Confidence at us winning the league this season

It’s funny. I have a mate who has more or less said it doesn’t matter who we sign this season (the assumption being it won’t be serious game changers on £50k plus a week), we won’t win the league.

I said we have a better keeper, Goldson at least looks a definite step up at centre half, Arfield is bound to improve our midfield options and some likely squad improvements amongst the other signings. I added that let’s say (obviously no clue how likely these are, but there has been chat on here) we added McAuley, Davis, Wilson and Woodburn on loan and one striker who has a consistently decent scoring record in recent seasons in a reasonable league.

I said what do you think now?

He said we will definitely get second, hopefully beat them at some point in the season and maybe a cup, but we will definitely not win the league.

Maybe I’m naive but if we improve our defensive record and can be more creative in the bigger matches, surely we can definitely win it? Those kind of signings would do that, no?

For the third season in a row we’ll be asking the third manager in a row to bed in 11 new players and hit the ground running in August and September. It’ll take a lot if luck to be neck and neck with them at Christmas. Failing that we’ll just need to keep the faith we currently have in the manager. Many won’t.

The midfield and attack hasn’t changed much so far, so I don’t see us winning it this season unless we sign about 3 or 4 quality players of a higher level than we have signed so far.
Agreed. I think it’s highly unlikely. Won’t stop a bit of me thinking it though. Fans however need to accept some setbacks. The press will be waiting to pounce on these, we must give him decent time. However wholesale pumpings against them must be consigned to history. I expect decent progress and no more.

As things stand I don't think we have nearly enough.

However it's early yet, ask me again once the transfer window is closed.

I always think we are winning the league.

Just can't understand why we are not one striker away from being title favourites if we avoid injuries.

I'd have a lamppost before Lustig at full back so we've 3 better than their first choice.

I'd have my mum before that thing that plays for Belgium. So McAuley would be a step up and the other 2 should be much better.

Middle to front we scored most goals in the league.

Gerrard is working to improve them and the fitness.

He was a midfield Everything so should improve that aspect and knows what that entails.

I can't see how we don't win the league if we don't lose anyone else and sign another striker.... Barring bad injuries.

All that said.
Rangers fans.
Celtic fans.
Every bookie known to man has us at well under 20% chance of winning the league.

So I'm obviously a crackpot.

Defensively we appear to be stronger .

However, so far we havent signed any real quality either in midfield or attack . We were significantly behind them in all departments.

I seen some posts saying we don't need to improve our midfield . Absolute madness , we were overrun every single game v them. We need more quality in , 2 or 3 real quality players as currently we look Good enough for second place . No more.

As things stand right now we've NO CHANCE of winning the league.

Sign a deadly Striker, a midfield dynamo, and a winger that can take a man on and hit the byline then I might be tempted to give us a fighting chance.

But right now as things stand we're not even close.

Edit: A Jelavic, a Davis and an Aluko.

We've just signed 2 highly rated young 6ft plus centre backs for over 5m (one a full international), the current Scotland goalie and a wb who admittedly needs to find his fitness and form again but only 3 years ago was on fire in the epl. More quality in defence? We were also the top scorers in the league last season. Whilst more quality will undoubtedly come in in the forward areas (Gerrard is on record stating he will strengthen that area) we weren't exactly chronic in front of goal last season either. The midfield will be a helluva lot stronger this season too with rossitter and arfield in it. I can't be the only one really positive about the season ahead surely? This place is depressing as feck at times.

Is Allan McGregor the current Scotland Number 1? I honestly don’t watch Scotland, but he’s only had 12 caps since he left us 6 years ago and only had 4 in the last 3 seasons. Gordon had 7 in 2017 compared to McGregor’s 1.

Never say never and all that.
I actually struggle to believe we’ve no chance to be honest.
If all we do is close the back door, we’ll be more than half way there.
My biggest issue, my biggest concern, is that we don’t know how the scum will react.

Trump-Pram-Website_800.png

I always think we are winning the league.

Just can't understand why we are not one striker away from being title favourites if we avoid injuries.

I'd have a lamppost before Lustig at full back so we've 3 better than their first choice.

I'd have my mum before that thing that plays for Belgium. So McAuley would be a step up and the other 2 should be much better.

Middle to front we scored most goals in the league.

Gerrard is working to improve them and the fitness.

He was a midfield Everything so should improve that aspect and knows what that entails.

I can't see how we don't win the league if we don't lose anyone else and sign another striker.... Barring bad injuries.

All that said.
Rangers fans.
Celtic fans.
Every bookie known to man has us at well under 20% chance of winning the league.

So I'm obviously a crackpot.
The problem has been the midfield, they have outpowered us.

Any of our midfielders showing good form may suffer from multiple red cards next season...i know its a long shot and i may sound paranoid, i mean surely they couldn't get away with something so obviously biased :eek::eek::eek:

It can't really be a serious debate till all our new players are in and the ones that are going to leave have left.

And of course who they sign matters and who they lose matters also.

Far too soon and all the hype some are buying into is just that-let's see how fit and improved we are when the season starts.

The problem has been the midfield, they have outpowered us.

In terms of defence there's very little between the teams.

Mid to front is where they've been destroying us and until we come up with a solution to Brown, Ntcham, Rogic and McGregor we'll be also rans.

I'm happy with the Arfield signing but Ejaria's very young and still learning his trade. We desperately need a leader in there that can dictate the tempo of a game and play the killer pass.

The appointment of Gerrard has given the whole place a much needed lift and the fact that the board are backing him financially I'm confident we will win the league this season. Celtic haven't experienced a proper challenge yet and I believe they'll crumble under the pressure.

In terms of defence there's very little between the teams.

Mid to front is where they've been destroying us and until we come up with a solution to Brown, Ntcham, Rogic and McGregor we'll be also rans.

I'm happy with the Arfield signing but Ejaria's very young and still learning his trade. We desperately need a leader in there that can dictate the tempo of a game and play the killer pass.
We haven’t had a playmaker since Davis and there has been talk of getting him, another quality player beside Arfield then we maybe match up a bit more with them, another quality striker and winger and that is the first window complete.

I don’t think it’ll happen this season personally.

I think we’ll improve, finish second, potentially even nick a cup but I don’t think we’ll win the league.

The reason I say that, is I think it’ll take us A) more than one transfer window to build a squad capable of winning the league and B) a period of time for the squad to gel together and get used to playing the way SG wants us to play.

Having said that, if we were to get to the winter break within 5 points, I’d live in hope. Purely because I think we’ll be very fit this season and as the squad really starts to gel and play the new style of football, we could just finish very strongly.

Ultimately, we’ll need a lot of things to go our way but who knows. Stranger things have happened!

I managed to get carried away the last 2 seasons. Laughable looking back considering the squads and managers we've had but it's part of being a die hard I suppose.

Big reality check and patience required this season though. Clearly standards have went up but Celtic are a settled team with a very good manager. We'll need a lot of luck along the way.

Obviously people will run in their own circles but the people I've seen saying they think we can win the league are in a very, very small minority.

I'd say most are encouraged that it seems we'll be better.

We haven’t had a playmaker since Davis and there has been talk of getting him, another quality player beside Arfield then we maybe match up a bit more with them, another quality striker and winger and that is the first window complete.

Davis for me would be a remarkable signing. He's the quality we need in there if we're serious about mounting a credible challenge for the title.

Obviously people will run in their own circles but the people I've seen saying they think we can win the league are in a very, very small minority.

I'd say most are encouraged that it seems we'll be better.

The more astute posters here on FF know as things stand we've got it all to do.

The small minority you refer to are allowing their heart to rule their head.

First is the only option. We can’t be happy with second best. We are Rangers we are here to win

We face the biggest challenge in our long and proud history to win 55.

Celtic are still some distance ahead of us on and off the park and we don't have the money to bring in the level of player required to topple them.

As Walter said.... " You have to find a way to win " Gerrard's trying to find his way but more money will have to be found from somewhere to give him the backing he requires.

I had one of the most frustrating dreams ever last night, it was akin to those dreams where you’re unable to punch someone or trying to run away but in slow motion.

It was the first game of the season and it was like watching Pedro all over again, there was nothing, we weren’t getting beat but we were creating %^*& all and I had that horrible feeling.

Anyway, I googled it today and it turns out my expectations are too high :D so from that, I’ve decided, I just want to be entertained! Whatever comes with that (naturally) is a bonus!

spot on
we need to add at least 3 quality signings, not loans, not 'with potential' we need some
finished products added to the squad
Quality finished products are not affordable or willing to come to Scotland.

Young players with potential or dynamite loans is the only way we will get anywhere

We face the biggest challenge in our long and proud history to win 55.

Celtic are still some distance ahead of us on and off the park and we don't have the money to bring in the level of player required to topple them.

As Walter said.... " You have to find a way to win " Gerrard's trying to find his way but more money will have to be found from somewhere to give him the backing he requires.
Don’t agree we are not that far behind. We lost out this season with some poor home performances and some dodgy refereeing. It won’t take much to change that

It’s funny. I have a mate who has more or less said it doesn’t matter who we sign this season (the assumption being it won’t be serious game changers on £50k plus a week), we won’t win the league.

I said we have a better keeper, Goldson at least looks a definite step up at centre half, Arfield is bound to improve our midfield options and some likely squad improvements amongst the other signings. I added that let’s say (obviously no clue how likely these are, but there has been chat on here) we added McAuley, Davis, Wilson and Woodburn on loan and one striker who has a consistently decent scoring record in recent seasons in a reasonable league.

He said we will definitely get second, hopefully beat them at some point in the season and maybe a cup, but we will definitely not win the league.

Maybe I’m naive but if we improve our defensive record and can be more creative in the bigger matches, surely we can definitely win it? Those kind of signings would do that, no?

They haven't improved from last season however they may still do,we have improved ( well on paper ) it's far too early to call.

The turn of the year will give us a better direction on how the seasons panning out,i'll wait until then.

The more astute posters here on FF know as things stand we've got it all to do.

The small minority you refer to are allowing their heart to rule their head.

My head and heart are in perfect unison on this matter. Wim Jansen managed to beat a superior and more expensive rangers team in one season, Martin O'Neill beat an absolutely outstanding and settled rangers team by assembling and gelling a squad that cost less than ours did overall, within in one transfer window. Alex McLeish then beat said more expensive and by then far better paid Celtic side by signing the right players with the right mentality and attitude, not superstars. Walter Smith took over a shambles from le guen and won the league the following year and also has titles under his belt having spent relatively little whilst facing far better Celtic sides than we face now, which many actually forget. He didn't buy all the trophies he won, he signed the right players.

The way the 'astute' majority (I'll take your word for that btw) are rambling on in their backward praise of the invincibles still being somehow untouchable this season unless we spend 20+ million would be laughable if it wasn't so cringeworthy. Both sides of the divide have won the league when written off before a ball was kicked as the other was perceived to be miles ahead before.

They admittedly have a good manager, a few very good players, some good players that compliment them and more than their fair share of dross too. The way some of you go on though its as if they have a first 11 and full bench of world class players we will never get near again in our lifetimes. Man up, be positive and support the team ffs.

Dylan is right in the sense that we won't know how things will pan out until they do. However, last season our goalie was a problem area (resolved), the defence was a problem area (6m spent on it already - only time will tell if it's resolved or not), central midfield was a problem area (jack and rossitter played very little part in it so are like new signings to me and arfield is a major improvement on holt and halliday - mcrorie and docherty are too and ejaria looks exciting). Creating and scoring goals was not a problem last season, hence why it's the last area to be tackled, but Gerrard has already stated he will improve that area too.

Considering we aren't even done in the transfer market yet and everyone to a man has been praising the way the training camp has been going coupled with the key areas we, as fans, have been screaming out to be strengthened since we returned to the top league actually being addressed I genuinely don't understand the constant negativity (by the same posters admittedly) on here. I truly don't. Of course we can win the league but, to prove Dylan's point in a way, only if these are the right players with the right mentality and attitude. How much they cost is irrelevant. Bring it on. It's time we returned to welcoming the chase as a support instead of meekly surrendering before the season even starts.

As of right now we’ve got practically no chance.

I don’t expect us to, I just want a huge improvement from what we have, no toiling for second, and we have to at least keep pressure on the scum.

But to be honest Gerrard will need to put a right good challenge in because there’ll be folk chasing him if we don’t at least come close to winning the league.

Mcgregor and Arfield should be an improvement. I say should as you never know, look how little impact Dorrans and Alves have made. End of the day we dont really know what we're getting with Goldson Katic Ejara. We have signed 7 players which IMO is alot but you still look at that sqaud and think it could be doing with another 7. Plus are we going to lose a Tav, Windass or Morelos? Theres no evidence to suggest were in a stronger position to challenge nevermind win the league. Hopefully that changes in the next few weeks an this post looks silly.

“Clear second “ is a seemingly popular opinion. That indicates we will be winning the vast majority of the 34 games that don’t involve Celtic.

Yes?

So if that’s the case, it more or less comes down to 4 matches v them. In those circumstances , we have a chance . September visit to the other side of Glasgow will give us an opportunity to gauge if we are serious challengers to secure 55.

First 4 games are probably as tough as it could get for Gerrard. If he gets off to a flier with them then who knows. It would definitely make them take notice if we were to start strong with the fixtures we have.

The midfield and attack hasn’t changed much so far, so I don’t see us winning it this season unless we sign about 3 or 4 quality players of a higher level than we have signed so far.
We scored more than anyone else last season, attacking wasn't our big weakness. With Goldson, Katic and Flannigan arriving we'll hopefully be a lot stronger at the back. Arfield with Rossiter and Jack staying fit will improve our midfield significantly and I'm looking forward to seeing what the boy Ovie Ejaria is capable of as he looks an absolute unit. We'll hopefully sign another striker even if we do get that lad from Roma.

I can't see us winning the league tho, Celtic have the ability to up their gears should we prove to be a far greater challenge this season, their squad size and budget allows them to do that but as Jimmy Greaves used to say 'it's a funny old game'

I'll always believe we can win the league. And while I think the change of manager/staff/football philosophy means it might take a couple of seasons for success, I still wouldn't be surprised if we finished the forthcoming season with 55.

To do it we need to win at least two old firm games amass at least 90 points. It can be done but it will be all about gauging momentum

We've just signed 2 highly rated young 6ft plus centre backs for over 5m (one a full international), the current Scotland goalie and a wb who admittedly needs to find his fitness and form again but only 3 years ago was on fire in the epl. More quality in defence? We were also the top scorers in the league last season. Whilst more quality will undoubtedly come in in the forward areas (Gerrard is on record stating he will strengthen that area) we weren't exactly chronic in front of goal last season either. The midfield will be a helluva lot stronger this season too with rossitter and arfield in it. I can't be the only one really positive about the season ahead surely? This place is depressing as feck at times.
I was referring to the depth of squad not first eleven

The fixtures haven’t been kind to us again for our opening games.
We must improve our home form to allow us to be in a title race.
Last season we had lost ten out of the first fifteeen points available at Ibrox.
Add to that we had been knocked out of Europe and lost the League Cup semi final to Motherwell.
It’s very hard though to hit the ground running with a new team.
That said the first five at home this time around look very winnable.

In both our present shape we will win the league however,should the make champs league group,that will change everything.

Far too early to say. I don't know how people could be definitively sure either way.

What I do know is last season - under 2 amateur managers - we were basically 2 OF wins away from finishing on equal points with them. That is with a squad that clearly didn't fully respect either manager, which lacked fitness levels and mental fortitude.

I really don't think the players played anywhere near their best last season, and they ended up allowing each others weaknesses to flourish rather than their strengths. To me, there is a very real possibility that Gerrard is going to have the same impact that Rodgers had when he went to them. Celtic were absolutely dire under Deila, and he completely turned them around.

Gerrard will know exactly how Rodgers operates behind the scenes, as do most of his coaches. He'll be able to counteract that, or possibly even replicate that within our squad.

It won't be easy, but it is very possible. I have no doubts in Gerrards ability to motivate players and fitness will clearly not be an issue. Tactics wise it's a waiting game, he will be learning on the job and mistakes will be made along the way but I believe his backroom staff are the key ingredient in this. The amount of experience they've got in the top leagues is invaluable.

I repeat, we won't know for a while yet if we are capable of winning the league, but sometimes you get a gut instinct that can't be ignored. I didn't feel it with Caixinha or Murty or McInnes. It feels like something special is happening at the club right now.

Steven Gerrard epitomises everything you want in a football player and everything you want as a leader. If he instils that same drive and determination into his squad, coupled with the right tactics, we can win the league.

Let's go Rangers!

If we put away the diddy teams, like we should, it all comes down to how we do against the tramps.

The first game at the San Giro will be a measure of our improvement, or otherwise.

In both our present shape we will win the league however,should the make champs league group,that will change everything.
I think their spend is the key element. They have weaknesses in defence, and Griffiths unhappy, Dembele’s fitness questionable, Sinclair less of an impact than the previous season and even the £100m ‘new’ signing only scored about 10 or something last season. It’s midfield where matches are won and lost against them. There’s still a gap, but hopefully it has closed before the first league match.

I think people are grossly overestimating the current celtic squad.
The only team they really impressed against, sadly, was us!
I put that down mainly to inept and incompetent management and total lack of self belief from certain players.
We're now starting afresh . . . different personnel on and off the park.
Let the dims and their media poodles keep under-estimating us . . . they may just not know what's hit them . . . till it's too late!

Back