Steven Gerrard on Three man shortlist for Newcastle job - The Times

How much would we be looking at in compo?
I think the board would be desperate for him to go after we failed to bring in big bucks for any players in the summer.
The feel good factor around the club would be gone and it would be a risk getting in the next manager

If he goes to Newcastle then they will need those deep pockets imo.
Compo for our manager and his back room team will run into millions.
No idea who we go for if he leaves though, there’s literally no one in Scotland who is suitable and can’t see anyone leaving a big club to come to Scotland even if it is a plum job.

Got to be a strong shout to go to them but they’ve got to go through a re-build and there’s a possibility they’ll go down this season.

Not sure he’d really want to go there as a long-term project as then the Liverpool job when Koop leaves doesn’t quite fit time-wise.

How much would we be looking at in compo?
I think the board would be desperate for him to go after we failed to bring in big bucks for any players in the summer.
The feel good factor around the club would be gone and it would be a risk getting in the next manager
If we got similar to what they got for Rodgers (9 million by reports add a couple of million as Newcastle are now loaded)it's a deal that will be done imo.

If it happens and I wouldn't want it to, at least it would be to a club who you could absolutely take the lady's front bottom out of in terms of compensation. If they make a move, make it public and they will not want their first act as owners to fail to secure their first choice.

If it happens and I wouldn't want it to, at least it would be to a club who you could absolutely take the lady's front bottom out of in terms of compensation. If they make a move, make it public and they will not want their first act as owners to fail to secure their first choice.
He is contracted so any compensation would be a set amount.

For what it's worth i think they will go for experience

Very high chance of getting relegated with the current squad. You can spend £100+ and stand still in the EPL no bother as we have seen with the likes of Everton.

He wants the Liverpool job and I don’t see being part of a management team that takes Newcastle down improving his chances of that gig.

This reads like heart over head to me.

If he takes Newcastle from relegation fodder to midtable, that improves his chances of being in the mix for the Liverpool job post Klopp. Far more than winning a few more trophies with us and getting horsed in the CL group stages will.

As far as the remit for the Newcastle job atm. It's all about steadying the ship and getting the best out of the group he's got there. They aren't going to drastically improve over one window. They can improve results short term, then post January and start rebuilding. He's shown in Europe in recent seasons that he is capable of squeezing the best out of limited players. Particularly in his first two seasons.

No one is expecting him to take them to trophies in short order. It took Manchester City about 5 years but the Premier League is a much different league now than it was back then.

Newcastle are a at least a 3 year project. If he thinks he can progress them and then get Liverpool it might just happen. One other matter is his family still in the Liverpool so the commute has been drastically cut. Plus this is just my thoughts I think he’s a man with other places in his mind just now. He’s looking around at this tin pot league and thinking it’s time for a change. However it’s still fraught with danger on taking on a club in free fall. Plus I still think he’s a manager that needs more experience for the EPL.

Zidane?

Behave. He’s by trophy haul one of the most decorated managers of all time, he’s not going to Newcastle to try and drag a dreadful side out of a relegation scrap. He wouldn’t even pick up the phone.

They won’t be able to jump to someone at that elite level right away, which is potentially why Gerrard is a more realistic target imo.
Was hoping… I’d say Conte is just as unlikely but you don’t know how much money they are throwing at these guys, I’d imagine whoever goes in now is getting a tidy bonus for keeping them up as well

Newcastle are a at least a 3 year project. If he thinks he can progress them and then get Liverpool it might just happen. One other matter is his family still in the Liverpool so the commute has been drastically cut. Plus this is just my thoughts I think he’s a man with other places in his mind just now. He’s looking around at this tin pot league and thinking it’s time for a change. However it’s still fraught with danger on taking on a club in free fall. Plus I still think he’s a manager that needs more experience for the EPL.

They are only really 3 points off of 17th atm. With a shit load of matches left to navigate. It's not like they are sitting bottom on zero points. Norwich, Burnley, Leeds United, Southampton, Crystal Palace and Watford are all in the mix down there. A massive influx of cash in January could see them pull ahead out of that lot. All hypotheticals of course but it's not a lost cause.

I don't want him to leave. At all, but realistically he gets offered the correct terms at Newcastle. He'd back himself to go down there and turn things around.

If Gerrard left I would not be too disappointed I'd most likely praise him for winning 55 managers have a shelf life in football, was it not Dick Advocaat that said after four years the players do not listen as much.

I find the point people keep making about Gerrard not wanting to manage another team v Liverpool, a bit daft. What do you think he would be thinking if we played them in europe ? he would be desperate to win for a number of reasons one of them being to prove hes good enough to be their manager.

Hopefully not, but looking through this thread and others, it does seem as though he ticks a lot of boxes for them.

Newcastle is roughly 30 minutes closer to Liverpool than Glasgow mate.

From Gerrards point of view - if and it’s a big if Newcastle want him- imagine he took the job in January , but still couldn’t stop Newcastle being relegated, very possible. What a start that would be in England as a manager and it virtually ends any chance of ever getting the anfield hot seat.

I do think Gerrard will be away this summer regardless of what happens for us this season. Four years for him up here will be plenty.
Totally agree with first paragraph. This Newcatle team are dug meat and even with the Arab money they have 1 transfer window to avoid relegation.
If Stevie is going anywhere it will be replace Klopp and that might be a couple of seasons off.

Post in here before said the commute from Newcastle is similar to that from Glasgow!
About 3 hours. Not sure about the state of the highway from Newcastle!
I'm thinking more from SGs side. He wants the Liverpool job so taking over Newcastle might stop that as they wont budge on a big comp payment.

You are right, Klopp's going to be a hard act to follow
Apparently both Gerrard and Klopp have contracts expiring at the same time in 2023.
Coincidence?

i can't believe people are accepting it if he leaves,
SG is the best thing to happen to us for years (thanks to King)
i personally would be gutted if he left, and ,by the way,
who replaces him and has the reputation he has.
Yeah I feel the same mate and I dread to think who will be next in

But I do think we should be pissing the league right now. Yes we are top but come back this season no where near as hungry... I do start to wonder has he took as far as he can? Hope he hasn't of course

If Stevie is going anywhere it will be replace Klopp and that might be a couple of seasons off.
Have to disagree with you i think it is just a coincidence about contracts running the same time. Yes i think he would jump at the chance of the Anfield Job but he is a man with a very good head on his shoulders. I think he will want another few years experience at another job after us. Would imagine it will be at the next level at a team who competes in last 8 of Europa league or Champions League group regular team.

SG will quickly outgrow us but I think and hope the Newcastle Job is not quite the opportunity he is looking for.

I actually think this will probably happen. There isn't a great rivalry between newcastle and liverpool. It wont affect liverpool fans opinion on SG for him to manage there. It may even reassure them that he can manage at what they perceive to be a higher level

He hasnt had money to spend this season, everything that can go gone re injuries and covid has gone wrong and the pressure is starting to mount given our slow start. If newcastle come in for him my head tells me he goes
I was pretty relaxed about this at first, but have begun to feel that if they approached him he wouldn’t just dismiss it out of hand.

They’re another big club with a fanatical fanbase and he may very well view it as a bigger stepping stone towards the Liverpool job.

Succeed down there and he’s probably a shoe-in for Anfield when Klopp leaves.

However, succeeding is the tricky bit. As much as the Saudis will throw massive amounts of cash at it, Newcastle won’t transform into title winners overnight. It didn’t happen for Chelsea or Man City. Instead it took a bit of time and it’ll probably be the same for the Geordies too.

So if Gerrard is to be the first man in under this new regime, chances are he probably won’t be the guy who delivers the success the new owners crave and then where does that leave his career in terms of the job he really wants?

For what it’s worth I don’t think the Saudis will go for Gerrard anyway as he’s still relatively untested at a higher level, but stranger things have happened - whoever thought he’d become our manager?

To be fair, Newcastle would and is an extremely exciting project for any manager. I think that it ticks a lot of boxes for him.

Stevie G won't take that job. He's not going to want to manage a side that's going to be competing with Liverpool for trophies

They may not be competing against Liverpool or any premiership team.

Newcastle could very well be playing championship football next season.

If Gerrard goes so be it, won’t hold it against him after last years win. Jon Dahl Tomasson would be first choice, especially after his sides two performances against us.

i can't believe people are accepting it if he leaves,
SG is the best thing to happen to us for years (thanks to King)
i personally would be gutted if he left, and ,by the way,
who replaces him and has the reputation he has.

We’re on a steady slide and it really feels like his time is coming to a natural conclusion, I think he himself may not be planning on going beyond this season. But by ‘reputation’ you mean the size of his name? Because we don’t need a big name, just a good manager who can take us forward. Certainly no man or name is bigger than the club.

By the way people need to get this Liverpool nonsense out of their heads. It’s as if people think Gerrard’s been promised the job as soon as Klopp goes. He’s not going to be thinking about Liverpool when he makes his next move.

If Gerrard left I would not be too disappointed I'd most likely praise him for winning 55 managers have a shelf life in football, was it not Dick Advocaat that said after four years the players do not listen as much.
Dick is on his 25th job since 1980 how the fvck would he know?

They may not be competing against Liverpool or any premiership team.

Newcastle could very well be playing championship football next season.
Well with a budget of 300 billion they will be competing within 5 years. Whether they go down this year or not

I don't think they will go down they will sign 3 or 4 players in Jan. Lingaard, Son, players of that standard

I can’t quite believe what I’m reading on this thread!!

The amount of fans happy for Gerrard to go is frightening remember what we were like before he came in?

He has given us our standards back as a club and I know we all don’t like the way the team is playing just now but we are still top and there was always going to be a hangover of some sort this season also add to covid and multiple injuries.

Be very careful what you wish for we could end up with a Davidson from St Johnstone and while he might be a decent manager he doesn’t have the stature to carry being Rangers manager.

A matter of weeks ?
We are in mid October and it's been a gradual, unaddressed slide since the title win.
Arguably form dropped off long before the league was even won. We had a handful of great performances from January to May .

It’s been poor this season in the main form wise

If Newcastle come for Gerrard, he'd be away, in my opinion, and take his entire backroom team and staff with him.

On the face of it, this combined with a squad that's needing a complete overhaul, would be potentially catastrophic.

Let's just hope Wilson has planned for this possibility, which, to be fair, is his job.

The thought of the above, added to our terrible form, which makes qualifying for the CL look uncertain, make these very uneasy times.

Somebody cheer me up, please!

If Newcastle come for Gerrard, he'd be away, in my opinion, and take his entire backroom team and staff with him.

On the face of it, this combined with a squad that's needing a complete overhaul, would be potentially catastrophic.

Let's just hope Wilson has planned for this possibility, which, to be fair, is his job.

The thought of the above, added to our terrible form, which makes qualifying for the CL look uncertain, make these very uneasy times.

I'm not sure anything could cheer up someone with such a ridiculously negative outlook on things.

That’s Wilson’s remit he has to have the next guy ready imo if not he should be out a job.

The idea that Gerrard leaving us in the middle of October wouldn't be an unmitigated disaster is the kind of lunacy beyond comprehension.

Back