Morelos current form

Yeah I think I’ll give Roofe, Morelos and Sakala a break here. If they were passing up golden chances every week fair enough but we’re not really creating the same number of clear cut scoring chances this season. Convenient to just lay blame at the door of the strikers rather than look at the supply line’s shortcomings.

We arent doing much of anything anywhere on the pitch. Its about a 6/10 for effort all round - with the exception of Bassey in my opinion

That's all well and good, but who's scoring our goals?
I don't care, as long as someone is. 17 goals last season on the way to delivering the league title, but 28 the season before where we failed on all fronts. We haven't been anywhere near our best in the final third this season and that is showing in the amount of goals we've scored. That and the fact that we look a lot more vulnerable at the back are where my concerns lie, not with one individuals form.

Morelos didn't earn us the three points, Aribo still has to put the ball in the net and then Mcalughlin saves a penalty or there's no three points.
Of course that's true, but Morelos has played his part in delivering the win. His assist is top drawer though. Cracking vision to see Aribo's movement and then the weight of pass is spot on.

We arent doing much of anything anywhere on the pitch. Its about a 6/10 for effort all round - with the exception of Bassey in my opinion

Yeah I’d agree with that to be honest. Key players from last season aren’t really doing it for us at the minute so we’re scraping wins. But hey at least we’re winning right enough.

Last edited:
Morelos has a goal and assist in the last two games, he’s doing fine. He’s never been a great ‘finisher’. He’s a great goal scorer but his actual technique isn’t the best, one in two is a great record for him at the club but he’s never scoring 30 goals every year

Yeah I’d agree with that two be honest. Key players from last season aren’t really doing it for us at the minute so we’re scraping wins. But hey at least we’re winning right enough.

This season reminds me of some of Smiths teams. We are effective at winning. Not always in the manner we would like, but mentally this team just know how to win. We do have a few gears to go up, i think we will find them if we need to.

I don’t understand these comments about Roofe to be honest. He looks like scoring in any domestic game we play.
Only when roofe is in central position

Total waste to have him out wide , offers little out there , needs to be played through the middle

I’ve said it before , it’s unfortunately proved a bad gamble not to take the money for Morelos last season, we won’t be getting that level of money for him again, so we’re stuck with formation all setup for him , yet his goal scoring record is poor, drops far too deep and we keep holding out for the hope he will start taking the chances / look like the player he was

Assist on Saturday wasn’t bad.

I came on to say just that.

It was a fantastic assist ffs!

Almost every touch he got at the weekend was 20-40 yards from the goal. He was a lot deeper.

What even is this thread? Talk of his value dropping? Being huffy? Not doing enough?

He's scored the goals that got us in to the Europa league group stages. He has 5 goals in 9 games. He is still holding up the ball and linking up the play and creating assists. All of this despite the likes or Kent, Wright, Barasic and Aribo not quite finding their form around him to supply like they have previously.

Maybe if other players were making more creative passes and runs, we'd see more reward from Roofe and Morelos. The difference Hagi's return made was obvious. Now we just need others to refind their form.

Morelos is, and will be, huge for us this season as always.

I don't care, as long as someone is. 17 goals last season on the way to delivering the league title, but 28 the season before where we failed on all fronts. We haven't been anywhere near our best in the final third this season and that is showing in the amount of goals we've scored. That and the fact that we look a lot more vulnerable at the back are where my concerns lie, not with one individuals form.

Well part of the issue is we're struggling for goals.

We were lucky against Dundee, couldn't score more than 1 against Motherwell, 1 against Celtic, 0 against Dundee Utd etc.

He's playing well in his link up play but when chances do fall to him, he isn't sharp enough to take them.

The forwards in general seem to take too long to get a shot away so far this season.

Has been asked to play differently and adapt his game to dropping deep and taking defenders with him and when you get a run like Aribo did it works but the thing is Kent and Aribo and co have stopped making these off the ball runs as much and it hurts us going forward imo.

That being said Morelos movement is worse now than it was a year or two ago he rarely spins in behind and that makes it easier for defenders because they know they can push up. He doesn’t bully or rag doll CBs anywhere near as much either.

Drop deep but when it’s wide get in between the posts he isn’t in there nearly enough imo now

Has been asked to play differently and adapt his game to dropping deep and taking defenders with him and when you get a run like Aribo did it works but the thing is Kent and Aribo and co have stopped making these off the ball runs as much and it hurts us going forward imo.

That being said Morelos movement is worse now than it was a year or two ago he rarely spins in behind and that makes it easier for defenders because they know they can push up. He doesn’t bully or rag doll CBs anywhere near as much either.

Drop deep but when it’s wide get in between the posts he isn’t in there nearly enough imo now
Completely agree. Don't agree with a lot on here that his new role brings to the team what his previous role did where he would, like you say, ragdoll centre backs.

He will come good along with Kent,Roofe and Goldson.
Hopefully we hit a bit of form and start putting a few goals past teams early.

Anyone else think we aren't getting enough out of the wee man these days? His start to the season actually reminds me of the first half of last season. Don't know how much of it is down to his pre season & involvement in the Copa America but I'd be tempted to take him out of the starting lineup for a wee bit and give Sakala a run.

Actually thought he was sensational in his new role for the 2nd half of last season, so don't buy that as the reason for his downturn in form this season.

Just think he's largely quiet, bordering on anonymous in a lot of games right now and isn't bullying defenders anywhere near as much as he normally does.
The midfield this season has been close to the level at the piggery, rotten, service to the front men , not just Alfie has been close to nonexistent , he’s trying to get involved in areas he shouldn’t really be in because he’s not getting the service, I’m more worried about the supply ie our midfield than the strike force, as others have said Kemar has not been at the races whereas I think Alfie has been.
He set up the winner on Saturday with one of the few balls he received at the edge of the box and I thought he was unlucky with another shot.

The Alfredo of season 2019/20 had 11 goals and 4 assists after first14 games.
I probably preferred the Morelos of 2019/20.
we need to get the 19/20 Morelos back.
Maybe folk have forgotten but, as great as he was in the first half of the ‘19/20 season, he was just as dreadful in the second.

Facts are that we’ve never had a full season from him at his best. Last season he never turned up until the end of the year.

At some point he’ll probably click into gear, but this just feels like par for the course to me at the moment.

Morelos used to rag doll defenders, bully entire back lines by himself and be hungry for goals. Now he just stoats about looking huffy.

I know he had a different role last season but if we want to maximise profit for him, we need to get the 19/20 Morelos back.
Absolute nonsense

Anyone else think we aren't getting enough out of the wee man these days? His start to the season actually reminds me of the first half of last season. Don't know how much of it is down to his pre season & involvement in the Copa America but I'd be tempted to take him out of the starting lineup for a wee bit and give Sakala a run.

Actually thought he was sensational in his new role for the 2nd half of last season, so don't buy that as the reason for his downturn in form this season.

Just think he's largely quiet, bordering on anonymous in a lot of games right now and isn't bullying defenders anywhere near as much as he normally does.
What do you think happens to strikers when their defence and midfield don't perform?

Morelos didn't earn us the three points, Aribo still has to put the ball in the net and then Mcalughlin saves a penalty or there's no three points.
If Morelos doesn’t make the pass then there is no goal. If McLaughlin didn’t foul the player then there is no penalty. What absolute nonsense are you talking.

The midfield this season has been close to the level at the piggery, rotten, service to the front men , not just Alfie has been close to nonexistent , he’s trying to get involved in areas he shouldn’t really be in because he’s not getting the service, I’m more worried about the supply ie our midfield than the strike force, as others have said Kemar has not been at the races whereas I think Alfie has been.
He set up the winner on Saturday with one of the few balls he received at the edge of the box and I thought he was unlucky with another shot.
Maybe folk have forgotten but, as great as he was in the first half of the ‘19/20 season, he was just as dreadful in the second.

Facts are that we’ve never had a full season from him at his best. Last season he never turned up until the end of the year.

At some point he’ll probably click into gear, but this just feels like par for the course to me at the moment.
He was never dreadful.

Honest to god , this must be the most negative football forum on the internet.

Top of the league by 6 points after 7 games (we all know Celtic are our only challengers) and in the semi final of the league cup.

Yet everyday we have poster on here saying our players are rotten, shite whatever.

Place is full negativity to the point where it's embarrassing

I probably preferred the Morelos of 2019/20.

I agree with this.

For me, he seems to have a lost a yard of pace & some strength. He can't seem to burst past away from defenders like he used to. Seems like ages since he did that.

Everyone goes on about how his overall play is better these days but tbh I don't ever remember it being bad at all.

In any case, it's not a worry & others should be stepping up with goals however I'd like to see him push on & be more of a goal threat (appreciate some of this is tactical)

He was never dreadful.

Honest to god , this must be the most negative football forum on the internet.

Top of the league by 6 points after 7 games (we all know Celtic are our only challengers) and in the semi final of the league cup.

Yet everyday we have poster on here saying our players are rotten, shite whatever.

Place is full negativity to the point where it's embarrassing
I actually backed Morelos if you read my post, a lot of the team are playing poorly at the moment but if your happy with that then great, I for one will say it as I see it and we are playing dung, there are some players that stand out in games mainly because the others in the team aren’t performing.
Yes top of the league and in the semi but let’s face facts, against Utd and well despite having a lot of the ball we were garbage, if we had another 3 or 4 players anywhere near what they are capable of we would’ve been out of sight in the league already, but 5,6 or 7 playing below par every game does not make for good watching .

It's a fair point mate.

I agree. We've never had a great full season from him really. As you say, first half 19/20 was superb. Second half, not so much.

And this is probably why, apart from Lille, no proper big bids have come in for him.

I agree with this.

For me, he seems to have a lost a yard of pace & some strength. He can't seem to burst past away from defenders like he used to. Seems like ages since he did that.

Everyone goes on about how his overall play is better these days but tbh I don't ever remember it being bad at all.

In any case, it's not a worry & others should be stepping up with goals however I'd like to see him push on & be more of a goal threat (appreciate some of this is tactical)
Agreed 100% mate.

League goal scorers after 7 games - only Roofe and Aribo have more than 1 - both on 2 …
This is the worry for me. We need to be hitting better numbers here and I can see why Gerrard has openly challenged them. Roofe seems better suited as the central striker, I don't think he's as effective on the left or right.

If Morelos doesn’t make the pass then there is no goal. If McLaughlin didn’t foul the player then there is no penalty. What absolute nonsense are you talking.

Theres no goal until it hits the back of the net, who put it in the back of the net?

The Dundee player was running clean through on goal because Goldson let the ball bounce, the keeper had to do something ffs and then saved the resulting penalty which meant we kept the 3 points.

Sorry but only a moron would think Morelos single handedly won us 3 points at the weekend, it was the team that scraped the result.

I would probably agree, truth is, he probably needs a fresh challenge.
I agree with this, but if he wants a move to a big club he will have to liven up a bit, because on current form no big bucks offers will be incoming.
I much preferred the old Alfie.

Never mind Morelos

Our defence at this moment in time is the problem, playing like Sunday Lge players
Our forward players are making far more mistakes and poor performances than the defence.

Due to the lack of goals the spotlight then shifts to the defence when in fact the final third is definitely the problem area.

'Defensive issues' are a red herring.

Don't care what anybody says, we've no seen Morelos that good since Christmas 2019 after he got sent off at the piggery.

He's obviously been good since then but never as good as he was that first half of the season. He was unplayable.
This.

First half 19/20 has never been repeated unfortunately.

I'd love to have that Alfie back right now.

He has been ok so far this season.

But as think it was Walter Smith who said to Kevin Thomson, doing ok at Rangers isnt good enough.

He's the man with the ability to spark the team into life.

The Alfredo of season 2019/20 had 11 goals and 4 assists after first14 games.
What did we win in 2019/20?

The Alfredo of 2020/21 changed his role and helped us win the league and our EL section. He's playing in a similar role this season and we're top of the league. He's sacrificing the amount of goals he scores on Gerrard's instructions for the good of the overall team, plus the team is set up differently, which also impacts his goal scoring.

The balance in both midfield & up front, as well as overall fitness levels, is my issue.

If you think about the service / control from midfield it isn’t there. We really miss Jack to provide that platform.

Looking at the balance up front, at Dundee we had Alfie with Roofe & Hagi. Absolutely no pace between them, so it was easy for Dundee. We need at least one of the three with pace & Morelos to provide the platform. And for me, outside the box Roofe gives us very little, albeit he is normally our best finisher if we create chances for him in the box. I know he missed a sitter against Motherwell.

He looks a totally different player to the Morelos of 2 years ago who would bully defenders, drag them all over the place & run the channels.

He's now dropping deeper, staying more centrally & getting involved in build up play more often.

Still love the wee man but personally I miss the old Alfie.

He looks a totally different player to the Morelos of 2 years ago who would bully defenders, drag them all over the place & run the channels.

He's now dropping deeper, staying more centrally & getting involved in build up play more often.

Still love the wee man but personally I miss the old Alfie.
Yep.

Given the choice, I'd have the old Alfie.

This is the worry for me. We need to be hitting better numbers here and I can see why Gerrard has openly challenged them. Roofe seems better suited as the central striker, I don't think he's as effective on the left or right.

You think he can hold the ball up & bring others into play CB ?

He often goes through these spells, and it’s no coincidence that our form majorly dips during these periods too.

I think we often expect far too much from Alfie. It would be nice if someone else stood up and took the responsibility sometimes.

Back