usually. Trophies won't feed your family for the rest of your days.

If the question was say, £100k a week at Chelsea or £200k a week in China then the answer might be different because you'd still be a multi millionaire but still. 9/10, money.

I rarely think players actually support teams as much as fans do, not a massive shock really, majority of kids who reach at a decent level don't really have the time to become emotionally invested in a football team the way your proper fan does.

Cynically I think 99% of players will move for money. Short career etc. Maybe the odd outlier, or someone who likes to stay at home won’t move.

Short career but they probably earn more than we ever will in our working career and still be well off.

Would love to win loads of trophies but making it as a professional footballer at the highest level is incredibly difficult, so it’s an achievement in itself.

Taking Rangers (and Celtic) out the picture, you work to enjoy yourself in your down time and make sure your family are as comfy as possible even after you kick the bucket, so it’s all about the money in that scenario.

In all honesty, it’s impossible to say unless you’re in that position. Especially when you look at the levels involved.

We’d all love to say “aye, I’d take stay in Scotland and compete” but none of us know for certain unless we found ourselves in that situation.

An Arsenal fan playing for Rangers and getting £1m a year gets offered £3m a year to play for West Ham. You think he stays? That's entirely hypothetical before anyone starts trying to guess its one of our players.

Bump that, they move to West Ham. A move to West Ham just offers way way more.

Trophies at rangers

Nothing at West ham.....
No long-standing loyalty to Rangers though - and triple the wages at West Ham. You're a dreamer if you think any 'neutral' player turns down that opportunity. Different for a Rangers fan - perhaps - but even then I suspect not.

No long-standing loyalty to Rangers though - and triple the wages at West ham. You're a dreamer if you think any 'neutral' player turns down that opportunity. Different for a Rangers fan - perhaps - but even then I suspect not.

It's not the difference between me earning 45k and 70k a year.

Their lifestyle won't really change.

A lot will depend on do they like the city. Is their partner happy.

Family ties.. Mates

You play for that mob across the city?
98-EC1665-6-E70-452-A-A1-AC-0-EE2-E105-A2-B0.jpg

It's not the difference between me earning 45k and 70k a year.

Their lifestyle won't really change.

A lot will depend on do they like the city. Is their partner happy.

Family ties.. Mates
You've juggled the figures a bit there - I quoted £1m v £3m.;)

Either way, it comes down to a football player who is, by necessity, a mercenary. They are very rarely 'loyal' to any club - they can't afford to be. Its all about the money and setting yourself up for what's to come. Easy to say it doesn't change your lifestyle if you earn £1m a year or £3m a year but it takes a very strange man to turn down a trippling of salary for doing exactly the same job. By your way of thinking nobody would sign for Brentford, or Everton or, as mentioned, West Ham. Who wants to go play in the shithole that is Newcastle? They do though because it sets them up for life or because it represents the next move up the ladder.

You need to take the Rangers supporter playing for Rangers out of your thinking.

I’m surprised that more players aren’t taking as much money as they can being in the squad at Chelsea, Liverpool, Man City etc before moving to clubs with a decent chance of winning something in a poor league (Rangers or Celtic) or a club with an outside but feasible chance of winning something in a stronger league (Leicester, Tottenham, Arsenal).
Look at Defoe - he was very well paid and went around the EPL for 15yrs or so scoring a heap of goals, but only with a League Cup to show for it. His appreciation and enjoyment at winning a league title last season was refreshing.

I also thought about 20yrs ago that you would have more players just chuck it aged around 28 with tens of millions in the bank and set up with financial planning to keep them & their families in good shape. I thought Anelka would be the first.

You've juggled the figures a bit there - I quoted £1m v £3m.;)

Either way, it comes down to a football player who is, by necessity, a mercenary. They are very rarely 'loyal' to any club - they can't afford to be. Its all about the money and setting yourself up for what's to come. Easy to say it doesn't change your lifestyle if you earn £1m a year or £3m a year but it takes a very strange man to turn down a trippling of salary for doing exactly the same job. By your way of thinking nobody would sign for Brentford, or Everton or, as mentioned, West Ham. Who wants to go play in the shithole that is Newcastle? They do though because it sets them up for life or because it represents the next move up the ladder.

You need to take the Rangers supporter playing for Rangers out of your thinking.

I juggled them to show that the 3 million salary won't be a huge change to lifestyle.

I
Though I should go watch brewsters millions

All depends lets say i was good enough to play for a man city if it was a choice of £50k a week at man city and win leagues & cups and be in the limelight or £500k a week in some backwater league in qatar or china i would take the £50k a week

Depends if I'm playing for Rangers or not. Would accept a wage cut to play for team I love. Trophies don't buy you a retirement and a footballer has a very short career.

Money until I had enough for life and maybe the kids life as well. After that it’s trophy’s and/or a contract at Real, Man City, PSG etc with a treat myself to a final year or two at the famous.

Trophies. (Scotland aside) most pundits have all won something. Chance to earn a career after being a pro footballer

Connor isn’t good enough to play for a big team. Can still double his money down south.
Christie doubled his wages leaving a 60,000 stadium to go to 11,500 one.

Money. A player is a long time retired. It gets to a stage where you can’t turn down doubling, trebling or quadrupling your pay.

Easy for us to sit here and say we'd be all about the trophies when we're not having however many tens of thousands of pounds a week dangled in front of us. The number of players who can regularly win trophies while playing for the club they supported growing up and earning a shitload of money is probably vanishingly small.

Helander seems to be an outlier in all this. He said after the speculation that he loves it here and has no desire to move anywhere when he’s found a place he’s settled and in love with.

Back