The banter years -worst XI

Argyriou gave me the fear when the ball went near him. With his back passes to the keeper and he just seemed so clumsy. He must’ve actually put effort in to being so poor. Surely it would’ve been easier just to play poorly rather than actually trying to be bad.

Kyle Hutton, Steve Simonsen and Kevin Kyle were all particularly poor football players. They'd be in my worse XI for certain.

I remember the clamour for Hutton to play as well. I suspect I was very much part of that. He just never took his chance on the odd occasion he got it.

I'd go for...

Simonsen
Argyriou
Perry
Cribari
Smith
Faure
Black
Hutton
Sandaza
Boyd
Kyle

Some of the younger lads like Naismith miss out due to lack of appearances. The fact Boyd makes the XI before the likes of Jon Daly shows just how utterly inept he was in his second spell with us.

Yet Foster was on the radio at the weekend, complaining about not being in the Scotland team.
I agree with the OP,in including him in his team

Hated Foster the player, one of the very worst we've had. Hated Foster the person, his attitude was stinking. I actually think he hated the support.

That's me all hated out.

Inspired by this weeks heart and hand podcast, who makes the cut for you?

Using the official banter years timeframe of division 3 until end of Championship season with Warburton, who makes your worst XI?

Formations are irrelevant to any great degree (much the same as the formations during the actual matches of the banter years)

Simonsen
Argyriou
Cribari
Perry
Faure
Foster
Black
Hutton
Templeton
Sandazza
Kyle

Another stupid pointless negative thread. We don’t need to look back at this garbage.
Last week it was ex players we don’t like

It's perhaps not a popular view on here - especially given how he left and the Cup Final debacle - but Warburton really did turn around an utter crash of a club on the playing side and give us some self respect and belief back even if it was short lived.

Deserves some respect for that, however grudgingly it is offered

People lump Warburton in with Pedro and Murty. I think thats very harsh. It was a very shrewd appointment by the board at the time and it was almost universally welcomed. Shame how it ended but that season had some amazing highs, results and performances.

Another stupid pointless negative thread. We don’t need to look back at this garbage.
Last week it was ex players we don’t like
I really hate the prevalence of a number of posters on here who try to limit what we can and can't talk about.

We are football fans on a football forum who discuss all aspects of our team and football in general.

If you have anything resembling a sense of humour you can look back and laugh at some of the horrific football we've endured. If not and it's upsetting to you, just stay out of the thread. It's not difficult.

Anyone suggesting Nicky Law or Dean Shiels needs their head checked. Granted, there wasn't much to pick from, but they were probably my two favourite players of that period. I'm genuinely shocked that they both managed to rack up over 100 appearances each though

Half of them were so shit I can’t remember their names or positions!

Special mention to Ian Black though.

I can't believe some of the people (I wouldn't even call them footballers as I believe I would have done better if I didn't go off the rails as a kid) that have had the privilege to pull on our jersey and play in front of our amazing fans at Ibrox, and get paid thousands each week for the pleasure.

There was some very painful times over those past 6 years but I will always keep them as a reminder of where we have been, and how we where treated by certain people, clubs and organisations. Any future success will be celebrated like never before and I will let every hater know all about it more relentless than ever.

What a journey.

If you have anything resembling a sense of humour you can look back and laugh at some of the horrific football we've endured. If not and it's upsetting to you, just stay out of the thread. It's not difficult.

This. If you can’t look back now on, say, things like that photo shoot where Black and a bunch of other players only had gigantic XXL shorts to wear, and not have a bit of a laugh, you’re taking everything far too serious.

It's perhaps not a popular view on here - especially given how he left and the Cup Final debacle - but Warburton really did turn around an utter crash of a club on the playing side and give us some self respect and belief back even if it was short lived.

Deserves some respect for that, however grudgingly it is offered
All true - And we would have fkd about down there indefinitely under McCoist/Mcall types.

Problem was, Warburton hit his ceiling really quickly and didn't have sufficient experience to deal with the pressure.

Unfair on Boyd and Aird.

In what why?

Boyd came back to the club in 2014 a fat unfit mess, think his goal return was 4 in the Championship ffs.

Aird may well be a good bluenose and tried his best but ultimately he wasn’t good enough. I don’t remember a particular attribute that stood out, his delivery in particular was absolutely shocking.

Overall this thread has gave some interesting viewpoints. I struggle to see why anyone would have Law or Shiels in their worst XI especially with their contribution in Warburtons first season. Also strange to see Mbabu, Bigirimana and Streete mentioned as between them I don’t think they played 45 minutes combined. That fat bastard Ashley might have sent them up unfit etc but it was hardly their fault.

All about opinions I guess

I'd have to go looking to fill a starting line up and I have no wish to do that.

However, the guys that stick in my mind, the ones that still irritate my memory:

Aird
Law
Black
Templeton
Clark
Boyd

Inspired by this weeks heart and hand podcast, who makes the cut for you?

Using the official banter years timeframe of division 3 until end of Championship season with Warburton, who makes your worst XI?

Formations are irrelevant to any great degree (much the same as the formations during the actual matches of the banter years)

Simonsen
Argyriou
Cribari
Perry
Faure
Foster
Black
Hutton
Templeton
Sandazza
Kyle

'Banter Years ' is tim chat. No saying you are but it's no a term of endearment.

Probably want to flag that to the guys on the podcast mate and admin on here who used it and in which the OP was based

I hear you mate and I wasn't having a dig. I am maybe just being ultra staunch but usually when I hear the 'banter year's' being mentioned it's usually said by tims in groups followed by them laughing at Rangers. We should be ignoring the term cos it no about the light hearted 'craic'.

I hear you mate and I wasn't having a dig. I am maybe just being ultra staunch but usually when I hear the 'banter year's' being mentioned it's usually said by tims in groups followed by them laughing at Rangers. We should be ignoring the term cos it no about the light hearted 'craic'.

If you were staunch like me mate, you wouldn’t be hanging about with Tim’s in the first place to hear them say it ;)

The very sight of Ian Black's name makes me mad.
Steve Simonsen - I don't think I have seen or will see a worse keeper for us.

If you were staunch like me mate, you wouldn’t be hanging about with Tim’s in the first place to hear them say it ;)

Haha unfortunately my employer isn't staunch and will hire their sort. They generally keep clear of me cos they know I will remind them of dirt under their carpet.

Well,that's two years of hypnotherapy out of the window. Names that I was trying to forget suddenly came flashing back with a vengeance. Knew I shouldn't have opened this thread.

I recall an admin threatening banning people for using the term “old lady” when referring to Ibrox.
“Banter years” is infinitely worse and should carry an automatic ban.

Back