Tav! Mark the guy out wide!

TN8

Does this happen where anybody else sits?

Thought it was just my clueless auld man and the guy next to him that did this, but heard a few others at it last night as well.

When the opposition have the ball on our left hand side and Tav is tucked in - obviously to keep us compact - and sometimes their winger will be out on the touchline in alot of space. Watch him Tav! Mark him! Who's marking the number 7!

Don't understand how some folk can watch football so often but be so fucking clueless. And yes, I've tried explaining to my da that it's not a game of 5s and not every player can be touch tight to their direct opponent at all times. Still shouts it 5 minutes later.

Fair do’s that’s your opinion but I’m at the touch line and at the weekend there Borna and Bacuna were affording Michael Smith free reign down our left side. If the player can get out quick enough to close him down then it’s fine but we’ve all seen evidence of us not blocking a cross this season which has led to a goal.

Fair do’s that’s your opinion but I’m at the touch line and at the weekend there Borna and Bacuna were affording Michael Smith free reign down our left side. If the player can get out quick enough to close him down then it’s fine but we’ve all seen evidence of us not blocking a cross this season which has led to a goal.
So you'd genuinely want our back 4 to be spread across the full width of the pitch to mark a full-back when the ball is on the other side?

Coach that with kids sides (on full size pitches)!! Ball is on one side, the defence tucks in from the other. Unless they can shell crossfield passes from one touchline to the other in under two seconds, then you're okay!!

Coach that with kids sides!! Ball is on one side, the defence tucks in from the other. Unless they can shell crossfield passes from one touchline to the other in under two seconds, then you're okay!!
Exactly, got taught it in primary school!

The defence has to pull over to the side of the park the ball is on otherwise there will be spaces right across the defence. It's better to have the space available on the opposite wing of play (Tavs side) as if the opposition plays a crossfield ball it will give the defence the time to shuffle over to the other side. It's simple.

I'm still amazed that after 3 years fans haven't grasped the way we play in Europe yet,we play narrow and allow teams to have the wide areas so we remain compact,it's done us well through Gerrard's time here.
Most noticeable for me was Braga away. It was obvious we didn't want the full backs to go out and end up 1v1 with players like Trincao on the wing because they are likely to get past us and drive in to the box. Better to hold the line, keep position and force the winger to either cross it or give time for a midfielder to get back in. The worst thing to do is to completely sell the full back.

Think people are still dreaming of Candeias covering as a wing back.

We dont play with wide midfielders, it’s going to happen. Even in the midfield with a cross field pass, Aribo/Kamara or whoever will have to shuffle across.

Aye, totally.

I was in the MF last night, and I mean it did break down on his side a couple of times, and a couple of issues were his fault, their players cruised past him a few times, but there were instances when he was clearly tucked in and no one had bothered to go and press the player putting the ball in and the shouts were just wild and a lot aimed at him.

It isn't just him exclusive though, it can be applied across the park.

A lot of people who attend our games who are vocal, really do expose themselves to be thick as fck when trying to be critical of players.

If a game is pish I try and amuse myself by working out what it is people want us to achieve and it generally seems to consist of

GK - BOOT, WIDE, PUNT, SEND IT, INTO THE BOX AND SHOOT from literally anywhere on the park, so in reality we would never actually have possession of the ball but instead just a constant cycle of punt ball with every players first touch either being a pass or shot.

So aye, OP I feel your pain.

So you'd genuinely want our back 4 to be spread across the full width of the pitch to mark a full-back when the ball is on the other side?

I’ll flip the question, how many times have we seen Alfie or Hagi hit a diagonal across to Tav in acres of space and we get a goal from his cross or play? Or Goldson over to Kent running in behind his fullback?

I’m not saying there’s nothing wrong with being compact as a back 4 but there needs to be an acknowledgment that there is a risk you let someone in behind.

I thought the title thread was our own Mr Dingwall in press conference conversation with the captain :))

My usual question in our European escapades is “ Tav, why are you the furthest forward when we’re 1 - 0 up with five minutes to go”?
But that’s for another day.

Nothing compare to the guy behind me shouting at “morales” all night.

Also felt my nerves go every time he called Barasic Bazza.

But we are usually "compact" when that goal goes in. ;)

Thought it was just my clueless auld man and the guy next to him that did this, but heard a few others at it last night as well.

When the opposition have the ball on our left hand side and Tav is tucked in - obviously to keep us compact - and sometimes their winger will be out on the touchline in alot of space. Watch him Tav! Mark him! Who's marking the number 7!

Don't understand how some folk can watch football so often but be so fucking clueless. And yes, I've tried explaining to my da that it's not a game of 5s and not every player can be touch tight to their direct opponent at all times. Still shouts it 5 minutes later.
Yep it was a wingback setup and with our MF narrowed in the guy gets to get onto the ball unchallenged and the chance to run at our back line .

It’s going to happen sometimes it’s just part of our setup and risk list .

Aye, totally.

I was in the MF last night, and I mean it did break down on his side a couple of times, and a couple of issues were his fault, their players cruised past him a few times, but there were instances when he was clearly tucked in and no one had bothered to go and press the player putting the ball in and the shouts were just wild and a lot aimed at him.

It isn't just him exclusive though, it can be applied across the park.

A lot of people who attend our games who are vocal, really do expose themselves to be thick as fck when trying to be critical of players.

If a game is pish I try and amuse myself by working out what it is people want us to achieve and it generally seems to consist of

GK - BOOT, WIDE, PUNT, SEND IT, INTO THE BOX AND SHOOT from literally anywhere on the park, so in reality we would never actually have possession of the ball but instead just a constant cycle of punt ball with every players first touch either being a pass or shot.

So aye, OP I feel your pain.
I used to have a guy in front of me who used to virtually go purple because Amoruso wouldn't shoot every time he crossed the halfway line. "He's got the power", "Naebody closes him down", "keeper's aff his line (6 yards)". All sorts of stuff....every game.

Some folk just don't really understand football and formations/tactics.

You get people on here who proudly admit they don't watch football other than Rangers and wear it like a badge of honour.

Best ignored.
They’re easy to spot and good for a laugh tbf

I’ll flip the question, how many times have we seen Alfie or Hagi hit a diagonal across to Tav in acres of space and we get a goal from his cross or play? Or Goldson over to Kent running in behind his fullback?

I’m not saying there’s nothing wrong with being compact as a back 4 but there needs to be an acknowledgment that there is a risk you let someone in behind.
Morelos and Goldson switch play quite regularlly. The danger with switching play is the amount of time the ball is in the air gives defenders the chance to intercept and set a counter attack in.

Morelos and Goldson switch play quite regularlly. The danger with switching play is the amount of time the ball is in the air gives defenders the chance to intercept and set a counter attack in.
That's why the top players in the world in those positions need to have excellent first touches because the pace on these crossfield balls at the top level is incredible and relies on the other wingback controlling it first time.

That's why the top players in the world in those positions need to have excellent first touches because the pace on these crossfield balls at the top level is incredible and relies on the other wingback controlling it first time.
Indeed. The way the modern players can kill a ball on their chest is truly amazing. My second touch was always a slide tackle.:))

Indeed. The way the modern players can kill a ball on their chest is truly amazing. My second touch was always a slide tackle.:))
Nothing better than seeing a good first touch. Always think you could do it then was at a Junior game and tried to kick the ball back and mixed the fucking thing. Chance have a I got controlling a cross field pass :D

I used to sit in front of a group of old punters who’d scream “shoot” “fucking hit it!” when any of our players had barely passed the halfway line so nothing surprises me.

Last season when our full-backs tucked in to support the central defenders our wide players or one of the midfielders would step back to fill the space. That has not happened as much this season. Last night, the left winger they brought on, Riveros, was causing a few problems initially but it got sorted when Wright came on and played wide right. These old guys some times know better.

The number of people at Ibrox who genuinely don't have a clue about the game of football is absolutely incredible

In the 1st half Davo got the ball and was driving forward - he was about 40 yards out and the boy next to me was screaming at him to shoot. Baffling

and Tav gets it especially bad from people. People give absolutely 0 credit to opposition players who go past him, last night he got absolutely slated for getting done for pace by the boy down the left

You're not on your own mate.

More than a few around me.

That sounds like the guy that was sitting behind me in BR1 last night. Did nothing but moan the entire match. I thought those types only existed on FF.

Mate are you actually serious? Watch any game of football at a decent level and the opposite fullback always tucks in. I've played centre half for 20 years and no manager or coach will ever have a defence spread across the the whole width of the park as there is to much space for runs in between the full back and the centre the half. The only exception to this would be back 5.

First and foremost you defend your goal, so obviously he, or any other fullback, should tuck in as that’s where the most danger is.

Absolutely baffles me at how little people can understand basics and would rather he stood out wide leaving a 25 yard hole for folk to run into.

These same guys will spit feathers when "clueless" women are present in the studio aswell :D

the tactic works well against the middle of the road teams but it becomes a problem when you get a good team that have pace and are able to switch play quickly. Suddenly we become very stretched

Always used to be a thing in amateur football. A player 5 steps in from the touch line would try to jump 100ft in the air to get his head to the ball, when he could take 5 steps back and easily control on his chest.

Mate are you actually serious? Watch any game of football at a decent level and the opposite fullback always tucks in. I've played centre half for 20 years and no manager or coach will ever have a defence spread across the the whole width of the park as there is to much space for runs in between the full back and the centre the half. The only exception to this would be back 5.

Read my next reply, nothing wrong with being compact but need to be aware of runner on outside, something

Did you read my post after? I’ve said it already, nothing wrong with shifting over/being compact however you need to be aware there’s the risk of a runner in behind. Malmö away, Tav tucks in but no-one tracks their midfielder and he scores.

Even Tav going forward last season, look how high he got up the pitch and attacked the back post.

It’s not the worst shout from fans considering what we’ve already witnessed this year, if they’re giving Tav abuse for it then different matter but being vocal about what’s happening in front of you I’ve got nothing wrong with that.

Back