Morelos current form

nateman

Anyone else think we aren't getting enough out of the wee man these days? His start to the season actually reminds me of the first half of last season. Don't know how much of it is down to his pre season & involvement in the Copa America but I'd be tempted to take him out of the starting lineup for a wee bit and give Sakala a run.

Actually thought he was sensational in his new role for the 2nd half of last season, so don't buy that as the reason for his downturn in form this season.

Just think he's largely quiet, bordering on anonymous in a lot of games right now and isn't bullying defenders anywhere near as much as he normally does.

I think it’s more that others are not playing well around him. He lays the ball off, wins free kicks, plays wide etc but others must do more. He did again on Saturday one of his old failings however in the first half when he telegraphed getting his shot away. He winds up his shot so much at times that defenders slide in and block. Also others are taking the role he used to take such as Roofe. It’s more a tactical thing and performance of the whole team than Alfie himself.

The team is collectively trying to find form and he's no different. Like most of the side he has shown flashes but not consistent enough.

I do think the forwards form is putting pressure on the defence though because we're really not firing.

I’m not concerned with his numbers just his lack of involvement at times but that could go for 3 of the front 3

Like I said above, for me Roofe looks like scoring any domestic game we play. In the games he hasn’t scored like Motherwell and Dundee recently, he’s at the very least tested the keeper.

I get he could be doing better but every single player in the squad could have that aimed at them this season, not just Roofe and Morelos.

Morelos used to rag doll defenders, bully entire back lines by himself and be hungry for goals. Now he just stoats about looking huffy.

I know he had a different role last season but if we want to maximise profit for him, we need to get the 19/20 Morelos back.
This, all day long.

Also worth remembering he’s been carrying an injury for the last few games.

Anyone else think we aren't getting enough out of the wee man these days? His start to the season actually reminds me of the first half of last season. Don't know how much of it is down to his pre season & involvement in the Copa America but I'd be tempted to take him out of the starting lineup for a wee bit and give Sakala a run.

Actually thought he was sensational in his new role for the 2nd half of last season, so don't buy that as the reason for his downturn in form this season.

Just think he's largely quiet, bordering on anonymous in a lot of games right now and isn't bullying defenders anywhere near as much as he normally does.

Hate to say it but Alfie's just not doing it. I know strikers need service but good strikers create space for themselves.

Lille offered £16m last year.

Right now, if there was a window available I think we'd struggle to attract bids over £10m.

That's how the market views his form, particularly since 2019.

The board have been holding out for unrealistic figures for him. And they are never going to get that.
No. It's how you view it?
You've picked a figure out the air.
And told us that is what the football market thinks?
Don't get it.

The defence has been coming in for a bit of stick - but our players in the final third have been making far, far more mistakes. And Morelos has to be included in that.

Lille offered £16m last year.

Right now, if there was a window available I think we'd struggle to attract bids over £10m.

That's how the market views his form, particularly since 2019.

The board have been holding out for unrealistic figures for him. And they are never going to get that.
If Lille offered 16m how does the market see him at 10m bud?

His physique has changed a lot since 2019. Back then he had the strength but also the stamina and sharpness. He was way more trim. I think that plays a big part in all honesty. The talent is still there as his assist on Saturday shows.

If Lille offered 16m how does the market see him at 10m bud?
I'm just saying that i'd be quietly confident that we would struggle to sell for much more than £10m. Hence I feel - just my opinion bud - that the demand for the player these days is not what it was, therefore the value will reflect that.

He's playing a different role to that of 19/20 when he scored for fun up until about Christmas. His link-up play has definitely improved and his range of passing seems to be getting better all the time as well. It worked a treat last season as we weren't so reliant on his individual goals. I still think he (like the vast majority of the squad) have another gear or two to go up, but I'm taking nothing away from his excellent assist on Saturday. Came up trumps in a tight game and earned us the three points.

Morelos is playing the role that Gerrard is asking him to play, and doing it well.

Perhaps that's not the role that some think he should be playing but that's not Alfie's fault.

He's playing a different role to that of 19/20 when he scored for fun up until about Christmas. His link-up play has definitely improved and his range of passing seems to be getting better all the time as well. It worked a treat last season as we weren't so reliant on his individual goals. I still think he (like the vast majority of the squad) have another gear or two to go up, but I'm taking nothing away from his excellent assist on Saturday. Came up trumps in a tight game and earned us the three points.

That's all well and good, but who's scoring our goals?

Morelos didn't earn us the three points, Aribo still has to put the ball in the net and then Mclaughlin saves a penalty or there's no three points.

Last edited:
My opinion that the ceiling figure for Morelos right now would be no more than £10m. You feel different then?
8 feel different.
And you've told us because you think it.
It's what clubs worldwide think.
What football experience gives you the ability to speak for world football?

Appreciate we can only pish with the cock we have meantime but unless we two narrow up top can't play roofe and Morelos in the same team, IMO

Yeah I think I’ll give Roofe, Morelos and Sakala a break here. If they were passing up golden chances every week fair enough but we’re not really creating the same number of clear cut scoring chances this season. Convenient to just lay blame at the door of the strikers rather than look at the supply line’s shortcomings.

Agree with alot of the comments on here about some of his performances this season being good in relation to using the ball well, link up play and distribution to the wings .......however his number one job I would assume is to score goals. So I'd like to see a bit more from him. I think he's looking sluggish and has been sharper in the past but at least he's not back in the form of post winter break 2019-20.....that was an abysmal run for him then. Fingers crossed he starts scoring along with the team overall performing better. It might just be the team needing to perform better and he will naturally find the net more often form increased chances

He’s scored 5 goals in 9 games this season. Not a bad return.
His return has been fantastic.

His touch and passing are really poor though. Also incredibly slow.

For me I’d have him as a central striker and not involve him in the build up, just have him between the width of the goal posts.

Back