Europa league opponents

Do the Gibraltar teams play European games in Gibraltar?

I think I'm thinking about their national team, didn't they play qualifiers in Portugal as their ground was too small or something ?

Maybe rectified now

Be a good trip.
We had a chance of drawing Lincoln Red Imps last year and from memory if we did the game was to be in the Estadio Algarve in Faro.

Yes they play games in Gibraltar at the Victoria Stadium the only ground suitable to host both European and International games, Lincoln Red Imps beat them at it in 2016 however it currently been modernised to met the criteria set by UEFA and FIFa and they are currently playing games in Faro, Portugal

Thanks @rangeral , full of knowledge as ever! The half day will be going in!

Worth noting that the fixtures aren't released until a few hours after the draw.

I.e. home and away can change and day can change from a thursday.

Might not be a need for a half day. @rangeral might be able to confirm that.

Worth noting that the fixtures aren't released until a few hours after the draw.

I.e. home and away can change and day can change from a thursday.

Might not be a need for a half day. @rangeral might be able to confirm that.

Yeah it’s definately worth waiting for UEFA to confirm. Last year they said originally it was going to be an earlier ko so I booked a flight back to London for around 9pm but the game was moved to the regular time meaning me not bothering with that flight and having to go on a bus to Germany after the match to get an early morning flight to London as my connection to Edinburgh was leaving London mid morning

I’m optimistic. Then again, I was at this stage last year too..

We really need to get our business done early to be as well prepared for these games as possible. Would love for us to qualify for the groups.

Some of the possible opponents do look frightening, however clubs like Burnley etc will probably take it lightly and field weakened sides.

Progres Niederkorn, AEL Limassol, Austria Vienna and Osijek would have been our path last season. It can be done.

Qualifying for the group stage would be an incredible achievement and one we’ll need plenty of luck in the draw to make happen.

I think the benefit of last years shambles is that we will approach every match with complete professionalism. We can’t risk any complacency.

Fingers crossed we can do it, the financial benefit will be significant.

Even if the filth don’t make the CL, it’s rigged to ensure they have an easy route to the EL groups - we can’t keep giving them this financial advantage each summer.

Let's hope the draw gods are good to us on Wednesday. Garbage teams and not difficult to get to for the sake of the players.

There are some mouth watering possibilities in there, but I hope we get an easy route to the group stages before we meet the big guns

I know, Took three days for Progres to be confirmed but I thought that was due to the situation with their pitch.

it is possible that by Wednesday night that we could know dates but as you say other factors like what you have stated as also taken into account

In the qualifiers it is really up to the clubs to sort things out with the help of UEFA as well

Hoping we’re away from home on the 12th (purely for selfish reasons - I am in turkey and will miss the game)

Then back on the 15th so can make the home leg if we are away first.

A team from Northern Ireland (yes, I include 'Derry' City in that) in the 1st round with the away leg first, Burnley in the 2nd round and a team from Romania in the 3rd round as I'm over there on business when that round is played. Get some proper use out of my Travel Club membership.

Hoping we’re away from home on the 12th (purely for selfish reasons - I am in turkey and will miss the game)

Then back on the 15th so can make the home leg if we are away first.
I’m hoping for the opposite can’t get the 1st
leg off work to travel abroad.

Are all the games for qualifiers necessarily the Thursday or possibilities of Tuesday/Wednesday?

Hope we get to play Randers, they have been hovering around the euro qualifiers for a few years. Rangers V Randers.

A team from Northern Ireland (yes, I include 'Derry' City in that) in the 1st round with the away leg first, Burnley in the 2nd round and a team from Romania in the 3rd round as I'm over there on business when that round is played. Get some proper use out of my Travel Club membership.
If we draw Burnley in the 2nd round then im afraid we wont be reaching the 3rd round pal.

We will make the group stage.

There, I said it.

Another couple of players in advanced positions and we will have a squad capable of mounting a challenge.

I admire you're optimism however I think it's all going to be down to the luck of the draw.

Avoid Sevilla, Zenit, Beskitas, Feyenoord, RB Leipzeg etc and we've got a real chance. If we draw any of these teams then it's fair to say our hopes of advancing are going to be slim.

Reading the list of potential opponents shows just how hard it will be just to make the group stage.
1st Ql round, fair enough I think we'll win whoever we draw.
2nd Ql round I fancy our chances against about 2/3 of likely opponents
3rd Ql round I fancy our chances against about 1/3 of likely opponents
Play offs I reckon we have a 50/50 chance against half of the seeded teams

So purely on arithmetic 2/3 x 1/3 x 1/2 x 1/2 gives us a 1 in 36 chance or about 3%. Of course, once we see the manager's team forming I'll become much more optimistic. And a favourable draw makes things much better. All pointless speculation but like everyone else, I'm desperate for a return of those European nights

2/36 is a 1 in 18 chance or about 6%.

Our chances of qualifying just doubled :D

@DeeGer10, lovely piece of work mate and shows what we are up against when you see how far some of these teams are into their season. You do know that people will be onto you regards flight schedules and hotels as well.. :p

Back