Morelos current form

Morelos used to rag doll defenders, bully entire back lines by himself and be hungry for goals. Now he just stoats about looking huffy.

I know he had a different role last season but if we want to maximise profit for him, we need to get the 19/20 Morelos back.
We’ve knocked the aggression out of him. To have old Alfie we need to accept he would get the odd red card, though as we have seen Alfie was treated completely different from others.

We’ve knocked the aggression out of him. To have old Alfie we need to accept he would get the odd red card, though as we have seen Alfie was treated completely different from others.
I’d take three red cards a season to have the old Alfie back who led the line like a beast and ragdolled teams like Porto and feyenoord. He’s also better without Roofe annoying him and getting in his way

The Buf’s link up play has been good, I’m liking his 1 touch lay offs. I understand he’s playing a deeper role the last year or so & he’s contributing loads to the team.

Obviously we want more not just from him but all the players. Does any player get pass marks so far this season? I think there’s big room for improvement in every player/ department.

I think the goals will come & he will have 20+ goals again this season with assists to add to his figures.

I don’t like us without the Buf…we arn’t as nearly affective.

The comparison with edouard could go round the houses debating that but what I’d would say is that to increase Morelos value he should’ve been always taking the penalties to get his goal scoring record up lift his scoring stats / improving his finishing / boost confidence levels (& generate us a bigger fee when he is sold)

giphy.gif

Why is Tav a better penalty striker of the ball when he shat out from taking the last one and Roofe buried it.
What a leap that is.
Roofe missed a very important penalty last season.
Morelos an even more important one the year before.
Each time, it’s been Tavernier who stepped up after this to take the flak for his next miss.
He must have really been bricking it.

I’d take three red cards a season to have the old Alfie back who led the line like a beast and ragdolled teams like Porto and feyenoord. He’s also better without Roofe annoying him and getting in his way
Any idea how many games he'd be suspended for?
Totally agree with the point on Roofe though.

Play the 3 of them.
Hagi Aribo and Kamara in behind.
Borna and Tav to be a bit more disciplined.
Especially at home.

Open the game up!
If that means not getting forward as much, it’s a definite “no” from me.
You’re undoubtedly removing a proven major attacking threat from us.
For me, the simple answer is Morelos or Roofe.
This is what has brought us most success.

Don’t think that’ll be a popular take mate, but, I don’t think you’re wrong. It’s not that Roofe and Morelos together are bad, but honesty Roofe being there does seem stop Morelos from playing his absolute best stuff. He’s always worked far better as a lone striker leading the attack. It’s a conundrum though because on form Roofe is brilliant too.

On mistakes, I guess I am meaning sloppiness, poor movement, poor ball control, losing possession, not troubling the keeper, weak shooting, lack of composure etc.

We have seen loads of this this season from our players in the final third.

That is far more of a concern to me than any defensive issues we may have mate.
I guess you don’t agree with “keeping the back door closed*” or don’t los goals, you don’t lose games“ cliche Souness buying Woods and Butcher etc. upon signing?

*keep it to the football!

I think he offers more playing a deeper role.
He is a lot more involved in the games and not waiting for the through ball.
If he never scores again but continues with the fantastic link up play I will be very happy.

His assist v Dundee was sublime and if it had been Messi played that ball the press would still be creaming their panties.
We do love a bit of over egging, don’t we.
Seems it’s been the best pass since Scott Allan against us.

I guess you don’t agree with “keeping the back door closed*” or don’t los goals, you don’t lose games“ cliche Souness buying Woods and Butcher etc. upon signing?

*keep it to the football!

I maintain - our play in the final third is a far bigger concern to me than our defence.

i think the issue is linking midfield to our forwards hence why morelos ends up back at the half way line

the same goes for roofe as well

If that means not getting forward as much, it’s a definite “no” from me.
You’re undoubtedly removing a proven major attacking threat from us.
For me, the simple answer is Morelos or Roofe.
This is what has brought us most success.
Can understand your thinking.
But my thinking is similar to the notion of the "play Tav in midfield to give Patterson a game" thought.
If you play Tav in midfield he'd be good, but a better midfielder although "not as good" player would need to sit out.
Whenever Tav and Borna are both up field a more attacking player has to be covering them.

I'm not saying they don't get forward.
Just that when Borna is firing in a cross to the back post, it's a striker or midfielder who is trying to meet it at the back stick while Tav is nearer the half way line.

I personally think it would make us a better team, it's certainly worth thought if nothing else.

As a support we have this tendency to single out individual players when things aren't going so well, although being top of the league isn't as bad as some are making out.

The issue isn't solely Morelos, Kent, Goldson or Tav.

As a collective we haven't been firing this season, and that is having an impact on individual players performance and confidence.

Still winning though, so until that stops I won't get too worried.

Lille offered £16m last year.

Right now, if there was a window available I think we'd struggle to attract bids over £10m.

That's how the market views his form, particularly since 2019.

The board have been holding out for unrealistic figures for him. And they are never going to get that.
The reality

Haven’t read the full thread but no doubt someone has claimed you’re a Morelos hater. It’s usually the go to phrase when anyone dares to validly criticise him

Truth is the full team have been rotten this season aside from a couple of players. Morelos at the weekend provided an assist but his all round performance was abysmal.

Work rate highly questionable, didn’t seem up for a battle until their centre half went through the back of him in the second half.

Overall this season he, and most of the team, have been garbage

The comparison with edouard could go round the houses debating that but what I’d would say is that to increase Morelos value he should’ve been always taking the penalties to get his goal scoring record up lift his scoring stats / improving his finishing / boost confidence levels (& generate us a bigger fee when he is sold)

And if your argument is Tav is better striker of the ball from penalty spot then I would say why haven’t rangers coached Morelos to improve his finishing to get him to be the first choice penalty taker?

i would have to go along with Kris Boyd, the main man striker should be demanding the penalties to build up the goals tally

what will be interesting when Morelos goes is whether we persist in the same formation / just try and get another player to do that role,

I’d have liked to have seen change in formation to see if roofe and Itten as a 9 & 10 playing centrally with Kent free role how that would’ve worked
Morelos isn’t a penalty taker, we seen that in the league cup final

He also doesn’t appear to be a good striker of a dead ball. He’s instinctive with finishes. Often when he gets too much time to think about it, his shots end up being fluffed

He also doesn’t appear to be a good striker of a dead ball. He’s instinctive with finishes. Often when he gets too much time to think about it, his shots end up being fluffed
Which begs the question, why haven’t we seen any great improvements in his finishing the last years?

You would hope defoe is coaching him / the other forwards and he’s doing a lot more practise

Far better players than Morelos have missed penalties, some of those players have failed to even hit the target. Unless there’s a decent sample size you can’t really say that. But of course you would say that with a sample size of about 2.

Morelos and Roofe partnerships just not working.
It’s not really a partnership with roofe stuck out wide

Unfortunately the whole team formation is set up in one way to maximise Morelos, other players are being asked to fill in positions, that can be excused when Morelos is on fire, but the team is sacrificing more than we’re getting back

It’s rather frustrating that a change of formation hasn’t been looked at to bring the best out of roofe / sakala (& as I said Itten was maybe due a trial of games alongside a striking partner to see if he had a future rather than some minutes here and there uo too himself / or played out wide

Still playing the same pattern of football , it’s no surprise the other teams have adjusted to combat us

It’s not really a partnership with roofe stuck out wide

Unfortunately the whole team formation is set up in one way to maximise Morelos, other players are being asked to fill in positions, that can be excused when Morelos is on fire, but the team is sacrificing more than we’re getting back

It’s rather frustrating that a change of formation hasn’t been looked at to bring the best out of roofe / sakala
If it’s all set up to help Morelos why is he playing a deeper role different to the one he was in when he was scoring significantly more goals.

And Roofe stuck out wide? You’ve been watching different games from me bud.

If it’s all set up to help Morelos why is he playing a deeper role different to the one he was in when he was scoring significantly more goals.

And Roofe stuck out wide? You’ve been watching different games from me bud.
Well either the player himself wants to drop deep or it’s managers orders as he wants to create space , which then needs more willing runners from midfield to get into the box

Maybe I have then, it’s certainly not working with roofe and Morelos / doesn’t look like a 9 and 10 setup to me

Well either the player himself wants to drop deep or it’s managers orders as he wants to create space , which then needs more willing runners from midfield to get into the box

Maybe I have then, it’s certainly not working with roofe and Morelos / doesn’t look like a 9 and 10 setup to me

It’ll be managers orders. Gerrard won’t stand for players just going off and doing their own thing. The team used to be set up to maximise Moreles’s ability back when we were a lesser side. That’s not how it is now, it’s the opposite, his role has been modified in a way which doesn’t help his goal numbers but where we can be a stronger unit overall.

I maintain - our play in the final third is a far bigger concern to me than our defence.

All this guff about Alfie being a great 'link up' and team player is just that, guff. He's a shadow of the player he was and he better start upping the "intensity" or we're in for a long long season.

It doesnt help that our build up play is so slow we end up facing packed defences every week.

Then there's the crossy in tactic with endless balls fired into the box which Alfie very rarely gets on the end of.

Its not a lot of fun watching this every week.

All this guff about Alfie being a great 'link up' and team player is just that, guff. He's a shadow of the player he was and he better start upping the "intensity" or we're in for a long long season.

It doesnt help that our build up play is so slow we end up facing packed defences every week.

Then there's the crossy in tactic with endless balls fired into the box which Alfie very rarely gets on the end of.

Its not a lot of fun watching this every week.

He’s played his part in quite a lot of goals for it being guff. Even in Europe he’s still done well to take the ball in and switch play and open up space. I find it hard to fathom how that could be an oversight for anyone mate.

He’s played his part in quite a lot of goals for it being guff. Even in Europe he’s still done well to take the ball in and switch play and open up space. I find it hard to fathom how that could be an oversight for anyone mate.

Royal Antwerp tie.

Involved in all 7 goals while he was on the field.

Morelos isn't as greedy as his first couple years, that's the big difference.

His off the ball play has improved and he gets involved in the build up a lot more.

Roofe is the actual concern, he's been lacking lately.

Even against Lyon he had moments of quality, taking the ball in and switching it. And that was in a game against quality opposition where the team were largely shite!

Agree.

Where would FF be without a daily let’s attack Morelos thread ? LOL

We just aren’t energetic & athletic enough this season, we have a fitness issue across the board & the balance of the team is wrong. That’s our issue IMO.

Agree.

Where would FF be without a daily let’s attack Morelos thread ? LOL

We just aren’t energetic & athletic enough this season, we have a fitness issue across the board & the balance of the team is wrong. That’s our issue IMO.

He’s held to a different standard from other strikers which is odd given he was a £1m buy and Roofe cost a lot more money yet gets more leeway with fluffing chances. But as you say mate, some seem to have a big chip on the shoulder where Morelos is concerned.

I think some fans are still expecting 20-25 goals a season from Alfie.

Gerard has clearly changed Alfie’s game the past season. He now drops deeper in order to let people go beyond, before he would have planked his arse in the box the majority of the game.

Alfie’s doing fine & will continue to be a pivotal part of what this team achieves this season.

Gerard has clearly changed Alfie’s game the past season. He now drops deeper in order to let people go beyond, before he would have planked his arse in the box the majority of the game.

Alfie’s doing fine & will continue to be a pivotal part of what this team achieves this season.
We can forget getting big money for him then if he continues in this role.

If a striker at Rangers isn't scoring 20-25 goals a season then he's not good enough to be our main man, simple as that.

I dunno what the answer is with Alfie. Thinking back to his perfomances v porto , feyenoord etc. The level he was at was fantastic, if he had sustained that for a few months longer he wouldnt be here. His games evolved, we're obviously asking him to come deeper. We're not on fire. had a wean. pandemic. went to colombia and never played a minute. calmed down in terms of discipline etc. so many things going on. Im sure he'll eventually leave for less than his true worth. I tell you what though, i'd happily have him here for the rest of his career. Even on the last years form.

Am not 100% sure it is down to Gerrard - last season the question was put to him (pre or post match IIRC) about Alfie playing deeper & his reply was along the lines of "he's done it all himself" or "developed it himself", something like that.

Nice pass on Sunday, but he's hardly Glenn Hoddle in the link up stakes - he loses possession frequently with his passing and lay offs.

Either way, I really don't want him drifting back the way or even worse, wide - he's our main striker, so get in the box, stay there, terrify centre backs, and start to get goals again - we will win more matches, he will get closer to the end of season move he clearly desires & we will hopefully get a decent fee as a result.

I note Alfie's wife stating on her Instagram story that she is not in Scotland and more or less stating she has no idea if/when she will be back in Glasgow.

Fans are too quick to fail to look beyond the player. Any man living apart from his wife and child for long periods can be afffected psychologically. His form is ok but he is far feom his best and also carrying that extra half stone in weight again

Back