Steven Gerrard on Three man shortlist for Newcastle job - The Times

I would be surprised if Gerrard went mid season . I could see Newcastle sacking Bruce and placing their Coach- Jones as temporary manager till end of the season then appointing someone. Our manager could go then . I was surprised to read he is the longest serving SPL Manager.
Newcastle will soon be in big Sam survival mode.

I’m not sure Newcastle will go for Gerrard but I think this could be his last season here, Taking Certain jobs is a risk on his path to the Liverpool job but I think the rebuild here could be just as risky, we need a whole new core to our team

I can only see Gerrard leaving us for one EPL team. I hope, anyways.
I think he still has to prove himself in the EPL and it may we'll mean him taking on Liverpool and beating them for them to take notice and Newcastle are a sleeping giant and with Ashley out the picture it would be even more of an attraction. I think he will go there at some point and it's only a matter of time. I just hope Ross Wilson has plans afoot post Gerrard.

I would be very surprised if Gerrard left us just now, or even in January, Newcastle are in grave danger of being relegated, I can’t see him taking such a massive risk with his first managerial post in England.

Can’t see Gerrard wanting to take over a failing squad mid season, maybe in the summer, also don’t think he’ll leave us in limbo with no manager lined up,as long as we get some decent cash and the board are doing due diligence on a replacement

No idea if Gerrard would go or not but, the new owners will probably want as big a footballing name as possible to make a statement.

Can’t see Gerrard wanting to take over a failing squad mid season, maybe in the summer, also don’t think he’ll leave us in limbo with no manager lined up,as long as we get some decent cash and the board are doing due diligence on a replacement
That’s the remit of Ross Wilson surely.

If he’s doing his job right, he will have contingency plans in place for all players and management should they leave, within the constraints of the current budget.

Suspect it would be difficult for Beale and Gerrard to turn down - unless he’s been told hes already high up the shortlist for being the next Liverpool manager, he may want to cut his teeth in the CL with us before that role.

I actually think this will probably happen. There isn't a great rivalry between newcastle and liverpool. It wont affect liverpool fans opinion on SG for him to manage there. It may even reassure them that he can manage at what they perceive to be a higher level

He hasnt had money to spend this season, everything that can go gone re injuries and covid has gone wrong and the pressure is starting to mount given our slow start. If newcastle come in for him my head tells me he goes
100%...they offer him the job, he goes. Gerrard has taken us as far as he can and I think he knows it. Could Thursday be Gerrards last game?

That’s the remit of Ross Wilson surely.

If he’s doing his job right, he will have contingency plans in place for all players and management should they leave, within the constraints of the current budget.

Suspect it would be difficult for Beale and Gerrard to turn down - unless he’s been told hes already high up the shortlist for being the next Liverpool manager, he may want to cut his teeth in the CL with us before that role.
Wilson will have planned for all eventualities.

An approach, resignation or even a sacking decision. I trust him more than the board to get that call right

Why not he would improve that back line ? They can’t spend stupid money right away it’s a win win for him tbh. Gets a cheap player someone who he knows can play his style and should be coming into the prime part of his career. Goldman gets to play PL football with a nice wage bump.
To be fair, I would improve the Newcastle backline. They looked like they had just met on Sunday. If SG went then Goldson for pennies would make sense as he knows the system. Newcastle will actually be able to spend stupid money in January but getting the right players will be the tricky part.

Do Liverpool really want him?

Klopp has this season and next and i think has said he will do that

Also - who in their right mind would jump in there after Klopp as the only way they are going is down no matter who gets it
I'm thinking more from SGs side. He wants the Liverpool job so taking over Newcastle might stop that as they wont budge on a big comp payment.

You are right, Klopp's going to be a hard act to follow

To dig them out of the bottom three? I reckon they'll want someone who has experience of some sort in that division.

I think so. Dont see what else they will do, the days of allardyce, redknapp or pulis being pulled out the bag to save clubs from relegation are looking over now.

It’s interesting how many people state their opinion as fact on this thread, particularly when they say they think he’s off.

In my opinion, there’s still plenty for him to do here. Not won any cups, not had a crack at the champions league and not blooded any youth players into established first team players (Patterson getting there).

I think it would be favourable for him to have the above on his CV before moving on, especially if he has aspirations of managing Liverpool.

Reactions: Moz
What lure will Champions League football really have for him with us?
He'd be effectively taking the equivalent of Albion Rovers into the Scottish cup to be cannon fodder for the bigger and more established teams.

I think it'd be obvious! The chance to manage us against the very best teams in Europe.

That is what is going to put him in the best possible stead for managing Liverpool, not your games against Ross County or St Mirren.

Brian Clough once said, you go when you're most in demand.
Clock is ticking down on Gerrard I reckon.

This one is of concern to me.
The Times seem to have been across the Newcastle story much of the way along the road.
I don’t think Martinez is leaving Belgium ahead of the World Cup next December.
Hopefully, Emery will go there!!!!
I think the Saudis will see Gerrard's name as a huge marketing force. Far more so than Martinez and Emery. Martinez as you say has a crack at a world cup and Emery wasn't convincing previously in PL. To be honest though, for the funds they have and the expectations built, it's not the shortlist their fans would have been dreaming of.

For the richest club in the world, that shortlist (If accurate) is hardly inspiring.

Man U's is much more elite than that.

Thats not a slight on our manager, but if you're The Saudis, I dont imagine the Rangers boss is someone you'll look at, regardless of his stature as a player in world football when you can afford anyone on the planet.

I think that the time could be right for this. Imagine we got a few million £’s in compensation for Gerrard, brought in a top manager and made a few signings in January. We could have a season of two halves, back to our best in the new year.

IF he is asked he would be stupid not to go .
We are a stepping stone to the EPL and to be asked to go to the richest club in the world with any amount on of money , for me is a no brainer.
But I don’t think he will be asked when there are much better managers about that would take the job .

If Roofe had scored and not hit the post - or Morelos hadn't missed an open goal, he'd be getting praise for the substitutions.

If yer aunty had baws mate. Morelos was stinking from the get go and was getting progressively worse so the fact he was still on the pitch to miss another great chance really is on the gaffer.

Slightly concerning list that, Martinez likely want to see out the World Cup, Emery playing champions league football this season. Was hoping they’d go for a Zindane/Conte/Rodgers

Zidane?

Behave. He’s by trophy haul one of the most decorated managers of all time, he’s not going to Newcastle to try and drag a dreadful side out of a relegation scrap. He wouldn’t even pick up the phone.

They won’t be able to jump to someone at that elite level right away, which is potentially why Gerrard is a more realistic target imo.

Judging by a few of the snide comments, SG won't be missed at Ibrox by some.

It would depend upon the assurances of the Newcastle board. They currently need a 'bridging manager', one who will provide a degree of stability, EPL security and the foundation for the subsequent big appointment to build upon.

Zidane?

Behave. He’s by trophy haul one of the most decorated managers of all time, he’s not going to Newcastle to try and drag a dreadful side out of a relegation scrap. He wouldn’t even pick up the phone.

They won’t be able to jump to someone at that elite level right away, which is potentially why Gerrard is a more realistic target imo.

Does anyone else find it odd that despite his trophy haul, Zidane doesn’t seem to get quite the same respect or acclaim most of the top managers get? Even more so when you consider he was one of the greatest players of all time.

This is the first time in Gerrard's tenure here, that I've felt that if he gets a genuine offer from a club that he'll go. This new project is big. It's ambitious. It's a chance for him to prove himself to the pundits down South what he's capable of.

Until he comes out and publicly distances himself like Rodgers has. It's looking like it's a real possibility imo.

This is the first time in Gerrard's tenure here, that I've felt that if he gets a genuine offer from a club that he'll go. This new project is big. It's ambitious. It's a chance for him to prove himself to the pundits down South what he's capable of.

Until he comes out and publicly distances himself like Rodgers has. It's looking like it's a real possibility imo.
Unfortunately I agree mate. He might not have gotten all trophies he would have liked so far up here but he won us the most important one in our recent history and he knows he would leave in favourable terms with a large number of our support. Not just a new challenge with silly money to play with but he would no doubt be set up for life financially too. The biggest draw we have is guaranteed Champions League if we win this season. I hope it's enough.

If Roofe had scored and not hit the post - or Morelos hadn't missed an open goal, he'd be getting praise for the substitution
his Starting lineup was wrong (not for the first time) There were two fan favorites,that should have been nowhere near the team.
Playing favorites is definitely not the way to go.

I actually think this will probably happen. There isn't a great rivalry between newcastle and liverpool. It wont affect liverpool fans opinion on SG for him to manage there. It may even reassure them that he can manage at what they perceive to be a higher level

He hasnt had money to spend this season, everything that can go gone re injuries and covid has gone wrong and the pressure is starting to mount given our slow start. If newcastle come in for him my head tells me he goes
Why would he go to a club who will probably be relegated?

The lack of faith that Gerrard and his coaching team couldn't manage the Newcastle job, even in trying circumstances, given what he achieved in his first 12 months at Rangers baffles me TBH.

I think there might be a case for some to not realize how good they actually are till they are gone.

That's it for me. This coaching staff have a reputation of rebuilding and laying sound foundations. Taking a club in relative disarray out of the mire.

Nobody is expecting him to win trophies at this stage. Securing Premier League status and then the real rebuilding starts in the summer.

With this particular coaching staff, we won't know what we've got until it's gone.

Martinez is a good shout.
Gerrard won’t even be on their radar.
I don't think he will be their next manager but he will be on their radar all right, I think to get them through this season they will consider him, if unfortunately they do come in he will go and his backroom will go to.

Personally I don't see Gerrard landing an EPL job on the back of a single league title. Although it was huge for us as a club and fanbase, it doesn't mean a great deal down south. I know from speaking to folk down here, it's a pub league, 2 horse race etc, and both us and the tims should be winning trophy after trophy domestically .I think Gerrard needs at least a couple of titles and a couple of cups before he's considered for jobs down south .

What people forget is we slaughtered Mcinnes for knocking back Sunderland then us he'll now never get opportunities as big as those again. It will be the same in the English media with Gerrard if he was to knock the Newcastle job back and stay here that could also damage his reputation he may feel

We will get compensation and I think we should demand top dollar for his loss if he decides to go.
It depends what's on his contract. Its not a bidding war.
Realistically SG has had one decent season, not counting this one, and a few "learning curve" ones. He might regress if he stays with us and doesn't win the league. Like some players he, on a personal level, needs to move while his stock is high.
However loyalty plays a big part. He had umpteen chances to move on from Liverpool, to Real Madrid etc but opted to stay at Liverpool. Maybe, just maybe the same could happen again.

Very high chance of getting relegated with the current squad. You can spend £100+ and stand still in the EPL no bother as we have seen with the likes of Everton.

He wants the Liverpool job and I don’t see being part of a management team that takes Newcastle down improving his chances of that gig.

Personally I don't see Gerrard landing an EPL job on the back of a single league title. Although it was huge for us as a club and fanbase, it doesn't mean a great deal down south. I know from speaking to folk down here, it's a pub league, 2 horse race etc, and both us and the tims should be winning trophy after trophy domestically .I think Gerrard needs at least a couple of titles and a couple of cups before he's considered for jobs down south .
He's punched well above our weight in Europe.

That won't have gone unnoticed.

Back