What's the deal with qualification from the EL group?

Alcatraz Loyal

My son just told me if we finish 2nd in the group then we go to a play off against a 3rd place team in the Champions league with the winner going into the EL knockout stages and the loser going out of Europe altogether.

At the same time if we finish 3rd in the group then we go into the knockout stages of the conference league.

Surely that's not right?

My son just told me if we finish 2nd in the group then we go to a play off against a 3rd place team in the Champions league with the winner going into the EL knockout stages and the loser going out of Europe altogether.

At the same time if we finish 3rd in the group then we go into the knockout stages of the conference league.

Surely that's not right?
Can’t help you but I think I read that earlier. Seems potentially better to be third and maybe win summat

Surely that's not right?
The winners of the group get a bye effectively. If we finish second it’s just a standard two leg tie. No idea why they are calling it a playoff round though.

Correct. The play off round is basically replacing the last 32 round.
The group winners don’t play again until the last 16 round.
They said a bit about it on TV after the game tonight.
Yeah I think people are getting confused by it being referred to as a play off.

It is, in essence, the exact same as the Last 32 knockout round in previous years, but the group winners get a bye past this round and go directly to the Last 16.

If we finish 3rd, we drop into the equivalent playoff/Last 32 stage of the Conference League.

Can’t help you but I think I read that earlier. Seems potentially better to be third and maybe win summat
I said this in the match thread. There’s very little difference in direct UEFA income from Europa to Conference League, and theoretically a better chance to progress further. With one eye on the coefficient and the need to keep it ticking over for direct ECL entrance, the only result from this group which is a disaster is going out.

3rd may well be more advantageous actually than 2nd.

I said this in the match thread. There’s very little difference in direct UEFA income from Europa to Conference League, and theoretically a better chance to progress further. With one eye on the coefficient and the need to keep it ticking over for direct ECL entrance, the only result from this group which is a disaster is going out.

There is a reasonable difference

Would need to play 3/4 rounds I think to make the same as finishing 2nd and getting through the "play off"

Possibly 3rd is better in terms of gate money as in theory better chance of going an extra round or two but there are some big teams in conference so no easy games really - look at Roma and Spurs tonight.

Surely ttha
It's not wrong

Finish 1st - in Europa League last 16 and play next in March
Finish 2nd - in Europa League but play next in Feb, win tie and in last 16. Lose tie out of Europe.
Finish 3rd - in Conference League but play next in Feb, win tie and in last 16. Lose tie out of Europe.
On top euro form of last few years we’d have a chance of winning conference. No chance of winning EL sadly.

Surely that's not right?

Pretty much correct. Agree about finishing 3rd. Wouldn't be the worst year to be unlucky 3rd placed finishers on a big points total. Prize money isn't much different until you get to the sems of the EL, which we wouldn't reach anyway.

UEFA Conference League no way we entering that surely? That's for poppers only, an idea thought up by Uefa to keep the poppers from grumping about how 'the elite' get preferential treatment above everything else.
Playing in that competition after xmas is something we should consider sending the reserve team into when we are chasing a pot of gold in next seasons CL.

There is a reasonable difference

Would need to play 3/4 rounds I think to make the same as finishing 2nd and getting through the "play off"
From memory it’s somewhere around £300,000 winning bonus difference or something like that. So going even one further round or two in the Conference is roughly equivalent before you even take gate receipts in.

From memory it’s somewhere around £300,000 winning bonus difference or something like that. So going even one further round or two in the Conference is roughly equivalent before you even take gate receipts in.

The market share pot is much larger in the EL. Not sure how that is distributed in the knocnk out stages

The europa league last 16 has €14m TV broadcasting money which is split between however many countries are represented then split again per club. So say there is 10 countries represented, and we are the only Scottish club, we would get €1.4m. And it continues like that through all the knockout rounds

The Conference league only has €23m TV pot for the entire tournament, split in the same way

Last edited:
Reactions: GF7
The market share pot is much larger in the EL. Not sure how that is distributed in the knocnk out stages
I can’t remember, but I do know a thread a few months ago had the breakdown of revenue between the 3 comps. Obviously the big money was in the ECL, but I was surprised - as were a few - of the lack of a similar massive gap in revenue between Europa and Conference.

Third would be better for us than second , strangely. If we win in Denmark third is almost gauranteed
Win in Denmark and 2nd would be in our own hands and ours by end of matchday 5 if we then beat Sparta at home. Draw in 2 weeks time and 3rd becomes more likely. Lose and we might need something against Lyon last match to guarantee Europe after Xmas at whichever level.

Win in Denmark and 2nd would be in our own hands and ours by end of matchday 5 if we then beat Sparta at home. Draw in 2 weeks time and 3rd becomes more likely. Lose and we might need something against Lyon last match to guarantee Europe after Xmas at whichever level.

If we draw in Denmark we will still finish 2nd with a 2 goal win over Prague. No way they are getting a result in France

UEFA Conference League no way we entering that surely? That's for poppers only, an idea thought up by Uefa to keep the poppers from grumping about how 'the elite' get preferential treatment above everything else.
Playing in that competition after xmas is something we should consider sending the reserve team into when we are chasing a pot of gold in next seasons CL.
No idea what poppers are, maybe what you are smoking?? Play our reserves in a major European competition we have a realistic chance of winning, no way that's happening!!

Conference has been a great addition, just a shame our League is so crap none of our teams made it!

Are you old enough to remember when there were three European tournaments then the Intertoto came along in addition?

Genuinely happy if we get enough points to finish 3rd and go into the conference league. If the draw works out we have a chance of getting a couple rounds further than we would facing a CL dropout in the EL. I’m a realist but accept the “we don’t do 3rd division” patter that will come my way :rolleyes:

Although conference isn’t where we want to be I’d like to see the financials for each tournamemt

Like would it be more financially better to go a round or two further in the conference than finish 2nd and be put out by a 3rd placed team (assuming we would)

Obviously we want to finish as high as we can and accept nothing less

We have done really poorly wrt. coefficient this season imo and have to focus game by game now to lift our numbers . This season is dwarfed by the previous few isn’t it .

Come on Gers let’s get on a roll again .

Although conference isn’t where we want to be I’d like to see the financials for each tournamemt

Like would it be more financially better to go a round or two further in the conference than finish 2nd and be put out by a 3rd placed team (assuming we would)

I’d imagine coefficient bonuses and prize money lifts are included for the best places in the groups

Last edited:
I still don’t think this system is fair.

The playoff round in the EL is not like the last 32 round in previous seasons as you can only draw UCL 3rd place teams. Last time you could even draw teams that finished 2nd in the EL. This is a huge difference and a huge disadvantage.

Prize money is actually pretty similar, would much rather see us carry on in the Europa but financially it could maybe be more rewarding in the conference. However it’s not as easy as some say and a bad draw could see us out

Conference:
  • Knockout round play-offs: €300,000
  • Round of 16: €600,000
  • Quarter-final: €1,000,000
  • Semi-final: €2,000,000
  • Runner-up: €3,000,000
  • Champion: €5,000,000

Europa:

• Knockout round play-offs: €500,000
  • Round of 16: €1,200,000
  • Quarter-final: €1,800,000
  • Semi-final: €2,800,000
  • Runner-up: €4,600,000
  • Champion: €8,600,000

Absolute nonsense. European football should always be taken seriously. There were three competitions for decades, and we'd rightly bang on for ages if we'd won the Fairs cup as well as the CWC.

Winning a European Trophy in our 150th year, on the 50th anniversary of Barcelona, and the first Scottish club to win two European trophies, would be huge. Our grandkids would talk about it.

Aye, poppers like Tottenham...

Think the point of it is to try and get teams fighting for 1st place instead of them thinking Fck it 2nd will do. Probably to make round 6 of the group stages a bit more interesting.

The Conference is a joke of a tournament. And direct UEFA prize money is only a small chunk of the money you get from competing in Europe.

Absolute nonsense. European football should always be taken seriously. There were three competitions for decades, and we'd rightly bang on for ages if we'd won the Fairs cup as well as the CWC.

Winning a European Trophy in our 150th year, on the 50th anniversary of Barcelona, and the first Scottish club to win two European trophies, would be huge. Our grandkids would talk about it.
Indeed.

The arrogance of some of our fans to want to chuck away the chance at a European trophy doesn't suggest we've only won one in our history.

Of course the league is vital, especially so this season, but if anything Europe has raised our standards domestically and we should and will treat it seriously

The Conference is a joke of a tournament. And direct UEFA prize money is only a small chunk of the money you get from competing in Europe.
It’s not, I don’t know why Rangers fans would turn their nose up at any European football as far into a tournament as we could go. I’d love to win it, but have a look at some of the teams and you’d see that’s not a joke any more to do.

As for money, gate receipts etc are factored in and the question is… at what point would a potentially longer Conference knockout run be better (other than the obvious coefficient boost) financially against a very difficult Europa League knockout run.

Rangers need to try and win every game and trophy we play in. That’s what’s made us a big name in europe. I’d take your point the other way round mate. Slack off in the league once it’s won so we can focus on a couple of finals.

Back