Goldson - what’s going on with him?

Scaramanga

Does he want away? Is he just going through the motions until an offer comes from elsewhere? Does he already know an offer is coming? I suppose only he, his agent and the gaffer will know. But one things for sure, his form (or lack thereof) is a huge concern, particularly with Helander injured and Simpson looking like a Scottish Championship level defender.

If we’re being honest, most of our squad are well off last season’s standards, but the decline in Goldson’s performances had been colossal thus far. From being (imo) the standout player in the league, to looking like an absolute calamity with keystone cops stuff at the back. One thing that was particularly frustrating today was his insistence on trying to blame his team mates for his own shortcomings. Given the sharp decline in performance levels and the contract issue, this is surely more than a simple case of a player out of form?

Does he want away? Is he just going through the motions until an offer comes from elsewhere? Does he already know an offer is coming? I suppose only he, his agent and the gaffer will know. But one things for sure, his form (or lack thereof) is a huge concern, particularly with Helander injured and Simpson looking like a Scottish Championship level defender.

If we’re being honest, most of our squad are well off last season’s standards, but the decline in Goldson’s performances had been colossal thus far. From being (imo) the standout player in the league, to looking like an absolute calamity with keystone cops stuff at the back. One thing that was particularly frustrating today was his insistence on trying to blame his team mates for his own shortcomings. Given the sharp decline in performance levels and the contract issue, this is surely more than a simple case of a player out of form?
Never seen so many clowns since the last time I was at the circus

I think its been a ‘thing’ since they have been a partnership.
If one is off the boil it makes the other look bad.
Last season they were both at it the full season.

Sometimes you look for reasons. Sometimes there are none. Thats football. We go again next week for another 3 points.

Wouldn’t matter even if all our defenders were fit and firing, Goldson will never be dropped for anything other than an injury.
Yip, and that's a huge problem. Relied on him for too much that when hes now unavailable or out of form we have no one there to step in.

I am not going to start giving the guy it tight. But if Goldson still hasn't committed to the club by January window then I would rather he was sold.

You don't win titles with players who aren't 100 percent focused. I believe Goldson isn't 100 percent focused and that's why his level has dropped.

No muck slinging or the likes. Just my opinion.

I said in the match thread that the impression I get from him is that he wants to do everything while looking as calm and comfortable as possible but often up here that simply isn't possible.

He needs to learn how to go and dominate a high ball and stop letting it bounce. There's no shame in thumping a header out for a thrown in. I might be wrong but I remember when Kenny Miller scored for Dundee against us it was almost a carbon copy of the penalty today. High ball that Goldson wont challenge for and suddenly he's chasing a striker who's through on goal.

Edit: Just re-watched that goal and it was Worral who got caught underneath but Goldson came across to clear and made an arse of that

Guy wants away, and his head is in England. Doesn't bode well for the future, if his head is away, and he's the vice captain.

I think it's complacency. We now think we are better than we are and the drive, desire, commitment to run through brick walls has diminished.

When that ball was played, and the way he shaped up for it, the resulting penalty was never in doubt.

We think we can stroll games and it is not the case. In saying that, the entire team need to re-focus.

He reminds me of the way he was two seasons ago. He'd make a mistake and it would spread right through the team.

This season it’s been back to the Goldson of old. Last season was by far his best season and it appeared he had cut out the brain farts that he had the previous season. The same can be said about Tav but remember there are plenty on here who just won’t allow either players to be fairly criticised because of the inabilities in their games.

Have a feeling the tide is turning on Goldson due to his contract situation. Patterson deserves a run of games in the team.

He was arguably our best player last week and close to our worst today.
But you can see and hear the fans have it in for him.
Watch him celebrate with Helander after the OF goal and tell me he doesn't care.

Bottom line we can't handle a player who doesn't sign a contract....

He needs a rest or dropped. Thing is we have no one fit to replace him. Tav as well was shocking today.
Agree, goldson looked suspect to a long ball over thd top and Tav was skinned several times to let Dundee in behind.
Every throw or corner was so nervy to watch!

Right side of defence was poor again today. Tav and Goldson deserve our respect. However they also need to sharpen their performance levels, otherwise teams are going to target them. With Big Phil out, we have to keep Goldson in, however Tav could be dropped IMO.

Back