Spurs V Chelsea VAR Audio released

The offside is very questionable, it comes down to their opinions on where the lines are drawn, which is quite subjective.
Not really, the shoulder and the foot were the nearest, usable, points on the players nearest to goal. The moving about was them moving the line by 1 pixel to the left or right until they had it lined up. When the semi-automated stuff comes in next season that will be a thing of the past anyway.

Took too long, but there were multiple incidents to review. In the end, the decisions were correct.

That's what we want isn't it, correct decisions?
I'm not sure it can be said to be "correct" when the offside is as marginal as it comes based on lines placed subjectively.

Not offside - goal stands, no red card.

Offside - red card, penalty (which could be missed).

That's the semi-automated stuff we saw in our Play-Off game v PSV at Ibrox. It was a very tight call whether Dessers was offside before playing that lovely pass to Matondo for his goal. The semi-automated VAR had the decision in under a minute and immediately had the AI generated graphic on TV. Due to be introduced in the EPL next season.

12 roof mounted cameras, up to 29 data points on each player and a microchip in the football.

Unlikely we ever see it in Scotland though.
Nah we will carry on with lines that are practically touching the corner of a six yard box at one end and a yard off it at the other up here.

I'm not sure it can be said to be "correct" when the offside is as marginal as it comes based on lines placed subjectively.

The lines are on the money. Its tight but you can see when they zoom in they have them correct. You'd rather rely on the Linesman's Mk 1 eyeball? He gave offside as the onfield decision too by the way. Something that nobody seems to mention.

They got the right decisions eventually but why are they working in reverse, that doesn’t make sense and the whole process time would have been shortened if they had looked at the incident in the correct order.

As simple as that.

There is debate over the offside. Because the images were so blurred. But it didn’t matter. It was a foul. It was a penalty
It absolutely does matter when the difference also means a red card.

The fact that people on here are debating the crosshairs, even with the chance to watch many times, shows it is not clear.

It absolutely does matter when the difference also means a red card.

The fact that people on here are debating the crosshairs, even with the chance to watch many times, shows it is not clear.
Folk are debating the cross hairs not because of what they see on the screen for that particular match though, but to re-inforce whatever their current opinion of VAR in general happens to be - generally its the naysayers who are going down the cross hairs route.

Linesman gave offside in any case, so the onfield decision was no goal.

You hear him say send that to the TV so that should confirm that they aren’t in direct conversation with the commentators which was a ludicrous discussion on here the other week. :))
Wasnt it souness that said it on talksport?

I wonder what the frame rate is on the camera and screens, 24fps perhaps? That must feed into any potential error.

Edit: that’s in relation to the offside, I gave up watching before the penalty as it was such hard work to listen to.
Likewise didn't finish it, better things to do than have my brain fried.

Folk are debating the cross hairs not because of what they see on the screen for that particular match though, but to re-inforce whatever their current opinion of VAR in general happens to be - generally its the naysayers who are going down the cross hairs route.

That's a little binary. The technology has seemed to work well in our Europa games but for some reason its use in the EPL and SPFL is farcical.

That's a little binary. The technology has seemed to work well in our Europa games but for some reason its use in the EPL and SPFL is farcical.
The semi-automated stuff in the Champions League works very well. Decisions in the Europa League can, occasionally, be flaky but its generally well applied. SPFL though, despite us now getting penalties we wouldn't have otherwise, is still a mess. VAR Lite, as we have, with its limited cameras, does improve things but when we compare it to elsewhere we look awful. In England I think the issue is with their interpretation and application rather than the tech. They take a different line to UEFA on a few matters I believe.

End of the day, the best tech in the World isn't going to stop debate over subjective decisions such as whether the Chelsea guy should have got red for the tackle or not though.

I agree, a dive is punishable by a free kick so shouldn't have got as far as the penalty and red card for the Romero challenge.

Would Romero still have been sent off because of the reckless challenge (on the assumption it was worthy of a red in the first place) if the free kick had been given against Sterling?
But the "dive" wasn't awarded as a penalty

VAR can't give that as a free kick because it wasn't a "wrong" decision as such.

Had they given the free kick on Sterling, or for that matter the goal, Romero should have still been sent off for SFP yes

Last edited:
They got the right decisions eventually but why are they working in reverse, that doesn’t make sense and the whole process time would have been shortened if they had looked at the incident in the correct order.
Because if it wasn't offside, it'd be a goal

You're not going back to a penalty and wiping a goal off the board without checking that aspect first

Ultimately, had he been onside, they may well have missed the red card as they might not have gone back and checked that aspect

End of the day, the best tech in the World isn't going to stop debate over subjective decisions such as whether the Chelsea guy should have got red for the tackle or not though.
Agree with this and it's an important point. We need to apply an element of reasonableness to decision making and be okay with it. We can have some debate about decisions backed up by a reasonable process which keeps the flow of the game going, or debate based on farcical obsessing over subjective mm decisions which take several minutes without providing absolute clarity.

Thought it was quite interesting that he called over Son to explain to him what was about to happen. Then proceeded to go about the carding, pointing, etc.

Good communication, which probably means they get the dialogue before the crowd reaction and it becoming a noisy chaos.

VAR should be used to clear up offsides, penalties and red card offences.
This taking it way back for a foul that a ref is looking at and waves play on is nonsense. Its not meant to re-ref games.

The offside is ridiculous it's literally millimetres in it so within a margin of error - goal should be allowed to stand. The red card was a great spot though. I didn't even notice it in real time.

A VAR who wanted to rule out a Rangers goal for offside or in order to allow everyone to ignore a handball by a celtic player has a lot of leeway to do just that. Just put the lines wherever you want.

You hear him say send that to the TV so that should confirm that they aren’t in direct conversation with the commentators which was a ludicrous discussion on here the other week. :))
It
It was Tom English who said that they can hear every word the var guys are saying but can’t talk to them when he was talking about our game v Celtic

It took a fair amount of time. But for those saying it takes too long and to get rid of it, how many penalties have refs given us this season without VAR intervening?

That's the semi-automated stuff we saw in our Play-Off game v PSV at Ibrox. It was a very tight call whether Dessers was offside before playing that lovely pass to Matondo for his goal. The semi-automated VAR had the decision in under a minute and immediately had the AI generated graphic on TV. Due to be introduced in the EPL next season.

12 roof mounted cameras, up to 29 data points on each player and a microchip in the football.

Unlikely we ever see it in Scotland though.
We played a game recently where they couldn't afford a pump to blow the balls up.

Thats not true. If it was given as not offside, they could/should have still sent him off for the same reason.

They should broadcast the audio and images live - that way for decisions that take a long time the crowd are engaged. Plus the crowd and players can understand in real time what is happening.

The one part of the system I trusted implicitly before was the offside as I thought the lines were controlled by some form of software - not drawn at the whim of the officials.

Now that's the biggest doubt for me - especially as the Scottish lines don't show the vertical cross hair to illustrate which part of the body the line is being drawn from so there is no way to tell if Connor and co. have drawn the line from a few inches inside or outside the player..

Took too long, but there were multiple incidents to review. In the end, the decisions were correct.

That's what we want isn't it, correct decisions?
shouldnt they have reviewed it in the other order though? check the pen then everything else is ignored? took far too long do it the wrong way round i agree.

I wonder what the frame rate is on the camera and screens, 24fps perhaps? That must feed into any potential error.

Edit: that’s in relation to the offside, I gave up watching before the penalty as it was such hard work to listen to.
25 frames per second apparently. Was discussed when they were analysing Coventry's offside goal v Man Utd last week.

shouldnt they have reviewed it in the other order though? check the pen then everything else is ignored? took far too long do it the wrong way round i agree.
Post #19, #22 and #68 cover that mate. I’d also add that the only decision taken at that stage was that of the Linesman, who flagged for offside.

It's serious foul play. He was getting sent off whatever the decision was.

Given the amount of incident that needed checked, I actually thought the VAR team did well, and communicated with Michael Oliver really well too.
Yep. I watched that game live and the sequence of events in that period of play was mad, they reached the right decisions in the right order there.

It all looks a bit haphazard with the left a bit, ooops right a bit
Yip. Subjective and open to abuse. Plus measuring it to the split second of when the ball was struck. This is why I think there needs to be a margin of error built in for offsides. No way they're as accurate as they like to pretend they are. Quite honestly, if they need to decide if someone is a millimetre onside or a millimetre offside, they can give it whatever way they choose and it's impossible to prove otherwise.

No because Chelsea's goal would have been awarded if the offside was not correct. They had to start with that.

Fascinating to see and hear it all, it’s quite a high pressure situation for the VAR team with the world watching, can hear it in their voices.

What I took from the offside call was that it was as precise as it can possibly be with the technology available. The VAR team (3 people?) worked together using the technology to come to the correct decision. It's amazes me that people can't accept offside calls or want to introduce a margin of error or let tight calls go.

The whole video was a great endorsement of how VAR works, why it works and why it's a great thing for football in general. In time, as the technology improves and officials become more comfortable with the technology and processes, VAR will only improve.

What's the fuss about?

It's offside, it's a penalty and potential ankle breaker whether he got the ball first or not.

Every decision is correct.

Back