Potential Future Manager

Ross Wilson should have an ever evolving list of potential managers for every scenario which could arise. I have a feeling going by his Southampton hires our next manager will be an up and coming foreigner.
I think it’s fairly obvious our next manager will not be British as there is simply a ridiculous crazy shortage of them.

I won’t throw any names out their but if we were playing champions league then I would expect we would go for one of the top 3 Dutch/Belgian or Germans within our budget

Will be interesting to see how David Wagner does with Young Boys. Always thought he would do well after Huddersfield but don’t think schalke was the right move for him. If he wins the league with Young Boys it will be interesting to see how he progresses.

GVB or Xavi.
I've been saying for a while now that we should be looking at Xavi as our next manager.

In much the same way as we are essentially grooming Gerrard for the Liverpool job, we should offer Xavi the chance to manage a European club before he takes over at Barcelona (and he will).
He has done a very good job at Al Sadd, got them playing the kind of football Gerrard wants us to play, so there would be a smooth transition for the players that stayed (see goal below).

Oh, and he also speaks perfect English.

I have just read through this entire thread, and I can't believe some of the suggestions that people have been making.

Imagine for a moment you are a young professional footballer, let's say playing in a Dutch/Croatian/Danish/English/French team (or whatever)). Your agent tells you that Rangers are interested in signing you. "Who is the manager I'd be playing for?" you ask. "Eh, some guy called Calum Davidson" comes the reply. "No thanks" is the probably answer. Either that or more probably "Who?"
Alternatively, if the Rangers manager is Gerrard/Xavi/Van Bronckhorst, you don't even need to ask who the manager is, as you already know, and you immediately want to play for him.
That's worth the extra salary he would cost alone.

Last edited:
Ralf Rangnick would be an absolute dream however the chances are slimmer than the gable end of a fag paper, some good shouts David Wagner, Jon Dahl Tomasson, Potter etc... I'd personally settle for Gary Mac and Michael Beale to carry on where Gerrard finishes.

McAllister,Davy Weiresque.no thanks.
Everyone credits Beale with having a lot to do with our success. Isn’t it just as likely McAllister has had as much input?

I’m not saying he should just be appointed, but that he’s the first person we should evaluate.

I've been saying for a while now that we should be looking at Xavi as our next manager.

In much the same way as we are essentially grooming Gerrard for the Liverpool job, we should offer Xavi the chance to manage a European club before he takes over at Barcelona (and he will).
He has done a very good job at Al Sadd, got them playing the kind of football Gerrard wants us to play, so there would be a smooth transition for the players that stayed (see goal below).

I have just read through this entire thread, and I can't believe some of the suggestions that people have been making.

Imagine for a moment you are a young professional footballer, let's say playing in a Dutch/Croatian/Danish/English/French team (or whatever)). Your agent tells you that Rangers are interested in signing you. "Who is the manager I'd be playing for?" you ask. "Eh, some guy called Calum Davidson" comes the reply. "No thanks" is the probably answer. Either that or more probably "Who?"
Alternatively, if the Rangers manager is Gerrard/Xavi/Van Bronckhorst, you don't even need to ask who the manager is, as you already know, and you immediately want to play for him.
That's worth the extra salary he would cost alone.
Not saying you're wrong but those types of goals aren't as easy to come by when you face 10 men in the box every week.

I wouldn't be opposed to xavi but it's a different ballgame

Everyone credits Beale with having a lot to do with our success. Isn’t it just as likely McAllister has had as much input?

I’m not saying he should just be appointed, but that he’s the first person we should evaluate.
Who knows Tottie,it’s just I get the same feeling like I did with Weir.

Whether it's the end of this season or next season I feel we are coming to the tail end of Gerrard's tenure. He's built us back up and created a squad from nothing. There is only Tav, Morelos and jack left from what he inherited. This all happened while spending a lot less than the Tim's in the same time frame. He's done a great job but I feel we are getting to that point where it needs mixed up. Whether that be players or manager, we have gotten a little stale.

For my choice I'd quite like Gattuso. He is actually a better manager than be realise and I'd like to see him take on a job were the club isn't in turmoil.

I think that next season will be the final one - assuming that we win the league this year.

A five-year tenure is not very common these days and will probably be the longest of SG's managerial career imo.

I don't think that Beale will replace him though. A successful Rangers manager needs to have a certain aura about him. Beale is a fantastic coach/tactician and may well go on to be a great manager elsewhere. The nature of our club is different. We need someone who results in hush descending on a room when he walks in.

I would have to base this one on if Gerrard was to go tomorrow and I'd go for Lampard.

Hopefully he has learned or reflected on his defensive frailties his teams have had. Maybe a defensive coach alongside him to assist.

Now we've had Gerrard I would find it very hard to go back to a Callum Davidson which is ridiculous because he is clearly a good football manager and has achieved arguably more than McLeish had prior to managing us. And McLeish's trophy record was excllent in his time with Rangers, yes I know his last season was abysmal.

RangersTV had an interview with Gerrard and McAllister I recall for a Coaching Course they did. Both praised Beale, saying he took 80% of the training sessions. I’m sure both had input and oversight but Beale was clearly the man doing most of the design and implementation. McAllister described himself as ‘assistant-everything’, acting as liaison between the various elements of the coaching staff, medical staff, players etc.

I was left very much with the impression that Gerrard is ‘the Boss’, watching from the sidelines and making his point when necessary, Beale is the ‘hands-on’ guy doing the real work and McAllister is the go-between taking on everybody’s feedback and making sure everybody is comfortable with what’s being asked of them.

Not saying you're wrong but those types of goals aren't as easy to come by when you face 10 men in the box every week.

I wouldn't be opposed to xavi but it's a different ballgame
Yeah i totally agree with that i would hope we dont just pick someone that might, possibly, hopefully be next pep and tearing it up on the stats website with passing percentages..... its unpopular i know but i want the next manager to get the ball in the box and put opposition teams under pressure with crosses or long balls from the first whistle.

He once made a good tackle, has his coaching badges and refers to Rangers as "us" on RTV commentary in amongst endless cliches. Clearly the Scottish equivalent of Gerrard.
From what I’ve seen no one is saying he should be manager right now. He’s off to a good start in his career with Kelty hearts in league 2, so just needs to continue progressing and maybe in the future he might be under consideration.

Forget Davidson, Thomson .
Assistants yes, but no way ever for the top job.
Can't ever say ever. Thomson has gone about being a coach in a rather ambitious manner, and he had stated his ambition to be the manager one day. No one can really say at this moment in time how good he will be, eventually, but he does have ambitions that no one should just write off so early.

Can’t see it being another rookie, we were in a pretty desperate situation when Gerrard was appointed. We should hopefully be a more stable, attractive option for decent managers by the time Gerrard leaves. Plus there aren’t many rookies with the gravitas of Stevie G!

We should have a list though as Gerrard is almost certainly closer to the end of his reign than the beginning of it.

It won’t be the next appointment but we should be looking to develop our own coaches within. To have the best in the country training our players but also promote to head coach if they show potential.

I can’t see it being Beale, unfortunately. Glad it’s down to Wilson rather than the board to compile the list.
Unfortunately not Beale? I don't see this cult around Beale. No doubt a good coach but it's another thing to become the all round leader and have the magnetism to attract players and much needed sponsorship to the club. A couple of bad results and the pressure on him would be huge. Potentially a Murty type thing. Rangers need to think and act as big as they can.

Can't ever say ever. Thomson has gone about being a coach in a rather ambitious manner, and he had stated his ambition to be the manager one day. No one can really say at this moment in time how good he will be, eventually, but he does have ambitions that no one should just write off so early.
He will attract no one outside of Scotland to us.
We have moved on and nearly back where we belong.
That would have been fine 5 or 6 years ago , but not now.

SPit

That's worth the extra salary he would cost alone

Spot on. As I've written here before I'm firmly in the Van Bronckhorst camp.

He will attract no one outside of Scotland to us.
We have moved on and nearly back where we belong.
That would have been fine 5 or 6 years ago , but not now.
That particular issue never seemed to preclude Alex McLeish from making signings outwith Scotland, nor should that be a factor that would hinder Thomson from ever being manager.

That particular issue never seemed to preclude Alex McLeish from making signings outwith Scotland, nor should that be a factor that would hinder Thomson from ever being manager.
Different eras and Mcleish was far better known than Thomson imo, bit of an imposing figure as well.
Not for me.
The love in with Thomson is nearly has bad with the one that many had for Rossiter.

Different eras and Mcleish was far better known than Thomson imo, bit of an imposing figure as well.
Not for me.
The love in with Thomson is nearly has bad with the one that many had for Rossiter.
I'm not sure it's a "love in", but on his own merits Thomson has shown a certain degree of ambition to get where he is today, that is highly admirable; he started out on his own at first, and has gone on well from there. I expect Rangers to have various young managers and coaches on its radar, especially if they have played or coached here before, no matter if that would be something away in the future. I'd also be interested in what Steven Davis chooses to do after his playing days are over, and if he becomes a manager/coach hopefully Rangers have him on the radar as well.

I'm not sure it's a "love in", but on his own merits Thomson has shown a certain degree of ambition to get where he is today, that is highly admirable; he started out on his own at first, and has gone on well from there. I expect Rangers to have various young managers and coaches on its radar, especially if they have played or coached here before, no matter if that would be something away in the future. I'd also be interested in what Steven Davis chooses to do after his playing days are over, and if he becomes a manager/coach hopefully Rangers have him on the radar as well.
I think the no1 needs to be known and have a big personality or presence to manage Rangers.

He once made a good tackle, has his coaching badges and refers to Rangers as "us" on RTV commentary in amongst endless cliches. Clearly the Scottish equivalent of Gerrard.
Once made a good tackle? That it? Total disrespect. Thomson was a brilliant signing for us from Hibs and went on to win trophies as well as play in a European final.

The way we disrespect our own on this forum never ceases to baffle me (type Barry Ferguson into the search bar). Kevin Thomson absolutely loves this club and knows what it takes to be a winner here.

Whether it's the end of this season or next season I feel we are coming to the tail end of Gerrard's tenure. He's built us back up and created a squad from nothing. There is only Tav, Morelos and jack left from what he inherited. This all happened while spending a lot less than the Tim's in the same time frame. He's done a great job but I feel we are getting to that point where it needs mixed up. Whether that be players or manager, we have gotten a little stale.

For my choice I'd quite like Gattuso. He is actually a better manager than be realise and I'd like to see him take on a job were the club isn't in turmoil.
Gattuso isn't as bad as some would think at the start of his managerial career he took a few jobs he should of stayed well clear of. He done well at Ac Milan probably started there revival top be a top four club again. He done well with napoli won a trophy beating juve in the final playing some decent football as well

I agree, but sometimes a manager grows into that possibly.
From my memory, very few wanted Walter Smith to succeed Souness, the fans wanted anothe big name.
Although Walter was not known like Souness, money was no object when buying a player.
Changed days, thats why we need a big name to entice players to this backwater of a country.

From my memory, very few wanted Walter Smith to succeed Souness, the fans wanted anothe big name.
Although Walter was not known like Souness, money was no object when buying a player.
Changed days, thats why we need a big name to entice players to this backwater of a country.
I think if the club is well run, then that will be an important factor in attracting good players. I agree with you more than I disagree about the kind of manager we need. My main point about KT is that we don't know how good he will eventually be as a coach, and he may be good senough for Rangers one day.

I think if the club is well run, then that will be an important factor in attracting good players. I agree with you more than I disagree about the kind of manager we need. My main point about KT is that we don't know how good he will eventually be as a coach, and he may be good senough for Rangers one day.
We have had more failures by a mile than successes with our managers this past 15 years.
Need to make sure we get them right if poss in future.

Back