Reply from BT re complaint about IRA singing at the Piggery

Craigton

I have finally received a reply from BT sports to my complaint about the singing in support of the IRA and the display of the terrorist flag at the recent Scum Europa League match.

Hello Craigton,

Thank you for taking the time to contact us.

We take our responsibility as a broadcaster very seriously and we recognise that inappropriate behaviour by fans at live sporting events has the potential to cause offence. We try to prevent this across all of our live broadcasts by, for example, adjusting microphone settings so that offensive language (including chanting) is less likely to be discernible.

We aim to balance our obligations as a responsible broadcaster (by mitigating potential offence) with being able to convey the atmosphere to viewers at home.

As soon as our production team realised the flag was in shot, they liaised with UEFA officials during the live broadcast and were eventually able to have the flag removed.

We acknowledge that this response won’t fully alleviate your concerns. However, despite fans’ behaviour at grounds being out of our direct control, we hope the above information reassures you that we do have contingency measures in place to mitigate offence.

We hope you continue to enjoy all that BT Sport has to offer.

Best wishes

BT Sport Team

A
bit wishy washy so I have now replied again.

Thank you for your response below to my previous email.

While you have addressed the issue regarding the terrorist flag, you have not addressed the issue of the extremely offensive singing.

I understand that “turning down the microphone” is a reasonable way to address the issue of offensive chants, however, I do not feel that this was a sufficient remedy on this occasion.

As per my previous complaint, the singing of sectarian songs and songs/chants in support of a proscribed terrorist organisation (IRA) was clearly audible, not just for a few seconds, but for large parts of the match. The fact that this was clearly audible, suggests that the microphones were either not turned down at all, or only for a small amount of time.

I fully appreciate that “crowd noise” is a part of the viewing package and can make a live football match more exciting for your audience, however being able to clearly discern these disgusting chants made this particular viewing experience anything but a pleasure.

One of the reasons I subscribe to BT Sports is so that I can enjoy watching your coverage of European football. On this occasion I feel badly let down. No-one should be subjected to these vile songs anywhere, but especially not while watching sport on the television. I would hope that in future, your production team make far more effort to reduce the volume when this sectarian, offensive bile is being sung.

Kind regards

Craigton

It only takes a few minutes to do this, and the more of us who do, the more chance we have of getting a result.
This is what that lot have been doing for years and it has been a successful tactic for them. We cannot afford to turn a blind eye any longer.

I am still waiting on my response from FARE, but i suspect that this will take longer.

I have finally received a reply from BT sports to my complaint about the singing in support of the IRA and the display of the terrorist flag at the recent Scum Europa League match.

Hello Craigton,

We take our responsibility as a broadcaster very seriously and we recognise that inappropriate behaviour by fans at live sporting events has the potential to cause offence. We try to prevent this across all of our live broadcasts by, for example, adjusting microphone settings so that offensive language (including chanting) is less likely to be discernible.

We aim to balance our obligations as a responsible broadcaster (by mitigating potential offence) with being able to convey the atmosphere to viewers at home.

As soon as our production team realised the flag was in shot, they liaised with UEFA officials during the live broadcast and were eventually able to have the flag removed.

We acknowledge that this response won’t fully alleviate your concerns. However, despite fans’ behaviour at grounds being out of our direct control, we hope the above information reassures you that we do have contingency measures in place to mitigate offence.

Best wishes

BT Sport Team

A

While you have addressed the issue regarding the terrorist flag, you have not addressed the issue of the extremely offensive singing.

I understand that “turning down the microphone” is a reasonable way to address the issue of offensive chants, however, I do not feel that this was a sufficient remedy on this occasion.

As per my previous complaint, the singing of sectarian songs and songs/chants in support of a proscribed terrorist organisation (IRA) was clearly audible, not just for a few seconds, but for large parts of the match. The fact that this was clearly audible, suggests that the microphones were either not turned down at all, or only for a small amount of time.

I fully appreciate that “crowd noise” is a part of the viewing package and can make a live football match more exciting for your audience, however being able to clearly discern these disgusting chants made this particular viewing experience anything but a pleasure.

One of the reasons I subscribe to BT Sports is so that I can enjoy watching your coverage of European football. On this occasion I feel badly let down. No-one should be subjected to these vile songs anywhere, but especially not while watching sport on the television. I would hope that in future, your production team make far more effort to reduce the volume when this sectarian, offensive bile is being sung.

Kind regards

Craigton

It only takes a few minutes to do this, and the more of us who do, the more chance we have of getting a result.
This is what that lot have been doing for years and it has been a successful tactic for them. We cannot afford to turn a blind eye any longer.

I am still waiting on my response from FARE, but i suspect that this will take longer.
Well done mate. BT have a duty of care to it's paying customers.

Re the highlighted part - no chance you will hear anything back...that organisation have a clear agenda.

Good work.

I was also ask that the commentators should apologise for it when it's heard and specifically sectarianism and anti-British racism.
That's a good point Rick. I should have thought about that.

Don't worry though, I suspect that there will be many other occasions in the near future where a complaint will be necessary and the above will definitely be highlighted.

Very interesting point revealed there. So what action are UEFA going to take? Did these officials report this incident?

Hello Craigton,

Best wishes

BT Sport Team

A

Kind regards

Craigton

Well done mate.

Very interesting point revealed there. So what action are UEFA going to take? Did these officials report this incident?
Rhetorical question mate. We all know BT didn't and Yoofa will not take any further action.

That's a good point Rick. I should have thought about that.

Don't worry though, I suspect that there will be many other occasions in the near future where a complaint will be necessary and the above will definitely be highlighted.

Well done mate.

I don’t know how many times ‘%^*& the Queen’ was sung IIRC and for this to not be dealt with in her own country is an absolute disgrace.

Hello Craigton,

Best wishes

BT Sport Team

A

Kind regards

Craigton

Good reply. What should happen is the commentary team should also be made apologise for the offensive singing

TBH, I dont worry too much about BT muting them, I can understand why they do it. But the big issue here is UEFA were liaised with over a terrorist banner and they havent acted, that is the real problem here.

A Well Done from me too mate.

I've written quite a few emails recently too and concur on the need
to tackle these incidents head on. I never want to be thought of trying
to Put a Cherry on the Top of anyone's good work, but I would've I
asked for BT Sport's / Production Team's Point of Contact at UEFA.

(appreciate that UEFA not going to reply, but we'll be creating a history of
bringing these things to their attention, which might be condemning in
the future should the landscape change)

A Well Done from me too mate.

I've written quite a few emails recently too and concur on the need
to tackle these incidents head on. I never want to be thought of trying
to Put a Cherry on the Top of anyone's good work, but I would've I
asked for BT Sport's / Production Team's Point of Contact at UEFA.

(appreciate that UEFA not going to reply, but we'll be creating a history of
bringing these things to their attention, which might be condemning in
the future should the landscape change)
Cheers mate

I honestly think that if more of us actually complain to the various authorities involved, it will push them to react.
It is really important to remember that this is the tactics used by them against us from away back at the Villareal? game where they had a concerted effort against us and subsequently got the Billy Boys banned. It was unforgivable of Murray to lie down to that.

We should be writing to FARE, UEFA, the broadcasters and even our MP/MSP (I know, I know).
The more we do it, the better chance we have of seeing parity on how we are dealt with.
Anyone who thinks a song with one "inflammatory" word is worse than singing about terrorist murderers really needs to take a long hard look at themselves.

As BT Sport are a British based company, should the failure to address the initial complaint and the attempt to fob off on that reply, not be forwarded on the the Secretary of State for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.

As I’m not the originator I can’t do so, I’m also not a BT Sport subscriber, but given what efforts the OP has made, this would be my next port of call.

Cheers mate

I honestly think that if more of us actually complain to the various authorities involved, it will push them to react.
It is really important to remember that this is the tactics used by them against us from away back at the Villareal? game where they had a concerted effort against us and subsequently got the Billy Boys banned. It was unforgivable of Murray to lie down to that.

We should be writing to FARE, UEFA, the broadcasters and even our MP/MSP (I know, I know).
The more we do it, the better chance we have of seeing parity on how we are dealt with.
Anyone who thinks a song with one "inflammatory" word is worse than singing about terrorist murderers really needs to take a long hard look at themselves.

Spot on.

At least we now know we’re in a propaganda war & it’s fantastic that the apathy has gone.

Well done to you, and every bear that now fights for our club & our community.

Probably kept the flag for fare headquarters

Spot on.

At least we now know we’re in a propaganda war & it’s fantastic that the apathy has gone.

Well done to you, and every bear that now fights for our club & our community.
This is the thing. It’s been a long time coming and it’s not really us but the apathy has given them years of a start. Get into them

As somebody with an insight into corporate e-mail deflection, I strongly suspect this means somebody at BT contacted Liewell to do something about the Starry Plough fluttering over TLB's heid. They then over-egg what actually took place to try to convince the complainant that they were worried about what they were broadcasting.

FBS

FARE lost the UEFA gig.
Until the next Rangers game

I’ll believe it when I see it …..

They’ve all went into hiding since the last Celtic European game was littered with Anti British racism and the glorification of Irish terrorists plus Vile anti Protestant bigotry

Them the oh so usually vocal SNP politicians and the sectarian crusaders in the media …. Complete silence as it doesn’t fit the agenda

The Scottish mhedia simply do not wish to know unfortunately. The Scottish government not only tolerate open support for the IRA amongst its membership. It actively encourages it.

Good work.

I was also ask that the commentators should apologise for it when it's heard and specifically sectarianism and anti-British racism.
I’ve made this comment before but to most young people under 35 the IRA are not really relevant to them unlike those of us who lived through their murderous terrorist campaign in the UK in the 70’s and 80’s

Why do you watch Celtic? Couldn't think of anything worse unless we're playing them. BT have nothing to do with this. Bizarre and embarrassing emails.
BT have plenty to do with it when we are playing their fukin mikes can pick up a pin dropping the same as the bbc
People pay bt a subscription to watch football not listen to an ira songfest

This is the thing. It’s been a long time coming and it’s not really us but the apathy has given them years of a start. Get into them

You’re right Shug, but we are catching up every day & the difference is massive if we reflect back even 2/3 years mate.

The Scottish mhedia simply do not wish to know unfortunately. The Scottish government not only tolerate open support for the IRA amongst its membership. It actively encourages it.
Encourages it you say!!
245686512_10220490917207265_104582425392013130_n.jpg

The more we keep to the sectarian and anti-British racist songs narrative from the Piggery, they can't ignore it forever. Keep the pressure on BT / Sky / BBC.
Surely it should be a police issue? Supporting the IRA is outlawed in the U.K.

Why are the police allowed to ignore the terrorist supporters?

Back