Potential Future Manager

If Gerrard left next summer, it’d be between Beale and Callum Davidson for me. That’s also dependant on Davidson having another good season this year.

I’m not such a fan of going foreign again, even if it was for someone like Gio. The Scottish game is just too far gone for any foreigner to understand.

Callum Davidson done well last season winning both cups. Lost a few of their better players this season. Wouldnt mind him if he keeps progressing if thats even possible.

Apparently Newcastle are interested in Lampard.

Of course they are. That would be the most Newcastle appointment ever.

Where else are you going to get someone who can spend hundreds of millions and still be unable to organise a defence containing world class defenders. But...but...we drew 4-4. Yeah, congratulations.

What I will say is that Lampard has a wee army of pundits eating out of his hand the same way his old man did. Nothing is ever his fault and the sheer clamour to give him credit for Tuchel's turnaround at Chelsea last year said it all

He's said as of last week that he wants to see what journey this management team go on after rangers and wants to work abroad if he goes it alone.

Yeh I saw that mate.

However, if a job with the magnitude of the manager of Rangers is offered to you in the cold light of day, it may be a difficult first manager's job to turn down.

Managers have a shelf life, even more so in the modern day.

If Gerrard completes his contact only Wilton, Struth, Symon and Walter (1st time around) will have had longer reigns as Rangers manager. He would be equal with Jock Wallace (1st time around) with 6 full seasons as manager .

There are of course exceptions to the managerial shelf life but you would think Gerrard is closer to the end of his reign than he is to the start of it.

So life after Gerrard is definitely something that should be high on the agenda of Ross Wilson and the board.

I don’t think Gary McAllister is destined for the hot seat. He’s probably more of a number 2. Michael Beale. Again, not so sure. I know people will continue to go back to the days of Souness and Smith but how often does that actually happen and be a success?

I think when Gerrard goes, the majority of his current backroom staff follow.

Will worry about future managers when the time comes.

it’s impossible to say who’s stock will have risen and who’s will have fallen. strikes me as a pretty fickle thing

Gareth Ainsworth perhaps? He’s done a great job at Wycombe on a very limited budget, I think he’d be an excellent manager with good backing.

Beale and I'd even offer Defoe it if he wants to get into management.

Defoe isn't a name I see posted a lot , maybe for good reason but IMO he'd be good and it worked with Gerrard. Arguably Defoe is in a better position than Gerrard as he knows what the SPL/Rangers is about now and knows how to play etc against certain teams etc.

Not 100% sure how much I'd want to go for the tried and tested to be honest. It didn't work out for us pre Gerrard for a long time and we seen the troubles that lot had trying to get a "decent" manager in.

Might be a risk but someone new in Gerrard worked for us and I'd like to see us give it another try.
Defoe is crazy talk.

Callum Davidson would be a great appointment. Be interesting to see what he could do with more resources.
I really like him and last season was pretty incredible for St Johnstone

Will be interesting to see how he gets on this season with a few key players leaving

Callum Davidson is an interesting one, although I suspect the suggestion will be mocked by the majority.

I think Gerrard would move heaven and earth to keep Beale as a part of his team. It just depends if the chance at Rangers outweighs the big bucks of Liverpool and the EPL. Remember Davies was in with a shout of becoming the next Celtic manager but preferred to stick with Rodgers.

Davidson clearly has something. As a Rangers manager though, I'm not so sure. Perhaps it's to do with the fact it looks like he lives under a bridge.

This probably sounds wankier than I intended it to, but Davidson to me feels a bit like McLeish, and actually lesser candidates than him as well.

Despite what McLeish achieved with us, he always just felt a bit underwhelming as a manager of us and like we were selling ourselves short. I would feel that way if we went from where we are now to Davidson.

In recent years, we, and they with Rodgers have shown money needs to spend on a manager and that shambles is never far away when you go with a cheaper option.

Agree Defoe could be a dark horse. Could be groomed during the rest of Gerrard's tenure. Great attitude, players all respect him and he already has a positive impact on the dressing room. Comes across as a smart guy who knows and loves his football. Also gets the club and loves it here, and now has experience of the league. Great reputation throughout the game and players would be keen to come and work with him. Conducts himself the way a Rangers manager should.

The concern is his lack of experience but same could be said for Gerrard.

I would offer it to Gary McAllister or Michael Beale and hope they would bring in Calum Davidson as his assistant who down the line would be our next manager.

I think Davidson would accept that offer.

If we were promoting from within (and that's something that a lot of major European clubs do) then the only outstanding candidate is Beale IMO.

Davidson is definitely an interesting candidate. Pretty remarkable what he achieved last season. Would be surprised if the Celtic board don't try to go for him after Ange.

Let me start by saying I don't think Gerrard and his team are leaving anytime soon but if/when they do leave are there any current realistic managerial targets in mind?

Bored during the international break loyal.
A left field name Darren Ferguson no EPL experience but he knows the English leagues inside out, given Rangers budget the Championship/league 1 is the level of British player we are looking to sign

Callum Davidson, would be a great manager imo
Not a bad shout to be honest

Definitely think Kevin Thomson will be our manager at some point but think it will be a few years down the line once he has a bit more experience. If Gerrard was to leave in the next year or two Davidson might not be a bad option

Back